Mimas

DQX Questions and Answers

I'm posting the questions and answers here from a conversation with Alexandrious over the messaging system. Feel free to add your own questions and I will try to answer them.

Warning: I have avoided mentioning story based spoilers, but videos linked here do contain spoilers. As far as game story layout, I give a vague overview of it, so if you are extremely strict on yourself with spoilers you might want to skip over those questions.

UPDATE: 4/23/2013 Added Questions 68-72

2/15/2013 Added Questions 66-67

2/5/2013 Added questions 60-65.

1/13/2013 Added a new question from PantheonSasuke.

1/12/2013 Added questions 50-59

1/10/2013 8:15 PST Added questions 41-49.

1/8/2013 7:00pm PST Added questions 37-40 and a sewing video for the answer to question 23.

Guess ill line up the questions.

1: How long does it take on average estimate, for a player to go from 1 to max level on his first character class if he actively parties with other people? Or with AI controlled npcs?

First time actively leveling it does depend on who you are leveling with. I think it took me about a month to get up to level 50 when the level cap was raised. Each time they raise the cap it takes about a week to reach the cap. I could be at level 60 now but I am holding back at the moment, so that I can enjoy my favorite classes for boss battles longer.

2: Once the player has a max level class, is he able to recruit AI controlled players of max lv, and then go back to a level 1 class?

Yes.

3: If yes on 2, does the player experience a very harsh exp penalty on all mobs even those matching or higher then the levels of his three max level party members?

They eat into some of your experience but on the whole they tend to make up for it in the speed that they can kill enemies with a lot of experience.

4: How do teams work? Im sure they get their own chat, but do they have their own team window listing people in the team and whos online? How many can be in a Team?

Teams will be able to do more in the future, but yes they have a chat, yes they have a window listing people in the team and who is online. I believe the limit is 200 people.

5: The intense training quest which awards you 4 skill points on a class. Do you have to do it 4 times once for each point on that class? Or just once and you get all 4 points? Are you able to do it on multiple classes?

You only do the quest to have access to intense training. After that you then have the ability to go into "Intense Training Mode" when you are level 50, which allows you to earn training points when you fight monsters that are stronger than you instead of receiving experience. 1000 Training points gives you 1 skill point.

6: Is the main story still incomplete?

It is complete in the way that DQIX was complete when you defeated "Corvus". There is obviously loose strings, and another demon lord is certainly out there somewhere, but there is no information about them other than the fact that everything isn't back to peace even though the big bad has been defeated.

7: By what level can you do the extent of the story to become Human again?

You could probably manage at level 35. A few levels earlier or later depending on how you go about it and who you are with.

8: What do people look for as far as recruiting a Paladin AI go? They prefer a spear paladin? mace? Stick?

I do not think that people tend to use Paladins for AI that much. They aren't as good for leveling as say a Thief with claws or a Priest with a Pole.

9: How does genkidama work exactly? Like how many hours does it take being offline to get one?

22 hours. And you can max carry 20, and max saved up time is 440 hours.

10: Are you really rewarded bonus exp and gold from having yourself recruited while offline? Or is this bonus exp come in the form of genkidamas while the gold is given to you upon use of that Genkidama counter?

Yes. The calculation for how much you get is 25% of the experience and gold from battles you participate in. This is calculated from the person who uses you the most.There is also an upper limit based on the amount of experience between the level you are currently and the amount needed from that to the next level (not the current amount you need). x .1 X The amount of time you were used.

Genkidama are a compeltly seprate system. You get double the experience and gold from battles that you start within 30 minutes of activating one.

Edited by Mimas
  • Upvote 5

11: Whats the strongest acquired/crafted armor obtainable at this time?

Depends on your class.

Hereis the upper armor list. You can use the links at the top to navigate to the other pieces of armor/weapons. The best is crafted.

12: Does every class have a Class-Armor quest? Is it currently doable? I noticed in videos of that Human warrior always wearing the Warrior armor set seen in IX. But on user made gameplay videos I never ever see anyone actually wearing the armor.

Yes, though until next week or so you can only get the shoes for Super Star and Magic Knight. The warrior set is available, and I have seen people wearing it, but there is better out there.

13: What are the japanese player opinions on the Wii-U version with its HD enhancements, Orchestrational replacements of all sound tracks, and other features?

I think people are mostly excited about playing from the pad.

14: How does the online Main story work? Does it have some linear progression? Or does every Tribe have its own major story to go thru that your free to select and do in any order?

Each tribe has a story that you only exprience if you are that tribe. You can help fight the boss, but you miss non-boss cut scenes. After that there is story for each town. Some elements of the story are different depending on your tribe, but nothing major. Just knowing characters ahead of time. Saving 6 towns allows you to enter a new area where there is more story, and finishing that opens the path to the Big Bad Boss. Even after defeating the Big Bad Boss, you can do town stories that you had not done yet (there are 10). There are also added story quests like DQIX had.

15: Has any strange/mystical areas been seen or placed in yet? When I say that im saying kinda strange or random like that Moonlight elf place in DQ8.

Nothing random. The area with the door seen in the 1.2 trailer is rather strange, but I can't think of anything else at this time.

16: Has any player got all classes to 55-60 yet? If so, how long did it take him/her/them? What kinda gametime put in each day?

Probably. Before the new version update, I had 3 friends who were 55 in all classes. I do not know how long it took them. Maybe 600 hours, but I don't want to ask, and I don't want to look at how long I have been playing the game. It depresses me ^_^;. I'm WAY past what I played on DQIX, but it doesn't feel like it.

17: Has the game stayed consistent to being a DQ game with a MMO element built around it? Or has the MMO element forced itself in a few times somewhere? Basically what im trying to say is, has it ever felt like how FFXI was a MMO with Final Fantasy built around it?

Never played FFXI. I would say it feels more DQ then DQIX did.

18: What is the rarity of the metal slime enemies? I noticed Metal King Slimes came in with the latest patch. I dont think I ever seen anyone with a Axe weapon, are Spears the only way to try and force a Crit on these at this time?

Pretty rare. I haven't heard anyone running into Metal Kings yet. There are a lot of people with Axes, but I have seen multi attack work better such as Tiger Claws.

19: Was there any word that the Offline Quest mode will be lengthened? Or is what was initially given all there is to it?

Nope. That looks to be the end for now. It doesn't help that you can not transfer your ofline save, so if you move to the WiiU you loose your offline game.

Edited by Mimas
  • Upvote 3

20: How hard is it to aquire a large amount of gold? Do people mostly make it by killing monsters and either vendoring or auctioning the drops? Or is crafting worth doing to make gold? weapons and armor cannot be bound so I take it when someone is done with their equipment, they just put it back into the market?

Depends. I have a friend who can make 30,000G in about 30 minutes with his Lamp Alchemy. But another friend made their money farming drops off of rare monsters. I get most of my money just killing monsters, but I am not that rich, and I am lazy at getting new armor. Weapons and armor are bound. Once they have been equipped you can not give them to another person. With the new Tears and Sweat System if you used them enough you can get crystals off of them that currently sell for 1000G a crystal from the bazaar.

21: I noticed that weapons and armors found in auction have star ratings. +1 +2 +3, however I noticed some inconsistencies in the +3s. +3s of the same weapon seems to have varying attack/defense on them. Is their some sorta maximum to be had in +3s as far as stats go?

There are stars and there are "+1". When you make an item such as a sword, depending on how well you make it (partially determined by luck) you get from 0 to 3 stars. The more stars the better the stats. Stars also work as slots for alchemy. When alchemy is cast on something it gets "+1" for each slot filled. Once a slot is filled it can not be unfilled, and you are stuck with what you got. Alchemy adds traits to items such as "Plus 2 Damage". The type of trait depends on the type of alchemy (lamp or jar) and the success of the alchemy. Alchemy is extreamly luck based.

22: I remembered something my friend did tell me once, that their is an enchanting system, that its actuall a craft. The quality of the weapon/armor determines enchants somehow. How does this enchanting system work? Is it permanent? Can it be redone on the item?

See above. It is permanent.

23: How does crafting work exactly? Im particularly into Armor Crafting, and that Item enhancement Alchemy you mentioned, so id like to hear how that all works. How difficult does it play out? Do you have any control over the results? Can you equip or do something to attain abilities to make what you craft better?

Armor, Weapon, and item crafting all are pretty much the same with the only difference being the selection of items that you can make. Saigan has a

where he shows some of the basics of weapon smiting. What you don't see in the video is that within the green area is hidden "critical zones" where if you are lucky and you fall in that zone you make a better item. But since you can't see them you can't aim for them. There is one technique that increases your chances of landing in a critical zone, and if you land in green with a critical hit you are guaranteed a critical zone. Fancier smiting hammers increase your chance of critical hits. 

Alchemy has a roulette which you can add success zones and loosely control where the arrow lands. You choose what you are aiming for (such as attack plus 4). If you land in the blue zone you get it, if you land in the black zone something like plus 2 is attached instead. Yellow zone gives you extra like plus 6. Purple zone is random and could give you something like "increased resistance to fire" or "increased drop rate 1.4%"

Here are some videos:

Weapon Crafting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjaXKS5DOAk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTQ_8Af0stI

Wood Weapon Crafting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=339vOOQL95M

Sewing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjNRXBIcHzI

Here are some pot alchemy videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHr8o_T3ve4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGMZdL83A_M

24: At around 15:52 in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9s7PQxMYbbc they fight a spider boss with a devastating AoE attack. Do they look like they are enhanced by additional class traits in any way?

Yes, the most certainly have more HP and MP than they would without traits. Other than that I can't tell just from the video. You can watch a fight of the "Hard" version of that spider here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RG27zEvWJ44

Since version 1.2 Paladins have replaced Thieves and one of the must haves in these parties to try and take the brunt of the attacks so that the Mages are safe.

25: The formula for Attack and Defense. Is it the same as in other DQs? Or does enemy level vs Player get involved into it now?

Pretty much the normal formula.

26: How does the housing system work in its entirety?

There is housing areas for each of the 5 hub towns. It costs 20,000G to buy a small plot of land. 10,000G to buy a housing kit to build a house there. When you buy the house you get a Rula Stone that takes you straight to your house. You get extra storage in the roof, some extra storage with the purchase of a dresser (but more dressers do not give you more storage), you can sleep there if you have a bed, and you can also purchase something to do crafting in your house. You can change the look of your house with more items and such, but that is the main functionality.

27: If you ever grouped with a highly multi-class leveled paladin user, how was he taking damage compared to other classes?

I don't think anyone I play with is a "main" paladin. They can take some good damage, and we often have one of us act as one when we are leveling up against Ghouls to take all of the hits for everyone else. They take hits pretty well in general, and with the extra healing they are nice. The AI is just too stupid to expect them to do these things for you though.

28: I noticed they added something with this update, I saw Saigan access once, not sure what it is. It looked like a buncha multi-color balls you can choose from. What are those?

The lottery. Those were the prizes listed. You get tickets once a day if you defeat an "Instant Dungeon Boss". Top prize is a Slime House.

29: Those crystals you mentioned earlier, how do you get them and what are they used for?

You have to do a quest first to open up the ability, but it allows your equipment to occasionally gain "use points" when you defeat something as strong as you or stronger. When you reach 100 you can loose the equipment in exchange for crystallized sweat and tears removed from you equipment. The highest ranked armor and other equipment use quite a number of them (26 in some recipes).

Edited by Mimas

30: Is lamp alchemy something everyone can have while taking a Item creating craft? Or does Alchemy take up your only Craft slot? If so, how do you get your equipment enchanted if you cant do the alchemy yourself?

It takes your craft slot. If you do not equip your equipment you can still hand it over to someone who does alchemy so that they can do it for you. Or you can just buy what alchemist put out for sale through the bazaar.

31: Intense Training points you mentioned. Are their always mobs equal or higher lved then you regardless of your lv even if you were at the max cap? And you can only get up to 4 skill points worth in Intense Training on each class right?

At this point there seems to be. I think that the monster that you fight for the quest to enable Intense Training has got to still be higher than you at level 60. And yes, only 4 per a class at this time.

32: Is the vast majority of Japanese players aware that you can actually transfer your DQX offline save from the Wii to the Wii-U version? When the Wii-U system came out it came with a special application in the Original Wii Menu to do a Wii to Wii-U Data transfer done wireless, you simply have to activate it on both consoles and follow the instructions, I expect when the DQX Wii-U version is out in Japan it will take advantage of this feature and convert the Wii save into a Wii-U save.

Nope, you can not transfer the DQX offline. It is a non-transferable save file. Even the special application will not move it over for you. Still, there are a number of my friends who are now playing the game through the Wii emulator on the WiiU. One even has two accounts and plays on both systems at the same time.

33: Whats the most popular Rula Stone spot at this time? Or spots, I take it you can actually get a Second freely used Rula Stone via, Mini Medals I believe?

Glen probably, since it is the main hub town. You get a second Rula stone from Mini Medals, a third from a quest, a fourth from beating the game, and your fifth is your house stone. Other popular places would be places with good leveling nearby and that are not accessible by train.

34: How is the Mini Medal Acquisition done this time around? Is it infinite like DQIX? Or limited?

Yes it is infinite. You get them mostly from monster drops. A few from quests. And you can get 1 for each non-boss monster if you defeat 100 of them.

35: What kinda things can you get with mini medals? Anything that stands out?

Accessories, the most popular being being a ring that gives you 1-3 MP back after every battle. There are also recipes for crafting, and gestures you can add to your character (like lying down to sleep).

36: What benefits does fighting the Hard mode version of bosses give?

The chance that they will drop an Orb. They are used in crafting high level equipment.

37: Seen orbs in DQ Games past but what are they for in this installment then since ya brought it up?

They are used in crafting. Here are links that show a list of weapons/armor that can be made (also shows the bazaar price history) of each orb. Red Purple Blue Green Yellow

38: Does the Dragon Quest X Keyboard work only for the Wii *meaning it uses a Wii signal* or can it be used on the Wii-U as well?

The Dragon Quest X Slime Keyboard is a normal USB keyboard and works with computers as well. It connects to the Wii through the Wii's USB slot. I haven't yet got around to purchasing a WiiU but my understanding is that USB keyboards do not work under the WiiU mode of the the WiiU. They do still work in the Wii mode, and people playing DQX as a Wii game can still use them. The game pad will function as a keyboard in the Wii U Version, but outside keyboard support has not been announced.

39: I noticed from Saigans latest video a few things. If you tried to PL yourself with 3 NPCs on mobs that can one shot you yourself, you would get terrified entry every single time thus taken out immediately by one of the mobs. Would using just a PL NPC party against mobs of your own level be better? Or maybe do it with just 2 or even just 1 npc? Or is doing it with high lv mobs and just get ressed everytime still best?

I will assume you mean Power Level, the act of leveling with higher level party members than yourself, when you say PL, since I am not familiar with all of the MMO slang. As long as you have someone to resurrect you it really doesn't matter if you keep on dying in battle (other than reduced experience for the period of time that you were dead). It is probably more efficient to do it with one NPC character with monsters slightly above you at first, but after getting enough passive traits from other classes you aren't likely to die first hit anyway. I have 100 HP at level 1 for example. Penguins would not take me out in one hit at that HP. So the choice really depends on what your passive traits are as well as the selection of monster that you are facing.

Edited by Mimas

40: Is their any armor thats Bind on Acquire in the game, thus make enchanting of it impossible unless you perform the enchant yourself?

Yes. Special event armor. For example the Pumpkin head we got for Halloween was 3 stars, but you are not allowed to hand it to anyone. I also got a V-Jump shield that has three stars that I can't hand to anyone. If you haven't done the level 10 quest for a craft you can still do other crafts though, so there is that option at first, but it reduces the level of crafting you can do. The developers also seem to have learned from their errors and the Christmas set had no stars, and neither did the recently released magazine item of a slime knight shield.

41: Shields unless traited, gives only Block chance right? What is the highest block chance you can get out of Shields?

No, they also increase defense, maybe weight, and some other stats depending on the shield. Teams can also have their emblems shown on their shields, but that is another story for another time. The best two shields you can get now, with 3 stars give you a block chance of 4.4%. With all of those alchemy slots full I saw one with a 10.6% chance. There are two level 50 shields. One has defense pulse 5, and the other plus 6. With the first aiding in the defense against spell attacks, and the second increasing healing and attack magic.

42: You say that after each level cap increase, it takes nearly a week to get each class to the next lv cap. Are levels past lv 50 really require that much exp? How much exp does each same or higher lv fight gives after 50?

Well, really that is my speed. You could do it in a day if you wanted to. Here is the experience chartfor non-advanced classes. I've gotten a few thousand experience when fighting Ghouls, but it can be deadly if things start to go wrong, and I really can't do it well without a party of real people with me. But as a general rule, with a genki dama, you should be able to get 20,000 experience in half an hour.

43: You mentioned some sorta instance dungeon system, like Grottos. Can you repeat them any number times in a 24 hour period? Or is their a wait time and limit between them?

You can repeat them as much as you want as a general rule, though you only get lottery tickets once a day. If you quit in the middle you have to wait 30 minutes before you can enter again. The same might be true if you are wiped out in one.

44: What exactly does each Paladin trait ability do? I cant seem to get any good translations on them.

Here are what they were localized as in DQIX.

やいばのぼうぎょ=Pincushion

HPパサー=H-Pathy

におうだち=Forbearance

ヘヴィチャージ is Heavy Charge. Increases your weight.

大ぼうぎょ is big defense. Damage decreases by 1/2.

45: What does the stick ability *One hand staff* Glitter Pawn do? The 100 weapon skill ability.

"Protects your comrades from bad status affects,"

46: How powerful is Gigaslash compared to other weapon abilities?

It attacks all enemies around you for 140-180 damage and is especially effective against those weak to light attacks. Since it is not based off of attack power it could theoretically end up doing less damage if you have a higher attack. Here is a breakdown of attacks.

47: Do thieves get any special trait/ability to increase item/gold drop rate? If so, does it affect only them or the whole party as well? Here is a breakdown of skills and their damage.

They have a higher than average chance of having treasure chests fall. They can also steal, they have the same coup de grace as DQIX, as well as being able to get accessory

know as "Honour Among Thieves" in the DQIX localization. Everyone in the party does benefit. Things that the thief stole are also shown as green in the treasure chest so you know why you got them. Mistrals on the other hand get an accessory that only increases how much gold they themselves get in a battle.

48:Has big updates been on time so far with SEs promise of once every ten weeks?

Well, the last one was really two weeks late, but they seem to get pushed back so that they can talk about the next update at a Japanese gaming convention. Close enough though.

49: I once heard of something called Crafter Renown. How does that work exactly?

I think that is referring to the fame rating for you under a craft. The more people use something you made, the higher your crafting fame goes. This gives you more fame points which helps in increasing how much you can have in the bazaar at one time, and you also get items for your crafting fame level. At the highest level if people stop equipping your stuff then it can fall.

Edited by Mimas

Fantastic, as always! Thanks so much for sharing. This is sure to help a whole buncha folks out!

"Instant Dungeon Boss"?

Just add water.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to do this, Mimas. Still need to read through it all myself.

• Upvote 1

"Instant Dungeon Boss"?

Instant Dungeons are a new feature in 1.2 where any place you can use Rula you can use a Magic Key that takes you to something like a DQIX grotto. Differences being that the number of floors is always 4 (though if your lucky a hidden floor with treasure or a metal slime or something could be there), you can see the whole map of a floor from the start, and you have to defeat all the monsters on a floor before you can go to the next floor. At the end is always a boss, 2 are 9 Grotto bosses, but King Leo is also another one of the possible bosses. The boss is decided based on the average of the team level so you sometimes want to go as a lower level to see a lower level boss. If you do not have a full team when you enter another person trying to enter the dungeon at the same time as you is added to the party. If the system can not match you up with anyone it gives you a support character from the bar as your extra character(s).

Added this thread to my bookmarks! Awesome work Mimas!

Glad to be of service. Feel free to ask any questions you want here. I will continue to update older posts when I get more questions.

Feel free to ask any questions you want here.

What makes the teflon stick to the pan?

Feel free to ask any questions you want here.

What makes the teflon stick to the pan?

A process that involves sandblasting the pan and the use of a primer. You can read about it here.

• Upvote 5

50: Is there any benefit to finishing the offline mode other then that silly hat?

Well you get a bit of story, but that is pretty much it. Though I have to admit that I have not finished the offline portion myself yet.

51:Is their much difference between the races far as stat points are concerned? Noticed alot of people stay Human for some reason once they can change back.

Not much. Resistance changes depending on your race. As an Ogre I am resistant to fire, humans I think it was either light or dark. I have a few more HP as an ogre priest, but a bit more MP as a human.We are talking about 2~3 points differences though. Not that much.

52: What does the skill reset entail? What do you have to do for it? Does it reset the skills of all your classes or just the one your currently on?

You have to be in a particular place to do it. You get a reset jewel, as well as access to the ability by completing a quest.The first jewel is free, but everyone after that is 10,000G. I haven't reset anything myself but my understanding is that you choose one of the skills of your current class, and all of the points associated to that skill go back being not associated with any skill for all of the classes that it came from. That sounds confusing so I will give an example. If you are a warrior and you put 20 points into shield, and as a minstrel you put another 20 points into shield, as a warrior you could have your shield skill reset and then you would have 20 points to put into any warrior skill, and 20 points to put into any minstrel skill.

53: What makes Ghouls so dangerous? Are their mobs to exp on more dangerous then them?

Well, they can curse you which besides making it so that you can not run away and you are sometimes temporary unable to move, their curse also temporarily lowers your max HP by half. They can call for more help as well. But mostly it isn't them that is so hard or gives you so much experience. It is the monsters that come with them that make it so appealing and dangerous as well. Bloody hands call for more hands, and Moving Statues, as well as Behoimi Slimes. With all of that it can mean you are fighting 8 or so monsters at once that take a whole lot out of you.

54: Does the Bestiary provide the level of mobs placed into it?

It does not tell you how hard they are.

55: Whats the maximum inventory capacity? How do you increase inventory?

By doing a quest you can get a bag that holds 30 items. I guess you hold 20 before that. Equipment bag holds 25 before a quest, 50 after. Buying a house gives you an extra 100 storage with 50 for the attic, and 50 with the first purchase of a dresser, Bank holds 50 as well if I recall correctly.

56: Whats your bank capacity? Is it shared with your house capacity or separate?

As above, I think it is 50. Not it is not.

57: How many monsters are in the game at this time excluding boss monsters?

Looking at my list, something around 350.

58: In saigans video I saw 3 special pieces of armor that can be exchanged for Mini Medals. They seemed strong, what are those pieces?

Assuming we are talking about the same things, in DQIX they were known as Brainy Bracer, I think Mighty Amulet, and Rosary

59: So you can get around 350 mini medals just from killing 100 of each monster? Is their really stuff worth wanting more then 100 medals to use on at this time?

Well, for example, as a Item Smith their are 5 recipes that cost 35 medals that I want (Super Smith Hammer, Super Sewing Needle, Super Alchemy Lamp, etc). That means I need 175 medals in total to get all of the recipes. While most of them are much cheaper, there are a ton more recipes there for weapon smiths and the like and it adds up. Gestures are also in there, and those are always great to have. Or you could just stock up on World Tree Leaves.

-Since the Fisticuffs skill set applies to unarmed fighting, would the skills and boosts offered by the set be usable in any vocation? Or would you have to be in a vocation that has the skill set on it?-

Yep, as long as you do not have a weapon equipped. Due to that it has been rather popular of late, since it allows for attacks that carry over to all classes.

Yesssssss, thanks for answering, yo. Those monsters are gonna get a face full of fist when the time comes.

I'm new here and to the DQ franchise in general. I heard DQ7 was one of the longest RPG so I did a wiki search on series and found this game. Being an MMO and I enjoy MMO I was interested. Watching those videos I'm confused a bit. Are the ones in blue robe priest? And one with robe and shield paladin? And which job are most healers using? Priest or paladin? Finally, would you say healing is most difficult job? Or is tanking harder? I would doubt dps would be. Thanks

I'm new here and to the DQ franchise in general. I heard DQ7 was one of the longest RPG so I did a wiki search on series and found this game. Being an MMO and I enjoy MMO I was interested. Watching those videos I'm confused a bit. Are the ones in blue robe priest? And one with robe and shield paladin? And which job are most healers using? Priest or paladin? Finally, would you say healing is most difficult job? Or is tanking harder? I would doubt dps would be. Thanks

DQ7 is long and good.

The blue robe can be worn by both priests and mages. In the video with the hard spider the player filming is a priest, and the other two with two handed staves are mages. Most healers would be a priest. Paladins do not have the ability to resurrect so they are good as a secondary source of healing, but you still need a primary healer. Healing is probably more difficult, especially since the game is no longer turn based so timing of healing makes a difference as well. A mage needs to know what elemental weakness a monster has, but past that can pretty much continue to spam spells only worrying about MP.

Awesome! Thanks. I'll probably definitely pick up DQ VII if we get the 3DS version. And thanks for the information. I usually love healing in MMO's since I find it usually to be the most difficult class and I like the challenge. Looks like I'll be a Priest main. Here's to hoping we get it stateside, with how well it's done in Japan there's no reason it shouldn't though. DQ might not be huge in NA like FF, but NA loves their MMO's.

Another question. How many dungeons does the game currently have? And does each dungeon have different modes? Like one for a normal playthrough and another at level cap? Like normal, legend, heroic, etc.

Also, is gear classified by classes for either rarity or strength. Ie rare, epic. Legend. And finally is the best gear dropped or crafted? It seemed bosses dropped materials so I'd think crafting?

Edited by Airikay
  • Upvote 1

Hello. I hope this is the right place to post, a Q & A topic seems appropriate.

I just imported Dragon Quest X. I have no interest in going online with it, I only plan to play the offline content.

To get around the region protection, I put Priiloader mod on my Wii and set it to disable region protection. When I load the disk, I see Dragon Quest X appear on the disk channel. But when I actually try and launch the disk, it goes to a blank blank screen and hangs there.

I'm wondering if you may be able to offer some guidance on how to get this working. I've looked over the English Play Guide, and I thought since I wasn't planning to go online I didn't need access to the JP Wiiware shop. Now I'm wondering if even for offline only, I may need to make more tweaks.

If I attempt to use AnyRegion Changer, is it going to cause the Wii to brick being I've already loaded Priiloader on it already done some changes to the system?

Any help is appreciated.

Maybe im wrong but if you plan to play only the offline mode, you will get some problem. The first part of the offline mode i have complete it in 2-3 hours. then the game will ask you to choose a race and a class. Then the game will try to connect to the server online. If you don't have a japanese IP it will not work. So it will give you a error and you will have to reset the game. when the game is reset you will only have your game offline from your last save point and the previous step will repeat again.

Thats what happen to me.

Edited by yukin

Hello. I hope this is the right place to post, a Q & A topic seems appropriate.

I just imported Dragon Quest X. I have no interest in going online with it, I only plan to play the offline content.

To get around the region protection, I put Priiloader mod on my Wii and set it to disable region protection. When I load the disk, I see Dragon Quest X appear on the disk channel. But when I actually try and launch the disk, it goes to a blank blank screen and hangs there.

I'm wondering if you may be able to offer some guidance on how to get this working. I've looked over the English Play Guide, and I thought since I wasn't planning to go online I didn't need access to the JP Wiiware shop. Now I'm wondering if even for offline only, I may need to make more tweaks.

If I attempt to use AnyRegion Changer, is it going to cause the Wii to brick being I've already loaded Priiloader on it already done some changes to the system?

Any help is appreciated.

Do you have a blank 8GB USB drive in the wii? the game will still need to install to that.

When I imported the game, I got the version that includes a USB stick. Aye, I wanted to cover all my bases.

All right, so here is what I did. I was paranoid about bricking my Wii, so I went to GameStop and bought a refurbished Wii to be the "Dragon Quest Wii". I got homebrew on it, and spent all morning looking over various tutorial vidoes and web pages. Loaded up IOS236 and then put on Any Region Changer, closed my eyes and started praying "Please don't brick. Please don't brick. Please don't brick."

It didn't brick, and my refurbished Wii succesfully switched over to Japanese.

I loaded in the disk, and got some strange JP message I couldn't understand, and it took me back to the menu. I put in the other disk, and it started installing to the USB. After a while it came up with another message with a 2 in it, so I figured it wanted the 2nd disk and put that one in. It looks to be still installing so I THINK I have this good to go now.

As for the game absolutely requiring online, I thought I read that there was an offline mode where you play as your sibling. Tha's what I intend to play the most. If I really do have to go online, I'll see if I can temporarily set up a VPN and maybe access the game just once during that free childrens time just so I can connect and unlock the offline mode. I'll cross that bridge when and if it comes.

I'd like to say "Thanks for your help" but I seem to have more or less figured this out on my own. XD But hey I still appreciate the topic here and it's nice to see the guides so maybe I'll still hang around and discuss all things DQX with you folks.

Edit:

All right, I've now played through to the end of the "tutorial" part and reached the point where you are supposed to go online. I made my "online" character, and as expected, it didn't actually let me go online when it tried to connect, I got some kind of Japanese error message and it sent me back to the Wii menu. When I re-launched the game, I WAS able to access the offline mode where you play as the main character's sibling without ever having to connect to the Internet. This mode is the whole reason I imported the game, so I'm very happy to be able to confirm that it is accessible without connecting to the servers. =)

Edited by Cranberry