Sign in to follow this  
Democrobot

Contest #95 Results

...And that concludes our dinner theatre for tonight. Thank you and please play again.

And now, the moment we have all been waiting for, just who the murderers were. The correct answer was

Maya and Carver.

Sadly, the only person to secure a badge was the author, mdb510.

The ending

Everyone glanced around the room nervously but Psaro and Ladja.

Maya stood up, “Then why are we trapped in here? They could kill us all!”

“They won’t kill me,” Terry chuckled.

“They won’t kill anyone else. It ends here,” Pankraz said.

“So… who keelled the guard…?” Sancho stuttered.

Pankraz held up his hand, “There are many elements in this case. So let’s start with the beginning. He wakes up in the guard’s quarters and goes to the arena to work out. He meets Carver there and they talk about Maya.”

Maya gave Carver an annoyed look, “You were talking about me?”

He shrugged.

“Let me continue,” Pankraz interrupted, “He notices Terry and gets into a fight with him.”

Terry rolled up his sleeve and showed a bruise developing.

“Then he…”

“Wait a moment,” Psaro spoke up, “Those bruises aren’t from a fist.”

Terry looked at his arm.

“He’s right!” Ragnar gasped, “Those are finger marks.”

“Were you grabbed during the fight?” Pankraz asked.

Terry shook his head.

“I separated ‘em,” Carver spoke up, “I might’ve grabbed him.”

“Terry?”

Terry shrugged, “I guess it was him. I wasn’t paying attention to him. He wasn’t my opponent.”

“Alright. So Carver breaks up the fight. But how did you get those wounds?” Pankraz pointed to Carver’s right knuckle, which was covered in scabs.

Carver looked at his hand, “Oh. I dunno. Workin’ out, I guess.”

“What happened next?” Sancho prompted.

“He visited Maya,” Pankraz continued, “They went for a walk around the Castle. She gave him her perfume as promise to meet him again when they had more time. Next, he ate lunch in the mess hall. He went on duty at the gate until Ragnar returned back and… that was apparently the last anyone saw of him.”

Glances turned to Ragnar. He noticed them and stiffened, “Ye dinnae think I killed him? One o’ my own men?!”

“No. You didn’t murder him,” Pankraz said, “You were fighting monsters all day, you would have been far too exhausted.”

“I thought for sure ye dinnae believe me when I said I was fightin’ monsters…” Ragnar smiled softly.

“I didn’t at first,” Pankraz admitted, “Until Terry and Psaro got here.”

“There are a fair amount of monsters in the area,” Psaro confirmed.

“Enough to be a threat to Gotha,” Terry nodded.

“With Ladja here, it proves your story without a doubt.”

Ladja chuckled.

“I’m sorry, yer Highness…” Ragnar sighed, “I’ve been a disgrace… my behavior has verged on treacherous… I was exhausted an’ a bit angry that ye dinnae believe me.”

Pankraz nodded, “Quite understandable.”

“Then… you discovered the liars?” Ladja prompted.

“Yes. At first I had to consider the fact that you may have been lying. If that so, any number of people could have been lying or I could have been on the wrong track altogether and no one was lying. But I decided to closely examine the accounts given to me and discovered that the liars are Carver and Meena.”

The accused looked surprised, as did the rest of the company.

“Carver said that he was asked advice on how to approach Maya for a date. Maya has a reputation for never dating. And it’s also been said that Carver has strong feelings for her and rarely lets another man near her.”

Maya refused to meet Carver’s eyes.

“How was the girl lying?” Psaro asked.

“She told me she saw nothing of the events before the murder. She claimed that she had lost her powers since was not able to predict Mada’s abduction. The reason she couldn’t foresee that was because the malevolence clouded her vision. This time, there was no such force and I knew she wasn’t telling me what she truly saw.”

“But why would they keell the guard?” Sancho pressed.

“A lie does not indicate guilt.”

“I don’t understand…” Sancho frowned in confusion.

Pankraz stared at all of them for a moment, “The murderer is Maya.”

Maya’s eyes widened, “What?! You don’t seriously suspect me?”

“Not at all. I know you killed him.”

The room erupted. Everyone seemed to be in agreement that the dancer was not the culprit. Maya was laughing, thinking that this was some sort of joke, “I don’t understand how you could think I could have done something like this!”

“The answer is very simple. Unfortunately, Ladja was correct. I had been going about the investigation the wrong way. I had been searching for the murderer without examining why he was killed.”

“Why was he killed?” Meena asked softly.

“His diary.”

“Why would anyone be killed for that?” Ladja sighed, disappointed.

“To be specific, he was killed for the information in his diary. Something he knew was dangerous enough for Maya to kill him.”

“Where is this diary?” Maya crossed her arms, annoyed.

“You would have had plenty of time to sneak into his belongings and destroy it. Or maybe you seduced one of his fellow guards to do it for you. The diary is gone.”

“So you have no proof this information exists!” she frowned.

“…You mean… this diary…?” Meena produced a leather-bound book.

Maya stared at the diary in her sister’s hands in disbelief.

“Where did you get that?” Pankraz asked softly.

“Maya gave it to me… she asked me to… burn it,” Meena looked ashamed.

Pankraz took it slowly and opened it. He flipped near the back and scanned the entries. He began to read aloud, “I went to the bar last night to see Maya dance. I heard that if you went to the rear of the bar, you might get a chance to see her leave. I left her show early and headed around back. The alleyway was empty but I could hear voices. I moved closer and saw the back door was ajar. I peeked inside and – to my surprise! – saw Maya! I was about to introduce myself when I noticed she was talking to Carver. I listened to them for a bit, waiting for an opening to walk in. Instead I learned a horrible secret that I hope to Goddess I can warn the King in time. They discussed a plot involving her becoming Queen of Gotha! It made me sick. It was as if the kidnapping of our dear Queen Mada came as a blessing to her.”

The room was in shock. Tears began running down Meena’s face, “I’m so sorry, your Majesty… I wanted to stop them… but… she’s my sister…”

Maya’s face turned white, “You… TRAITOR!”

Ragnar restrained her, “Silence! Plottin’ against the Kingdom is much more severe than ye could hae ever imagined! Hoo dare ye even think o’ carryin’ oot such an insidious plot!!”

“But… how deed you know eet was Señorita Maya?” Sancho asked.

Pankraz pulled the vial of perfume from his pocket and showed it to everyone, “Because of this.”

“Her perfume?” Meena seemed shocked, “I don’t understand.”

“It’s dyed pink. I noticed that unusual red ink in your house. It smudged easy, even when dry. He wrote one more entry in his diary in the mess hall. It states that he spoke to Carver in the morning. He asked Carver to cooperate since it was Maya’s plot and he need not be involved. After scuffling with Terry, he visited Maya. They took a walk, in which they discussed the plot. Instead of giving herself up, she seduced him into silence. She gave him this bottle of perfume – inside which held a note. The note told him to sneak out of the Castle and meet her for a secret meeting to discuss the matter. The note was written in that red ink, which bled into the perfume. He was being lured to his death.”

Carver slammed his hands on the table “Tha’s not possible!” Carver shouted, “She couldn’t’ve! She doesn’t have the strength to crush his skull!”

“I thought he was stabbed,” Terry interjected, “Isn’t that why I am under suspicion?”

“Yes. Why do you presume his skull was crushed?” Psaro asked.

Carver gritted his teeth.

“I thought only those who discovered the body an’ the King knew aboot his cause o’ death…” Ragnar frowned.

“Because Maya didn’t work alone. Skilled in dancing, yes, but she is a small woman and such extensive damage couldn’t be caused by her,” Pankraz stated, “I learned, from the doctor who examined his body that it was a very specific move used to cause the guard’s death. The fist marks were clearly made by a well-trained Knuckle Sandwich. Skillfully carried out by, none other, than Carver.”

Carver recoiled.

“You bumbling, idiot!!” Maya hissed, “You ruined my chances!! You said that you would make me queen!!”

Carver didn’t say a word. He was too busy looking for the easiest route to fight his way out. He was about to lunge when he was stopped by a sword.

Psaro held his sword in front of Carver’s face, “This country’s problems are very interesting. No political struggles or princesses needing to be wed. Unrest is stirring, which may produce something extraordinary,” he glanced at Pankraz, “I expect compensation for restraining him.”

Pankraz nodded. With that, he motioned for Maya and Carver to be taken away.

To read the other part of the story, click the link! http://www.woodus.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=25090&do=findComment&comment=352027

The badge will be awarded by Woodus shortly.

And for the badge, nice Skull-n-Crossbones :)

095.png

God damn..... I could have sworn Sancho was one of them

*sigh* And I was thinking to choose Maya :( . . .

Haha, I'm glad people liked it. Would people like another contest like this in the future?

I liked the story, but I had no clue about guessing.

I would LOVE a DenVinci Code 3...(nudge, nudge, wink, wink)

Ha ha. Ok, maybe I should blow the dust off it and finally finish it off. I just need to finish making the last puzzle. Nice to hear you are looking forward to it.

That will be coming soon, just as soon as I can get it set and I get over my concussion.

Ha ha. Ok, maybe I should blow the dust off it and finally finish it off. I just need to finish making the last puzzle. Nice to hear you are looking forward to it.

As soon as you finish, send it to me and I'll get things started. Edited by Democrobot

Haha, I'm glad people liked it. Would people like another contest like this in the future?

I thought it was interresting. I really hope we would have more of them...

As soon as you finish, send it to me and I'll get things started.

Started polishing it off yesterday. Hope to have it ready in the next couple of days.

As soon as you finish, send it to me and I'll get things started.

Started polishing it off yesterday. Hope to have it ready in the next couple of days.

Great. But you may want to start it. I have some personal things come up lately. I can't host a contest till the New Year.

Glad you like the story :D I had fun writing it!

I enjoyed this contest. I would like to see another.

I still think we should have a contest to see who could come up with the best contest

I enjoyed this contest. I would like to see another.

I still think we should have a contest to see who could come up with the best contest

Maybe in the future. Just wait and see what is coming next.

Sign in to follow this