Sign in to follow this  
Mr. RPG

Election 2012

28 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I doubt this will be the last we hear of Romney. He'll be like some old fashion Super Villian that never dies.

Yeah Romney was pretty awful. Flip flopping all over the place. Spreading lies in Ohio about the car industry even after they were rebuttaled by the actual companies. Then there's the mockery he made of himself in England I think it was, almost creating a political incident.

If the republicans don't want to lose Congress in 2014 they'll have to consider going for more centered policies. Also Obama doesn't have to worry about being reelected again. So I think you can be hopeful more things will happen, good or bad.

We had a centrist candidate. It was Romney. Romney was rather centrist in his policies and even had his own Romneycare. As far as Obama goes, I hope there's tons of gridlock. Divided government is good. When government does things, usually we're all screwed because it's bad. I don't think Republicans will lose congress in two years. Sitting presidents almost always get massacred in congress after six years. The only exception was Clinton because he was actually smart enough to work with Newt Gingrich to get a balanced budget while dealing with an impeachment for stupid reasons. Obama isn't in Clinton's league when it comes to smarts or anything and is too arrogant to realize the problems with spending. Clinton, unlike Obama, was a governor for 12 years before he was in the White House. He had the experience to deal with legislatures. Obama's the democrat equivalent of George W Bush. Ignorant, arrogant, inexperienced and unable to think on his feet.

Yeah Romney was pretty awful. Flip flopping all over the place. Spreading lies in Ohio about the car industry even after they were rebuttaled by the actual companies. Then there's the mockery he made of himself in England I think it was, almost creating a political incident.

As someone who is tied to the auto industry, Romney was almost right about the outsourcing. Fiat owns them, and discussed moving jobs to Italy instead of China. I expect that to happen now the election is over. As far as the flip flopping goes, that's why I voted for libertarian Gary Johnson. I'd rather have Romney than Obama because of the fiscal nightmare under his reign, but he wasn't going to win this state so I voted my conscience.

Well I don't think you can blame a global economic crisis on one man. It mainly was wall street's doing anyway not even Bush's fault. Also there had to be government spending (which increased the deficit) for instance to save the auto industry you're in. Jobs have been growing steadily under Obama.

That being said, I'm european, so I will never understand why a lot of americans are so against government. A land where it's every man for itself can't be pleasant to live. It brings chances of survival back to the primitive darwinian ones. Only the strong survive. Which might be the reason your nation is also so bend on gun owning. I for one think humanity is bigger than that. Bigger than animalistic urges for survival. Compassion, tolerance and collaboration are words I'd gladly repeat from Obama's speech.

Also some republicans preaching to make abortion illegal claiming it's murder while they gladly see a poor man die because he can't afford health care is peculiar to me.

Edited by TRL

Well I don't think you can blame a global economic crisis on one man. It mainly was wall street's doing anyway not even Bush's fault. Also there had to be government spending (which increased the deficit) for instance to save the auto industry you're in. Jobs have been growing steadily under Obama.

That being said, I'm european, so I will never understand why a lot of americans are so against government. A land where it's every man for itself can't be pleasant to live. It brings chances of survival back to the primitive darwinian ones. Only the strong survive. Which might be the reason your nation is also so bend on gun owning. I for one think humanity is bigger than that. Bigger than animalistic urges for survival. Compassion, tolerance and collaboration are words I'd gladly repeat from Obama's speech.

Also some republicans preaching to make abortion illegal claiming it's murder while they gladly see a poor man die because he can't afford health care is peculiar to me.

My parents are retired auto workers. I don't work in the industry but I'm tied to it.

Jobs sure haven't increased here in my part of the country, and Obama didn't save the industry. Two auto makers went bankrupt anyway even after both auto bailouts (one Bush, one Obama). Bankruptcy reorganization to be more specific. The U3 rate always announced is misleading. It doesn't include inactive contractors, inactive small businesses, discouraged unemployed workers not looking for work. It also shows "growth" when full time workers going part time. The media is in the tank for Obama (except Fox news in the tank for Romney) so they don't report truth. As far as speeches go, talk is cheap, and that's all most politicians do. Don't look at the talk, but the actions.

Over 260 million people in the 20th century have been murdered by their own government. This isn't some distant time and wasn't limited to Hitler or Stalin. That is six times the amount of people killed in war. While there's always talk about this new enlightened time, the nature of politics has not changed. The nature of power has not changed. The more power given to government, the more likely government kills people, and they have the guns. That was true in the days of King George, Lord North, and it is true today. Government is a necessary evil, and should be as limited as possible.

http://www.hawaii.edu/powerkills/welcome.html

One thing people from other countries don't understand is the American system for the same reason we don't understand other country's systems. You can read it in a book or see it on TV, and hear about it on the radio, but it's not the same as actually living under it. Where I live, we have four levels of government. Federal, state, county, local. Washington DC doesn't understand my area as much as Lansing, which doesn't understand my area as well as the county or township. The fed's take the most money and do the least amount of positive work. Most of our needs are served by locals who get the least. Police. Fire. Schools. Roads. Court system. These are all mostly local run, not by DC. These locals actually understand our community and live among us. I actually know my local officials who are often spared from my vote against most incumbent philosophy.

As far as guns go, most of us own guns in my area and our murder rate is lower than most of Europe. I don't live in a big city either. In addition the areas in the US with the strictest gun laws often have the worst crime. Just because Chicago people kill each other doesn't mean we do in North Michigan. I'm 10miles from the police station. Close to 17km. That's fine by me. If a bad guy or a bear (rare, but happens) attacks us, we have no defense outside of ourselves. Us rural people are used to taking care of ourselves and each other. We don't need much government, nor want their help, or more importantly, do not want to be under their control with excessive rules and regulations. Humanity doesn't need much government to be good. Most of us are good people and we take care of each other. The winters are tough here and brings out the best in us. Some of the same people who complain about taxes are the first to write a $50,000 check to the local Catholic charity who does a much better job of helping people than the government.

I expect our government to balance the budget, do no more than what is needed, do their jobs properly, and otherwise leave us alone. I have a problem when our government requires me to buy approved health insurance. I have a problem when they put people in jail for smoking a doobie. I have a problem when the police bust into homes military style due to the war on drugs even as I dislike drugs. I have a problem with government trying to 'protect me from myself' and using those tickets and fines as revenue enhancement.

We're perfectly able to take care of each other without a strong government.

Hitler and Stalin were dictators, that wasn't democracy anymore. I see freedom as the ability to do whatever I want (which I can). Regulations have to be there to prevent chaos.

Yes dictators can create genocide, but well so can civil war where you're just doing it to eachother. I do believe the united states have had something like that. ;) And there lies the danger of politically divided countries.

If murder rates are so low in your region, why do you carry guns?

In any case murder and crime rates are higher in general in the US than in most of European countries. Our human poverty indexes are generally lower because of social security and health care systems. Also education is funded. Diminishing poverty and increasing education levels will surely lower crime, I don't see how just "freedom" does the same.

As it stands scandinavia has model societies for the world. They are among the richest in the world and also happen to be the most progressive, social and ecological in the world. Even we in western Europe could learn from them. So you see it isn't all that black and white. You don't have to be capitalist to be a wealthy country.

But I know it's a deep rooted belief of the states, which is passed on from generation to generation. So yeah it's hard to change that. And yes in small communities like yours, government isn't able to affect your lives significantly anyway. It may work for you, but not necessarily for the rest of your country.

Edited by TRL

That was nice to read. With the left not being very gracious in their win and painting everyone not 100% left as beneath them, it was nice to read something respectful.

If murder rates are so low in your region, why do you carry guns?

Because there are some crazies out there. I live in Houston, and while it's a good city, some parts of town can switch between traffic lights.

But to the notion of why so many Americans are against government - that's because American government rarely does anything well. After seeing what generations of government dependence did to the citizens of New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina, nope, not me.

I felt both candidates were equally awful. I think I would've voted for Romney. "If you have to choose between two evils, pick the one who hasn't been tried yet'

I felt both candidates were equally awful. I think I would've voted for Romney. "If you have to choose between two evils, pick the one who hasn't been tried yet'

Mitt said shut down PBS. That makes him the devil.

Yeah, I'm not touching this one.

The electoral process is broken if people feel they have to pick "between two evils" IMHO

Not really. PBS can take care of themselves. 'Sides, the only thing they really got going for them is Austin City Limits. Sesame Street's nothin' but Elmo these days.

Let's keep cutting and take out the Ad Council while we're at it. HATE those $#!&in' things! There're a million of them and all horrible.

PBS gets funding from numerous sources, not just government subsidies. If it can't survive without the money given by the government, it shouldn't exist anyways.

The electoral process is broken if people feel they have to pick "between two evils" IMHO

The electoral process isn't broken, the people in the country are. Sheepish to the end, people refuse to think for themselves. Others refuse to vote because they honestly believe their vote doesn't count. It's a damned shame. There are more than two candidates and people need to really take that into consideration when voting.

That's one of my favorite's from him. ^

(I've had people throw that "Don't vote, don't count" crap around too)

The people are broken.

People vote more against someone than for somebody. I don't know a lot of people here who voted for Mitt Romney. They voted against Barack Obama. I don't know a lot of people here who voted for Obama. They voted against Mitt Romney. The other guys were the benefits for that. Romney benefited from Catherine voting for the best chance in November to defeat whom she referred to as "the jackass." I was in the doghouse on election day for voting my conscience. She told me I was voting for Obama by voting for Johnson. I said that Obama already was going to win Michigan because of Romney's editorial on the automakers in 2008.

On my ballot, there was write-in Gary Johnson (who was on the ballot in most states). There was Virgil Goode. There was Jill Stein. There was Ross Anderson. Those are actual candidates. Johnson was a ex-governor. Goode was a Congressman (both R and D). Anderson was mayor of Salt Lake City. Those are experienced individuals. I voted for Johnson. I think he would have been the best president we've had in 25 years.

The main reason why the people are broken is because they don't vote in primary elections when most decisions are actually made. For my state elections, primaries are in August. For presidential, they are normally in February. I always vote in primaries. I vote in general elections as well, but primaries are the most important.

I don't think so. If you're not voting, you're not doing anything at all to change things. Voting is the bare minimum.

I do love how the audience applauded him saying the public is stupid. Does that magically exclude them?

Carlin has a point. A lot of times, people don't vote because they don't like any candidate. If I can't stand any candidate, why should I vote? I always vote, but I will vote for 'unwinnable' 3rd party candidates at times if I don't like the Republican or Democrat running.

I don't think so. If you're not voting, you're not doing anything at all to change things. Voting is the bare minimum.

That particular point isn't what I was agreeing with. Everything before 2:02 is right. After that... is a funny joke made with a twist on perspective, but still using logic.

I do love how the audience applauded him saying the public is stupid. Does that magically exclude them?

People go see comedians to be entertained. They can make fun of the crowd directly and as long as the delivery is right the crowd will applaud.

If I can't stand any candidate, why should I vote? I always vote, but I will vote for 'unwinnable' 3rd party candidates at times if I don't like the Republican or Democrat running.

I think it would be great if everyone got out there and voted 3rd party for one election, just to shake up the D and R. Show 'em we don't need 'em. Maybe they'll get back to some semblance of normal people after that.

Edited by GrandAlchemist

If I can't stand any candidate, why should I vote? I always vote, but I will vote for 'unwinnable' 3rd party candidates at times if I don't like the Republican or Democrat running.

I think it would be great if everyone got out there and voted 3rd party for one election, just to shake up the D and R. Show 'em we don't need 'em. Maybe they'll get back to some semblance of normal people after that.

Yeah exactly. If you think about it that way, any vote counts. Because they always look at the numbers. And if they see they're losing votes to a third party, they'll definitely try to change up some policies to cater to those voters to try to win them back. There may never come a third party, but those votes do influence the 2 others.