16 hours ago, eal said:

There’s a uniquely bizarre awkwardness exclusive to stores like Walmart and Target where you have to hunt down an associate, tell them you want a game out of the case, walk them over to it, and declare out loud to them which game you want (because silently pointing at it would give off the vibe that you’re embarrassed to be buying it). Then, they spend about 30 seconds fumbling with the case while you stand awkwardly next to them. Then, they walk you over to their register and you either get it in another case that will have to be opened later at a front end register or pay for it then and there.

Yup. When watching Aggretsuko season 3 earlier this year there’s an episode opening that reminded me of that awkward experience.

• Like 1
  • Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So I just booted up my Pokemon Black for the first time, in many many months, to get the free Pokemon from Gamestop (EB Games for you Canadians [i think]). I also put down a little coin on Pokemon Whi

Ninetails.

Infernape. My favorite, and in my opinion, best starter by far.

Posted Images

19 hours ago, eal said:

There’s a uniquely bizarre awkwardness exclusive to stores like Walmart and Target where you have to hunt down an associate, tell them you want a game out of the case, walk them over to it, and declare out loud to them which game you want (because silently pointing at it would give off the vibe that you’re embarrassed to be buying it). Then, they spend about 30 seconds fumbling with the case while you stand awkwardly next to them. Then, they walk you over to their register and you either get it in another case that will have to be opened later at a front end register or pay for it then and there.

I deal with that with Flash Drives and MicroSD cards.

The 256gb flash drive I wanted was only $30. But I had to get an associate unlock it for me? I think the locks start at about $20.

How do they decide at what point they start locking them? Reminds me of Key and Peele's Al Qaeda sketch

On 11/9/2020 at 8:04 PM, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Should have told him they taste like chocolate.

Whenever I have to ask a Walmart associate to open the game case, there’s always some kind of (stupid) comment made. Back when I picked up Smash Ultimate I got it from Walmart, and the kid who helped me out asked if I had ever played a Smash game before. He then started telling me how fantastic Melee was and so on. This was someone who must have been about 18 or so. I just looked at him and said “I’ve been playing Smash Bros. since the original on the N64. I grew up with it.” Not gonna lie, the way the kid went quiet made me laugh afterwards.

Melee players are something else. There was a tournament I was volunteering for last year. We had one guy who was being an elitiest over playing Melee to a new player who wanted to show up just to have fun. I was pretty tired and aggravated so I wasn't nice about my comments on telling him to leave the newbie alone to enjoy his time at the venue. It goes both ways too. I had people call me an elitest for saying Melee was my favorite. Even though I was never smug about it. Just a bad reputation that those players have built up. They treat it like a religion at times. The guy that was being a jerk found me on Facebook and added me. Apparently he was huge into Magic the Gathering, but was only playing it to impress someone into dating him. A close friend of mine played casual matches with him in MTG as well but he was being an ass the whole time too. All his MTG buddies ended up not inviting him anymore. Didn't take long for me to remove him off my list.

Going back to store purchases. I hate going to Best Buy. Someone on floor was trying to sell me on a copy of Diablo 3 for the PS3. I am here to buy a damn SD card. Leave me alone.

14 minutes ago, Twinkie said:

Melee players are something else. There was a tournament I was volunteering for last year. We had one guy who was being an elitiest over playing Melee to a new player who wanted to show up just to have fun. I was pretty tired and aggravated so I wasn't nice about my comments on telling him to leave the newbie alone to enjoy his time at the venue. It goes both ways too. I had people call me an elitest for saying Melee was my favorite. Even though I was never smug about it. Just a bad reputation that those players have built up. They treat it like a religion at times. The guy that was being a jerk found me on Facebook and added me. Apparently he was huge into Magic the Gathering, but was only playing it to impress someone into dating him. A close friend of mine played casual matches with him in MTG as well but he was being an ass the whole time too. All his MTG buddies ended up not inviting him anymore. Didn't take long for me to remove him off my list.

Going back to store purchases. I hate going to Best Buy. Someone on floor was trying to sell me on a copy of Diablo 3 for the PS3. I am here to buy a damn SD card. Leave me alone.

Melee is one of my favorite GameCube games and really helped solidify my love for Smash. I’m not against someone who calls it their favorite game/Smash title, but there’s definitely fans who take their love for it too far. I’ve had encounters with fans like that for a particular RPG series that made me “Nope,” most things about said series.

ANYWAY, getting back to Pokémon, I’m thinking I’ll fire up Pokémon Mystery Dungeon DX tomorrow or Thursday. Been wanting to get the game going and, well, nothing I’m playing right now on my Switch is really grabbing me. We’ll see if I get Psyduck again from the opening questionnaire like I did with the original on the DS!

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

So... I blame the hurricane. 58249ac402a70304d568f1b87baa128c.jpg

Yep. Whenever a hurricane hits, Amazon donates to Amazing Animals Inc. Your blame is rightly placed 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Plattym3 said:
On 11/11/2020 at 2:31 PM, eal said:
Hopefully I can count on you for some exclusives! emoji3590.png 

What do you need? Trying to figure out how to trade with my son right now since we're using the same profile. It's a pain.

Stonjourner, Turtonator, and Zacian.

A weird thing you can try is transferring Pokémon to Pokémon Home and withdrawing it into the other game.

Moving onward. Got gym badge 2 today. That battle was actually a challenge as I didn't have any type advantage for long. Eventually I just let the lady Dynamax & sacrificed Pokémon for a few rounds while reviving and healing.

I made it to the sixth gym yesterday. I have to say, there are a lot of challenging things about the battles that I'm not used to. Maybe it's my team composition, but I don't think I've ever had this much trouble in a Pokemon game before. It's a nice change.

I also love the world. The environments are beautiful and I really like the aesthetic of the towns in the region. The climate seems a little weird, with snowy areas that are south of desert areas, but the variety is nice, at any rate.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

All eight gym badges have been obtained in Pokemon Sword! :overjoyed2:

I was definitely expecting an ice type gym in Circhester, but was surprised to find that, for once, the gym in the snowy town was not Ice type. Go figure. It worked out better for my team's typing anyway, so I was okay with it. :)

The last two gyms were.... underwhelming. The gym challenges up to that point had some unique puzzles that were kind of fun to navigate through, but the last two seemed to throw all of that out the window. I did have fun taking down the eighth gym leader's Dynamax Building Pokemon even though it was not my cleanest battle ever.

I keep going back and forth on the story and the characters. It's possible that I've taken too long of gaps in between playing to keep any sort of continuity, but, while it seemed there was room for some neat character arcs, I think the writers slammed the door shut on that. At least, they forgot that character development is a progression rather than a series of contrasting snapshots. Oh well.

am having fun with my team of misfits (I didn't put a lot of thought into choosing my team at the beginning of the game), and I now have a double scoop ice cream cone as I evolved my Vanillish into Vanilluxe. Say what you will about it's design, but it makes me happy. It's new ability, snow warning, was helpful against some of the weather effects in the last gym, though it was interesting to find that opponent's weather abilities (drizzle/sand stream) end up prevailing as the game processes your abilities first. Maybe that's not new, but I don't usually pay too much attention to weather, so it's new to me!

I did get to see both Stonjourner and Turtonator today in gym battles! Now, I can at least say that I know what I'm looking for when I make it to the point where I can try to catch them for @eal . Someday soon, I hope!

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, Bluestar said:

I keep going back and forth on the story and the characters. It's possible that I've taken too long of gaps in between playing to keep any sort of continuity, but, while it seemed there was room for some neat character arcs, I think the writers slammed the door shut on that. At least, they forgot that character development is a progression rather than a series of contrasting snapshots. Oh well.

I'm so proud of you.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Bluestar said:

I was definitely expecting an ice type gym in Circhester, but was surprised to find that, for once, the gym in the snowy town was not Ice type. Go figure. It worked out better for my team's typing anyway, so I was okay with it. :)

I did get to see both Stonjourner and Turtonator today in gym battles! Now, I can at least say that I know what I'm looking for when I make it to the point where I can try to catch them for @eal . Someday soon, I hope!

It’s an ice type gym in Shield haha. I believe Gordy from Sword is the son of Melony from Shield.

No rush! PM me when you’re ready to trade. I’m only about two dozen shy of a complete Pokédex for the base game so I’ve got a decent amount of Pokémon I can trade.

• Like 1

I was definitely expecting an ice type gym in Circhester, but was surprised to find that, for once, the gym in the snowy town was not Ice type. Go figure. It worked out better for my team's typing anyway, so I was okay with it. 
The last two gyms were.... underwhelming. The gym challenges up to that point had some unique puzzles that were kind of fun to navigate through, but the last two seemed to throw all of that out the window. I did have fun taking down the eighth gym leader's Dynamax Building Pokemon even though it was not my cleanest battle ever.
am having fun with my team of misfits (I didn't put a lot of thought into choosing my team at the beginning of the game), and I now have a double scoop ice cream cone as I evolved my Vanillish into Vanilluxe. Say what you will about it's design, but it makes me happy. It's new ability, snow warning, was helpful against some of the weather effects in the last gym, though it was interesting to find that opponent's weather abilities (drizzle/sand stream) end up prevailing as the game processes your abilities first. Maybe that's not new, but I don't usually pay too much attention to weather, so it's new to me!
I did get to see both Stonjourner and Turtonator today in gym battles! Now, I can at least say that I know what I'm looking for when I make it to the point where I can try to catch them for [mention=5497]eal[/mention] . Someday soon, I hope!
You've got Sword, right? My son has Shield and it was an ice gym for him. I'm close behind you, got my 6th badge this morning.

Started down route 9 this morning and then got my bike upgraded to go on water. Spent almost 3 hours driving around water areas catching Pokémon & doing max raid battles. I'm being pulled in 2 directions with this game:

1. I feel like between my son's game and mine, I want to complete the Pokedex.

2. The Pokedex is 400 and I have like 100 and getting 10 takes most of my game time daily. Also, the DLC expands that, so what's the point of 400? Also, I'm starting to see personal annoyances with the game.
A. Everything is too slow. Picking attacks & just the flow of battle. This is especially evident because of something I hate about wild areas...
B. There's always some weather effect. And that going on makes battles drag with extra effects on each Pokémon each round. Slowwwwwwww
C. Max Raid battles are fun and I'd do more, but they're so so so slow to get into and get going. I'm either clicking on ones that are already full or I'm waiting 2-3 minutes hoping the person just freaking hits start.

Very heavily leaning to just beating it and being done except helping my son. Love Pokémon, but always have issues with it in modern gaming & I have more I want to play.

48 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

Started down route 9 this morning and then got my bike upgraded to go on water. Spent almost 3 hours driving around water areas catching Pokémon & doing max raid battles. I'm being pulled in 2 directions with this game:

1. I feel like between my son's game and mine, I want to complete the Pokedex.

2. The Pokedex is 400 and I have like 100 and getting 10 takes most of my game time daily. Also, the DLC expands that, so what's the point of 400? Also, I'm starting to see personal annoyances with the game.
A. Everything is too slow. Picking attacks & just the flow of battle. This is especially evident because of something I hate about wild areas...
B. There's always some weather effect. And that going on makes battles drag with extra effects on each Pokémon each round. Slowwwwwwww
C. Max Raid battles are fun and I'd do more, but they're so so so slow to get into and get going. I'm either clicking on ones that are already full or I'm waiting 2-3 minutes hoping the person just freaking hits start.

Very heavily leaning to just beating it and being done except helping my son. Love Pokémon, but always have issues with it in modern gaming & I have more I want to play.

I’m surprised you feel battles move slowly. I really felt the difference in pace when I went from Shield to AlphaSapphire a couple months ago, and it felt a lot slower and stiffer in my opinion than Shield did.

I usually do Raid Battles solo but obviously the AI partners they give you are pretty useless. I think your opinion might change if you try the Max Lair in the Crown Tundra DLC. You can be partnered with AI for it as well but since you don’t bring your own Pokémon into battle and instead use rented Pokémon, the other people that go in have a better pool of Pokémon to use than they normally do.

Eventually, all Wild Area Pokémon are level 60, so you can catch a basic Pokémon and use EXP candy to quickly evolve them. So you can fill your Pokédex pretty quickly in some respects.

• Like 1
I’m surprised you feel battles move slowly. I really felt the difference in pace when I went from Shield to AlphaSapphire a couple months ago, and it felt a lot slower and stiffer in my opinion than Shield did.
I usually do Raid Battles solo but obviously the AI partners they give you are pretty useless. I think your opinion might change if you try the Max Lair in the Crown Tundra DLC. You can be partnered with AI for it as well but since you don’t bring your own Pokémon into battle and instead use rented Pokémon, the other people that go in have a better pool of Pokémon to use than they normally do.
Eventually, all Wild Area Pokémon are level 60, so you can catch a basic Pokémon and use EXP candy to quickly evolve them. So you can fill your Pokédex pretty quickly in some respects.
It's more the online raids I see I can join that annoy me. I see one pop up and I want to join... but it's full. Or it's locked. Or I get in and have to wait 3 minutes for the other dude to start. I always do my own solo.

Good point about doing the quick evolution, everyone's already close to 50 I find.

As for the pace... I haven't played anything since Let's Go this summer or Sun & Moon, what? 4 years ago. Definitely comparing apples to oranges here, nothing concrete to base it upon.

Finished up most of the main game. Looks like maybe a tower to go up and then beat the champ & it's done.

Managed to get in on a Hatterene Max Raid Battle right before beating Hop (hopefully for the last time). It's quite strong and I had great TMs for it to teach it some stuff I wanted to have on hand. It worked out well the couple matches I threw it in. My party of 6 is finally a group I approve of after never really being happy with the entire group for 26 hours.

Working my way toward the Gym Leader in Fortree City (Pokemon Emerald, GBA). I think my squad is pretty well equipped to take him on now. 

I rotated out my starter (Mudkip -> Marshtomp) because I wanted to have more caught-pokemon in my team. 

6 minutes ago, cprmauldin said:

I rotated out my starter (Mudkip -> Marshtomp) because I wanted to have more caught-pokemon in my team. 

But Mudkip is the best!!!!!!

(Caught pokemon are cool too, I just really really like Mudkip)

5 minutes ago, Bluestar said:

But Mudkip is the best!!!!!!

(Caught pokemon are cool too, I just really really like Mudkip)

Yeah I do too. With the upcoming gym though (Flying type), he was an easy choice to rotate out. 

4 minutes ago, cprmauldin said:

Yeah I do too. With the upcoming gym though (Flying type), he was an easy choice to rotate out. 

I love Mudkip because of its type set... which is why I hate Aaron's Drapion.

I love that I can have a water type that's immune to electricity, but I hated that I could not find a weakness for the Elite Four in Platinum.

I still love Swampert, though

• Like 1