Sign in to follow this  
Mr. RPG

Dragon Quest VII is currently being "evaluated" for the wester

http://www.joystiq.c...ary-7-in-japan/

A Square Enix representative has told Joystiq that Dragon Quest VII is currently being "evaluated" for the western market. "We're currently evaluating the title for the Western markets, but nothing has been determined. Please stay tuned for more information.

Doesn't sound like good news to me. If they have to evaluate whether it will sell then there's no point.

Edited by Mr. RPG

Oh cmon! DW7 is out of print out here. We need this to come out. >_<

Edited by Tesla

I'm taking this as more good than bad. I'm fairly certain most foreign games(especially games like DQ) have to go through some sort of 'evaluation', and at the very least we know it's being considered for a Western release.

As long as it's being 'evaluated' there's still a chance :D I'm always the optimist, so I look forward to seeing it over here!

I just dropped this news on the facebook page. Anyone think we should demand less evaluating and more action?

Heh, even if it is shut down we could always get a kickstarter going to show how much support/money is in releasing DQVII for the 3DS over here.

I'd personally pay for the entire project if I could afford it... Right now though, I can't even buy myself a 3DS to play it on... I know what I'm asking for for my birthday though!

BTW in case the horrible, unspeakable happens, does anyone know if the 3DS is region locked?

Yes, the 3DS is region locked.

Great news that it is being looked at!

I'm cautiously optimistic, the fact that they have so far released all the remakes (1-6) from the main series on Nintendo's portable systems is a good sign. But I don't want to be burned like with what happened with Terry's Wonderland. If nothing else, this will likely be the game I end up importing a 3DS for unless someone releases some homebrew apps.

Can we bombard the Square Enix facebook page or other pages?

It's a bit odd that they're openly talking about this, aren't they usually quite quiet about western plans for DQ?

Still, I doubt that we'll miss this. 3DS needs some good RPGs in it's lineup, and this is kind of a no brainer.

• Upvote 1

And given Nintendo published IX, VI and DQMJ2 here and would likely publish VII 3DS here, not sure what SE is "evaluating".

Square enix is probably deciding whether If they want to publish the game themselves or give the publishing rights to Nintendo.

Square enix is probably deciding whether If they want to publish the game themselves or give the publishing rights to Nintendo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tn96MYCpenM

The other day the head of 8-4 was telling people to ask Square Enix to hire them. I'd rather lobby for Plus Alpha. Honstely, VII's length and party chat calls for the talent an organization like Plus Alpha or Treehouse can provide. He was also bashing the original localization. If you know your history, VII's localization was difficult due to release window, budget, length, character limit, and Japanese staff inserting the text back in. So it's not like it was slapped together to make a quick buck. It's not perfect, but it was the best they could do with their resources.

Edited by Dwaine

If Alpha Plus does the localization then I hope it's closer to VIII's localization than the DS games. Filling the game full of unnecessary puns and accents is going to put me into rage mode.

• Upvote 1

I guess I'm in the minority (or possibly the only one) who actually liked the silly accents inserted in the DS games. It gave the game a more worldly feel and when you ran into travelers in different towns you could tell that they were foreign because of their accent. Eh, but I guess as long as there are remakes and ports, there will be opposing viewpoints on which version is better.

I guess I'm in the minority (or possibly the only one) who actually liked the silly accents inserted in the DS games. It gave the game a more worldly feel and when you ran into travelers in different towns you could tell that they were foreign because of their accent. Eh, but I guess as long as there are remakes and ports, there will be opposing viewpoints on which version is better.

You're not, I enjoyed them too.

Especially in IV with how each chapter/region had it's own.

And not like the titles after IV have had the severity of that one regarding accents, I'd consider DQVI to be quite excellent in that regard.

But hey, different strokes for different folks, I can see why people may not like them.

Edited by Tiael

All I know is if it does make it over here I'm pre-ordering it the first day pre-orders are being taken for it. If I hadn't already moved up to a 3DS a couple months ago I would have done it for this.

If Alpha Plus does the localization then I hope it's closer to VIII's localization than the DS games. Filling the game full of unnecessary puns and accents is going to put me into rage mode.

Gonna agree. DWVII had a bit of a darker storyline then most of the other games in the series. It'd feel. . .wrong if there was puns every half second. The accents would be alright if done properly, like in VI. Not so much in IV though.

It'd also be a bit odd if they threw out "god" and replaced it with "Newman".

• Upvote 1

Oddly enough, there is an Alpha Plus Translations.

shaunyvonne-thumb-450x379-29061.png

(Is there some sort of law in the UK that requires Martin Freeman to be in everything?)

Edited by Dwaine
  • Upvote 1