Finally defeated Corvus ...NOT according to plan.

First, don't look at me funny. I actually only started playing DQ9 this year, and then only off and on as time permitted. So no blame in taking this long to beat the main quest. :)

Second, one of the reasons for taking my sweet time was Corvus himself. I must admit when I first fought his final form, I got my ass handed to me but good. I just wasn't prepared for how tough he would be, mostly because many of the bosses prior to him hadn't been terribly difficult. Only King Godwyn's final form gave me serious trouble, and I still beat him on my first try (granted, I was down to my last man, would definitely die on the next hit, hail-married a Thunder Thrust attack ...and WON THE BATTLE!).

I tried fighting Corvus again, coming better prepared with items and accessories that'd help against all those nasty status effects that made the first fight so hard (seriously, Burning Breath actually works!?), and still no luck.

So, time to really prepare for this fight. More vocation grinding (though reasonably so - it'd take too long to get my Sage into the 40s, much less anyone else into the Lv. 60s!), Better equipment. And especially more alchemized items to help with status effects and healing. There was no way I'd be defeated next time.

After I'd finally gathered all the things I figured I'd need for the final battle, I rushed up to his stasis field and engaged him in combat.

...only to realize I'd NEGLECTED TO INCLUDE ANY ITEMS IN MY INVENTORY!

This occurred because a short while before, I'd auto-organized all my items into the bag, as grotto grinding had left everyone's supplies cluttered. I figured once I got up to Corvus, I'd simply restock my characters as needed. But, in my haste to get the final battle done and over, I forgot to restock everyone.

Thus, no Yggdrasil items (I'd even alchemized two Dews!). No Elixirs. No Lunarias (for those annoying paralysis effects). Only the Manuals I'd earned through grinding.

Yet, I still beat him in the end. It got dicey a couple times tho'. What I wouldn't have given for Yggdrasil items after that bloody Magic Burst. >.<

Game's been out for a while, too, yo, though I'm not sure if it's been long enough for that 'spoilers no longer apply' rule, which I forget the specifics of.

When I was going through the game the first time I felt all the bosses got tougher once the Gittish Empire showed up, especially once you got into the empire itself. A lot of folks have varying opinions on the matter, though, and I think I normally heard people saying Corvus, and the game itself, came off as easy. Mind, I don't really get all the different requirements for difficulty around here. I think a fight is hard in one of these games if I nearly die trying to win it, while some folks won't find a battle hard until they lose dozens of times first.

That aside, good job clearing the main game, yo. Have fun with the extremely varied and totally not monotonous post-game :P

• Upvote 1

Good job man.

I've actually gotten lucky with Corvus in mine. He never got off a Magic Burst before I beat.

(I'll spoiler this next part)

Now Greygnarl in the Grottoes, did get Magic Burst off on me when I fought him. Ouch!!!

Edited by Stepchan

Congrats on your win! What was your team?

Hm, I think it was something like this:

Main Character: Lv. 40 Paladin, former Lv. 57ish Minstrel; Shield and Sword skills maxed out.

Second: Lv. 50ish Priest, former Lv. 45ish Paladin; Spears skills maxed out.

Third: Lv. 55ish Ranger, former Lv. 20ish Warrior & Lv. 20 Gladiator; Axe skills maxed out.

Fourth: Lv. 35ish Sage, former Lv. 40ish Mage & Lv. 45ish Armamentalist; Whip skills maxed out.

So in all, a fairly well-rounded team. A lack of items for the battle wasn't a huge detriment, just made it far more interesting.

And PanteonSasuke, what monotony? I'm totally hooked on systematically going through collected grotto maps. :biggrin:

Why so high leveled? I was just barely over 40 for myself. I was:

Gladiator Lv.41(changed vocation)

Priest Lv. 44(died several times)

Armentalist Lv.43(changed vocation)

Thief Lv.42(tried being Mage, Warrior, Paladin, and Priest)

But have fun with post game.

• Upvote 1

I played DQIX again recently, I beat every ennemy without grinding too much. I had some hard job beating Barbarus, but it was still OK.

Then Corvus.... I needed an insane amount of grinding. If you don't have a sage or priest in your party, this fight is basically unwinnable.

My team was Ministrel (of course...), Martial Artist *2, Mage (with maxed Wand).... level around 40-45, not enough reincarnationto be noticeable...

Now, the only thing missing is Finding his goddamn Excalipurr....

Now Greygnarl in the Grottoes, did get Magic Burst off on me when I fought him. Ouch!!!

He is incredibly hard.... My whole team is level 99, but I still get my ass handed.

His War Cry move works also extremely well...

Why so high leveled? I was just barely over 40 for myself.

Mostly a case of sticking to certain Vocations for so long while grinding up the levels for newer ones. And most of that grinding was for skill points to learn the best attacks in those skill sets.

Ultimately, once I decided to change my Main from a Minstrel to a Paladin, I planned to get him up to Lv. 40 (and hopefully my Sage to have learned MoreHeal), then go from there. Whatever levels I earned for my other characters were simply bonus.

Edited by Sykonee

Why so high leveled? I was just barely over 40 for myself.

Mostly a case of sticking to certain Vocations for so long while grinding up the levels for newer ones. And most of that grinding was for skill points to learn the best attacks in those skill sets.

Ultimately, once I decided to change my Main from a Minstrel to a Paladin, I planned to get him up to Lv. 40 (and hopefully my Sage to have learned MoreHeal), then go from there. Whatever levels I earned for my other characters were simply bonus.

I guess that makes sense. More strength, the better.

Nah, DQ's one of those rare games I actually enjoy the grind. Probably from all those years playing the original NES games ingraining it in me. :P

I think that's why I'm enjoying all these grottos so much. You end up grinding without even realizing it as you explore each new cave (and I'm a sucker for exploration!).

• 4 months later...

I had a hard time with Corvus my first 5 or so tries. I wiped the floor with him once I was actually focused. Dragon Quest final bosses are always tough. The Cheeta dude that you fight at the Gortress was very tough. The only reason I beat him was because of my last turn. Everybody was dead, my hero, monk, and wizard. My preist, Sheena, was still alive and she had thunder thrust which attacks first no matter what. I said why, not I'm gonna die any way and I used it. Then GHAAASSSH! The screen flashed white and my mouth agape. Dragon Quest IX is very tough in general. Great achievement now try to defeat Malroth, Zoma, Esturk, and the Dragon Lord.

Wait till you get up to

Nokturnus

That guy is deadly even at lvl 1!

I'm still stuck at

Mortamor lv.1

• 2 months later...

Corvus was pretty easy for me. Ran at him with some level 35s (I hadn't died at all throughout the story, except on one occasion with some Beakons... I'd rather not talk about it), and he killed 2 of my members in the first 2 rounds - my healer included.  >.< Crit/Crit/Normal/Crit/Combo/Crit I think it went. He only used basic attacks, so I guess that's something. Came back 5 levels later (or 100 skillpoints in Virtue, in my healer's case) and smashed him with surprising ease. 

I've looked at Nokturnus's skillset. It's EVIL. Lullab-eye, 3 attacks per round, magic burst/recover, etc. etc. Pure evil. I hate you Nokturnus. 

Not reached the legacy bosses yet though. 

• 3 weeks later...

I actually managed to beat Corvus quite easily and without a healer, i just kept attacking with falcon slash with a few characters(with uber falcon blade) and after not that many turns BAM Corvus was dead. Although my party members did take quite a lot of damage.(by the way i have a healer now)

• 4 weeks later...

Heh, I did in DQ9 what I usually did in DWM2.  Namely... grind random maps for loot until I get bored.

That tends to make you drastically over leveled...  I first started doing it in my second play of DWM2.  In my first play, I ran into the Metabble mini-boss and well, I didn't lose, but it was really long and frustrating.  Attack! Miss... Attack! miss... Attack! 1 damage!  Yeah, that gets old fast.....  In my sencond play I did an UBER breeding project that gave me a King Leo.  By the time I actually fought the Metabble in my second play, my King Leo pretty much sneezed on it and killed it.

I ended up unintentionally doing something similar in DQ9.  I spent a lot of time doing grottoes and maxing skills, then fought Corvus.... not as hard as some of the Grotto bosses I fought.