Sign in to follow this  
Billy MK

DQVII remake for 3DS

But they also do great characterization. Characters like Gabo and Melvin could greatly benefit from their take.

Again, man, I think Gabo and Melvin are perfect the way they are. I really think their characterization would turn them into something else... Funny? Perhaps, but they would no longer be Melvin and Gabo (I suppose that is why they also change the names, so they literally are no longer Melvin and Gabo).

Change Gabo's name? They do that and heads are gonna role!

Gabo could have the dog boy angle played up more and Melvin could totally sound like an Olde English gentleman. That'd be tons 'o fun.

Melvin could totally sound like an Olde English gentleman. That'd be tons 'o fun.

I'd be perfectly and totally fine with that.

Gabo could be slightly more dog. But I fear they would go for the extreme.

Reading a lot of that is painful. I love the idea, but I highly doubt the original Japanese was that formal and clunky. "Subservient wench"? "Unfulfilling hedonistic excess?" Kids say words like "impotent" and "aplomb" in this translation, too. I know Plus Alpha can go a little extreme, but what they do is preferred to the stiffness of this game's original translation. They can reach some compromise, I'm sure. Dragon Quest VI had plenty of well-written and serious moments. So did DQV.

Dragon Quest VI had plenty of well-written and serious moments.

VI was translated by 8-4. Personally, I don't think they did a bad job, but I don't think they did a good job either.

So did DQV.

Ugh. Poor DQV. At least it was less butchered than IV.

• Upvote 1

Reading a lot of that is painful. I love the idea, but I highly doubt the original Japanese was that formal and clunky. "Subservient wench"? "Unfulfilling hedonistic excess?"

We'd have to ask Mimas about this. I would not be surprised with Japanese kids having a better use of words than us, especially when talking to older people or trying to look smarter.

Kids say words like "impotent" and "aplomb" in this translation, too.

Yeah, they keep saying that; thanks for reminding us since last time. Having Asperger Syndrome and also loving The Big Bang Theory, I see absolutely no problem with kids saying those words.