Sign in to follow this  
King Zenith

New Batch of Awesome Screenshots

Siliconera has a bunch of new screenshots up today. They look mouth-wateringly awesome!

Here is the link.

Delightful! :thumbsup:

Looks like visible encounters in dungeons as well from that Mt. Flame screenshot, Bubble Slime.

I can't wait to start seeing videos. I wonder when they are going to release the first one. :????:

HellCloud you Son of a Behemoose! This time I WILL defeat you on my first try!

On another note, I hope Gabo's wolf wipes its paws before entering a house. Wouldn't want muddy paw prints on the floor would we?

Made a video for them alongside a collection update I was going to do tonight anyways!

These are all awesome, especially for me because I just replayed this game on PlayStation and I recognize everything on these screens.

I cant wait for this game's release.

Question, Saigan. How do you great your facial hair like that? I've been going for that look for a while...

Wrong about calling DQIV a port of the PSX version. While graphically they look similiar, they are pretty different. Different maps. I'm not entirely sure they're even on the same engine, to be honest.

Edited by Megalosaro

Nice screenshots.

Question, Saigan. How do you great your facial hair like that? I've been going for that look for a while...

Wrong about calling DQIV a port of the PSX version. While graphically they look similiar, they are pretty different. Different maps. I'm not entirely sure they're even on the same engine, to be honest.

I trim it down to size when it gets scraggily and just use a razor where I don't want the beard to grow.

I was totally certain it was a port! thanks for the correction!

That's interesting to hear. I know that the Pioneer town is different (at least in terms of how you get Pioneers). Outside of that, this is the first I have heard of anything being different, be it graphically or otherwise. I have ripped maps from both versions to compare and I can say that the Overworld map is identical (pixel to pixel matching while creating the tileset maps). I also have ripped the bestiary from both and the sprites are identical (though the DS ones are animated, while the PSX ones only animate when they are attacking...). Additionally, the character and monster stats and data are identical between the two versions.

Which maps are different? Would it just be some dungeon maps?

Out of curiosity, how similar does something have to be for it to be considered a "port" versus a remake? If the only difference between these two versions was that monster sprites were animated, would that still be considered a port, or is that sufficient grounds to call it a remake?

• Upvote 1

Check some of the town maps, it's most apparent there. Burland in particular.

For me to consider a game a port, a developer has to basically take the original game and just alter the programming to work on a different platform.

• Upvote 1

I see. Touché!

Thanks for pointing that out.

No problem. Personally I wouldn't have noticed it either, but I'm really OCD about DQIV. I think the DS version looks slightly better, mostly due to better textures.

Edited by Megalosaro

Yeah, port vs remake falls down to more of a programming issue. I don't really understant why did they decided to make DQVIDS so similar to the PSX version, V an VI look so much better, they could have used different npc sprites and played a bit more with the look of everything.

V seems to be heavily based on the PS2 version as well, that's why VI is by far the prettiest of the remakes, since it had no previous remakes.

By the way just out of curiosity did the DS version had any script updates when compered to the PSX version, like party chat and such? Or even better, do they ever review the scripts of any the games when they do a remake? Sadly only someone who played multiple japanese versions can answer it. I know they retranslate the game when localizing it, not just DQ games, but I've always been curious to know if the japanese script is kept the same.

Edited by Billy MK

I believe it was all Arte Piazza doing the CG design. Whether or not actual code was reusable is a different story.

Is it a port? Yeah...maybe.

Reusing the same engine (the corner stone of the game's software)? I don't think so. It's reproducing the graphical style and using the same or tweaked elements, but I do not think there's common software underneath it.

"Just" a port is kind of a misnomer, anyway. Porting software is sometimes just like entirely remaking it from scratch.

Edited by Gagarin

They arent, the only thing i remember having the same on DS was the character sprites.