Mimas

DQX Questions and Answers

Glad you got it working! Enjoy!

When I imported the game, I got the version that includes a USB stick. Aye, I wanted to cover all my bases.

All right, so here is what I did. I was paranoid about bricking my Wii, so I went to GameStop and bought a refurbished Wii to be the "Dragon Quest Wii". I got homebrew on it, and spent all morning looking over various tutorial vidoes and web pages. Loaded up IOS236 and then put on Any Region Changer, closed my eyes and started praying "Please don't brick. Please don't brick. Please don't brick."

It didn't brick, and my refurbished Wii succesfully switched over to Japanese.

I loaded in the disk, and got some strange JP message I couldn't understand, and it took me back to the menu. I put in the other disk, and it started installing to the USB. After a while it came up with another message with a 2 in it, so I figured it wanted the 2nd disk and put that one in. It looks to be still installing so I THINK I have this good to go now.

As for the game absolutely requiring online, I thought I read that there was an offline mode where you play as your sibling. Tha's what I intend to play the most. If I really do have to go online, I'll see if I can temporarily set up a VPN and maybe access the game just once during that free childrens time just so I can connect and unlock the offline mode. I'll cross that bridge when and if it comes.

I'd like to say "Thanks for your help" but I seem to have more or less figured this out on my own. XD But hey I still appreciate the topic here and it's nice to see the guides so maybe I'll still hang around and discuss all things DQX with you folks.

Edit:

All right, I've now played through to the end of the "tutorial" part and reached the point where you are supposed to go online. I made my "online" character, and as expected, it didn't actually let me go online when it tried to connect, I got some kind of Japanese error message and it sent me back to the Wii menu. When I re-launched the game, I WAS able to access the offline mode where you play as the main character's sibling without ever having to connect to the Internet. This mode is the whole reason I imported the game, so I'm very happy to be able to confirm that it is accessible without connecting to the servers. =)

Good stuff, glad you're diggin' the game!

Another question. How many dungeons does the game currently have? And does each dungeon have different modes? Like one for a normal playthrough and another at level cap? Like normal, legend, heroic, etc.

Also, is gear classified by classes for either rarity or strength. Ie rare, epic. Legend. And finally is the best gear dropped or crafted? It seemed bosses dropped materials so I'd think crafting?

The so called "instant dungeons" are "random" like the grottos in DQIX. They have a level(like a grotto) but it is based on the average level of the team. Currently there is a bug where a level 60 team probably causes something to overflow and you end up in a level 30 dungeon.

There is a rarity level on gear but it does not really mean anything. The most important classification is the minimum level required. Crafted is always the best because even for things you can buy at the armor store, a slightly more than competently crafted equipment will give you better stats.

I just imported Dragon Quest X. I have no interest in going online with it, I only plan to play the offline content.

You do get the first 20 days subscription free, but I can understand if the VPN and the like is too much of a hassle for you.

You might have already answered this, and forgive me if you have, but a question just occured to me. How easy is it to get high end gear? Stuff like the Metal King equipment?

You might have already answered this, and forgive me if you have, but a question just occurred to me. How easy is it to get high end gear? Stuff like the Metal King equipment?

Nothing that high is available yet. The highest stuff available is really expensive at the bazaar. I have not checked recently but 60,000G for something. To put that in prospective, I currently have 360,000G. A full set would probably leave me broke!

They better keep the US/EU version of DQX with the same difficulty the JPs have it. Was that Whip handling woman you and saigan went up against supposed to be taken on at around lv 33?

They better keep the US/EU version of DQX with the same difficulty the JPs have it. Was that Whip handling woman you and saigan went up against supposed to be taken on at around lv 33?

The problems we had with Juliante were mainly due to the age old "don't stand in fire". Her big AoE Charm attack gives you time to back up. Time I was not using because I hadn't recognized how dangerous it was. She is probably perfectly manageable with a party of high-20s.

You can beat her high 20's but she is pretty hard at that level, and you probably have to resort to attacking your own party members to un-charm them. The move has a pretty large area it affects so it is hard to run away in time. Yeah, the fact that we were all standing around her made it harder, but we were not really a balanced team either.

I think I did her high 20s. It's a while ago now.

What's the deal with the second menu option when selecting online mode, before the patch check screen. Never saw it before, afraid to click on it!

Been busy otherwise id be asking questions, gonna look at more of Saigans vids when I can, been engrossed with a new Level-5 game that came out, already 40 hours into it, got another 30 or so hours I reckon.

Gotta ask but, since you gotta get 6 of those medals, isnt getting them pretty trivialized if you got a party of max level characters? Feels like they shoulda put a Level Capper based on the boss/dungeon your doing, like what FFXI did, basically cap your level at a certain level, but let you utilize any traits/skills you earned.

Gotta ask but, since you gotta get 6 of those medals, isnt getting them pretty trivialized if you got a party of max level characters? Feels like they shoulda put a Level Capper based on the boss/dungeon your doing, like what FFXI did, basically cap your level at a certain level, but let you utilize any traits/skills you earned.

This is a possibility but keep in mind that DQ is much more leisurely experience than other RPGs. The design here is closer to a "let the players play" experience. I cut my teeth on FFXI and to date it is still one of the most challenging MMOs I've ever touched (not counting MUDs). There was a real sense of reward when you accomplished something but it also drove away many fans of the series by simply not feeling like a Final Fantasy.

DQX is, at its core, still DQ and I feel they made the right decision in this aspect of the design.

That's what I was kind of worried about. FFXI looks great and fun, but as you said, it does deviate from its source quite a bit. I'm getting more and more impatient by the day for this game, your videos are keeping me going, Saigan!

• Upvote 1

What's the deal with the second menu option when selecting online mode, before the patch check screen. Never saw it before, afraid to click on it!

Delete your character. Yeah, you do not want to select that one (did that once on one of my DQ7 saves because I was not paying attention to what I was doing, at least I had a back-up I had made 100 hours earlier). 

Sure you can get 6 Key Emblems easily with a max party but that is how it is in all DQ games. DQ9 is pretty easy if you have a friend help you thru multiplayer. But really, as a player, how would a cap be a benefit to you? If you want a challenge just do not ask friends for help. The game does not dictate a style of play for you.
  • Upvote 1

60: Are their other ways of getting mini medals other then kills and black boxes?

Well, the quest to get the ability to use them gives you some. Other than that currently it is random monster drops, defeating 100 of a non-boss monster, and black (thief key) chests.

61: Would it be easier if I went armor smith to make my own armor then have someone enchant them? Or is it cheaper to just buy the armor and enchant them myself?

I really cannot say which is "easier" or even which is "cheaper". It depends on how much ingredients you gather yourself and the like. Also what your friends choose to do makes a big difference.

62: Couldnt I just make a low level alt character to do enchants? Or is it not feasible due to requiring certain levels on a class first, as well as needing to get mini Medals for specific recipes?

Yes you could, and many people do that. Since you can buy the recipes you need mini medals for anyways, if you make enough profits on the business you can use them to buy the recipes off the bazaar instead of needing the medals anyway.

63: Whats the recommended level for the current Big Bad?

Back in August I think most people went at 50 (the level cap). If you haven't done much with other classes that is about the right level to go. It is of course quite possible to do at a lower level, and I have heard that someone did it solo (no support characters).

64: Are you and Saigan gonna honestly play the Wii-U DQX US Version when its out? Or might you think ya would get sick of it since its gonna take about a year for our localized released, very much due to the fact that SE currently has most of their resources going into FFXIV 2.0 Renewal and nearly all of their localization staff is busy on that right now, hence why they been trying to hire localizers for awhile now. KH3, FF13Versus, Type 0 Localization, DQ7 3DS localization and other projects have been affected due to FFXIV 2.0 as well.

that is my intention. Cannot speak for Saigan of course. I do not expect to be sick of the game, but I do expect to still be playing it in Japanese, so I might give preference to playing that version. Ad long as they give a budget for it I cannot imagine it being hard to outsource to get the translation done, and they certainly have had plenty of time to do it. Are they currently? I have no clue.

65: How rampant is the RMT situation in DQX? I noticed in one of saigans videos a large train party of ogre females in starter equipment. Looks like the RMTs figured out how to use a Wii Emulator to play the game on PC instead of having to buy Wii Systems to do it, since SE can easily ban the special address every Wii System has built into it, the RMTs decided to go with Emulation on PC.

It happens. The official website posts about their progress trying to stomp it out about once a month. On the other hand, I checking out the video you are talking about, the group you are referring to is probably just dressed up for the realtime camera that often points at the entrance to Glen. People dress up all the time in odd equipment for photos and the like. At least at one point the RMT people were rumored to be real Chinese people employed by a RMT company. They supposedly hang out in a particular area North of the second Elf town. Now, my understanding also is that you cannot emulate the game on PC to play it. What can be done though is abusing the fact that you can control the character with the USB keyboard to have a computer send movement data to the Wii. With capture card hardware someone has even designed a program to do automatic leveling in a select number of dungeons. This sort of thing though can get you banned.

66: Whats the deal with that Iron Golem in Saigans vid? Seems pretty damn powerful to just be lying there.

Hm, maybe Saigan is just weak. :P  Golems in the game are pretty tough as a whole.  He was already in an area where things are hard, and they happen to be one of the harder things you will find out there. Lying there is just part of the golem behavior.

67: I see most paladins with Spears, once Battlemaster and Sage is out, would it be more beneficial if I try to max mace and Paladin trait, or just go with Spear? Shields basically give 30 additional Defense and that block chance when skill maxed, along with the block chance from abilities and the shield itself so makes me wonder if people prefer an offensive paladin or a Defensive one.

I think the current trend is to have a defensive one. As the game currently stands, and Battle Masters might make this change, a Mage tends to do the most damage. Next would be Thieves and Martial Artists when equipped with claws. The purpose of a Paladin is to protect the rest of the party (they have the highest defense and weight if I recall). If you want more material to watch, you can see a Paladin in action in this video against the dungeon boss Atlas. You can note how the Paladin holds Atlas back as the other players keep their distance running in a counter-clockwise direction healing and attacking.

68: How does the server structures work? If you build a character on one server it stays on that server?

Well, you build your character before you get online. Once you log in and connect for the first time you choose a server, and from then on you still always have a choice when you log in which server to connect to (Servers 1 through 40). At anytime in the game you can search servers by going to an inn or going to the housing area (which is on the housing server) and then leaving to go elsewhere. My understanding of the setup behind the scenes is that all of the character data is stored separately from the world data. The main problem this can create is one of the bugs that sometimes (as in it happened last week or so, but the last time it happened before that was August) is that the friend chat or party chat can stop working (lots of people being on at one time is often part of the cause).

69: How powerful are gladiators, especially with that 100 trait ability?

They are physically quite strong. With their critical move that puts them at 100 Tension I've seen them hit 700 off of a monster. Edited by Mimas

Is this game use ATB?  Watching some videos, it didn't seem like the traditional MMO where you had a lot of skills and each have a separate cool down.  Looked like the old fashion Square ATB system where you have to wait before you can use any attacks.

Is this game use ATB?  Watching some videos, it didn't seem like the traditional MMO where you had a lot of skills and each have a separate cool down.  Looked like the old fashion Square ATB system where you have to wait before you can use any attacks.

Correct; it is closer to an ATB system.

Sage, Sage Sage Sage Sage Saaage.

Which makes me think of something: How viable is playing as a healing Priest yourself, vs going offline mode and leveling that way? Typically the AI makes a better healer in Dragon Quest games cause it can react faster than you -- does the in game battle system allow for enough flexibility that you could, say, get a tank and two DPS and play as a healing character yourself, relying on your NPC party members to do damage and tank?

You can level your online character offline?  Is this something that was added in a patch?  The only offline content I am aware of is the tutorial, and the part where you play as your sibling.  I am offline only, so if there is additional content beyond playing as the sibling, please tell me how to access it!  I've never been online, and don't have any patches of any kind.

Sage, Sage Sage Sage Sage Saaage.

Which makes me think of something: How viable is playing as a healing Priest yourself, vs going offline mode and leveling that way? Typically the AI makes a better healer in Dragon Quest games cause it can react faster than you -- does the in game battle system allow for enough flexibility that you could, say, get a tank and two DPS and play as a healing character yourself, relying on your NPC party members to do damage and tank?

You can... SORT OF.

You can turn your online character into an NPC and if people add you to their party, when you log back in you'll gain gold and XP based on how often you're used.

Quick question.

How much those patches (1.2, 1.3) add to the main storyline? Do they expand it after the ending or they are side quests?

Quick question.

How much those patches (1.2, 1.3) add to the main storyline? Do they expand it after the ending or they are side quests?

From what was said, they seem to add more side quests and such, whats worrisome to me is that they seem to remove a few existing quests every major patch, which leads me to believe that if/when they do have it over in the US/EU, they will start us off at version 1.0, with only the basic jobs, entry quests and lv 50 cap to start with, giving us a content update every 8-11 weeks, or, giving us updates every 4 weeks until we are caught up with Japan.

Quick question.

From what was said, they seem to add more side quests and such, whats worrisome to me is that they seem to remove a few existing quests every major patch, which leads me to believe that if/when they do have it over in the US/EU, they will start us off at version 1.0, with only the basic jobs, entry quests and lv 50 cap to start with, giving us a content update every 8-11 weeks, or, giving us updates every 4 weeks until we are caught up with Japan.

Since that's the exact same thing they did with DQ9, I would assume that's not far off base.

Correct; it is closer to an ATB system.

Thanks. Just started watching your videos. Recently bought FFIX off PSN though too, 5$ seemed like a good deal and I never played before. Probably will be awhile until I catch up with them, lol.

Quick question.

So far they are all based on a certain village/town, with 5 parts to each story, and expand on that stories Key Emblem story (or at least feature the characters from it.) For example, the one for Glen explains who Sword Master Oren was, and his connection to the Dragon. So far there has been one for ever hub town, and they are on chapter 4/5 of the starting Weddi town. Oh, the major patches themselves do not add story. A new chapter is released on Monday and Thursday each week. The patches themselves add classes, and quests for the new systems (such as a quest for changing your hair color, and more quests for new hair colors).

And now I figure I should further mention that so far, other than the seasonal quests, no quests have been removed from the game yet. Two quests, which are a prolog to story that will be added in 1.3 will disappear with 1.3, but this is the first time that is happening, and I do not think that it will be a common occurrence.

Edited by Mimas
  • Upvote 1