So, what is it like?

Well, after going beast mode on the DS remakes and IX and giving back my friends DS, I stopped lurking around here. Just about that time we had DQ X rumors...maybe some screens, and I knew it was coming for the Wii and WiiU.

So I see a WiiU demo (it reminds me of the joke about the SUV that's so big it has a spare SUV in case it breaks down... ), and I think ...WAIT, what about Dragon Quest?

So we're still a ways away from a US release (if we have one), but what does it mean it's online? Online like... No ending? Raid nights and those stupid headsets? No voice acting, just text fetch quests? No story? (That's just my impression from my WoW playing friends).

I've not played the game obviously and can't make heads or tails on what I've seen on videos or by what people are writing.

I always thought a player versus player tournament component or a monster arena area (and new dungeons, treasure hunts, and a market place to sell what you found) were no brainers for an online COMPONENT to the next console DQ game, but I can't figure out how were supposed to save the world with a few hundred thousand of our closest strangers doing the same thing.

So any players have impressions or know how other games do this?

So we're still a ways away from a US release (if we have one), but what does it mean it's online? Online like... No ending? Raid nights and those stupid headsets? No voice acting, just text fetch quests? No story? (That's just my impression from my WoW playing friends).

By online, it means that in order to progress through the story, you will need to log on to wi-fi to continue playing it. You will be able to interact with other players and you can go on quests with your friends.

Listening to X in 10 makes it sound a lot like DQ9, only online. This is a good thing.

The online elements sound like Final Fantasy 11. This is a bad thing.

But they have things like AI controlled PCs and other changes that make FF11's model not as bad.

Edited by KiTA

It is technically a DQ game, and people "beat" FFXI's first "final boss", the Shadow Lord, within a few weeks of release, if I remember right.

In reguards to the OQ it does have a story much like FFXI did, and also in the same way it requires you to level up accordingly to access it. There doesn't appear to be voice acting but indeed standard text blocks. Quests for the story are never fetch, but some side ones are (like the tavern AI partner quest for example). I've seen a Lv. 55 Human Warrior, full Platinum gear, and with all quests so far completed, although even he admitted that he was extremely hardcore; most arn't that far yet.

-Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

This thread gives me a great desire to take a trip down memory lane and play FFXI again...but then I remember that installation length and Square Enix account related configuration, so maybe not. I wonder how FFXIV 2.0/Realm Reborn will play out.

Having an ending sounds good - but having it continue on afterwords is also good (replaying DQ9, you find a lot of fun just leveling up; becomes a good pick-up and play game)

My question, though, is which race is best to start with? I keep thinking the little Pupo-whatevers would be cool to try out (they are cute, after all)

Yeah, I beat the Hell King (final boss) a few months ago. Most of my friends in the game did so as well. It ends with a "Too be Continued" but they state that there will not be any addition to the story for a few more months.

Best race to start with is something that you will have to decide for yourself. The first part of the story is different based on which you choose, and it certainly sounds like it will make some more story difference in the next story update, but that is the main issue. There are some minor stat differences. As an ogre when I am a Paladin (Level 25) I had one extra MP point as a human than an ogre, but almost all of my other stats were slightly lower. As an ogre I also have more of a resistance to fire. I would have to look up to be certain, but I think humans have resistance to "dark". Just minor differences like that. It is more like a personality test than anything else.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I beat the Hell King (final boss) a few months ago. Most of my friends in the game did so as well. It ends with a "Too be Continued" but they state that there will not be any addition to the story for a few more months.

Best race to start with is something that you will have to decide for yourself. The first part of the story is different based on which you choose, and it certainly sounds like it will make some more story difference in the next story update, but that is the main issue. There are some minor stat differences. As an ogre when I am a Paladin (Level 25) I had one extra MP point as a human than an ogre, but almost all of my other stats were slightly lower. As an ogre I also have more of a resistance to fire. I would have to look up to be certain, but I think humans have resistance to "dark". Just minor differences like that. It is more like a personality test than anything else.

You can only be Your Chosen Race or Human, right, you can't do quests to switch between Ogre and Elf or whatnot, right?

You can only be Your Chosen Race or Human, right, you can't do quests to switch between Ogre and Elf or whatnot, right?

Yes, at this point that is correct.