Sign in to follow this  
Cesar Hernandez-Meraz

Dragon Quest VII

Something for the "+" part of "10+" to look at, eh?

It's a miracle they left her alone. I wish they would leave these things alone. I doubt anyone will be scarred if a mermaid spirit with fish skin wears no top (even if she does have somewhat human secondary female traits).

It would be interesting to see how they decide this kind of things... Any insight about it, Dwaine?

Those are some great works, Cesar. They convey what words can't  ;)

The censoring really goes out of its way lots of the time, generally speaking. Honestly, some of these censors only make things worse, filling people's minds with a false sense of higher morality and imposed righteousness, which tends to cause more harm than good (usually more censoring). People should start looking at the brighter side of things instead of all the "bad stuff" and start showing maturity instead of [example] "ooh, eee, this looks sorta unethical, so I'll bash it because I'm so righteous like everybody else". Until the mass learns to grow up, only then will the farfetched censoring decrease.

One of the very, very few things that riles me up, though I hope it won't be a cause for derailment  >.<

Edited by Flute_Warrior
  • Upvote 1

Thanks, man.

Although it was more frequent 10 years ago, when I had more free time to imagine things, but I do try to show scenes that happened in the game, both explicitely and not. Dragon Quest VII was a great source for this because 1) it did not show a lot of things visually and 2) the text in the game described or showed that a lot of things were happening (be it emotions, action or something else). This was like reading a great book, where all the pictures come in one's own mind.

Newer games, while great for getting references for characters, do not leave a lot of room for the imagination, which is a shame...

About the censorship, you already said it all. It sometimes gets very ridiculous when they censor harmless things that weren't even showing anything (I never thought of the water spirit as something other than a fish creature; even her chest would not be any sexy when one knows it is a fish creature chest, I thought).

I just noticed I repeated what I had said on post #5 on this thread... At least I am consistent.

Dragon%2BQuest%2BVII%2B-%2BOrgo%2BDemila

Demon Lord Orgo Demila and Hondara the Dream Warrior.

More (OLD) Dragon Quest VII fan art. Perhaps posting this and remembering the game will make the Universe bring the 3DS remake over to this continent (and Europe, too).

• Upvote 4

Very nice art, though Orgo's third eye should be visible even like that :P

It is not beyond His power to camouflage it. Or do you doubt His power?

• Upvote 2

"I was not feeling like drawing his face" would be sufficient for answer :P besides, he wouldn't want to hide any part of his perfect beauty)))

Nice! I like how you use all of the picture.

And what is Hondara doing there?

That is what he would like to know. :D

• Upvote 3

Let's just say that Hondara's presence will be explained in DQVII-2... Not that Cesar even knew that when he drew this, lol. I've had plans for Hondara for a looooooong time.

Dragon%2BQuest%2BVII%2B-%2BHero%2B(003).

Eden: Alus, Maribel and Kiefer.

Part of an entry to a movie poster contest. After I had already finished this pic, I realized a more interesting option to play Alus was the kid who played Aang in The Last Airbender. He has the innocent, goofy look and even has the hair just like the hero's.

I was not too convinced with the likenesses of the actors in this pic, so I decided to use their usual hair color, so they could be a little more recognizable.

• Upvote 3

Wow such beautiful art with the sprite, I will do some DQ VII art once I actually get to play the game. lol

I was not too convinced with the likenesses of the actors in this pic, so I decided to use their usual hair color, so they could be a little more recognizable.

I didn't see this at first and wondered why Keifer suddenly had blcak hair.

If they were recognizable from the lines, I could have used their original colors. Perhaps one day I may achieve this.

very nice pic

Dragon%2BQuest%2BVII%2B-%2BHero%2B%25280

Alus and the Oceano Sword.

The hero gets the Saint's Sword.

As always, beautiful and outstanding!  Full of rich soft yet vibrant colors!  I absolutely love this one!

Thanks, man. I wish Square Enix of America loved it enough to bring the game here...

Thanks, man. I wish Square Enix of America loved it enough to bring the game here...

If I was square enix I would definitely bring it here with such enthusiasm!  

They might be teasing you so that way they can see more of your beautiful art :)

That's awesome, Cesar!  Nice work as always.  Even though he has that menacing bad-ass sword, I am still nervous about his upcoming encounter with Hellcloud.  Hopefully he can pull it off.

Thank you. Although this being a regular hell cloud (and cloud baby), there is nothing to fear. If it were the yellow hell clouder, then that would be entirely different.

But the rainbow peacock is the highest rank of its family, so *that* one may be a more dangerous battle.

Gorgeous Cesar.  Just gorgeous work my friend.

One thing I have noticed, is that there is a shortage on Dragon Quest VII art.

Not many people do art for this game.  So I'm going to make my next piece a DQ VII work.