Talking to Alexa and having her take you to different areas in town also increases it.

Also, I didn't know that buying Premier Balls increases it. Wow.

Finished with my breeding spree.

The results:

Absol with Super Luck, named Gluko.

Sentret with Keen Eye, named Yui.

Mawile with Intimidate, named Guu.

Buizel, named err... (goes to check) Shampoo.

Edited by Stepchan
  • Upvote 1
  • Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So I just booted up my Pokemon Black for the first time, in many many months, to get the free Pokemon from Gamestop (EB Games for you Canadians [i think]). I also put down a little coin on Pokemon Whi

Ninetails.

Infernape. My favorite, and in my opinion, best starter by far.

Posted Images

I do know about the premier ball method, I was hoping not to have to resort to it.

I might have a few more chats with Alexa.

Lady Luck must hate me. My Pokédex is about 2/3rds complete and I still haven't encountered a single shiny yet. Maybe I should chain fish for one sometime.

If we were able to trade, I wouldn't mind sending one of my foreign Pokemon your way(not the Japanese Ditto, but I have extra foreign Gibles and Chespins just for example, along with some others that are redundant for me to have) in case you wanted to try the Masuda Method.

As soon as Pokébank is available, I'll have a nice queue of Japanese Pokémon coming my way. I'll probably be able to MM a few shinies then. But for the mean time, it is the old fashion way.

Masuda method be damned. I've tried the MM for a shiny Vulpix for like 10 boxes. Today I got a shiny Froakie just trying to breed a good one with old fashioned American parents.

Sounds like my attempts at the shiny Swirlix(and to a lesser degree Smoochum). ^

Masuda Method, while still a far better chance than not using it at all, is still very haphazard.

I got that shiny Gible when I was using a foreign Pokemon during breeding, but my only real objective was breeding decent psuedo-legendaries(I wasn't really concerned with getting a shiny, but did exploit using the Japanese Gible just to increase the odds).

As soon as Pokébank is available, I'll have a nice queue of Japanese Pokémon coming my way. I'll probably be able to MM a few shinies then. But for the mean time, it is the old fashion way.

Ah, so you already have some but can't access them in gen 6 as of yet. Still would be nice if we all could trade a bit(provided it were planned ahead of time).

I know what it feels like to not have any shiny encounters at all during a generation of Pokemon games, that happened in gen 5 for me(Where as I got at least one shiny in gen 4 during my Heartgold playthrough. My nephew on the other hand got a shiny Liepard in his White playthrough).

I'd love to trade if I had Wi-Fi(which I may get for Christmas). As for shinies, I've found my share of them(Onix in Silver, Voltorb/Electrode in Firered, Bibarel in Diamond, Ralts and Swinub via trade in HeartGold, and Boldore/Gigalith in White), but none in Gen 6(yet).

Huh that's weird. The only shiny I ever saw in previous games was a shiny Ponyta in Platinum. I've been playing this stuff for 14 some odd years and I only ever got one. Granted I stopped playing for a couple years after Red and Blue then jumped back in right after Emerald was released so it's more like 8 years. Then Gen VI rolls around and I suddenly have 4. It only took them doubling the shiny rate, but hey, I'm not complaining.

I'd love to trade if I had Wi-Fi(which I may get for Christmas). As for shinies, I've found my share of them(Onix in Silver, Voltorb/Electrode in Firered, Bibarel in Diamond, Ralts and Swinub via trade in HeartGold, and Boldore/Gigalith in White), but none in Gen 6(yet).

Cool.  :thumbsup:

Gen 2 I ran into 2 shinies(A Rattata and Drowzee. I know that I KO'd the Rattata accidently, but I don't remember what happened with the Drowzee).

Gen 3 I hatched a shiny Sentret, which I wish I still had(I sold my copies of the games that year).

Gen 4 I caught a shiny Caterpie during the Bug Catching Contest on Heartgold, it's now waiting and snug as a bug(pun intended) as a Butterfree on my copy of Black for the Pokeback to be open.

Gen 5 was my dry spell, I had no way to Masuda method at the time either(I didn't have Wifi until the end of August this year) and sending over my the shiny Butterfree and the shiny event legendaries don't count.

Gen 6 has, overall, been the most generous for me with shinies. 3 encounters(2 caught, one accidently KO'd) and 1 hatched due to Masuda Method(but I wasn't really MM a shiny at the time). Shiny Roselia, Gible and Bergmite. Did I make Lucy Lawless happy or something? :P

Edited by Stepchan

Well Gen IV, apart from chaining, I obtained a shiny, sassy, bibarel, in 2 separate games. Both were on Rt 216 iirc, but different grass patches. The route below Solaceon town. And a shiny golbat in victory road in Platinum (I think it was Platinum, not fully sure now)

Gen V, the third sandile I came across was shiny. I'd managed to OHKO the first two, so I was glad I did not destroy this one!

He turned out to be Adamant/Moxie, and I named him Dundee.

Apart from that, several rounds of MM for pokemon such as Tangela, Shroomish and Poliwag.

Gen VI, until now, fruitless. About half an hour ago, I randomly encountered a shiny ditto on safari. I don't recall tipping today, and the MM hunt for a shiny froakie continues. 420ish eggs hatched so far, so potentially I have quite some time to go.

I tried tipping occasionally on my previous MM shiny Swirlix attempt, I'm not even sure tipping works with breeding for shinies.

I tried tipping occasionally on my previous MM shiny Swirlix attempt, I'm not even sure tipping works with breeding for shinies.

I think it's been all but confirmed it doesn't. I may be just a style thing.

Too bad deeper data mining hasn't happened to find out what does what in the game.

Caught Xerneus and defeated Team Flare.

Also, have my first person on the friend list(I might have had some sooner, but I tend to not be online with the game most of the time).

We attempted a trade, but I was having problems deciding on what to offer so he cancelled it. Still offered up to add each other on the friend list, so we did(I gave him an O-power boost to make up for my indecision).

Also did some more Wonder Trades. Not a whole lot to note, but I did get an Eevee with it's dream world ability and a Zorua.

Edited by Stepchan

Huh that's weird. The only shiny I ever saw in previous games was a shiny Ponyta in Platinum. I've been playing this stuff for 14 some odd years and I only ever got one. Granted I stopped playing for a couple years after Red and Blue then jumped back in right after Emerald was released so it's more like 8 years. Then Gen VI rolls around and I suddenly have 4. It only took them doubling the shiny rate, but hey, I'm not complaining.

Ditto.  I got one shiny in White, but that's it.  Can't even recall what it was... something common though.  Not a big deal for me.  I've played and beaten most of the games.  Gotta finish Black 2 & then get X or Y.  Thanks everyone for posting here.  I don't mind spoilers at all, so this whole thread makes me more prepared when I finally get started again in a couple months.

After putting 200+ hours into this game I'm getting a tad worn out. Also, I've kinda run out of stuff to do. I'm currently in a tournament over at Giantbomb but once that's over I'll probably take a break for a bit. I'll still hang out in this thread if anyone wants to trade or battle or whatever.

I'm trying my best to get through DQVIII before A Link Between Worlds comes out but that may be a stretch. By the time I play through that, the Pokebank will probably be out soon and I'll hop back into Pokemon for a bit.

All that aside, what are you guys expecting for the future of Gen VI? Ruby/Sapphire remakes? Z Version? Possibly X2 and Y2? Or something completely different? There's obviously going to be at least one more game with more about Zygarde. The upgraded versions/sequels featuring Rayquaza, Giratina, and Kyurem have proven that trend.

A Pokémon Z version. I could see that being possible, although I would like a Hoenn remake. I don't want to have to play on my Gameboy Advance to play my Emerald. I prefer the 3DS over it(and over emulation).

Not sure exactly what I think is going to be next, haven't really put much thought into it.

Currently at Snowbelle City, doing some quicky Amie stuff before going to Pokemon Village.

I'm going go be training my Malamar today. Since it is one of the only Pokémon I have with Suction Cups, I might as well gain a few levels for it so I can make chain fishing easier.

I need to find a suction cups Pokemon(while I have three shinies, none are Water Types).

About to fight in the 8th gym.

I own 4 Suction Cup Pokémon(Malamar, Octillery, and two Lileep). Of course, none of them are very strong yet(Malamar is level 45 right now). And since I'm sick, I'll have a fair amount of time to train it up some more.

I think I still have an Inkay, just don't know it's ability off hand. Chain fishing can wait until post for me. Just need to clear Victory Road, the E4 and Champ.

I still need to beat one sky battle(which I did try... and reseted. Stupid Stone Edge spamming Aerodactyl. If I used that move it most likely miss). I need to check and see if any new sky battles pop up post game.

http://www.serebii.net/games/shiny.shtml

Also, apparently someone has learned how to data mine to a higher degree. Chances for shinies are 1 in 4,096 in X and Y normally. Which means Masuda Method got the same treatment(being roughy 1 in 680-something).

Edited by Stepchan

I've just about completed what I can for the in-game Dex, which doesn't include the Pokémon that require the Friend Safari to get.