Sign in to follow this  
Mario

Let's say...

...I bought DQX, let it gather dust, and developed a sudden urge to play it ten or fifteen years from now. Would the game's online features still be operational? Would it be possible to obtain everything in the game anymore? Would the monthly subscription fee remain the same?

Hard to say. The only MMO that is that old that is still operational is Ultima Online. Theoretically, it could still be up then.

In any case, you could probably create a private server if you really wanted to play.

This is my greatest fear. Because I love to replay through my favorite games.

Playing through Dragon Warrior III again on my NES right now. That's right, not an emulator. :)

Is that even possible with this game? Isn't it only offline for a few hours and everything else requires online play and other people? Which means you are relying on an internet connection, and either the company or a stranger for any hope of replaying in the future. :(

In ten-fifteen years? Don't get your hopes up, especially if they don't eventually make DQX a PC release.

I suppose game companies are no longer interested in creating titles that people will want to replay years down the road. That, alongside the monthly subscription fee, is the reason I don't plan on getting DQX: Video games shouldn't have expiration dates.

EDIT: Derpametric, your "Interests" section is rather fitting.

Edited by Mario

10 years would put it tied with some of the longest running MMORPGs around, like Asheron's Call or Everquest. There's no way to know.

Although I would almost definitely presume that there will be one time only things going on in DQX. There usually is on MMORPGs.

Edited by KiTA

Why do people say stuff like this? There has been ten Dragon Quest games not counting the remixes and spinoffs. If you want a game to play there are nine other single player Dragon Quest games to play. I am glad there is an Dragon Quest mmo because there is so much stuff you can do with Dragon Quest when it goes to mmo.

• Upvote 1