Sign in to follow this  
rmcin329

DQM caravan heart

Hmmm. Interesting thought. How well does it emulate on iOS? I use my phone for Tapatalk, but do all my gaming on my iPad.

I think Erdrick the Hero could probably answer that.  I am not too familiar with iOS emulators.  Emulates great on even crappy Android phones using Gameboid, so I assume iOS should handle it just fine.

8f18587b1efca730c0023354d20f8ee4.jpg

Now this is as far as I've gone as I just found the rom on my portable hard drive at work this morning. Don't know if it's the best app or not, but I'll give it a go!

Awesome! Hope it works smoothly for you.  Enjoy!

An hour or two in and it's fine.  Oh, memories of March of 2008! 

A pretty memorable year overall as my wife ended our marriage, but that was way for the better.

Hey, Platty. How's it going? Will you be doing all the bonus stuff too? After the first ending? I'm interested in the

Dragonlord fight in Charlock Castle. In the Japanese 25th Anniversary Monster Encyclopedia, it shows a screenshot of two green dragons fighting alongside the Dragonlord, however they're labeled as the Red and Blue Dragons from DQ1. King Zenith said he didn't notice the dragons when he fought the Dragonlord, but I was wondering if it's a case where the Dragonlord "Calls for Help" that triggers their appearance. Anyway, could you let me know what happens when you reach that point; or anyone else, for that matter, who may have clicked on the little spoiler button and read this. Thanks so much! :D

Hey, Platty. How's it going? Will you be doing all the bonus stuff too? After the first ending? I'm interested in the

Dragonlord fight in Charlock Castle. In the Japanese 25th Anniversary Monster Encyclopedia, it shows a screenshot of two green dragons fighting alongside the Dragonlord, however they're labeled as the Red and Blue Dragons from DQ1. King Zenith said he didn't notice the dragons when he fought the Dragonlord, but I was wondering if it's a case where the Dragonlord "Calls for Help" that triggers their appearance. Anyway, could you let me know what happens when you reach that point; or anyone else, for that matter, who may have clicked on the little spoiler button and read this. Thanks so much! :D

Sure, I'll post and keep you informed if that happens. I'd like to keep going for a while. This game fascinated me back in '08, and I'm quickly getting hooked again. I should stop and finish the Band of Monsters I was close to beating, but this is keeping me from doing son.

After seeing this topic earlier I decided to start a new game of Caravan Heart too.  It's been awhile since I last played it so I want to make sure I understand the mechanics correctly.  I think that monsters that are fused learn the moves of the hearts used in the synthesis, right?  The reason I ask is that I have two monsters that should learn heal and neither of them have learned it by level 9.  If anyone knows what level they should learn it or if I did something wrong I would appreciate it.

It's a level thing, yes. I don't know if it's also a stat thing. I know in DQM and DQM2, you had to have certain stats to get the skills/spells.

Yeah, I'm fairly sure I have the stats.  One of them is a unicorn which has only 63 MP but the other one has over 100 of both MP and INT.  I just thought it was kind of weird that it wasn't learning heal earlier when in the original games they learned it at level 2.

The best part of this game is if your heal gets to healmore, when you breed it, it will know healmore at level 1.

Well I learned heal at level 10 on both of them so I guess that's the requirement.  It's also kind of nice to have the same monsters throughout the whole game, mostly.  I don't have to worry about getting heal back every time I breed/fuse and they probably won't leave my team.  I should make sure the one that used the healer heart gets healus though.

I can't wait to get back to this game. Been taking a break to do DQII.

Ok, I have a slightly bigger problem.  I beat the game and it tells me to save.  I do and when I go to the title screen it only has new game option.  I can see a .sav file in the folder with the game but apparently my emulator isn't detecting it or something.  Anyone got any suggestions?

Hmmm... Just now saw this thread. Yeah, GBA4iOS is the best GBA emulator... for... iOS... uh, yeah. Unfortunately since I've forced myself to delete all the ROMs I used to have, but I'm looking into getting a copy of Caravan Heart now. (Both the original CiB and a bootleg/patched copy, as I have no way of ripping the ROM from the cart. I'm not comfortable buying a bootleg without purchasing the original, but I'd rather buy a bootleg afterwards than just download the ROM because of our backwards-ass copyright laws.)

So, anyone have a good source for info about how to proceed in post game? I've been searching my own notes and stuff from years ago and have/see nothing on that yet.

Well I learned heal at level 10 on both of them so I guess that's the requirement. It's also kind of nice to have the same monsters throughout the whole game, mostly. I don't have to worry about getting heal back every time I breed/fuse and they probably won't leave my team. I should make sure the one that used the healer heart gets healus though.

Yeah, I need to get on Healus. Everyone has healall now (level 19 I think). Need better healing as I move into the post-game.

What exactly do you need to know about post-game progress?  Are you stuck, not knowing where to go next?  Or are you more looking for guidance on a good strategy?  As far as resources go, I am not aware of any good ones that discuss the post-game.  You have to figure it out yourself unfortunately, or you could ask here! 

Talked to the head boss dude after making my way back to his castle at the start of the post game. He says, 'get orbs.'

Stupid me booted my seer because I had so many shitty Caravan people I was forced to keep to the end of the story. Wondering how I get the return spell and where I go now. Just start collecting orbs. Reading all my old threads, I swear I have no recollection of this stuff. Man, I'm getting old.

Ha ha.  That's too bad about the seer!  Hopefully you find a new one soon.  At this point of the game, three of the most useful people you can have are a True Seer, True Mapper and a True Sage.  Combining a Seer and a Mapper makes the orb hunt much more palatable. For Sages, I'll take a True Sage at any weight, because Return is the most useful skill to have. Once you have it, you can farm the towns for new characters much more rapidly.

Note that you can combine two or three lower level sages for the same effect, if you are having a hard time finding a "true" sage.  A lower level sage by itself will get a crappier version of Return, that doesn't allow you to zoom directly to any town of your choosing.  You really do need the full Return spell to make the post-game grind more efficient.  Until you get it, you are doing a hell of a lot of walking.  You can get the "Wings" of Kakalon, Barbaru, Domedy, and Kushalami to warp you around a bit though.  To get these, I think you just have to revisit the place where you find them (i.e. Moonbrooke, Hargon's Castle etc...). 

I am not sure if you saw my comments in earlier in this thread, but here is a tip on the fastest way to spawn new human party members:

As you may know, you find color orbs in monster lair dungeons located around the world map. You can combine those color orbs to open a color orb dungeon at the Shrine in Slimeland. Typically, people use four orbs to unlock a full color orb dungeon. However, if you are lower leveled and are not yet interested in facing the orb dungeon bosses, you can use single color orbs on any pedestal and go to a shorter orb dungeon that way. Every time you do this, new characters will respawn in the towns around the world.

TIP: It's quicker to refresh the orbs and caravan members on the world map by using a SINGLE color orb on the pedestals
TIP: give the pond fairy a world leaf for a random color orb

Some other stuff to do:

- Get more guard monsters. 

i)  You can buy the stone dude if you haven't already (forgot which town he is in, but I can look it up if you don't know what I am talking about)

ii)  You can reunite Machua and Smith at the Lighthouse, Smith will then join you

iii) The dungeon on Slimeland has a new monster (Weber) at the bottom of it

- Bring the different required slimes to the slime loving old man at Slimeland. 

- Get the Wings from Kakalon, Barbaru etc.. as described above.

As general guidance on what happens now: you get color orbs and then take them to slimeland.  Combining four color orbs will take you to a spirit dungeon and if you complete that dungeon and beat the spirit there, you can get the spirit orb.  For example, the Wind Spirit will give you the Wind Orb.  Get Earth, Wind, Water, and Fire Orbs so you can combine them.  Note that you can also combine color orbs to take you to the dungeon of the Light Spirit and the Dark Spirit, but those orbs won't help you get Kakalon and company back.  Anyway, when you combine the Earth, Wind, Water and Fire orbs, you can "cross a path beyond time and space to Gisvarg".  Do this by taking all four orbs to the shrine in Slimeland and speaking with the priest there. 

Once you find and free Kakalon and the gang, they will return to their homes.  Go revisit them, and they will give you the orbs of Loto again.  Take the Orbs of Loto to the shrine near Hargon's Castle and they will open a gateway to Gisvarg's hideout.  Go in there and make him pay for his crimes.

Ok, that's all for now.  Hopefully that is enough to get you on your way!

Ha ha. That's too bad about the seer! Hopefully you find a new one soon. At this point of the game, three of the most useful people you can have are a True Seer, True Mapper and a True Sage. Combining a Seer and a Mapper makes the orb hunt much more palatable. For Sages, I'll take a True Sage at any weight, because Return is the most useful skill to have. Once you have it, you can farm the towns for new characters much more rapidly.

Note that you can combine two or three lower level sages for the same effect, if you are having a hard time finding a "true" sage. A lower level sage by itself will get a crappier version of Return, that doesn't allow you to zoom directly to any town of your choosing. You really do need the full Return spell to make the post-game grind more efficient. Until you get it, you are doing a hell of a lot of walking. You can get the "Wings" of Kakalon, Barbaru, Domedy, and Kushalami to warp you around a bit though. To get these, I think you just have to revisit the place where you find them (i.e. Moonbrooke, Hargon's Castle etc...).

I am not sure if you saw my comments in earlier in this thread, but here is a tip on the fastest way to spawn new human party members:

As you may know, you find color orbs in monster lair dungeons located around the world map. You can combine those color orbs to open a color orb dungeon at the Shrine in Slimeland. Typically, people use four orbs to unlock a full color orb dungeon. However, if you are lower leveled and are not yet interested in facing the orb dungeon bosses, you can use single color orbs on any pedestal and go to a shorter orb dungeon that way. Every time you do this, new characters will respawn in the towns around the world.

TIP: It's quicker to refresh the orbs and caravan members on the world map by using a SINGLE color orb on the pedestals

Some other stuff to do:

i) You can buy the stone dude if you haven't already (forgot which town he is in, but I can look it up if you don't know what I am talking about)

ii) You can reunite Machua and Smith at the Lighthouse, Smith will then join you

As general guidance on what happens now: you get color orbs and then take them to slimeland. Combining four color orbs will take you to a spirit dungeon and if you complete that dungeon and beat the spirit there, you can get the spirit orb. For example, the Wind Spirit will give you the Wind Orb. Get Earth, Wind, Water, and Fire Orbs so you can combine them. Note that you can also combine color orbs to take you to the dungeon of the Light Spirit and the Dark Spirit, but those orbs won't help you get Kakalon and company back. Anyway, when you combine the Earth, Wind, Water and Fire orbs, you can "cross a path beyond time and space to Gisvarg". Do this by taking all four orbs to the shrine in Slimeland and speaking with the priest there.

Once you find and free Kakalon and the gang, they will return to their homes. Go revisit them, and they will give you the orbs of Loto again. Take the Orbs of Loto to the shrine near Hargon's Castle and they will open a gateway to Gisvarg's hideout. Go in there and make him pay for his crimes.

Ok, that's all for now. Hopefully that is enough to get you on your way!

Comprehensive and it rings some bells in this old head of mine. Going away for work for 3 days. No wife & kid from 4pm on = lots of time to play.

Ha ha. That's too bad about the seer! Hopefully you find a new one soon. At this point of the game, three of the most useful people you can have are a True Seer, True Mapper and a True Sage. Combining a Seer and a Mapper makes the orb hunt much more palatable. For Sages, I'll take a True Sage at any weight, because Return is the most useful skill to have. Once you have it, you can farm the towns for new characters much more rapidly.

Note that you can combine two or three lower level sages for the same effect, if you are having a hard time finding a "true" sage. A lower level sage by itself will get a crappier version of Return, that doesn't allow you to zoom directly to any town of your choosing. You really do need the full Return spell to make the post-game grind more efficient. Until you get it, you are doing a hell of a lot of walking. You can get the "Wings" of Kakalon, Barbaru, Domedy, and Kushalami to warp you around a bit though. To get these, I think you just have to revisit the place where you find them (i.e. Moonbrooke, Hargon's Castle etc...).

Some other stuff to do:

i) You can buy the stone dude if you haven't already (forgot which town he is in, but I can look it up if you don't know what I am talking about)

ii) You can reunite Machua and Smith at the Lighthouse, Smith will then join you

As general guidance on what happens now: you get color orbs and then take them to slimeland. Combining four color orbs will take you to a spirit dungeon and if you complete that dungeon and beat the spirit there, you can get the spirit orb. For example, the Wind Spirit will give you the Wind Orb. Get Earth, Wind, Water, and Fire Orbs so you can combine them. Note that you can also combine color orbs to take you to the dungeon of the Light Spirit and the Dark Spirit, but those orbs won't help you get Kakalon and company back. Anyway, when you combine the Earth, Wind, Water and Fire orbs, you can "cross a path beyond time and space to Gisvarg". Do this by taking all four orbs to the shrine in Slimeland and speaking with the priest there.

Once you find and free Kakalon and the gang, they will return to their homes. Go revisit them, and they will give you the orbs of Loto again. Take the Orbs of Loto to the shrine near Hargon's Castle and they will open a gateway to Gisvarg's hideout. Go in there and make him pay for his crimes.

Comprehensive and it rings some bells in this old head of mine. Going away for work for 3 days. No wife & kid from 4pm on = lots of time to play.

Maybe I'll make some sort of post game guide.

Some other stuff to do:

Maybe I'll make some sort of post game guide.

Just figured i'd post an update since i'm playing this game a bit again.  I did another color dungeon and went around looking for more caravan members.  The most notable ones found were a veteran knight, true mapper, and high cleric.  The true mapper somehow turned out to be weight 1 which is perfect, since thats all i can really spare for a mapper on a wagon right now.  I kicked out my normal mapper in an instant for that true mapper.  I need to find a better low weight seer somewhere as well.  Now I just need to kick out my last normal cleric somehow......I've also spent some time turboing battles to get my slime up to level 35.  After that i re-formed my monsters again, they are now slime+24 eggplaton+24 and baby panther +25.  For now i'll probably do a couple more 1 orb dungeons and try to get better people for the wagons.

EDIT

Here is a small update.  I did another short color dungeon and went looking for more people to recruit.  I found 8 total people this go around, i think thats the most i've ever found.  The most noteable ones were a weight 1 veteran knight(the old one was 3), a great warrior(finally have 3 of them now), and a weight 3 fencer(ended up replacing a weight 4 fencer).  The rest were all pretty much useless.  Outside of that my Slime is up to lvl 17, eggplaton lvl 20 and baby panther lvl 20.  I'll edit this post again with more details sometime tomorrow probably.

Edited by rmcin329
  • Upvote 1

Nice progress.  Having some power house fencers and warriors is a great step toward switching this game to easy mode.  That's great to hear about the True Mapper as well.  Hopefully you can find a low weight True Seer too.  Have you got a Sage yet?  They are supremely helpful for getting around to the towns quickly.

Hmmn no I don't have a sage, and i'm already full on people.  I could make a little room if i could find a tier 3 merchant(currently using a tier 1 and a tier 2 to achieve best tool shop).  I also have a tier 1 rebirther i could throw out.  I hear they're pretty much useless unless you have 3 for the combination attack.  While a sage might come in handy, i don't think they'll ever make it into the group, as it just seems like there is better uses for that space.  All of my warriors and fencers are tier 1 or 2, so still a lot of work to go there.  Plus they're always partially based off of your monster in question anyway.  Last reformation the highest attack was only 448.  Even if i get a few tier 3 warriors i don't really think it'll make enough difference without my monsters gaining more attack.  Honestly even tier 1 fencers do more damage on a regular basis than a tier 2 warrior.(this is in the same wagon against the exact same monster)  As for fighters.....I don't keep any of them around.  They have potentially good damage IF they crit, but even at tier 2 it seems to be not really worth it.

EDIT

Okay another small update, finished another run of looking for people for the caravan, i literally found 0 useful people.  I'll probably continue in hopes of having better luck.  The only semi useful thing i found out is that you can run into people for the caravan at a harbor.  Namely at luphgana harbor i found someone wanting to join my caravan.  I'm not yet seen someone wanting to join at a town that is literally just a harbor with nothing else.

EDIT AGAIN

After another round of hunting for people the only notable finds were a high cook weight 2(i only had a regular cook of weight 2), and a high seer of weight 1(a perfect replacement for my weight 1 seer).  I mostly keep the cook around for lowering ration consumption, but they also wind up being helpful to keep my eggplaton up on mp, as it has the lowest max mp of my guard monsters by far.

UPDATE

Here is another small update.  This go around I picked up a cleric weight 1, which ended up replacing my weight 2 cleric, a weight 1 high cook to replace my weight 2 high cook, and a high rebirther to replace my regular rebirther.  Now for some interesting bits of note.  You can actually find caravan members in Luin's hometown(seems to be pretty rare though) so always check there, and the town that has a jail(the name escapes me at the moment) can suprisingly have a caravan member show up in the jail itself(only seen this happen once so far).   The port at Luphgana can also produce caravan members though i've only seen it happen once so far.  On a rather funny note apparently color orbs can show up even in Slimeland itself.

I also wanted to drop notes on what seeds i've gotten off of what monsters in case anyone actually wants to hunt them or something.  I've just sort of randomly stumbled onto these during my travels.  Speed seed-Wind beast, defense seed-metal slime and something also dropped one near the Alefgard port as well(can't be more specific because the fight had multiple monster types in it, and there is no metal slimes in Alefgard unless you bring a metal master which i do not have), I also saw a power seed drop near the Alefgard port(once again fight with multiple monster types),  and strange nuts-Dead father.  I'll probably update this at some point in the future as I find more seed drops, but they are quite rare really.

UPDATE AGAIN

This go around i picked up a weight 1 high rebirther to replace my previous high rebirther.  outside of that I found a true fencer who promptly replaced my regular fencer the other finds weren't really anything good. Monster levels are up to Slime lvl 23, Eggplaton lvl 30, and baby panther lvl 30.

SMALL UPDATE

another round of hunting for caravan members is done, i found a 3rd high cleric but at a weight of 4 had no room for them anywhere, so I wound up throwing them out(leaves me with 2 high clerics and 1 cleric), the only other noteable find was a great fencer who once again weighed too much to be able to be used anywhere.

UPDATE

Yet another go around complete and no-one truly worthwhile, just a over-weight high cleric who had to be kicked out as soon as they were found.

BIG UPDATE

This time around i found a weight 2 true warrior(according to guide at gamefaqs thats the lowest they can go) which caused me to quickly kick out my weight 5 great warrior.  I also found a weight 1 true seer who replaced my weight 1 high seer.  The other people found weren't too good, but at least i got something decent this go around.

UPDATE

More useless caravan members were found this go around, the best was probably the true tamer i found and threw out immediately.  I'll see about posting more updates as i continue my search for better caravan members.

ANOTHER UPDATE

This time around the most notable finds were a true seer(already have one with a weight of 1 lol) and a true cleric weight 1.  I tossed out my cleric quickly for the new true cleric.(this gives me 2 high clerics and 1 true cleric now)

MORE NEWS

Well I found a weight 1 master chef this time around.  They quickly got to replace my high chef.  The other good find was a true rebirther who wound up replacing my high rebirther.  Seems how I need 3 of them to have it be worth anything though, it doesn't really seem to matter at this point.  Maybe if i get a king merchant and kick out my veteran knight i'd have room.  I dunno, have to wait and see for now.  As an additional update monster levels are up to Slime-27, Eggplaton-37, Baby panther-37.  On a sidenote i ran into a cursed monster today, that seems to be pretty rare.  I've seen plenty of monsters caught in traps or needing to be oiled even, but cursed ones seem quite uncommon.  I imagine i'd probably need a hunter for the ones in traps and a metal hunter/killer/etc for the ones needing oil. 

UPDATE

another run completed and no one worthwhile found.

SMALL UPDATE

around round completed and one worthwhile person was found, a weight 1 veteran fisher.  Needless to say, i quickly kicked out my regular fisher for the veteran one.

SMALL NEWS

Yet another trip around the game world is complete and I found a weight 2 Metal Master.  I decided to toss out my veteran knight in exchange for him.  I don't know if i really want to use him a  lot at the moment though.  My baby panther is my fastest monster right now at 530 speed and it feels like your basic metal slime gets to act first two thirds of the time or so :(.   I shudder to think how much faster mettables or even metal kings might be.  Metal slimes are 1 shot killed by my baby panther pretty easily but i'm not sure for my Slime or Eggplaton, as they don't usually get to try before the Metal Slimes are either dead or run away.  I'm not if my baby panther could 1 shot mettables or metal kings though, i've only seen mettables like twice overall, and 0 metal kings.  Does anyone know what the $#!& the metal slimes speed stat actually is? :ws-slimemad:  It seems ridiculous how fast they are.

SMALL UPDATE AGAIN

I've completed another trip, and again no one good was available.

Edited by rmcin329

Okay time for the first of today's updates.  I finished another round of looking for caravan members with no luck.  Monster levels are now up to Slime+24-29/40 Eggplaton+24-40/40 and Baby panther+25-42/42.  For anyone curious total play time is up to 123 hours and 20min(apparently the game keeps track past 99 hours 59min lol).  For now i'm going to just work on turboing through battles til my Slime hits 40 and then do another reformation.  Updates for the 18th and 19th are all included in edits of my last post if anyone was wondering about those 2 days.

EDIT

Up until recently my true cleric was not seeing any use, because battles were being ended quickly during my hunts for caravan members.  Now that i've stopped to train in Alefgard i noticed something quite interesting.  According to the class guide at gamefaqs a true cleric is supposed to fully heal your monster OR heal the entire group for a small amount.  I haven't seen the group healing yet, but the single target healing is only proving to be 120 on the average which sure as heck ain't full healing.

EDIT AGAIN

Okay doing a little more testing, the group based healing seems to average at about 100ish per monster.  The single target heal appears to have a small chance of fully healing, but much much more often then not is around 120.  I suspect the group heal also has a small chance of fully healing, though its hard to test as its almost always single target healing.  As a small add on to notes on the true cleric, after a fair chunk more battling with them up front now, i have NEVER seen the group heal fully restore all monsters I am starting to suspect that it can't do so. In any case its still useful, but just thought i'd throw this info out there for anyone curious about it.

UPDATE

Okay i've finished grinding my Slime to level 40(turbo function of VBA-M sure does help a lot lol) and reforming my monsters again.  Grinding lvls this go around for my Slime was a LOT easier then previous times.  Namely I think thats because between stat gains and better caravan members i was able to fight in Alefgard forest without needing to ever go to an inn(rather then every handful of fights).  SImply dumping the true cleric on my frontmost guard monster seemed to take care of a lot of problems despite the average healing being only 120.  As an example last reformation(before i had the true cleric even, amongst other members) grinding my Slime from lvl 30-35 took about 23min per level tuboring the battles.  This go around from 35 to 40 only took 15min per level with turboing them.  Quite a big difference when you don't need to stop at the inn constantly heh.  Anyway my Slime is up to +30, Eggplaton +30, and Baby panther +31.  I'll probably go back to hunting caravan members for awhile now.

Another note for anyone interested.  The event of a Cook running off into the forest and coming back with a seed happens a LOT more often for me in Alefgard forest than anywhere else on the world map.  So if anyone wants to go seed hunting that is something to keep in mind.

UPDATE

I finished a trip around searching for caravan members, sadly no good ones were found, but i'll keep looking anyway.

SMALL UPDATE

Another round completed, and again no good caravan members were found.

UPDATE

I've completed another trip and the best find was a gamble king with a weight of 6.  Honestly I don't know if i'll ever bother with gamblers, they were tossed out immediately.

SMALL NEWS

The only good find this go around was a weight 1 High cleric.  I tossed out my weight 3 high cleric to say the least.  That still leaves me with 2 high clerics and 1 true cleric for now, still hoping for more true ones.

NEWS

Okay I finally found a 2nd true warrior.  They have a weight of 5, but both of my great warriors were weight 4 so it wasn't a huge deal to toss one of them out for the new true warrior really.  This gives me 2 true warriors now and 1 great warrior.

EDIT

Another round of looking for people is complete, and no one decent was found.

MORE EDITING

Once again another trip is done with no one good was found.

SMALL NEWS

Another trip is complete and I didn't find any good caravan members.

NEWS

Yet another trip done, the only semi decent find being a true bard, but I don't really have space for any bards at all so they had to be passed up.

UPDATE

I've finished another trip and found no one of use.

UPDATE

I've completed another round and again no one good was found.

SMALL NEWS

I found a true sage this go around, but as I said in a previous post, I can't justify keeping a sage, there is simply better people to fill in that slot.  A sage would save some time, but I don't really care about that, I have lots of time anyway.

Edited by rmcin329