Sign in to follow this  
Gagarin

Who wrote this rant?

Wow.People really dont use common sense anymore...

You ladies seem to forget that,as many normal people there are,are just as many internet trolls,maybe twice the amount.

These internet trolls spam Bullshit on Youtube,or run around on forums like these.

everyone KNOWS that.

Dont jump to conclusions about me ranting on that site.Ive lost all interest in Dragon Quest,and would puke going to a website like that.

Use LOGIC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tblt8nSKODM&list=PLC6C9D4827D38D4C6

Yeah,That's what I said to your mother when I was $#!&ing her tight ass.

jcSQj.gif
  • Upvote 4

Wow.People really dont use common sense anymore...

You ladies seem to forget that,as many normal people there are,are just as many internet trolls,maybe twice the amount.

These internet trolls spam Bullshit on Youtube,or run around on forums like these.

everyone KNOWS that.

Dont jump to conclusions about me ranting on that site.Ive lost all interest in Dragon Quest,and would puke going to a website like that.

Use LOGIC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tblt8nSKODM&list=PLC6C9D4827D38D4C6

Yeah,That's what I said to your mother when I was $#!&ing her tight ass.

Oh my god! Internet words! Oh my god I'm offended. Also you swore at me and talked about my mom, you're so edgy and gangster.

...This is why other countries are beating us.

1.  I like the spell name changes in the newest versions of DQ.  They're thematically consistent and make sense.  The old spell names have always felt rather clunky and awkward to me. 

2.  Most of the character name changes are unnecessary.  Some notable exceptions are Kukule (which just sounds weird and out of place) to Angelo, Barbara (which sounds too old-fashioned for a teenage girl) to Ashlynn, Papas (which just sounds funny in English, though I've always thought it was weird they didn't really change Mada's name to Martha or something) to Pankraz, and a few more.  Names like Flora, Hassan, Deathtamoor (his English name sounds like the real name Mortimer, which is just plain silly) and many many monster names should never have been changed.

3.  The romanization in the old games was never that great to begin with.  It's important to keep in mind that that original names are not actual Japanese words (being written in katakana) but Japanese transcriptions of fictional, non-Japanese words.  This allows for wiggle room in how to translate many of the names.  For example, in DWM on GBC, "Mirudraas" is an egregious example, a terrible romanization for ミルドラース.  It is quite clearly supposed to be "Mild(w)rath."  When I see many of the names in Japanese I think that a French-inflected translation would make them look better in the roman alphabet, add flavor, AND be more faithful to the originals than completely changing them.  For example, rendering "Esterk" as "Estarque," "Roto" as "Loteaux" or something similar.  As many have pointed out, ミレーユ is supposed to be translated as Mireille, though Milly's not a bad compromise.  Also, I admit that space used to be an issue (with names like Deathtamoor and Orgo Demirra.)

4.  I've never cared for the medieval-y NES translation, names, or places, and I think names like Erdrick and Gwaelin sound stupid.  But I started playing DQ during the GBC era, so I have no sentimental attachment to the original Dragon Warrior releases.  Dialects have been way overused since DQVIII (where I think it fit in pretty well with the voice acting.)

5.  The voice acting and symphonic music in DQVIII are awesome.  It pisses me off when people fuss about the voice acting, because it's great.  If you don't like it, turn it off.

6.  Changing the theme-park-Christianity religion to a less-specific religion was probably a good choice, and it seems even the Japanese games are doing this now, anticipating overseas releases and trying to be sensitive/respectful of this sort of thing. 

7.  There's nothing wrong with making changes in localization - as I already said, the issue of spell names has been handled very well, and when I play DQ in Japanese it's often tough for me to remember all the original spell names.  But there are so many unnecessary changes to monster names, character names, and place names that I find it virtually impossible to converse with Japanese people about the DQ games I've played in English.  The problem with the English localizations is that since DQIV they've tried to completely erase the original "flavor" of the game and replace it with a silly, pun-infested atmosphere that's unfaithful to the original and nobody particularly likes or wants anyway.

8.  Whoever wrote the original rant is a crappy writer.

I do not like Frizz or Crack. They should go back to being Blaze/Icebolt.

1.  I like the spell name changes in the newest versions of DQ.  They're thematically consistent and make sense.  The old spell names have always felt rather clunky and awkward to me. 

2.  Most of the character name changes are unnecessary.  Some notable exceptions are Kukule (which just sounds weird and out of place) to Angelo, Barbara (which sounds too old-fashioned for a teenage girl) to Ashlynn, Papas (which just sounds funny in English, though I've always thought it was weird they didn't really change Mada's name to Martha or something) to Pankraz, and a few more.  Names like Flora, Hassan, Deathtamoor (his English name sounds like the real name Mortimer, which is just plain silly) and many many monster names should never have been changed.

3.  The romanization in the old games was never that great to begin with.  It's important to keep in mind that that original names are not actual Japanese words (being written in katakana) but Japanese transcriptions of fictional, non-Japanese words.  This allows for wiggle room in how to translate many of the names.  For example, in DWM on GBC, "Mirudraas" is an egregious example, a terrible romanization for ミルドラース.  It is quite clearly supposed to be "Mild(w)rath."  When I see many of the names in Japanese I think that a French-inflected translation would make them look better in the roman alphabet, add flavor, AND be more faithful to the originals than completely changing them.  For example, rendering "Esterk" as "Estarque," "Roto" as "Loteaux" or something similar.  As many have pointed out, ミレーユ is supposed to be translated as Mireille, though Milly's not a bad compromise.  Also, I admit that space used to be an issue (with names like Deathtamoor and Orgo Demirra.)

4.  I've never cared for the medieval-y NES translation, names, or places, and I think names like Erdrick and Gwaelin sound stupid.  But I started playing DQ during the GBC era, so I have no sentimental attachment to the original Dragon Warrior releases.  Dialects have been way overused since DQVIII (where I think it fit in pretty well with the voice acting.)

5.  The voice acting and symphonic music in DQVIII are awesome.  It pisses me off when people fuss about the voice acting, because it's great.  If you don't like it, turn it off.

6.  Changing the theme-park-Christianity religion to a less-specific religion was probably a good choice, and it seems even the Japanese games are doing this now, anticipating overseas releases and trying to be sensitive/respectful of this sort of thing. 

7.  There's nothing wrong with making changes in localization - as I already said, the issue of spell names has been handled very well, and when I play DQ in Japanese it's often tough for me to remember all the original spell names.  But there are so many unnecessary changes to monster names, character names, and place names that I find it virtually impossible to converse with Japanese people about the DQ games I've played in English.  The problem with the English localizations is that since DQIV they've tried to completely erase the original "flavor" of the game and replace it with a silly, pun-infested atmosphere that's unfaithful to the original and nobody particularly likes or wants anyway.

8.  Whoever wrote the original rant is a crappy writer.

There's an inconsistency between you point 2 and 3. Mortamor is more Italian than French. Or  Latin. (Mort/Morte being the French/Italian for Death). 

It is here a combination of the French/Italian world from Death and Love, which seems pretty cool, actually. 

Actually, Mortamor is an example of good translation. Letting an english world in its namewould look amateurish in other languages, IMO.

I would have nothing against malroth, if it wasn't used for this awfull pun in the French Version of Joker...

Actually, a Latin Version of these nameswould really looks great.

"There's an inconsistency between you point 2 and 3..."

Actually, no.  I'm only referring to giving the names a foreign language flavor within the confines of katakana-to-romaji wiggle room. 

"There's an inconsistency between you point 2 and 3..."

Actually, no.  I'm only referring to giving the names a foreign language flavor within the confines of katakana-to-romaji wiggle room. 

But what they did with Deathtamoor/Mortamor is the same thing you want for Esterk/Estarque. 

That is the only things that seemed out of place to me...

I personally prefer Mortamor compared to Deathtamoor, because it seemed more polished.