Sign in to follow this  
Billy MK

DQVII remake for 3DS

Now THIS is exciting news. Ahh, it's times like this that make me thankful I'm functionally fluent in Japanese and live in Japan.

I agree on the DWVII translation. That was the high-water mark of DQ translations being true to the original Japanese. That also means that playing this game in Japanese won't be much of a transition for me.

The new character is the "Lithograph Guide," obviously connected to this new lithograph thing. The new art looks great, I love the hero's shepherd outfit. If somebody can get a better scan of this, I'll try translating some more of the stuff it says on there.

Edited by Instant Radical

Did a quick doodle to celebrate.

dumbarus.jpg

ETA: Here's a web site of nothing. It does say Artepiazza is doing this one, so yea, awesome animation.

Edited by Dwaine

I am still worried however about the translation.

One of the reasons VII was so great because of its direct translation from its Japanese game. Enix of America did little revising, which made it so unique in that you get the original script as it was.

I agree with this completely. I'm terrified thinking of the changes that they'll try to make to the script... however, if Maribel and Kiefer's script as guests in DQIX is any indication, perhaps it won't be toooo bad.

If all else fails... I'll always have the PS1 version anyways.

Edited by GrandAlchemist

. . . Well, looks like i'm going to be getting a 3DSXL afterall.

I just hope that they don't make it punny or throw in a bunch of stupid jokes into the mix.

I didn't even think about this until now, but I'm sure they'll fix the horrible CGI cutscenes that were in the PS original.

It looks like the game's probably using the Terry 3DS engine. Fine by me, that game looked awesome. I really wish character's appearances would change with different equipment/classes like in DQIX.

Yay, it'sy birthday present!

The "litographs" are indeed the map shards by the way. I wonder how that will work out. I kind of expect the new character to handle the shard puzzles. The street pass is perfect for the immigrant town though, so I wonder if they will allow for that or not.

The "litographs" are indeed the map shards by the way. I wonder how that will work out. I kind of expect the new character to handle the shard puzzles. The street pass is perfect for the immigrant town though, so I wonder if they will allow for that or not.

Perhaps instead of an immigrant town they'll let you create your own continet, maybe that's how the litographs trading works. Well it would be awesome, creating your custom continent with towns made by your friends... although I wouldn't have anyone to trade parts with D:

Edited by Billy MK

Getting a 3DS XL next Feburary now. Holy shitballs.

*has 3DS, but for DQ7 will have big screen*

Ooooooooh good idea. Though I must first wait until an western release anouncement. Dammit, I got so excited about this. I was planning on starting a new game durring my vacations, I will certainly now. I'm getting an extra DQIX as well, my end of year will be all about DQ.

Hm already have a 3DS XL (blue) bought it for the new Paper Mario that is comming out and something to do while waiting in line for Wii U... but I have been playing Dragon Quest IV and IX on it...

Those of you with Terry3DS should check the daily free monster gift feature. They added a new monster in the rotation lineup to celebrate DQ7's upcoming 3DS release =)

Rank F Zombie family member... In-game book shows no location and no breeding methods, so looks like you can't get this one except via WiFi...

My heart stopped when I saw this post on FB.

FINALLY! And yeah, I'd be buying a 3DS just for this too :D

Oh yeah, I just remembered. I totally called this game months in advance, in this thread:

I'd love to see an enhanced remake of Dragon Quest VII using the Terry 3DS engine.

Sometimes wishes do come true.

Perhaps instead of an immigrant town they'll let you create your own continet, maybe that's how the litographs trading works. Well it would be awesome, creating your custom continent with towns made by your friends... although I wouldn't have anyone to trade parts with D:

Maybe the lithographs will unlock new bonus dungeons or something. But a streetpass continent feature would be neat.

Maybe the lithographs will unlock new bonus dungeons or something. But a streetpass continent feature would be neat.

I would love to see that kind of creativity in Dragon Quest VII.unfortunately,Nintendo would never have such a thing THAT good...

I hope that bonus content doesn't have anything to do with the amount of street passes/tags you get in the game. I'd hate it if I played through VII and was stuck at a standstill trying to get into a bonus dungeon unable to continue simply because I don't know that many people with a 3DS.

I hope that bonus content doesn't have anything to do with the amount of street passes/tags you get in the game. I'd hate it if I played through VII and was stuck at a standstill trying to get into a bonus dungeon unable to continue simply because I don't know that many people with a 3DS.

That sure would suck. I myself only have 1 other 3DS person I can tag and he won't be getting this game.

If you need streetpass for anything in this game it's going to be an issue for most people outside of Japan.

I hope the keep the translation and the party chat/banter very close to what it is. The party members ARE characters.

Maribel - Dave (Hero), it's amazing that you always create your opinions independent of reason. She's not even all that attractive.

Maribel - I understand helping small children, furry animals, and even the elderly, but it's so infuriating when you out of your way to lend a hand to young ladies, Dave.

Gabo - Tell me, Dave. What's Puff Puff?

Maribel - My clothes are drenched. This is all Dave's fault. All of it.

Kiefer - Shut up Maribel. Know your place fisherman's daughter. You're like a little kid.

Maribel - Oh shut up you halfwit. I'm not one of your subservient wenches.

I hope the keep the translation and the party chat/banter very close to what it is. The party members ARE characters.

Maribel - Dave (Hero), it's amazing that you always create your opinions independent of reason. She's not even all that attractive.

Maribel - I understand helping small children, furry animals, and even the elderly, but it's so infuriating when you out of your way to lend a hand to young ladies, Dave.

Gabo - Tell me, Dave. What's Puff Puff?

Maribel - My clothes are drenched. This is all Dave's fault. All of it.

Kiefer - Shut up Maribel. Know your place fisherman's daughter. You're like a little kid.

Maribel - Oh shut up you halfwit. I'm not one of your subservient wenches.

Those quotes are part of the reason I love me some Maribel.

Yeah its not like DQ9 where the party members were random people just like DW3. I did like DQ9 regardless, but I missed having the actual characters who had some background that we got from DQ4 till DQ8.

DQ7 has some good party chat in that whole Mentare/Verdham areas.

Kiefer - That serving wench really did love Iwan.

Maribel - You just figured it out? What an idiot. I knew about it from the start.

Gabo - Don't ask me. Women confuse me.

Gabo - Grrrrrr. Talk about putting poison in food is never funny.

After rain was that "Dave's Fault" quote.

Maribel - You and the prince need to give Pepe a good talking to.

Kiefer - Do it yourself.

After Pepe leaves town

Gabo - What is Pepe acting so doggish? He could have least said goodbye.

-------Deja-------

Kiefer – Think about it. This place is crawling with nothing but women. Wouldn’t you want to live in a place like this? (Yes) Eh Heh Heh. Isn’t that the truth. If we lived here, I bet we’d be real popular.

Maribel – Hold it right there Kiefer, Don’t you lead Dave down the path of unfulfilling hedonistic excess.

Cow Mooooo

Gabo -Moooo. What do you think, Dave. I sounded just like a cow, didn’t I?

(not party chat but at Deja Camp)

Kiefer – Might as well join the fun. Why don’t you try talking to a girl for a change. Maybe you can shed that FairyRat image of yours. Ha Ha Ha!.

Maribel – I swear that mind of his is filled with nothing but girls. He didn’t take his eyes of Layla for a second back there. Sigh. Am I not pretty enough for you guys or something. I need a stiff drink.

Gabo – Huh? Drink? Hey, let me go with you.

Gabo – Damn, what’s in this jar? This stuff will put hair on your paws.

---

After talking to "genius" Balroch

Gabo - So Balrock is the male version of Maribel?

Maribel - Gabo! I heard that you nasty boy! How in the world could a pretty girl like me become anything like a feeble disgusting old man like that?

Gabo - Yikes, you heard me? I didn't mean it!

------

One of the Halflings remarked about how our party couldn't really be humans.

Gabo - Huh? How they'd know I was a wolf?

---

After talking to the princess at one point....

Maribel - "Dave, you're face is all red. What the hell were you doing in there, you jerk?"

King Coastal (present) - If there are any unchaste women with you, take me to them, will you? Peace sure is peaceful!

Gabo - That's the way King Coastal should be!

This has always been my answer to all the non believers who say this game has no character development or that it has no story.

You cannot get any more character development than this game's party chat. Easily visible with Kiefer and Maribel. At the start they "tolerate" each other, but by the end they openly tell each other to STFU. Maribel also grows up a lot after some events.

I cannot agree about Plus Alpha being right for this. The script is fun, yes, but they would substitute all the fun in it with their own idea of what is fun, which would leave nothing of the original spirit behind. The script from the old days was perfect. It was never a problem for me that it was "too literal from Japanese", either (it could be that in Mexico we are exposed to Japanese series from a small age; and I mean Japanese series that remain Japanese).

I cannot agree about Plus Alpha being right for this. The script is fun, yes, but they would substitute all the fun in it with their own idea of what is fun, which would leave nothing of the original spirit behind. The script from the old days was perfect.

Plus Alpha's idea of fun is littering the script with puns and obscure plays on words. Even if they ill fit. For reasons I fail to understand. :-/