Contest #96 - The Den Vinci Code 3

denvincicode.png

After narrowly escaping the clutches of evil, Woodus returns in the Den Vinci Code III. This time, he has entered the espionage game and he intends to get a jump on the Demon Lord before he gets captured again. Thanks to his crack squad of medieval spies, the secret plans of the Order of Zugzwang have been intercepted.

They are planning an invasion of the Dragon's Den, but the locations of the attacks are not yet known. To coordinate their efforts, they are sending secret encoded messages to all members of the Order. Woodus' team of industrious spies have intercepted these messages as well, but they haven't been able to break the codes and find the location of the attacks.

In order to save Woodus and the Dragon's Den from destruction, we need your help to solve the clues and find the attack locations. Before you jump right in, here is some important information for you:

RULES / GUIDELINES:

1) Please don't post puzzle solutions to the forums. You are encouraged to collaborate with someone, but please do so via private messages

2) If you solve a puzzle, this thread is a great place to brag about it! Be sure to rub it in other peoples faces (don't be mean, just competitive!)

3) If you need help, please ask questions via PM. If any additional clues or hints are given, they will be given to everybody

4) You have until Monday, January 21st 2013 at 10:00 am MST to submit your answers for this contest.

5) Have fun!

WHAT TO DO:

Our spies have determined that each coded message contains a phrase that identifies a key word. When you find the key word for a puzzle, use it to find the web page that is being targeted by replacing the ##### in the following link:

www.woodus.com/den/contests/96/#####.php

For example, if the key word from a puzzle was celestrian1 you would access the following link:

www.woodus.com/den/contests/96/celestrian1.php

Note that all web page links are case-sensitive and should be assumed to be LOWER CASE for this contest.

HOW TO WIN:

Everybody who participates can win this contest. It is not a race (despite the urgency in preventing an invasion of the Dragon's Den). In order to win this contest, you must send me the following to me via PM:

1) The entire decoded phrase from each of the four main puzzles

2) The solution to the final "secret" puzzle

3) A very short description of how you solved each puzzle

These puzzles have a mixture of difficulty, with some being easier than others. If you like, you can try warming up on the puzzles from the first Den Vinci Code contest or even the second Den Vinci Code contest. If everybody is having difficulty with one or more of these puzzles, I will provide additional hints.

And now for the puzzles.

The Puzzles:

PUZZLE # 1

A killing machine was caught transmitting this message to other members of the Order. It is unknown whether this message can only be understood by killing machines and other robotic-type monsters. Please use whatever resources you can to decipher this message:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLEg9cGnWYo&feature=youtu.be

Den_Vinci_Clue_01_Part2.png

PUZZLE # 2

Our team hacked into Nimzo's email account and recovered this image from his outgoing mail. It's meaning is unclear.

Den_Vinci_3_Clue_02.png

PUZZLE # 3

Bishop Ladja was found distributing what appears to be clips from his favorite show tune to members of the Order of Zugzwang. Additionally, he was handing out a picture. We presume that they are related and that they hold the key to finding the target location of the third attack on the Dragon's Den.

http://www.woodus.com/kz/Contest_Images/96/Den_Vinci_3_Clue_03.mp3

Den_Vinci_3_Clue_03.png

PUZZLE # 4

King Korol left a copy of his book "King Korols Konquests" at a bus station and this image was found tucked inside betwen the pages. Is this gibberish or could it hold the key to finding the fourth attack location?

Den_Vinci_3_Clue_04.png

PUZZLE # 5

Not much is known about this fifth and final attack location. Our intelligence sources have indicated that the location of the final attack can only be determined by visiting each of the first four target locations. It seems that the Order of Zugzwang has left clues at each of these locations, and that some combination of these clues will reveal the final target location.

Please help us find the target locations so Woodus can defend the Dragon's Den from the Order of Zugzwang and their evil (but clever) reign of terror!

Wow pretty cool, good job :thumbsup:

Wow pretty cool, good job :thumbsup:

Thanks! I just realized that I had forgotten to put up the show-tune clips for Puzzle #3. I highly recommend you give it a listen, even if you don't work on the puzzle. It's jolly good fun.

Can't wait to dig my teeth into the puzzles! I'll have to wait until things calm down after the holidays though *laughs* :D

Well, looks like I'll be sitting this one out(mostly because I helped test part of it and have the answers). I'll still try to decipher them just for fun.

Can't wait to dig my teeth into the puzzles! I'll have to wait until things calm down after the holidays though *laughs* :D

Awesome, glad to hear it. Hope you are able to get to it now that the holiday season is behind us. I am still waiting for Grand Alchemist to weigh in on this and see if he can break his previous record of solving all puzzles within an hour or two of reading them.

Good luck to all. Feel free to PM me if anyone is stuck and needs clues.

This contest is actually a great thing for me. It gives me time to set up my next contest.

Awesome, glad to hear it. Hope you are able to get to it now that the holiday season is behind us. I am still waiting for Grand Alchemist to weigh in on this and see if he can break his previous record of solving all puzzles within an hour or two of reading them.

Actually, I need a little bit of help, for example, Can someone would be so kind to translate to spanish the puzzles?, Or at least give some clues more easy to understand for non US members?, but I know too with that the translation maybe the puzzles loses all its charming, oh well, at least I'll give it a try, after all, I love the professor Layton games and I've able to solve most puzzles doesn't matter the language :ws-slimedead:

Actually, I need a little bit of help, for example, Can someone would be so kind to translate to spanish the puzzles?, Or at least give some clues more easy to understand for non US members?, but I know too with that the translation maybe the puzzles loses all its charming, oh well, at least I'll give it a try, after all, I love the professor Layton games and I've able to solve most puzzles doesn't matter the language :ws-slimedead:

Hmm, the first two puzzles could potentially be translated but the key word from each puzzle would need to remain in English. Is there anyone fluent in Spanish with no intention of participating in this contest?

Hmm, the first two puzzles could potentially be translated but the key word from each puzzle would need to remain in English. Is there anyone fluent in Spanish with no intention of participating in this contest?

The only person I can think of is Cesar Hernandez-Meraz, but I don't know if he would translate or not.

There is always the possibility of working with somebody.

RULES / GUIDELINES:

1) Please don't post puzzle solutions to the forums. You are encouraged to collaborate with someone, but please do so via private messages

The clues for puzzles 1, 2 and 4 have been revamped for enhanced clarity and helpfulness. You may need to refresh your cache to see the updated clue images.

Good luck to everyone who is working on this!

The clues for puzzles 1, 2 and 4 have been revamped for enhanced clarity and helpfulness. You may need to refresh your cache to see the updated clue images.

It sure makes the puzzles easier

I was starting to try it (haven't won a badge in a while :)), but I guess I just can't figure them out :(. Most I know where to go with, but no code I get is correct. Maybe tomorrow I'll get it.

Hey guys, I am extending the deadline on this one by one week at the request of a few people who are "close" to finishing it off. I think starting before Christmas was a mistake anyway.

Hey guys, I am extending the deadline on this one by one week at the request of a few people who are "close" to finishing it off. I think starting before Christmas was a mistake anyway.

Go for it. All the more time for me to prepare my next couple contests.

The date in the topic has not changed. Would it be the 21st at the same time?

Thanks for pointing that out. I have updated it now.

ALSO,

I screwed up the second puzzle when I originally posted this. It has been fixed now, but anyone who has worked on it previously would have had very little chance of solving it (unless the background number had been 29 instead of 5). The text has been changed so that background number of 5 is now the correct key to successfully solving the provided puzzle text. Please refresh your browser and take another crack at puzzle number 2.

Thanks everyone! I am available by PM if anyone would like some additional clues on any of these.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, this contest is over and the winners will be announced shortly. Here are the solutions to the puzzles:

Puzzle Number 1 Solution:

To solve this puzzle, you can simply record the audio track from youtube, and then play it in reverse direction. Doing that gives the follow audio:

http://www.woodus.com/kz/Contest_Images/96/Den_Vinci_3_Clue_01_Obscured_Forward_Direction.mp3

Transcribing the words from that audio clips gives you the solution phrase:

It is imperative that this message does not fall into the hands of our enemy. If they were to decode this, they might learn that the secret code word is, devastate. Even if those fools did stumble onto our secret word, they probably couldn’t spell it anyway. But we can’t take that chance. Evil Demon Lord Out.

Plugging the "Secret Code Word" into the given URL takes you to www.woodus.com/den/contests/96/devastate.php which gives you a piece of Puzzle Number 5:

Clue01_Image_he2f56er1fa.png

Puzzle Number 2 Solution:

For puzzle number 2, the solution is found by entering the provided letter sequence into a grid with 5 columns. Doing so, will give you the following:

Clue_02_Key1.png

You can sort of see the solution already, but to really bring it out, you rotate the grid to the left by 90 degrees and have:

Clue_02_Key2.png

Transcribing this message gives:

Simple puzzles have simple solutions. You must think inside the box to solve this one. Then you will see that fountain is the code word you need.

Plugging "fountain" into the given URL takes you to www.woodus.com/den/contests/96/fountain.php which gives you another piece of Puzzle Number 5:

Clue02_Image_k3jf4rwl5kfa.png

Puzzle Number 3 Solution:

This puzzle gave you an audio track and an image that contains a big list of numbers. To solve the puzzle, you just start numbering the words in the song as they are spoken (first word is number 1, second word is number 2 etc...). Once all words have been numbered, take the words that match up with each number in the provided image to form the solution phrase.

In this case, the correct sequence of words can be found in this text file. The solution to the puzzle is then:

You'll hurt bad if you've come through this and got stuck. Snap through with gravity.

Entering "gravity" into the given URL takes you to www.woodus.com/den/contests/96/gravity.php which gives you another piece of Puzzle Number 5:

Clue03_Image_142ksiekcds.png

Puzzle Number 4 Solution:

The provided image for this puzzle gave you three important components. First, a list of words which happen to be the names of locations on our fair planet. The earth image was given to help you figure out we were dealing with geography here and not some foreign language or enciphered text. The purpose of the airplane was to help drive you to the key to this puzzle, which is IATA airport codes (the three-letter code they give to each airport in the world).

By assigning the proper airport code to each location given in the puzzle, the solution comes out as:

THE DEN VIN CIC ONT EST CAN DRI VEY OUM ADB UTP RES SON TRE NDY WIL LTA KEY OUH OME

Which, can be reparsed as the more sensical phrase:

The Den Vinci contest can drive you mad, but press on. Trendy will take you home.

Entering "trendy" into the given URL takes you to www.woodus.com/den/contests/96/trendy.php which gives you the final piece of Puzzle Number 5:

Clue04_Image_pt76ad43f1.png

Puzzle Number 5 Solution:

No real trick here. Just put the pieces you got from Puzzles 1 - 4 in order to give you "dragonsdencontestchampion". Plug that into the URL to take you to the victory page:

www.woodus.com/den/contests/96/dragonsdencontestchampion.php

Congratulations to the winners. You guys really earned your badges with this one.

Archived