Sign in to follow this  
Mr. RPG

Dragon Quest VII is currently being "evaluated" for the wester

There should be. Sherlock top tier. And he's going to make a great Bilbo, even if the films themselves are going to be stretched way too thin.

My concern is related to the fact we didn't get a single game after Joker 2. By the way, how well did the sales for VI and Joker 2 do?

Edited by Billy MK

I'm concerned about Slime Mori Mori 3 more than I am DQX, TW3D and this.

It gave the game a more worldly feel and when you ran into travelers in different towns you could tell that they were foreign because of their accent.

I could tell that "they were foreign" since I left my town.

Gonna agree. DWVII had a bit of a darker storyline then most of the other games in the series. It'd feel. . .wrong if there was puns every half second. The accents would be alright if done properly, like in VI. Not so much in IV though.

It'd also be a bit odd if they threw out "god" and replaced it with "Newman".

But... But I like the puns. :<

Also, it's "Numen," which is Latin and can be translated to "God," so really the name has the same effect as the original.

Oddly enough, there is an Alpha Plus Translations.

Wow all this time I thought it was Alpha Plus, not Plus Alpha. I'm such a noob sometimes.

I'm concerned about Slime Mori Mori 3 more than I am DQX, TW3D and this.

I'm pretty sure we're not getting either of those 3. The most likely would be Terry, but that would depend on how well Joker 2 did.

Regarding X, maybe they'll skip the Wii version and bring the Wii U version. Well, I could see myself getting a Wii U just for X. Maybe that's exactly what they're waiting, so the Wii U will have an big online game in the west. But I could still keep living without playing X... I can't say the same thing about VII though.

Edited by Billy MK

This game will be released in North America in 2014, and probably Europe too. This is a title from the main series, and they have been putting all the main series games in the U.S. now, as well as most of the spin-offs.

The question is whether or not this will be the 3rd DQ game released on the 3DS in the U.S. if they translate Slime Morimori 3 and Terry's Wonderland first.

The good thing about Dragon Quest VII having the longest script out of any of the Dragon Quest games (I am sure it is), is that I doubt any of the translator groups will take the time to put in those terrible puns, accents, etc.

Well, I actually didn't mind the accents.

I am getting too paranoid about the translation of this game.. I just want it to be as good as it was in the original game. It was great back then.

• Upvote 1

The accents were fine in 8, but the puns completely undermined much of the plot in 4, 5, 6 and 9. Another thing to consider is that there's already an english version out there, so name changes for the sake of making things sillier would be even more abhorrent

• Upvote 2

There was an english version of DQIV as well, but that didn't stop them from completely changing everyone and everything's name.

It seems like recently, Square Enix has been very stingy about localizing their games. We've heard nothing of the various recent Dragon Quest games, Bravely Default, Type-0 (though that seems to be a platform issue). It's like they want me to cry myself to sleep because I can't play these potentially amazing games.

• Upvote 1

Well, I will be optimistic and say that wé'll have it

....just, noot anytime soon...

Remember how many time we waited for DQVI ?

About the translation : The others games were fully translated in languages other than english (most specifically french, for me). And the translationdoesn't feel rushed. Whether you like the results or not, at least they put a lot of works in that.

Except for Pokemon, there's a lot of games that haven't the same amount of works.

And I think it must be one of the only (if not THE only) games that have a full translation inothers languages than English...

Personally, i think that they should just grab the PSX DWVII translation, which i bet they have lying around somewhere, change the name back to "Dragon Quest" and fix the more Engrish dialogue. Heck, i wouldn't care if they just copied and pasted the translation. It'd just lessen the chances of the game being riddled with puns and accents.

• Upvote 1

I hope the translation stays the same or very similar to the original one. However, I wonder if they'll keep this:

image079.jpg

• Upvote 2

Or the balcony in coastal...

It's going to be on a Nintendo system. Prepare for watered down text.

DW VII was a Teen title. We will have to see if they go for an all ages this time...

I guess I could swallow that better than the horrible puns and needless name changes.

Example, another (milder) insult would work there better than a totally ridiculous joke inserted just because they can.

Give me the puns, names, accents, foul language, clean language, serious tone, whatever. I just want the freaking game.

• Upvote 2

I don't remember that screenshot... Looks like missed something.

I could see it getting a teen rating (see dq6 DS) but they better not change the serious tone of the game. That's what made most of the game worth it, because so many games belittle what the hero does and make the villian seem like a fool. I'd still play the game if it were changed, but it wouldn't be as fun.

The poor quality of the new translations is horribly exaggerated. DQ4 for DS is obviously terrible, but the other two remakes are amazing, particularly DQ6. The characters have their own vocal tics and quirks that make them characters instead of talking heads. I tell you this first so yoi can know I'm incredibly biased when I say DW7 has a very poor translation. I feel parts of it want to very charming but they wouldn't let it be. This is so dull and lifeless, and more importantly, unrealistic. Why would a kid say the words 'impotent" or "aplomb"? There is another moment where a guy starts three separate and.consecutive sentences with the phrase "my brother".. And these are simply the most glaring errors I remember.

But yeah, people exaggerate how many puns are in the new translations. DQ6 knew how and when to be serious. I trust the new translation will be as respectful to the truly serious moments.

Edited by gigadrive08

I wouldn't go as far to say it's by any means poor. Like I said last page, they did the best with the challenges and resources at their disposal. Translation and localization is also different these days. Unlike the DS games, VIII wasn't designed to have English character inserted. It has an English font, but I believe it was part of the package with Hiragana, Katakana, and Kanji. So when the window has a strict character limit, it can be tough to fit it all in. They probably had a block of text and given how the script is formatted, it can be quite tough to go back and see which party chat is referencing what.

I found VI spotty. Good in some places, but in others it seemed they were trying to be Honeywood and Plus Alpha, but it didn't work. They had some go-to phrases in party chat as well. There were also some dull and lifeless spots and it call came down to vocabulary usage. I actually sped through a couple times because it was pretty dry. I'd rather them not continue.

Edited by Dwaine

DQVII had a bunch of spelling/ grammar mistakes, but the feel of the game was a lot better than the new ones. The new ones look more professional, but the puns and such are glaringly distracting from the game. The translation company should meet somewhere in the middle; clean up the mistakes and maybe add a little humor, but keep the puns to a minimum. The funny parts of 7 mostly were not puns, but situations. These should be focused on more than cheap puns, which tend to get old. (Especially after the first play through.) now, I won't complain about name changes of minor locations, or things such as "God" being "Numen" so long as they don't change the feeling of the game. Also, main characters' names better stay the same, seeing as the game was already released here, and we've gotten accustomed to them.

Welcome to the forums, giga. It is not the quality, for I have seen the lengths the team goes to to make sure everything works just the way it is expected to. But yes, the puns are one too many (VI was not done by Plus Alpha, they were busy working on IX).

I think it is funner if a "kid" uses the word "impotent" (and I am sure a double entendre could be found there).

I do not see it as "unrealistic" as you do. Even if my language is Spanish, I know some kids use words that not all kids even know. Also, the "kid" sprite I think can be used to represent boys that are even the age of the hero, so we cannot judge they are all 5 years old just because they look short.

Even if we concede it is unrealistic, I find it way better than having King Eric and Queen Sofia talking in "oooooooooooI am a ghoooooooost" speak, which is totally out of place, IMO.

Again, I enjoy the puns in enemy names and locations; I like that they tried something different, as opposed to just throwing in a bunch of generic enemy names like "elder dragon" or "dire wolf" or "Satan" (Golem, Slime, and Green Dragon not withstanding).

That said, I do not care for accents in text. It's alright occasionally, but when it's everywhere in the game, it's very, very distracting. In fact, the accent thing is one of the reasons I hate Bianca. I also don't really care for cursing just for the sake of cursing, which I feel DWVII was sometimes guilty of.

I wouldn't worry about the script being toned down too much, though; in DQIX, Orgodemir says a sizeable portion of his original speech from DWVII with no actual changes beyond replacing the period of the first sentence with an ellipses, and changing "man" to "mortalkind". Spoilers ahoy:

DRAGON WARRIOR VII (last disc, before battle)

Orgodemir: No being can hope to usurp my power over the demon world.

I am the beginning and the end. Do you understand, humans?

The fallen God you once worshipped has been forever eclipsed in darkness.

If you wish to live, you have no choice but to worship me.

I am Orgodemir, king of all beings and ruler of the heavens.

It makes no difference how many times you challenge me.

You shall spend eternity being cast to the ground, your mortal frames broken and defiled of all virtue.

I shall carve my name on your bodies as a grim reminder of the ephemeral insignificance of man.

DRAGON QUEST IX (Grotto boss, before battle)

Orgodemir: No being can hope to usurp my power over the demon world...

If you wish to live, you have no choice but to worship me.

I am Orgodemir, king of all beings and ruler of the heavens.

I shall carve my name on your bodies as a grim reminder of the ephemeral insignificance of mortalkind.

As an aside, I'd like to say Orgodemir had possibly the best "I'm going to kill you" villain speech in the series.

Edited by Shinryu