Changes in the 3DS version

Here I will be compiling a list of changes made to the 3DS version of the game.

* The number of the same item you can have in your bag has increased from 50 to 99.

*The stairs leading to the old man's house (the one you give the ancient scroll to) is now on the bottom left hand side of the map instead of the top right part of the map.

* The Pearl Orb that was in the well in the PS1 version is not in the 3DS version. It has been replaced with a Tiny Medal.

* You remember in town during the part when Hondora is sleeping in his room, and you can get the Hot Stone from him? It's not present then.

However, before Kiefer joins your party while in his room, he gives you the Hot Stone. Apparently, Kiefer took the Hot Stone from Hondora while he's sleeping. You can return the Hot Stone to him while he's still sleeping too.

* When you enter the ruins, the layout is way different than the PS1 version. The first room in the 3DS version is the room with the 4 statues. What's different about that room in the 3DS version is that the 4 small ruins in the pedestal room are now in the statue room. The mysterious Fairy character is in the statue room to give you hints.

* The first two stone shards are found in the room with the 4 saint statues instead of the pedastal room (where the 4 small ruins used to be in the PS1 version)

* Remember in the PS1 version how all the Saints equipment was in the main ruins underground? Now you have to exit the ruins, and exit to the world map. There is a location on the world map north of Fishbel, kind of by Grand Estard. That's the location you need to go to. In there, there are 2 small ruins. In the basement of these ruins is where you find the 4 saints equipment.

* Some of the stone shards are no longer in the same places they were in on the PS1 version.

* During the scene in Engow (past) when the elder gives you torches, they're mini torches on top of a hat. The PS1 version, they're just holding plain torches.

* In the sealed cave where you face Deathpal, and in battle, the anti-magic zone is removed in the 3DS version. You can use magic against Deathpal in the 3DS version, unlike the PS1 version where you couldn't because of the anti-magic zone.

Edited by DranzerX13
  • Upvote 1

This game looks amazing. I ended up requesting a refund though last week from NCSX and I'm glad I did because 1. Some bills came in unexpectedly and they have to be paid before I place my order 2. Because of the weather, I am going to have to wait anyway.

I can't wait to get this, but it seems like they changed a lot. I really loved the original, and hope that the changes were not for the worse.

• Upvote 1

I can't wait to get this, but it seems like they changed a lot. I really loved the original, and hope that the changes were not for the worse.

This I totally agree with.

I have always wished that the developers would do a few things when remaking games.

-Give a set of options to have the original translation, spell names, monster names, difficulty etc. That way it would be possible to do things like, keep the original translation and difficulty, but use the optimized interface options (like the heal everyone option),  or the stores auto equipping or auto sorting bags.

-Instead of giving us bonus dungeons that end up being very repetative and pointless (see the 4,5 and 6 remakes on DS) give an option to unlock the original version of the game, a 1 for 1 port.

While I do enjoy the remakes I find that they are somewhat lacking compared to the originals. Im currently playing through DQ4 on both DS and NES at the same time, going chapter for chapter. The difference in difficulty is astounding. For instance in the DS version, I cleared Chptr 1 and 2 with next to no grinding and still breezed through both very quickly, while on the NES version, it took me much longer and Im even playing with XP and Gold boost cheats (yes Im lazy and I have cleared it many times with out), I mean I actually had characters die a couple of times and even got wiped in the Endor tourney!

On the subject of DQ IV difficulty change. That was immediately apparent in the first chapter. I didn't have to buy anything and more or less hopped and skipped(not literally skipping anything, I mean as in the way some would walk) my way through it to the end of that chapter. It so insanely easy compared to the original.

But yeah, they certainly have been changing quite a bit just at the beginning of DQVII. Maybe some of these alterations cut out a chunk of that supposed 3 hour lack of fighting the original had. Though I would note, it took me quite a bit less than 3 hours toget to the first fight in the original. I think they estimated 3 hours because of how difficult it was to progress to the first fight the first time through it. Maybe these changes will make this section of the game seem less of a chore to some people that didn't accept the original very well.

Finally, the job system in the Nintendo 3DS version of Dragon Quest VII has been revamped as well. Originally, you could carry skills learned from a previous job which, while it allowed for great customization, also ultimately led to all the characters being the same. The uniqueness of the job was lost. This was changed so that if you change jobs, you could only “do that one job.†While this is a risky change, Fujimoto states that this change had actually come about through the many comments of those who had played the original game.

Read more at http://www.siliconera.com/2013/02/10/how-dragon-quest-vii-was-inspired-by-myst-and-why-its-better-on-3ds/#XTbJjbhDF3PHSvxT.99

Ruined forever.

They borked the job system up. Now monster classes are literally worthless.

Edited by KiTA

God, finally off work and still steamed. They talk about in that interview how they felt they had to dumb down DQ7 because modern gamers are too stupid to play RPGs. It's the same stupid asinine mentality that brought us FFXIII. Jesus christ. Never thought it would affect DQ games.

• Upvote 1

...seriously?

vader.jpg

This is one of my biggest gripes about VIII and IX (I know, VIII didn't have a class system, but having to have certain weapons equipped to use abilities is close enough for me). Thankfully I'll always have the PS1 version to not let me down. cry.gif

Edited by GrandAlchemist
  • Upvote 1

Quick question, but it might be too early to tell yet: does the wisdom stat affect the potency of spells and certain abilities like in the Level-5 games, or does it still function as magic evasion like in V, VI and the original VII (stat of 410 equating to a 41% chance to dodge a spell, etc.)?

Also, every last one of you who has been complaining about the changes should be ashamed of yourselves; I thought the DQ community was more mature than the common fandom, but no, you lot of self-entitled brats has proven that wrong. I swear to Celestia, I can practically hear the fleet of waaaaambulances coming to pick you whiners up.

Finally, the job system in the Nintendo 3DS version of Dragon Quest VII has been revamped as well. Originally, you could carry skills learned from a previous job which, while it allowed for great customization, also ultimately led to all the characters being the same. The uniqueness of the job was lost. This was changed so that if you change jobs, you could only “do that one job.†While this is a risky change, Fujimoto states that this change had actually come about through the many comments of those who had played the original game.

Read more at http://www.siliconera.com/2013/02/10/how-dragon-quest-vii-was-inspired-by-myst-and-why-its-better-on-3ds/#XTbJjbhDF3PHSvxT.99

Ruined forever.

Well, I will guess that this means complete or partial revamp of every class. At least the end of empty class level up.

The goal is to make every class more unique and usefull in it's own right.

We have to wait for someone to confirm this, but I don't think than they are stupid. That means that you will have to think more carefully, and won't have a broken game anymore.

That is a major change, but if handled correcly, it could make the game more interresting.

(Know that even if I never played it before, I'm trying to convince myself as much as I'm trying to convince you)

Edited by Holy Slime Knight

Ruined forever.

I need play again Dragon Warrior VII (PSX) for remember that.   :overjoyed2: Comiiiiingg to play it !!! 

Long Life to King Trode  ^^

Ruined forever.

This is not entirely correct. Skills that are exclusive to the regular classes carry over. The ones that are learned by advanced jobs don't.

Here is a chart that illustrates how it works: http://dragon-quest7.game1wiki.com/index.php?%E6%94%BB%E6%92%83%E7%89%B9%E6%8A%80

Any skill with a circle by it will persist through class change, the ones with X do not.

Here are all of the pages:

Restorative magic

Restorative skills

Offensive magic

Offensive skills

Miscellaneous magic

Miscellaneous skills - sadly, this one isn't really filled out all the way yet.

What's everyone fussing about?  We all know that the original DQVII's class system was horribly unbalanced.  By the end of the game you've grinded every character into a Godhand-Summoner-Hero who can kill everything with Ultrahit.  Making advanced class skills exclusive sounds like a smart choice and encourages the player to train each character with a different final class destination in mind.  I'd say this is a good compromise between customization and class balance.

Also, every last one of you who has been complaining about the changes should be ashamed of yourselves; I thought the DQ community was more mature than the common fandom, but no, you lot of self-entitled brats has proven that wrong. I swear to Celestia, I can practically hear the fleet of waaaaambulances coming to pick you whiners up.

Ashamed for voicing an opinion? Now you're just being absurd.
  • Upvote 2

Ruined forever.

This is not entirely correct. Skills that are exclusive to the regular classes carry over. The ones that are learned by advanced jobs don't.

Here is a chart that illustrates how it works: http://dragon-quest7.game1wiki.com/index.php?%E6%94%BB%E6%92%83%E7%89%B9%E6%8A%80

Any skill with a circle by it will persist through class change, the ones with X do not.

Restorative magic

Restorative skills

Offensive magic

Offensive skills

Miscellaneous magic

I was wondering about it. Good to know. :thumbsup:

Quick question, but it might be too early to tell yet: does the wisdom stat affect the potency of spells and certain abilities like in the Level-5 games, or does it still function as magic evasion like in V, VI and the original VII (stat of 410 equating to a 41% chance to dodge a spell, etc.)?

I think it's not too unreasonable to expect a game to still have challenge?  That is my biggest concern.  That and the cuts they made to the story.  The shifts to the class system seem alright.

• Upvote 1

Ruined forever.

Restorative magic

Restorative skills

Offensive magic

Offensive skills

Miscellaneous magic

Ooh... Awesome ! I knew we could trust them. 

I really hope it'll come in Europe, now.... (We didn't even had the original...)

I was FURIOUS when I read that class skills/spells were exclusive. I hated IX for that. BUT I think I'm OK with it just applying to advanced classes. Do monster class skills carry?

The cuts to the story do make me angry though. Are all the puzzles in the ruins cut, or are they just moved around?

I was FURIOUS when I read that class skills/spells were exclusive. I hated IX for that. BUT I think I'm OK with it just applying to advanced classes. Do monster class skills carry?

The cuts to the story do make me angry though. Are all the puzzles in the ruins cut, or are they just moved around?

Many monster skills carry over.  Some of the more powerful ones that are also learned by advanced classes do not.

I also really want to point out the level of buffing they did to advanced classes.  They learn so many more skills in this version to make up for skills not carrying over. An example: スクルト/kabuff/increase used to be a hybrid skill between priest and shepherd, although evil turtle and bomb crag learned it too.  In this remake, that ability is learned by magic warrior, sage, beastmaster, godhand, and hero.  Worried about hustle dance? Summoner learns it now too, in addition to superstar. In general, many of the more essential abilities have been spread around.  It's the same story for フãƒãƒ¼ãƒ/barrier and others.

As for the puzzles, the intro dungeon is cut completely. However, everything after that up to where I am (just finished the Gracos segment) is intact (well, aside from a couple of story bits in Dialac).

The dungeon is CUT!?!?!?!?!? I know a lot of people disliked that part, but it made the game so much more mysterious, and I doubt it has anywhere near the same feel as the original without it. (plus I thought it was fun, except for the different color things, because I'm colorblind lol.)

Though, in a way that kind of helps out my fangame... I thought adding the puzzles would be a little redundant considering that Arus and Keifer (and the player, assuming they played DWVII) already knew the solutions.

Slimming down the intro section was a good call.  It's not a "cut to the story," it's a cut to extemporaneous gameplay section that's not necessary in a title that's already one hundred hours long. 

I've ordered my copy but it hasn't shipped yet.  I should have it by next week.

I'm ok with the changes so far. I don't dislike the beginning dungeon but I won't miss it. I like the idea of not all skills being transferred over, but I'm not sure there's a need to add more skills to classes to make up for it.

To be honest, deep down i'm kinda glad they are removing the beginning dungeon so we can get to the first fight faster. When i first played VII, the lack of battles at the beginning of the game was a bit of a turn off for me my first time through, almost made me put the game down. It's kinda why i dont recommend VII for an introduction to DQ. Maybe the edits will change it though.