Sign in to follow this  
RyuKisargi

Derpametric's Rants - Final Fantasy VII.

At the end of the day, if someone believes Final Fantasy VII is the best game ever, it is still a matter of opinion. You can rant about it all you want, but if a game has stuck with them as long as FFVII has, there must be a good reason, whether it be the story, the music, the gameplay, or the combination. It's hard to argue a matter of opinion, because it is your own perception of the game that makes you dislike it. Now I understand that some games simply are better than others and that nostalgia can be blinding, and it's okay to get mad if people don't try other games simply because it isn't Final Fantasy VII, I'd throw you a bone, but if someone strictly likes FFVII more, is it really fair to get mad at them?

Rather than complain that people like a game that they really enjoyed, you could perhaps discuss what the game does and does not do well, and then compare it to other games similar in style, rather than make broad and rhetorical remarks that really say nothing and come across more as whining.

Final Fantasy VII has an intriguing story, complete with plot twists and deep characters. It was the series first dabbling in a present-day style setting, as opposed to the past games medieval and steampunk setting. It returned the cast size to a more manageable number, post Final Fantasy VI's mistake of stretching itself too thin, which allowed each character to be important and have their own moments of development throughout the plot that felt more organic. It also managed to have a very strong sense of story progression, whilst providing enough distractions to not be overly linear. The game was always exciting, working in action scenes like snowboarding and motorcyle chases into the gameplay, rather than leaving them strictly cutscenes. The game also managed to stay continually fresh in environments and quests. The battle system wasn't broken, and it wasn't difficult requiring needless grinding. It encouraged exploration and curiousity with new power-ups and extra plot scenes, not just at the end of the game, but throughout. The music, which is my personal favorite soundtrack from the series, perfectly matches the atmosphere of the game. The characters were often relatable and managed to not be cliche.

As an aside, Cloud was not emo until Advent Children (which apparently is due to some plot thing, but I don't care for that movie anyway). It's annoying fanboys who seem to always portray him that way, but it is most likely a reflection of their own insecurities. Squall is emo, but in his defense, considering his childhood and the people around him, he is a very believable, and relatable character as well.

As a second aside, Final Fantasy VII qualifies as a fantasy for several reasons. One, fantasy is a sub genre of science fiction, and the alternate world that has lifeblood that people use to make electricity, plus the inclusion of an outerspace parasite instantly slips the game into the science fiction genre. The inclusion of elements that are more mystical, such as the more spiritual elements of the world being alive, magic widely used, and spirits such as the summons, not to the mention the breaking of the realism typically expected in general science fiction in regards to physics and the wild attacks employed by the characters. Final Fantasy VII also takes inspiration from both mythology and folklore, which would place it into the very abstract sub genre, or to clarify modern fantasy. Second, the "Fantasy" in the title may not even refer to the genre in and of itself either. The definition of fantasy: "imagination, especially when extravagant and unrestrained", clearly applies to the story and gameplay of Final Fantasy VII.

It's also my favorite game ever... :B

Edited by IvorEvilen

It just annoys me that people claim that ff7 was sooo great and that "nothing compares". I just played Rhythm Thief, yeah, It's not even close to an RPG. But it's got a great story, great music, amazing characters. But somehow those die-hard fans will still say FF7 is better. Somehow. But 5 bucks says they didn't even give it a try. Most the people are such FF7 fanboys and fangirls that if they don't like it, it's bad and if its not like FF7, they don't like it.

^

Why does it bother you if people thing a game is so great, anyway? Why does it matter? How does it affect your opinion?

I mean, heck. Most of the games I love most people thing are mediocre or terrible. XII is my personal favorite Final Fantasy and people act like it's some some horror story abomination

Rather than complain that people like a game that they really enjoyed, you could perhaps discuss what the game does and does not do well, and then compare it to other games similar in style, rather than make broad and rhetorical remarks that really say nothing and come across more as whining.

This is a rant topic. Just what were you expecting? >_>

And if he decides he wants to rant on the game he every right to do so. He can have an opinion like anyone else on here. Dont act like he cant. Anyways on to the topic:

FFVII eh? Well here goes. When I was young there weren't many RPGs that I had. Dragon Warrior 1 for NES was great and I also had Final Fantasy 1 for NES. Also great. However most RPG throughout the years seemed to elude us so I wasnt aware of all the good ones that came out after that.

However when the Sony Playstation first came out my parents bought me one since it sounded neat. The first RPG I had was...you guessed it...FINAL FANTASY VII! Honestly I was confused at the time thinking that they were jumping from FFI to FFVII but whatever. The game looked nice.

Now it IS worth noting that this is the first RPG game that didnt have silent protagonists so this was quite a change for me. The characters. The story. The music. The graphics. Everything was more advanced. I was abit different than most. I looka t this game and said...Sony Playstation is awesome. Are all the RPGs going to be this good? :D

And sure enough there were loads of good RPGs out there for the PSX. Wild Arms...Beyond the Beyond...Suikoden...Legend of Dragoon...you get the picture. XD

What does this have to do with FFVII tho? Simple. Its not one of a kind. It never was.

Is it a good game? Its debatable. It all depends on the individual who's playing it.

Does it deserve best RPG of all time? NO! Definately NO! No RPG does. Everyone has different tastes. People may like Legend od Dragoon best. Some may like Dragon Quest VII best. Some may like 7th Saga best. It honestly just depends on the individual.

Thats my 2 cents.

Happy Ranting! ^_^

7th Saga! :D

Final Fantasy VII popped a lot of people's RPG cherry due to fancy graphics and cut scenes; and you never forget your first. You gotta remember something, on this side of the world most people think that first person shooters and good graphics make a good game. So these people most likely played FF7 as their first rpg. I played all the FF games before VII was released and my favourite is still IV followed by VI. VII probably comes next. Anyway, that's how I see things.

Edited by Cain

(Non-fan: Sooooo... FFVII is to gaming as Norio Wakamoto is to seiyuu?

Common folk: Yeah, sure, the're the best things ever. Mix 'em up an you've got a godlike game!)

And I too hate when a lot of common folk blindly say that FFVII is the best game ever (example above).

Anyways, you could've given yourself a bit more expansion in your views, but overall, good rant. And BTW, you're right about FFVII not deserving the pedestal most people give it.

(P.S. Final Fantasy VII is mostly for weeaboo scum.)

(P.S.S. Sorry if it's pointless. I just couldn't get it out of my head any longer.)

Edited by Kabouter Slime

Thank you. I feel rather strongly that FF7 has a reputation it does not deserve.

Where's the FF6 sequels? Where Kefka and Magic come back?! D:

FF7 is a good game. It's my favorite non-dragon quest rpg. I think it's also way too overrated. People need to calm down, because the only reason ff7 is the best ff is because square gave up afterwards, thinking they could spoonfeed us crap and rely on ff7's fame. FF8 and ff9 are decent, but after that it goes downhill. So has dragon quest since the merge. They just don't make rpg's as good as they used too.

At least I can see dragon quest getting better again if they pull away from the multiplayer gimic. 9 was too generic, and I don't even see 10 coming out in America.

Princess Lilly: next time use spoiler tags, please. I just started ff5.

Thank you. I feel rather strongly that FF7 has a reputation it does not deserve.

Where's the FF6 sequels? Where Kefka and Magic come back?! D:

Older FF games don't need sequels. The games are complete enough as it is. How many of the sequels were considered good? The world is saved, everything is fine. No sequel is needed. In fact, when X-2 was announced, based on the ending to 10, I wondered how could they possibly make a sequel to that game. Needless to say, because of the ending to 10, they made what I felt was an awful story cause they were handcuffed on FF10's ending. We are collecting old spheres? Wow I really want to see the ending to that game.

It seems like with 13, they attempted to plan for sequels, but I feel with the ones before that, they just decided to make a sequel out of nowhere and I feel that some just don't really need one.

FF6 would probably be one of the worst examples of a FF game needing a sequel simply because of what you said. You were probably joking, but a lot of them are like that. FF5 is one of them that could potentially get a prequel based on the story. Of course, if you ask me, they should just remake 5 or other FF games, not make sequels/prequels.

That was a joke, FF6 ended on a final note.

Honestly, if I had a personal choice for a remake? I'd choose FF5 and 6, same as Anthology, to be released alongside each-other. No crazy 3D graphics, but FF6-style text with FF4 PSP-style spriting. :D

And to be honest, I don't really understand why they bother with sequels for -any- of the games in the FF series either. It's "Final" for a reason.

Actually its called 'Final' Fantasy, because Squaresoft was going bankrupt and Final Fantasy 1 was supposed to be the last game they produced. But it was so popular that it saved the company and became a series.

And to be honest, I don't really understand why they bother with sequels for -any- of the games in the FF series either. It's "Final" for a reason.

It all depends if an FF title is a cash cow for them. If it's like FFVII, then they'll make sequels to said game. If it's like the others, then they won't bother with any sequel because it's not like FFVII or Kingdom Hearts (FFIV: The After Years is an exception).

While I enjoyed the FF7 series, it is overrated, but there is a fine line between being opinionated and just being a dick.

Edited by ss14hero

While I enjoyed the FF7 series, it is overrated, but there is a fine line between being opinionated and just being a dick.

Well, I did say "mostly," as there are non-weeaboos who enjoyed it.

Edited by Kabouter Slime

There are a ton of "non-weeaboos" who like it. It is probably the JRPG that most non-weeaboos have played. Not that you should be using terms you don't understand anyway.

Edited by Megalosaro

There are a ton of "non-weeaboos" who like it. It is probably the JRPG that most non-weeaboos have played.

D'oh!Sorry. Just thought FFVII was mostly for weebs, but I guess not.

Edited by Kabouter Slime

I'm one of those people who never actually played Final Fantasy 7. I did watch my cousin play it, but I never bothered to try it when he asked if I wanted to play it. It just didn't appeal to me.

7th Saga! :D

:wd_coolslime:

f'real, Kamil / Esuna.