Mimas

DQX Questions and Answers

Anyone seen how the tablet is used for the Wii U version? Is it just for menus/maps? Can it be used for the whole game?

My understanding is that it can be used for the whole game and that two players can play simultaneously, one on TV and one on the gamepad.

Can't it also be used for text input, yo? I know lots of folks gripe about X's current 'keyboard' set up if you don't have an actual keyboard.

If I recall correctly from the presentation they gave a while back, you can play the game on your tablet screen as well as use it as a virtual keyboard.  beyond that, I don't remember them saying what it is used

Hey mimas, what do you think of this build setup?

http://cpro.jp/dq10/skillsimulator/?QQjIAAAWkEIAZAAFpBCAAABpYQQgAAAeUEEIAAAFGQ-AAAABhSQQgB0AAUkEIoAAAGRBCMhAABSQQAAAyAREEIAAKAGRBCKAAABk

Basically enables me to Main Paladin and Battlemaster, but allow use of Priest and Sage as well.

You want the final Priest skill if you plan on going into boss battles as a priest.

From the WiiU Beta you can switch the screen from your tv to your gamepad and back (the TV will go blank when not in use). No, there is no two player that way. Yes, you can input onto a virtual keyboard on the Gamepad. It works just as a keyboard in the TV main screen version, but is an overlay ontop of the game when you do it from the Gamepad view. So far I would say a keyboard is more comfortable.

No, there is no two player that way. 

Hmmm, this feature was supposedly confirmed in a Nintendo Direct last September but I'm having trouble finding any concrete info on it. Maybe it was scrapped?

Is using a western keyboard difficult for typing the Japanese characters in it, or is it fine? And how useful is Luminary?

Hmmm, this feature was supposedly confirmed in a Nintendo Direct last September but I'm having trouble finding any concrete info on it. Maybe it was scrapped?

Well, I do not remember anything of the sort in the Nintendo Direct, so perhaps it was a news website that mistranslated or misunderstood the Direct where you got that information?

Is using a western keyboard difficult for typing the Japanese characters in it, or is it fine? And how useful is Luminary?

For typing Japanese characters there isn't really much difference in the keyboard layout for the characters themselves. Pretty easy if you have ever typed in Japanese on a normal PC. (I could give you a link if you are interested). Most of  the difference comes from trying to type symbols. Saigan could tell you about trying to type apostrophes on an American Keyboard.

Luminary, well it has its benefits. The body guard is a pretty useful skill in a pinch, as long as you have the money. The skill points themselves are good for me since I need the fan points.

Well, I do not remember anything of the sort in the Nintendo Direct, so perhaps it was a news website that mistranslated or misunderstood the Direct where you got that information?

>Is using a western keyboard difficult for typing the Japanese characters in it, or is it fine? And how useful is Luminary?

For typing Japanese characters there isn't really much difference in the keyboard layout for the characters themselves. Pretty easy if you have ever typed in Japanese on a normal PC. (I could give you a link if you are interested). Most of  the difference comes from trying to type symbols. Saigan could tell you about trying to type apostrophes on an American Keyboard.

Luminary, well it has its benefits. The body guard is a pretty useful skill in a pinch, as long as you have the money. The skill points themselves are good for me since I need the fan points.

Shift+7 ^_^;

The keyboard is similar except for the placement of special characters which are located on different keys for Japan. Where we have an apostrophe on US boards the Japanese counterpart is the semicolon.

Hey mimas, what do you think of this build setup?

http://cpro.jp/dq10/skillsimulator/?QQjIAAAWkEIAZAAFpBCAAABpYQQgAAAeUEEIAAAFGQ-AAAABhSQQgB0AAUkEIoAAAGRBCMhAABSQQAAAyAREEIAAKAGRBCKAAABk

Basically enables me to Main Paladin and Battlemaster, but allow use of Priest and Sage as well.

You want the final Priest skill if you plan on going into boss battles as a priest.

From the WiiU Beta you can switch the screen from your tv to your gamepad and back (the TV will go blank when not in use). No, there is no two player that way. Yes, you can input onto a virtual keyboard on the Gamepad. It works just as a keyboard in the TV main screen version, but is an overlay ontop of the game when you do it from the Gamepad view. So far I would say a keyboard is more comfortable.

Thats easily fixed then, just gotta gain a few lvs on Superstar to max out stick so I can take points from it on priest to max out Priest skill.

I hope it's not a mistranslation; a member at Talking Time jogged my memory, it came from a tweet by John Riccardi who works as a translator for 8-4. But seeing as I can find no other info on it...

Edited by Excitemike

As usual, Mimas comes through with tons of info. Very awesome read here.

And yes, from my experience in action rpg mmos, being a healer is quite tough. Just hope you are in good company. If I ever get to play, I won't party with random people so easily. Some people are very annoying to be around when playing a mmorpg. As healer, you would see "HEAL! HEAL! HEAL!" While the person crying that out is running out of range of your spell and not really in danger. Tankers and other sorts get similar issues as well.

Some people are just not worth teaming up with. This is part of why I rather go solo in mmo games at first, to get used to the game and enjoy it on my own. Then I team up with people that I can consider friends and help them out. That's how I plan to play this game if I ever get it.

And yeah, I seen a commercial for the Wii U. Some girl wanted to watch tv, but the little boy wanted to keep playing the Wii U. He just switch to playing on the tablet while she watches tv. That would be so awesome to have right now, but can't afford it yet. Hopefully, by the time DQX comes here(hopefully it does), I'll be able to afford the Wii U and the game.

Edited by MetroidXPS

Yeah, I have the WiiU version. It really is pretty, though I can't exactly describe why. The orchestra music adds a few beats so the opening animation has an extra scene. The music is of course wonderful, but it is a mixed bag as far as having it in the game. Somehow the train music just doesn't sound right to me anymore. Using the gamepad as a keyboard is annoying, and it is much better to stick with the normal keyboard. Still getting used to the controls.

• Upvote 2

70: Can a gladiator wield a Sword in one hand and a Mace in the other?

Yes.

71: Are boomerangs worth using?

I would say most people would say no. But maybe things will change with the new "Coin Boss" where all three of the major bosses from DQII attack at once. In that case maybe a multiattack weapon will find more use. It is a dangerous weapon though when you are fighting bosses or monsters that can enchant a party member because if you get enchanted you could attack everyone in your party at once, and if someone in your party gets enchanted you will be attacking them as well as your normal opponent.

72: How do Bows handle?

I haven't put any skill points in bows yet. When you use one your character will move closer to the monster to be in range of hitting it, so it doesn't guarantee that you will be a safe distance from attacks. I believe the distance you can shoot increases either with skill points or with level though (I am not certain about this). I would say bows are more popular than boomerangs currently. Edited by Mimas

So since a Gladiator can use a sword and mace at the same time, is he able to use skills for either as well? Does it hurt his damage at all to wield different weapons?

I haven't tried (I don't have skills in either) but I am pretty sure they can. The left hand hits weaker.

Yes there are 'strong' bosses which drops 'rare' materials, although it isn't all that rare since they are hunted like crazy.

There are also 'coin' bosses where you use a consumable 'coin' item in order to fight it. They drop rare accessories.

Hey mimas, how long do you think it would take a normal person to go to 70 as well as max extra skill points on each class, if he played at least 8 hours a day?

Also, is their any abilities, or equipment that can lower or negate risk of being critical hit?

If you really focus on optimal grinding, I would say about 3 months to get all 70.

Extra skill points take about 15 hours per class maybe。

There is a shield skill at 100 that blocks all critical hits.

Oh so thats what the 100 shield skill does.  How does it work? You use it and it protects you for a set time?  Does it allow you to keep using commands even after using it?

Yeah you can enter commands. You use it, and it just makes you immune to criticals for 3 minutes or so.

It also increases your overall block rate significantly from what I can tell. As of right now though you'd be better off picking one non passive line, and putting all your other points into passives. 

Yeah you only need the shield skill for some Orb bosses etc.

For leveling, it's best to stick to improving damage.