Machine Translated News Feeds

Mimas

Rant Part

I find it exceedingly annoying that basically all of the DQ news that comes out in English is just reposts from other secondary sources such as Famitsu. There is no sign that these English sites are checking out the primary sites for information. Even worse is the fact that most of the gaming sites do not even bother posting their source. This is extremely frustrating when the article is "12 New Screenshots form DQ7" or the like because that always means that they simply copied the pictures from an article on Famitsu without even Google Translating the text. You might as well just be flipping through an artbook of the game if you exclude the text from articles. It is probably too much for me to hope that the Gaming Press get one Japanese speaking teammate, but even automatic text translation is better than pretending that no text is there at all. Sadly, as this is nit a professional site we all have day jobs and cannot spend all day and night tracking down the latest news and translating it.

Suggestion Part

I propose that we add two more RSS feeds to the site. A machine translated version of the official Twitter feed (and maybe also the DQX one), and a Google news search one for the term ドラゴンクエスト. I have not tried it, but http://pipes.yqlblog.net/2012/12/10/pipes-translate-module/ is a guide on translating RSS feeds.

Yeah, I don't like it when sites essentially copy/paste an article. It must be tough when you want to generate content, but don't have Japanese speaking staff or access to Japanese assets. (I've been told Square Enix US isn't allowed to distribute Japanese assets.)

What is the current feed, I took it to start messing with it but came back not found

http://twitter.com/statuses/user_timeline/169505858.rss

That explains why we haven't gotten any messages here since October. I will try and figure it out.

Yeah, I don't like it when sites essentially copy/paste an article. It must be tough when you want to generate content, but don't have Japanese speaking staff or access to Japanese assets. (I've been told Square Enix US isn't allowed to distribute Japanese assets.)

Yeah, the relationship between game companies and publishers in Japan are a little too close and so you get a lot of things that are pretty exclusive to certain websites and the like. I suspect that the latest big update to DQX is being held off until after Jump Festa purely so that they can talk about it before it is out at the event.

Archived