Sign in to follow this  
Mr. RPG

Dragon Quest VII is currently being "evaluated" for the wester

Square enix is probably deciding whether If they want to publish the game themselves or give the publishing rights to Nintendo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tn96MYCpenM

Do we really know that?

Honestly I just keep forcing myself to not get excited about this game because I have a feeling we're gonna get burned. I remember 2ish years ago when we all said "Square Enix will always release Final Fantasy!", but now they've reached a point where they didn't release a Final Fantasy when it was 90% completed. Yes, this is in reference to FF Type-0. Regardless of whether or not it was a PSP game at the wrong time, they decided not to release a Final Fantasy when it was virtually complete.

The other issue at hand here is this is a massive game, quite possibly the biggest of the series. Add to that party-chat, and you've got a gargantuan translation undertaking. According to something Aenea mentioned in a DQ7 thread on NeoGAF, DQ6 and J2 did not sell very well. Will Nintendo even be willing to take a stab at this?

Now, in our favor... this game looks closer to IX than the other remakes did. And IX was successful, so maybe that merit can help. I hope it does.

Well, that's generally how it works.

Square Enix seems to be pretty much Eidos under a different name now. There's also an article on Square Enix corporate culture that's pretty sad. Type-0 seems to have experienced some of the same problems DW IV PS faced - time it takes get it on shelves and no retailer support. In theory, they could port it to Vita, but again, dwindling retailer support. I'll give Square Enix the benefit of the doubt on that one, because it honestly seems like there wouldn't be enough sales on that platform to turn a profit.

Caught the same post, too. She's got sources too, but it's unclear if she was just reading numbers like the rest of us. VI and Joker 2 got a nice push. Honestly, I didn't expect Joker 2 to sell millions. Seemed to do well with the audience they focused on. I dunno, who'd thought we'd ever see a commercial for Fortune Street! It would be nice if the companies were a little more open. I've tried to get a hold of some people for some insight, but it's a case of while those people probably would answer if asked, there are people in the way that don't think they would. Does that make sense?

Well, that's generally how it works.

Square Enix seems to be pretty much Eidos under a different name now. There's also an article on Square Enix corporate culture that's pretty sad. Type-0 seems to have experienced some of the same problems DW IV PS faced - time it takes get it on shelves and no retailer support. In theory, they could port it to Vita, but again, dwindling retailer support. I'll give Square Enix the benefit of the doubt on that one, because it honestly seems like there wouldn't be enough sales on that platform to turn a profit.

Well that I sadly have to agree with. I said it elsewhere, Type-0 was the victim of being on the wrong platform at the wrong time. But there's still a part of me that thinks that just dropping it altogether is reflective of the new look of Square Enix outside Japan. Big HD AAA JRPGs (ie. FF13 spinoffs...) or Eidos games only.

My hope with this particular game is that as it is such an overhaul, that they may look at it as a better venture for them. But the passing of the previous two 3DS games does not bode well. I wasn't expecting Rocket Slime, but I though Terry's Wonderland hand a chance.

Well, there's still hope for Terry's Wonderland.

If we haven't any news in June 2013, I'll start to worry...

But seriously, unless your name is Pokemon, you can be sure to wait a lot of time.

And we're feeling lucky when the game is only translated in English...

FF Type-0's story really remember me of Earthbound 0's story (I'll say the 0 in the name is by pure chance...)

So for this one I'll wait until March 2014 before starting to complain...

EDIT : Wow, just looked at DQIX american and Japanese Dates.

So I won't loose hope before May-June 2014 ! Well, at least I'll try...

Edited by Holy Slime Knight

After I read Dwaine's Plus Alpha interview, I gained a better understanding of why they took the route that they did for their translations. I would also be all for them doing the translation of VII. I just hope they will keep the dark feel of the original, and not go too far with the puns. Even with my understanding, I still dislike some parts of DQ V remake. There were quite a few badly placed puns in it.

Dr Agon...

No, I will never forget it !

I'm actually quite found of the chess motif they put in DQV. Yeah it's not in the original but it's clever, it made Mildrath seem cooler (considering he is by far the WORST dq villian).

Just tone down the puns, I mean Dq already has it's own sense of humor, you can take advantage of that, make the dialog funny, just don't do so many puns... it's the worst kind of comedy...

DQVII is funny a LOT, but it's dark funny, not punny funny, so they should approach it in a apropriated way.

• Upvote 1

I guess I'm in the minority (or possibly the only one) who actually liked the silly accents inserted in the DS games. It gave the game a more worldly feel and when you ran into travelers in different towns you could tell that they were foreign because of their accent. Eh, but I guess as long as there are remakes and ports, there will be opposing viewpoints on which version is better.

I say the accents are acceptable, it's the puns that ruin everything. While an accent, however silly, has the potential to help draw you into the world as you described, a pun instantly reminds you that there's actually just a team of 6 guys sitting somewhere thinking their funny and screwing around with the world you were trying to suspend your disbelief and get drawn into.

• Upvote 1

I thought Eidos was acquired by SE, not the other way around?

You're right, but everything they've been promoting over the past couple years have been EidosEidosEidos. It's all grey and red shooter stuff aside from Quantum Conundrum. It's good that they're putting the spotlight on the developers, but they're still doing wasteful promotions. Wasn't there an article during E3 2011 about the Japanese suits being with the lack of material from their side? Well, if you're not really making anything...

But yeah, they seem to be on the decline. I just hope DQ doesn't become a casualty of that.

a pun instantly reminds you that there's actually just a team of 6 guys sitting somewhere thinking their funny and screwing around with the world you were trying to suspend your disbelief and get drawn into.

No, just two people and only one's a guy.

Edited by Dwaine

You're right, but everything they've been promoting over the past couple years have been EidosEidosEidos. It's all grey and red shooter stuff aside from Quantum Conundrum. It's good that they're putting the spotlight on the developers, but they're still doing wasteful promotions. Wasn't there an article during E3 2011 about the Japanese suits being with the lack of material from their side? Well, if you're not really making anything...

But yeah, they seem to be on the decline. I just hope DQ doesn't become a casualty of that.

Well, I may not be accurate, but DQ doesn't really belong to SE.. so I've heard. Still, as western fans we could suffer from a lack of Square-Enix. Japan will keep getting good DQ games as long Hori is alive and healthy.

According to something Aenea mentioned in a DQ7 thread on NeoGAF, DQ6 and J2 did not sell very well.

Maybe they didn't sell well because Nintendo/Square Enix deliberately limited their run in the U.S., knowing full well that the two games wouldn't be as popular as DQIX was?

Edited by Kabouter Slime

If that's the case, it was probably the right thing to do. That's what I would've done! They still got great campaigns, though. If Square Enix were still running the show they wouldn't have had one at all.

Well, I may not be accurate, but DQ doesn't really belong to SE.. so I've heard. Still, as western fans we could suffer from a lack of Square-Enix. Japan will keep getting good DQ games as long Hori is alive and healthy.

How does DQ not belong to SE?

Edited by nectarsis

How does DQ not brlong to SE?

Nintendo publishes DQ games in the states now.

Nintendo publishes DQ games in the states now.

Publishes =/= ownership. ;)

I know they don't own the music. Koichi Sugiyama does. Not sure about the rest of the intellectual property though.

I know they don't own the music. Koichi Sugiyama does. Not sure about the rest of the intellectual property though.

It's part Hori's, part Toriyama's, part Sugiyama's... it's split in between their companies. It's not like Star Wars belonged to Lucas Film and now it's all Disney. It's jsut that DQ doesn't belong to a single company or person.

As far as I know, we don't really know the terms. DQ might be Armor Project's/Hori's/Toriyama's/Sugiyama's IP, but there's also rights like the worldwide exclusive rights to something. SE can issue or sub-license as it is to have Nintendo publish, for example, in North America. SquareEnix seems to have financed the games so there's no telling what kind of stake they have in the property even though we see the copyright/IP information in the credits. They might have an exclusive licensing or development or publishing contract for 99 years or 10 games or a contract that gets renewed every few years. I don't know if Hori licenses the merchandise or SE does and then sends him (and the others) a royalty check or what. It's got to be complicated.

I do doubt Hori and compny could leave SE and take the DQ property to, say, Electronic Arts or Nintendo directly without a gigantic check being written to SE. I suspect no matter what the game programs themselves would remain the IP of Enix/Square Enix no matter what happens (like how a recording artist might own their songs and music, but not the actual recordings--even though they get royalties from the recordings themselves). That might be a stretch.

All speculation! Something that's fascinating but I have no way of figuring out.