Sign in to follow this  
Cesar Hernandez-Meraz

Dragon Quest VII

Captured the one opening scene like a pro, yo. The nostalgia's really hitting me now.

Nicely done, sir.

Yes very cool, good work.

Thanks, guys.

Back then (before VIII), games had a lot of scenes like this one, we just had to read to get them. Then we could develop the images out of the descriptions (provided we had a reference for the characters).

It is something that was somewhat lost when a more cinematic style was used for the games. Now we re-create what we already watched on the screen, which is also cool, but I think there is something special in illustrating the scenes that were always there but few people had actually seen.

In this thread I will be posting my old VII pics, and may post new ones if I finish them soon.

Dragon%2BQuest%2BVII%2B-%2BHero%2B%28002

More Dragon Quest VII goods!

While the hero was not yet allowed to go on fishing trips with the adults, I bet he did train close to the shore. As the son of the best fisherman in the world, there were high expectation for him. Even if he looked kind of small and weak.

Edited by Cesar Hernandez-Meraz
  • Upvote 2

Kiefer_armlock_by_Cesar_Hernandez.jpg

Good friends, prince and fisher.

Kiefer and Alus playing around in the mysterious ruins.

• Upvote 2

Thanks. That place is the beach besides the mysterious ruins. Where the rainbow colored water is found. The statue of the Water Spirit is there (it can be seen from the ship later in the game).

Marvel%2BComics%2B-%2BRahne%2BSinclair%2

Find Gabo!

Gabo, the boy wolf, as a plush doll.

• Upvote 2

That had to be pretty hard the perspective on that desk and mirror. I see the plush there. Nice touch.

Yeah, it was. And I cheated so we could see more of her reflection, since the angle and position of the viewer would only allow very little of it to be seen.

This girl's codename is Wolfsbane. She is able to transform into a wolf, so there is a connection to Gabo.

Not that I need any excuse to add DQ cameos on my pics, LOL.

dibujas muy chingon mi Cesar, buenos trazos la verdad :thumbsup:

Gracias, hombre.

Quisiera tener más tiempo para mejorar, aunque tengo que estar mendingando ratitos libres para dedicarle un poquito a esto...

Dragon%2BQuest%2BVII%2B-%2BAira%2B%28001

Aira and Alus visiting a grave.

Another (old) Dragon Quest VII pic.

• Upvote 1

Are you going to post the one of Orgo Demila? To be honest. I drew him a while ago and wanted to use yours as a reference for his face.....didn't do to well...

I will. Although you might do better using a video of him on Monster Battle Road (that is what I will do for my next pic of him). In my pic, he is covering his face.

Yeah. I ended up using the sprite from DQ7. Everything BUT the face came out good. But I could never draw faces.

That's what I did. That is why I had to hide the face.

Care to share yours?

Dragon+Quest+VII+-+Water+Spirit+(002).jp

Alus and the Water Spirit.

At long last, a new Dragon Quest VII pic.

• Upvote 2

Hope it ain't too chilly out, yo.

Out of curiosity, were you using the water spirit's sprite as the reference for her, yo?

• Upvote 2

I used the sprite for this older picture of her:

Dragon%2BQuest%2BVII%2B-%2BWater%2BSpiri

Alus and the Water Spirit.

For the new one I used the recent official art. If you ask why I drew her topless, that is because I think they added the top now, and I think they did it because of the Western market (same for Kushalami).

I simply decided to go with the way I saw her originally.

Recent changes can be good. Pipin looks way better now than he did in his original design. But if they leave the same design and simply update the clothes to cover for religious references (Krift from DQ IV) or cover skin (Water Spirit and Genma Kushalami from DQ VII), well, I can live without those updates.

About the water temperature. I believe it was chilly, so I decided to protect the hero's pride by not showing a full body image, LOL.

• Upvote 2

Ah, I hadn't considered it could be a censor. Given how the sprites kinda scrunch some details down, I figured she might've always had the top and it was just hard to tell.

Dang it, this doesn't make things easier XP

At least older art of Kusha(l/r)ami had popped up, though I guess that wouldn't really matter since it was clear enough from her GBA sprite that she didn't have a leotard on under her dancing outfit. That still seems like a funny change, considering the one sister from IV :P

DQ IV was "Teen", wasn't it?

But since the monster games are "Everyone", I would think they'd rather play it safe.

In Itadaki Street, Manâ's size was so chibi it might not have been a possible problem.

E10+, according to my copy. She's right there on the cover, even XP