Sign in to follow this  
Aoibara

Eng Voice actors VS Jap. Voice Actors

I notice that in many anime, English dub voice actors are CRAP. The voices don't even match the image of the character, especially if you have listened to the original Japanese voice.

The only times I found English voice acting tolerable was in Sonic Adventure 2 Battle, Metal Gear Solid, Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn and Smash Bros and some other games.

But in other cases...? $#!&.

What do you guys think btw

• Upvote 1

Male VA:

I like anything Liam O Brien is in. Same with Johnny Yong Bosch.

Yuri Lowenthal is tolerable in a couple of things...but otherwise I dont care for him.

Female VA:

Michelle Ruff is an amazing voice actress. I love her work.

Tara Strong is good too...but abit overused.

Games that I believe have good VA are:

Odin Sphere, Star Ocean 3, Ys: Ark of Napishtim, Ys: Oath in Felghana, .Hack IMOQ, .Hack GU, Valkyrie Profile, Lunar 1 (PSX), Lunar 2 (PSX), La Pucelle Tactics, Disgaea, Phantom Brave, Makai Kingdom, Disgaea 2, Wild Arms 4, Thousand Arms, Radiata Stories, etc.

Edited by Tesla

So far, the last couple of anime i've come across i can listen to them perfectly fine in both english dubbed and in the original. I'm not even counting high budgeted anime either.

I'm not too familiar with JP voice acting, but from what I am familiar with, the JP is better.

I don't know about anime, but on games, I agree. DQ VIII was a rare exception.

If I don't understand it, I generally don't like it. Exception would be Naruto... Holy crap did his voice bother me whenever the show popped on.

For me, it just depends on the show. Some cases I more used to watching the dub, in other cases I more used to subtitles.

Something like Urusei Yatsura, I couldn't really picture watching in english dub, but that's more based around the fact that the people who were in charge of bringing over here went the english subtitle only route. But something like Ranma 1/2, I couldn't really see myself watching in subtitles.

For games, I remember Mega Man 8's dubbing. Oh man, that was worst dubbing I'd seen in a game. :P

It depends on the Animeez.

Some have good voice actors, where they attempt to match to the person, and others, well...

Are like the video game Arc Rise Fantasia.

"I'm Aqua Man, but you can call me Handsome Guy!" Mega Man 8's dub is about as outstandingly fantastic/terrible as Mega Man X 4's.

I kind of prefer watching shows and playing games in an English dub. If its good, then I get to enjoy it. If its bad, its usually so bad that it becomes laughable so I get to enjoy it that way too.

I try and watch the English Dub , but if it's dubbed by 4Kids I just close out of the video and find the Subtitled Raw version and watch it.

I'm a lot more used to English voice acting, since I usually tend to start with it and then find the sub later if I feel like it... Not to mention it's a lot easier to recognize voices I've heard before.

I don't really like one more than the other, though. If it's an anime I've just started or a newly introduced character, I often watch dub out of curiosity, but after that I don't care which one.

I didn't mind the voice acting in Fairy Tail - the English dubbed voices seem to have similar cadence (for lack of a better word) to the Japanese.

Then there are shows like InuYasha, in which the english dubbed Myoga's character is different from the original japanese.

As for Sailor Moon, well... the dub is pretty horrible, and I hated the forced accents (I'd hate to think they were real) but I haven't compared it with the japanese.

It was harder to listen to the japanese-dubbed Angelic Layer than the English though; the main characters' voice hurt my ears.

Edited by Sorgatani

As someone who aspires to get into the profession of voice acting, I have to disagree with you, Aoibara. Over the past couple decades, English voice acting has improved tremendously, especially with anime such as Cowboy Bebop, Hellsing and even ROD the TV and anything done by Studio Ghibli. It has even gone to the point where occasionally, Japanese companies will outsource to America for voice talent (a prime example would be Bayonetta, where the original "japanese dub" was done in complete English.) As far as gaming, adding voices to games was relatively new back in the day, and even that has improved a lot.

Unless you're talking about dubs from before the early 90's, I would agree that dubbing was bad. Nowadays, its no longer the case.

As someone who aspires to get into the profession of voice acting, I have to disagree with you, Aoibara. Over the past couple decades, English voice acting has improved tremendously, especially with anime such as Cowboy Bebop, Hellsing and even ROD the TV and anything done by Studio Ghibli. It has even gone to the point where occasionally, Japanese companies will outsource to America for voice talent (a prime example would be Bayonetta, where the original "japanese dub" was done in complete English.) As far as gaming, adding voices to games was relatively new back in the day, and even that has improved a lot.

Unless you're talking about dubs from before the early 90's, I would agree that dubbing was bad. Nowadays, its no longer the case.

Maybe I can agree it has gotten better, but some of the newer animes? Nah, it is just wrecking da nerves. Been better but still.

I still find Japanese voice acting better personally.

Maybe I can agree it has gotten better, but some of the newer animes? Nah, it is just wrecking da nerves. Been better but still.

I still find Japanese voice acting better personally.

That mostly depends on the writing staff and the casting director. Anime like, Panty & Stocking was both well cast in English and well written. Highschool of the Dead had a decent cast, but I found the writing to be pretty bland.

It doesn't bother me if voices are different as long as they sound appropriate to the character.

Writing in the script is more of an issue.... Some animes have ridiculously extensive changes. Others.... things are rephrased but mean the same things.

For me, I can tolerate bad voice acting, I'd rather that than listen in japanese. If unlike me, you actually understand japanese and like that version better, that is fine. But people that don't understand it and prefer japanese just because english 'ruins the original' are just weird to me. I'd rather sit through a story with subpar acting than one that I can't understand/have to pay attention to the subtitles because I don't understand the language.

Edited by ss14hero

Hehe, that is a big factor, yeah. I have actually developed some understanding of Japanese just from listening to it so much.

I'm a big fan of the Gundam Franchise, and sadly most of the shows that have been translated were translated back when anime dubbing was even worse (it's gotten better, believe it or not). That said, I enjoy the english dub of First and Char's Counterattack just as much as I enjoy original Japanese. Michael Kopsa and Shuuichi Ikeda are both equally fantastic, and Brad Swaile and Toru Furuya both have interesting takes on Amuro (though I DO give the edge slightly to Furuya).

Gundam Unicorn also has a fantastic dub, despite being casted almost entirely by voice actors I don't care for like Steve Staley

Something like Urusei Yatsura, I couldn't really picture watching in english dub, but that's more based around the fact that the people who were in charge of bringing over here went the english subtitle only route. But something like Ranma 1/2, I couldn't really see myself watching in subtitles.

Nope, Animeigo did put out a dub of Urusei Yatsura.

It was just so hated that they never went past the fist volume.

I do not tend to listen to dubs, so I have a hard time saying if they have gotten better or not. The piece of the Tiger & Bunny dub I heard at Anime Expo sounded reasonable, but at the same con the K-ON dub was painful to the ears. I think they haven't managed to get "cute girls" to work in English. But then when I heard the trailers at the recent Anime LA convention for Funimation, none of them sounded good at all. I guess it really has to do with the budget.

I tend to like japanese voice actor better, because they just soooo goooood.

Tomozaku Sugita as Gintoki from Gintama, Switch from Sket Dance (avatar), Joseph Joestar (Jojo Bizarre Adventure).

Takehito Koyasu as Takasugi in Gintama or Dio in Jojo.

Mamoru Miyano he is utterly awesome as Okabe in Steins; Gate, he is also Light in Death Note and Dent in Pokémon Best Wishes (also awesome).

Norio Wakamoto is awesome in pretty much anything he is in (Matsuraid in Gintama, the narrator from Hayate no Gotoku, Cell DBZ as an exemple).

Damn these guys are just too good. There are also some female voice actors I like, but those guys above are unbeatable to me.

Now as far as english voice acting goes, I used to hate it, but it seems to be improving. I recently I've been playing Unchained Blades and the voice action seems pretty decent, and this isn't even some mainstream game. I wouldn't know about anime though, at least in Brazil the voice actimg for anime seems to have deteriorated over the years...

Edited by Billy MK

I've found I tend to be fine with either japanese with subs or english dubs. There are some stinkers out there though.

The worst dub I've ever heard?

Robotech >_>

The core of the story rests almost solely on Minmei's singing ability.

We go from this:

To this

And that's just one of her songs, which are played soooooooooooooooooooooo many times through out the series. You think they would have hired someone who could sing for the role.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubBwXLKA-dY

Throw in a good dub with some great writing.

Shin Chan is a horrible example. It represents everything terrible about localization.