Sign in to follow this  
Mr. RPG

Dragon Quest VII is currently being "evaluated" for the wester

As an aside, I'd like to say Orgodemir had possibly the best "I'm going to kill you" villain speech in the series.

Exactly. He was a REAL villian, even amongst DQ villians. (Contrast with another series' VII villian, Mama's Boy)

Edited by Erdrick The Hero

As an aside, I'd like to say Orgodemir had possibly the best "I'm going to kill you" villain speech in the series.

Exactly. He was a REAL villian, even amongst DQ villians. (Contrast with another series' VII villian, Mama's Boy)

Definitely! To me he is the most malicious and destructive DQ villain of the series.

He was able to destroy almost the whole world. What's more, he fooled everyone once again and came back to life to rule the world and cause chaos.

Edited by Kiefer

DQVII had a bunch of spelling/ grammar mistakes

Yup, unfortunately due to Heartbeat's handling of the text. Same thing that caused the fall of DW IV.

When I get some time to get back to work on the Shrine, I'm going to make the old Enix interview all one page 'n stuff. I'm wondering who handled the code, because technically Heartbeat's disbanding happened during DW VII's development. So I guess it was Arté Piazza (as it was spelled at the time) that inserted the text back in. They are credited.

He certainly had a creepy leitmotif

http://youtu.be/EM_MuYHzLr4

Now I am especially excited that the remake gets an orchestrated soundtrack!

Orgodemir's pride and arrogance, Psaro's hate for the humanity, Dark Dream's badassery.. yeah they're the real deal.

I asked last summer and didn't get an answer. However, the source's source is probably better than mine.

Great interview with Plus Alpha, Dwaine, BTW.

Some choices in the DS remakes and in IX I liked... some I didn't. Same thing with some monster and spell names in VIII. Some changes I really, really liked after a time.

Some things were brutal. But obviously they tried really hard.

VII was a bit more, uh, dark and dark humor than the others. I've also only played it through once so names will not be something I've been attached to. I couldn't name you one location in that game besides Fishbel, and even I thought that was silly. Looking something up just now - Zebbott.

But that Eri and Zebbott bit, where the skeleton is being fed soup for like hundreds of years... that's some classic cold Dragon Quest right there. It's funny in a twisted, twisted way. Yeah, we got teardrop slimes that smile and cats that attack by licking, but sometimes we also let you meet a family and then show you their dead coal miner father's skeleton... with the letter still in his boney-dead-hand.

"My sister says we can't visit father"..

I just hope they don't rename Zebbott Tom Edson or Henry F. Ord... or interrupt the brutal scenario with jokes like Papa's getting fried.

Anyway- why in this day and age does it take so long to localize a release they know for sure they want to release world wide? Why don't they have localization happening concurrently in the development process? How about getting the script just as the first draft is done and everyone working so you could release at the same time?

Thanks for the compliment! I really do appreciate it. Sorry if it seems I harp on it to much. It was just a joy to do, a great read, and currently my favorite portfolio piece.

Anyway- why in this day and age does it take so long to localize a release they know for sure they want to release world wide? Why don't they have localization happening concurrently in the development process? How about getting the script just as the first draft is done and everyone working so you could release at the same time?

Well, they did with VIII and IX. I tried giving the new SEI staff the benefit of the doubt, but they're still wasting money on ineffective promotions and releasing the same game with a different cover. If it's a Nintendo thing, it may be how they organize their releases. All of the holiday season titles were set six months in advance, etc.

It especially shouldn't take so long considering we already have a release here, in English. Don't rush it, but don't put it off either.

Didn't they put off 6 to do 9? Even though 6 was first in Japan? That ticked me off, especially considering how generic 9 was to get around multiplayer (which is why I'm worried about 10, too). 9 didn't even seem like DQ except for the slimes... Anyways that's a rant for another thread or something.

Please let this happen. I would absoutely love to have DQ7 on a handheld, even if that requires me to go buy a new handheld

Please let this happen. I would absoutely love to have DQ7 on a handheld, even if that requires me to go buy a new handheld

So you're in the same boat as me?

Edit: got threads confused.

It especially shouldn't take so long considering we already have a release here, in English. Don't rush it, but don't put it off either.

Didn't they put off 6 to do 9? Even though 6 was first in Japan? That ticked me off, especially considering how generic 9 was to get around multiplayer (which is why I'm worried about 10, too). 9 didn't even seem like DQ except for the slimes... Anyways that's a rant for another thread or something.

I think SE was not going to bother with DQ6. I believe 4 and 5 were published by SE while 6 was published by Nintendo. Honestly if it weren't for Nintendo taking over we probably never would have got 6 or 9. SE would rather put out another remake of FF 1&2 before localizing a DQ game.

• Upvote 1

True. These days Square Enix is a zombie and a front for Eidos. It would be nice if Nintendo would take over the whole thing and we never have to worry about them again.

Aaaaaah no Sony? The Playstation DQ's were the best! (Besides 4-6, but those remakes were based off of the original DQ7 engine, sooooo...)

Actually, I'd like to see DQ on the XBox. It may not SE's favorite system, but it sure is mine. If they put out a few more "serious" DQ games on the 360 with more "serious" localizations, I'm sure the US fan base would grow a lot more than on nintendo's systems. (LOL autocorrect un-capatalized Nintendo.) US gamers seem to be more attracted to the XBox 360 and PS3 than the Wii (idk about Wii U yet, we'll have to see), and the XBox seems to be the most stable system (I mean by marketing, but the console itself is great too) here. Anyways... I'm in the middle of a Black Ops II zombies match so I have to go.

Aaaaaah no Sony? The Playstation DQ's were the best! (Besides 4-6, but those remakes were based off of the original DQ7 engine, sooooo...)

I don't know if you noticed, but SE has made their choice, FF on PS3/360 and DQ on NIntendo. It's also sorta innacurate to say the remakes were based off DQVII's graphic engine. It was just the natural progression of being on a more powerful system. Not to mention the silly notion that it was the graphics engine that made those games great. By that logic you can say, "DQVII was based of DQ I - VI's engine, which were on Nintendo sooooooo....."

• Upvote 1

It would be nice if Nintendo would take over the whole thing and we never have to worry about them again.

If Iwata had his way he would do it in an instant, same with Monster Hunter. I find it more amusing when people complain about how it's not on a sony system for both DQ and MH yet most times Nintendo are giving a big hand out to push both games out in the west, if they ever went onto a sony system again who knows how thing would turn out.

I find it more amusing when people complain about how it's not on a sony system for both DQ and MH yet most times Nintendo are giving a big hand out to push both games out in the west

I believe the complaining is due to the translations they receive when going on to a Nintendo system. While it's true that Nintendo no longer requires companies to tone down language and content of their games as they did in the past, it seems that Dragon Quest still goes by the old guidelines on Nintendo systems while the two games released on Sony systems featured much more... well... "dirty" dialogue.

• Upvote 1

I find it more amusing when people complain about how it's not on a sony system for both DQ and MH yet most times Nintendo are giving a big hand out to push both games out in the west

I believe the complaining is due to the translations they receive when going on to a Nintendo system. While it's true that Nintendo no longer requires companies to tone down language and content of their games as they did in the past, it seems that Dragon Quest still goes by the old guidelines on Nintendo systems while the two games released on Sony systems featured much more... well... "dirty" dialogue.

That's entirely coincidence, honestly.

Mmmmm. Doubt it.

• Upvote 1

Sorry that wasn't quite what I meant... I was half asleep when I wrote that, so I was being kinda stupid lol.

Yes DQ6 did take awhile to get here and many people had started to wonder if it ever would. But it probably had to do with them wanting to release DQ9 first since that was a brand new, main series title.

I think removal of the random battles is a great decision. I've liked that system very much in DQ9 also. best part of the western style

• Upvote 1

Removing random battles from rpgs greatly reduces their difficulty. Don't want to fight tough battles in the final dungeon before the final boss? Now you don't have to. As tedious and unrealistic as random battles are, I prefer my classic rpgs that way.

• Upvote 2