Sign in to follow this  
gigadrive08

Did anyone else hate the post-game grottoes?

I beat the game around 50 hours and think I quit around 140 hours into it. Every grotto I got had the harder/newer enemies on floor 9 or lower. Finally decided enough is enough and sold the stupid game. I want post-game content to be challenging IMMEDIATELY, not 300 hours into it. I was fighting the same monsters over and over and over and over.

Before some ass uber-flames you, I did the exact same thing. I AR'ed the post-game DLC and crap so I could SKIP THOSE THINGS. (( Plus because I didn't have reliable wifi in my area. My DSL hated wifi for some reason. ))

So I understand completely.

I actually thought the grottoes were kinda cool the first few times I went through them (reminded me of the magic key worlds from the Dragon Warrior Monsters 2). After that, though... :P

I think the main issue is that eventually you NEED things from the grottoes for certain quests and the best stuff. This is an issue because, in my experience, the incredible randomness of the grottoes (and game in general, really...) means it can take you forever to get these things, even when using applications that help you anticipate when to do something to manipulate the RNG (mind, that bit might not be so true given how I've only done the Hoimi table, like, three times to no avail). As an example, I had to fight the last, non-legacy grotto boss about 27ish times before I finally got the legacy boss map to drop. I did not like running through that grotto that many times, and made it a one-trip-a-day bit after burning myself out going through it a bunch in one day.

If I learned anything from playing one of my other copies, it's that grottoes can be not-annoying when you just do them for the heck of it. No hunting for specific items or monsters, just running around, exploring, beating stuff up, and fighting a boss. Mind, even that probably gets unbearable once you start dealing with the absurdly strong, highest ranking monsters. Wight emperors can go extinct, yo.

But yeah... I like IX's main game, but the post-game is full o' cowpats. Mind, I never got mad enough to sell my game(s) :P

Have had fantasies about pulverising them with a hammer, though.

This game was sub-par as a whole.

This game was sub-par as a whole.

For the main game, all they needed to do in order to increase difficulty was increase enemy defense/attack power or something. More often than not, my agility was so high (I guess?) that I had killed all the enemies in a battle before they'd even started. And it's not like I was grinding, either. Maybe if/when I buy a second copy of the game, I'll avoid most encounters. The great thing about random battles is you KNOW you're at the right EXP for that point in the game. With fixed ecnounters, sometimes it feels like "fight every enemy in your way" actually makes you overpowered...

The game was honestly one of the worse in the series.

Hated the post game grottos, hated the fact that you needed to tag people in order to get a better inn, hated that you could grind for a while, then when you're ready for the boss, just run past all of the enemies, avoiding any battle so you are at 100% to fight against the boss, the puns....

If i had to put it on a list of DQ games from liked most to hated; IX would be last on the list.

But to be fair, i haven't played through the story of IX in quite a while. . .Since there's only one save and I don't want to lose all of the tags/grottos i managed to get.

Wow, I thought you've be flamed, topic-maker. Some folk here LOVED IX.

I personally did not like it. The final boss music was horrible.

Before some ass uber-flames you, I did the exact same thing. I AR'ed the post-game DLC and crap so I could SKIP THOSE THINGS. (( Plus because I didn't have reliable wifi in my area. My DSL hated wifi for some reason. ))

So I understand completely.

Me too. I don't have wifi and can't find anyone to spot pass with...

What annoyed me the most was the uber-randomness of the game. I stopped because I was unable to find a goddamn Excalipurr...

And don't talk me about the "Do a normal critical hit!" missions...

What I liked however is the replayability value of the game. I also love this game world.

Mainly because I'm a big fan of "Ruined" terrains.

I also liked seeing the little details becomming plot points in the post game.

I also really liked the game play

...This must be the DQ where I used AR the most.

I personally did not like it. The final boss music was horrible.

Yeah, but the Starflight Express is really perfect ! That's exactly the music for a flying train.

...Long story short....

Some good Ideas, a cool world, but the extreme randomess, and grinding is detrimental.

That I have to agree with. The airship-style music in this game did fit quite well.

Well, I had already had the Masayuki and Locker map before I cleared the main game. So I had never known how boring the grotto grinding people thought about......

......until the day I started grinding for my own rare maps.

Now I still want several maps but the drop rate of them is lower than 1/2000.......I have to do it over and over and over because I have no enough money to take an airplane to Tokyo for tagging those all back.

Edited by MelonGx

I don't hate it, more like a time killer, something just to do.

I just finished not too long ago the main game and after 10 grottoes am tired of them and of the after game stuff. Clocked in at 125 hours. So I waited, lucked out, got a new DSlite for $20 and DQ9 used complete for $20ish. A few things I disliked were things like too cartoony and cutesy of monsters which is DQ so that's that. Some of the music could have been a little more adventurous sounding... the magic train which I knew before the game came out would sort of bother me but in the end I enjoyed it. Didn't mind being able to see the monsters on the map, liked them chasing you if you caught their attention and fleeing if you're a higher level. I quite liked the freedom of the handheld and the graphics were fine. I liked that you could see what your characters were wearing, something I've asked for for years, a little thing but I liked it. Could it have been better? Yes. Was it the worst DQ game? Well.... looking at the series progression... I have a soft spot for each entry, 7 felt clunkiest and most repetitious.

I did the game solo up until Gittingham Palace and then when I did add members only added 2. I like the idea of being able to do solo or party but prefer if your party consisted of (optionally for the most part) other game characters which join and leave and sort of have a back story and not no name things you create. Part of the enjoyment of the other characters is their personality and back story and that they join you for their own benefit as well. Catch what I'm saying?

The grottoes were disappointing and lost their fun very quick.

One thing I'd do... each area would have it's monsters and the monsters would breed or respawn, however in dungeons, towers and so on once you clear a level it stays clear until monsters once again make their way in. Also you'd be able to wipe out monsters in wild areas as well making it safe to travel, if the wild area has been cleared of monsters they'd be unable to then move in and occupy dungeons, towers, etc.

I logged in after years of absence just to see how the DQ community feels about DQIX. When it came out, I decided not to buy it. For me, DQVIII would be my last DQ. DQVIII was great, but I felt I had enough of DQ. All 8 Dragon Quest are really the same, play a couple of them and you've played them all. The only reason I still went for DQVIII was the cell-shading graphics and real 3D environment which made the game gorgeous.

So, I expected no less from DQIX, but when I saw they planned it for the Nintendo DS, and that the graphics would go a step down from those of the eight installment to look more like those of the PS game, I was strongly disappointed and this added to my resolve not to play it.

But so many years later, I've got the chance to give it a try through emulation. And while I liked the main story, I agree the post-game is awful. This game is reallt the worst in the series. Can't imagine what DQX will be like...

I never really had an issue with getting good grottos, but that is due to my location. The drops were also ridiculous too, 1 in 100 for like a dozen items, and at best would have a 50% chance of turning it into the alchemiracle, so basically 1 in 200 chance to get the item and turn it into the correct item.

The game really felt like a single player mmorpg if that even makes sense. Even in Japan where this game is popular, the drops are still pretty bad. The tags are sort of understandable since the game is meant for Japan and the only thing they really change in localization is the text.

I would call it a selfish game, in the sense that it only wants you to play that game. There's so much stuff to get, yet it is very random too, so you play it for a very long time to get nearly everything. Just leveling all 13 legacy bosses to 99 took a long time, or getting +10 in a vocation.

• Upvote 1

I really love this game to the core, I even bought an extra copy so I could play again. Yeah, the tagging, the drops, the repetitive grottoes are flawed, but I still enjoy the game.

To call it the worst, I don't think I would do that, but then which one I could call it the worst? I definitely have more fun playing this than DQI for exemple, but it's unfair to such an old game. Maybe Joker, but even that game I loved playing. To me it's a solid rpg. A bad Dragon Quest is still light years ahead some other jrpgs to me.

Edited by Billy MK

One of the main problems with the post-game stuff is that you either have to get it yourself, which can take hours of grinding, or find a way to get your hands on some special maps. Lucky I was able to circumvent this problem with an R4 and a 2nd DS, but I can see how it would be frustrating for other people.

Mind you, I still have had to do a lot of grinding, which is normal in a DQ game I suppose. If you were outside of Japan, you were pretty much screwed over, since it was hard to find other people who had the game and were trying to get maps, too. Hopefully somewhere down the line when DQ9 gets remade, trading maps will be easier since they'll likely make it online (something they added for the DQ7 remake).

I actually really enjoy progressing through grottoes and improving my characters :) Not to forget getting better equipment and creating more stuff in alchemy :D

I'm aiming for %100!!!

I am still working on 999 kills of every enemy that can reasonably be fought more than once (ie: non-story bosses). Still need a map with a mimic-ready QS/QL chest on floor 3. Mostly done with the Grotto bosses, cannibox, and pandora boxes; still have a lot of legacy bosses to fight.

I don't play it that often or I'd probably be further along in that process.

i pritty much love everything about ix, well theres 2 things i have beef with.

1.the other characters in your party dont have a back-story

2. i have become so used to having monsters on pop up on the world map, any 'new' rpg that still uses random battles - realy seems to p#ss me of, which destroyd the pokemon games for me

BUT ye i realy enjoy the grottoes and won't stop playing the game untill its 100%, 999 kills etc...

i would and do say DQix is the best rpg ever made, but with DQX on the way im real sad to say dragon quest is only getting worse, if i do swollow my pride n tiers and bye X i don't know how long I will last being a DQ fan - DQX looks like the last good bye for me

What does 999 kills do?

and I won't be buying X... Mainly because I don't have a wii

They should make a game on PS3/PS4

VIII was amazing.

999 kills doesn't realy do anything its just the most times you can kill any-one monster, so its just to make me feel good (i do have a few on 999 already). as for dqx the things that do my head in is the battle system (which i don't care what people say it could n should have been turn-based, i mean that was the main reason i loved the fanchise so much) - and i have never played a DQ game in multiplayer before n dont feel like doing it now, but single player in X makes the battle system look more anouying!

i would have also liked it to be a topdown game,but thats been the least of my worries.

The game was honestly one of the worse in the series.

I agree with you but I also feel it is a great game to introduce new DQers to... kind of ease them in, you know?

I liked IX more than I did VIII.  It's not my favorite in the series by any means but I still had fun with it.  Between the time I spent with the  Japanese version, and my time with the US version, I easily have over 500 hours.

I think one of the things that determines a person's opinion of the game is whether or not they actually used the multiplayer.  I managed to convince my best friend and another friend to buy the game (wasn't too hard, they both enjoyed prior games).  So it was the three of us going around doing stuff.

If you don't do multiplayer stuff, I could see the game as being lifeless and boring.  But with the multiplayer, it is quite fun.  Especially the grottos.  They were pretty much designed to give you something to do with friends, not grind at alone.

Edited by Megalosaro
  • Upvote 1

I liked IX more than I did VIII.  It's not my favorite in the series by any means but I still had fun with it.  Between the time I spent with the  Japanese version, and my time with the US version, I easily have over 500 hours.

I think one of the things that determines a person's opinion of the game is whether or not they actually used the multiplayer.  I managed to convince my best friend and another friend to buy the game (wasn't too hard, they both enjoyed prior games).  So it was the three of us going around doing stuff.

If you don't do multiplayer stuff, I could see the game as being lifeless and boring.  But with the multiplayer, it is quite fun.  Especially the grottos.  They were pretty much designed to give you something to do with friends, not grind at alone.

You're actually the first person I've known to prefer IX over VIII, I suppose the multi-player aspect would definitely change how you look at the game. I *WISH* I had people to play with.