Cairne Gotha

Pokemans!

1 minute ago, Plattym3 said:

Ah. Now it makes sense.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, eal said:

Sounds like you didn’t like the game. I must have missed you mentioning that. What don’t you like about it? I wasn’t super into it in the beginning, but it grew on me after the third gym badge.

Poor choice of words at the beginning of my last post; I didn't mean to diss the game as harshly as my words obviously imply. I beat the game months ago, IIRC the same day I posted Bruno's new design.

I'm really of a mixed mind on it. (I ended up building a few walls of text on this, so I'm going to hide them all in a spoiler tag to spare the passing eyeball -- you have been warned).

Spoiler

On the one hand, I like the new art direction, not the Puni Plush aspect in particular, but that the towns, cities, and routes all have their own internal stylistic consistency now, which is a pleasant evolution from the original Yellow casting a very distinct shade of color over everything. (Frankly, I think Yellow's use of color is actually one of the best design choices for all the pre-GBA Pokemon games, giving each town its own distinct mood and tone through in-your-face hue; non-Yellow games from that era all use and reuse the same assets and colors for general scenery, so they never managed to have quite as much aesthetic, while GBA and forward games were practically flexing: "Here, have a town where all the houses are built in the tree canopy! Anyone want a town built into the cone of an extinct volcano?"). The updated designs for the characters and even some of the Pokemon are also solid; Misty's is especially nice, combining both of her Gen 1 outfits (though you'd have to look at the concept art to know that, Bruno is just oozing personality (his design in Masters just looks bland by comparison), and Vileplume is creepy again. These games also have a lot of good polish in little effects and quality of life upgrades, letting extra Pokemon follow you (and at different "speeds") and replacing the bike with a riding Pokemon mechanic (the special flyer options are delightful, and something I've been day-dreaming about since I was a teenager). There's a fair few pieces of fanservice, too -- Misty's Gym Trainers are her sisters from the anime and Archer shows up to tie in to the Team Rocket story from HGSS.

On the other hand, it's a very well polished port of a very primitive game, and it remains really primitive at heart; it's not substantially building or improving on the game and sometimes it just throws in differences for difference's sake (e.g. replacing the Four Rocket Brothers with the Four Rocket Sisters). Some of the differences are actually detrimental: some early promotional news about the game went over Pokemon's new nice Rival, and while I don't mind Trace as an independent character, he only serves as evidence that Game Freak really doesn't have any clue what it's doing.

To open up a tangent sidebar on formula and rivals:

Spoiler

I don't mind that Pokemon is formulaic, but I do mind that Game Freak doesn't understand it's own formula, and thus isn't able to consistently improve on or refine it. As far as I can tell, Game Freak knocked it out of the park back in the 90s, but since then hasn't figured out what a home run is made of, so they just keep doing the same thing over and over again with minor here-and-there tweaks each generation, tossing in new ideas only to throw them out because to Game Freak is literally convinced these tweaks are all just gimmicks (e.g. Mega Evolution). Hell, in LGPE, they have I think only one dedicated Pikachu/Eevee sneaking-climbing segment to get a certain item in the Team Rocket Hideout. Why is it there? If it were a game play element they followed up or built on, that would be great, but they only ever use it once, and the way they use it makes it little more than an extra hoop to jump through, especially considering the fact that in earlier versions of the game you just walked up and grabbed the item).

Case in point, the rival -- Pokemon's never had a better rival than Gary (if anyone insists that I call him Blue/Green, I'll call him Turquoise instead), because Gary gave the original story heart in a way that no other rival managed to after him. Gary not only had a character arc all to himself (i.e. his success strategy of focusing on the numbers and theory of Pokemon to the detriment of actually caring for or about them), but he had a growing relationship with you built on sheer hatred -- every time you two ran into each other, he kept doubling-down on showing you up to the point that he made an absolute jackass of himself, picking fights in graveyards and even hostage situations -- and he followed his arcs unerringly until it all righteously blew up in his face.

Silver (I'll let this one slide) had a character arc, starting in a more thuggish place but then deliberately diverging from Gary in learning to love his Pokemon before it was too late, but he never had a real relationship with you -- you two just kept happening to get in the other's way because you both had issues with Team Rocket. After GSC, Masuda took the reigns and got experimental, interrupting the Brendan/May relationship with Wally during the final stretch of the third gen games, running two different characters at once with Lucas/Dawn and Barry in the fourth gen, doing that again but actually committing with Cheren and Bianca, etc., but while he eventually got better at character arcs (Cheren and Bianca again), he never figured out the necessity of the rival's growing relationship (which is bizarre and disheartening, because "rival" is a word that is defined by a particular relationship); hell, Bianca and Cheren have more developed relationships with their mentors (Alder and Prof. Juniper) in Black and White than they do with you, they just keep checking in with you because they're technically the rival, and that means random encounters in the world. Whatever the Hell Hugh is, it isn't a rival; the dude's character arc is so self-contained you're basically just another tool in his arsenal. After that, all your "rivals" turned into friends who sulked and eventually moped about never being able to beat you (Cheren, Calem/Serena, Hau).

I make such a big stink about the rival role in particular because if Pokemon insists on using the rival as a story element, it needs to understand what the rival is and should be. This is the character who above all the main character should have a serious and growing relationship with, and nobody's qualified since Gary. Even in reducing it to the denotation of someone who drives you to improve through competition, the nice rival is a plague -- a rival should be someone you want to defeat, not a loser that you feel sorry for. Trace is just the natural end-point of this trend, a rival that never meaningfully competes with you.

Outside of the basic premise -- Pokemon Yellow but with Pokemon Go gameplay (which is really just fancy Safari Zone gameplay) -- LGPE doesn't really improve anything at the core of the game. Fire Red and Leaf Green gave you more to do, creating what basically amounts to a second region to explore and made a few contributions to the lore of the original games (e.g. the postgame Team Rocket campaign in FRLG prefigured the GSC Team Rocket, which was topped off with a hint that Giovanni had a kid with red hair, i.e. the GSC Rival), while LGPE just has Archer to make a call-forward that doesn't add anything new to the franchise and a post-game that amounts to 97.5% grunt work. You can complete Cerulean Cave, have a handful of post-game special character encounters, and the Master Trainers side-quest, which amounts to (1) catch a Pokemon, (2) raise it to Level 75 or so, (3) beat the master trainer, (4) repeat Steps 1 to 3 over one hundred and forty times. That's probably fine with children, but I don't have that kind of attention-span configuration anymore, and I haven't really tried to Catch 'em All since early high school -- I'm not an eight-year-old bragging to a classmate that I could defeat Giovanni in three days anymore.

TL;DR: LGPE isn't bad and in many ways is quite charming, but it suffers because it boils down to a very polished version of a primitive game, and not only do they fail to build on the original when they really should know how to by now, some of Game Freak's changes are pointless or even detrimental to the game and indicate the creators don't know what they're doing, which is disheartening.

Or maybe I'm just a cantankerous old stinker, I don't know.

Edited by Brother Jaybird
  • Like 1

When I build up a backlog of podcasts, I listen to those while I make gradual progress through Let’s Go, Eevee!. I’ve already gotten a few of the Master Trainer titles, but I can already tell a lot of the traditionally weaker Pokémon will be tough. It’s not enough to level grind, you gotta get them ‘roided up on Candy. It’s literally pointless to try otherwise against, say, the Caterpie Master Trainer.

If I do one or two a day I’m happy.

• Like 1

Been playing Let's Go Pikachu with my son. We're at 2 badges now and about to get on the S. S. Anne.

8 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

Been playing Let's Go Pikachu with my son. We're at 2 badges now and about to get on the S. S. Anne.

That’s about the point where I started to get into the game. Up until then it was a total slog.

• Like 1

Need to figure out how to trade from Pokémon Go to Let's Go, Pikachu. Missing a Alakazam in my party.

11 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

Need to figure out how to trade from Pokémon Go to Let's Go, Pikachu. Missing a Alakazam in my party.

Pokemon Home or get to Fushia City to use the Go Park...or whatever it's called. Just link your Go account to your Switch and you'll have a full Pokedex in no time.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

Pokemon Home or get to Fushia City to use the Go Park...or whatever it's called. Just link your Go account to your Switch and you'll have a full Pokedex in no time.

It’s #$*!ing annoying though. They basically all cluster in one spot and you have to actually catch them and they can run away, which is pointless because you can just try again. It’s a huge waste of time, and it should’ve been one throw and you get it.

• Like 1

Pokedex schmokedex. Didn't do it in Go and won't be doing it here. Alakazam is a favorite and my sons are wondering when our level 40 Kadabra will evolve. Uh, never. So, I'll transfer over either my Kadabra or just my Alakazam. Looking on the app I've opened once in 2 years, apparently I caught them 3+ years ago. I barely remember those days.
It’s #$*!ing annoying though. They basically all cluster in one spot and you have to actually catch them and they can run away, which is pointless because you can just try again. It’s a huge waste of time, and it should’ve been one throw and you get it.
Damn!

I transferred over a few & quit. The kids liked what they had, so no real need. You're right, it was unnecessarily harder than it had to be.

Caught Mewtwo today. Guess that 5 minute timer works like a football play at the end of the game. My son and I had totally written off beating him the first time as we were nowhere after 3 minutes. Then with about 3 seconds left we pressed A for the last time. Our attacks both went off after the 0:00 time, but we beat him on the 2nd blow and immediately went to capture mode. Threw our Master Ball, which in a hilarious move he batted away like it was an annoying bug. But it got him nonetheless. My sons were absolutely in awe of having him. Went and beat Green to get her Mega evolutions and then a couple gym leaders again to use them.

We might be done now. Not too sure how much more the kids want to play. Not much left to do other than level. Tried one master trainer and it was embarrassingly a one-round defeat. They're not in for that and neither am I. Damn,@eal that's some dedication to do that!

35 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

I transferred over a few & quit. The kids liked what they had, so no real need. You're right, it was unnecessarily harder than it had to be.

Caught Mewtwo today. Guess that 5 minute timer works like a football play at the end of the game. My son and I had totally written off beating him the first time as we were nowhere after 3 minutes. Then with about 3 seconds left we pressed A for the last time. Our attacks both went off after the 0:00 time, but we beat him on the 2nd blow and immediately went to capture mode. Threw our Master Ball, which in a hilarious move he batted away like it was an annoying bug. But it got him nonetheless. My sons were absolutely in awe of having him. Went and beat Green to get her Mega evolutions and then a couple gym leaders again to use them.

We might be done now. Not too sure how much more the kids want to play. Not much left to do other than level. Tried one master trainer and it was embarrassingly a one-round defeat. They're not in for that and neither am I. Damn,@eal that's some dedication to do that!

It’s actually not too tough! There’s a trick. On the second floor of Cerulean Cave, if you use a Max Lure, Chansey will pop up, and if you get a decent combo string going plus a few other multipliers, you can reap crazy exp. I’ve gotten as much as 45,000 exp from a single Chansey, and I’ve seen that it’s possible to get it up to 75,000. Chansey also give out tons of Health Candy this way, so whatever I’m level grinding will often hit their ceiling on health at the very least.

Some of the master trainers have exploits too. My Diglett learned Fissure, a one-hit KO move that can land, so I beat the Diglett and Dugtrio master trainers in 2 minutes. Chansey doesn’t hit hard but I taught it Toxic and it quickly drained the opponent Chansey of health faster than it could heal itself.

• Like 1

Anyone play Pokken Tournament DX on Switch?

Never really thought about that, but my kids saw something about it today while looking up Pokemon perler bead stuff and now of course are dying to get it. They've even agreed to sell Luigi's Mansion to help pay for it. Haha

Oh boy, it may be ON now. Kids saw I had Ultra Moon and since I'd been playing Radiant Historia on my 3DS I sat and showed them the first 30 minutes of Ultra Moon before falling asleep. They played the next hour and are doing well.

Pokémon is an RPG gateway drug.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, eal said:

Pokémon is an RPG gateway drug.

I’d say it was Dragon Quest for his kids. DQ was my intro to RPGs too back with Dragon Warrior Monsters 1 and both 2 games.

Having said that, if Platty’s kids ever want to play a Final Fantasy game now that they are playing more RPGs he may end up disowning them.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Like 1

I’d say it was Dragon Quest for his kids. DQ was my intro to RPGs too back with Dragon Warrior Monsters 1 and both 2 games.
Having said that, if Platty’s kids ever want to play a Final Fantasy game now that they are playing more RPGs he may end up disowning them.
Final Fantasy!? I don't keep that in the house! No chance of accidentally seeing that.

13 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

Final Fantasy!? I don't keep that emoji90.png in the house! No chance of accidentally seeing that.

Give it time. They’ll learn to use the internet to look for games and it will eventually lead them to it. Especially since their dad has introduced them to Square Enix. 😜

“Dad, my favorite game is Final Fantasy XII.” - Platty’s son, probably.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

finally was able to get the shiny Charmander I got into a Charizard in Go yeeeeeaaaaaaahhh

looks like I got the Charmander in December, but yeah

Edited by Fates
  • Like 1

Yo, I get emails from the Pokemon Center store and they have some legit great stuff on there like that. Last year they had a cool Pokemon Christmas train with each piece of the train being its own unique figure.

• Like 1

I started Pokemon Emerald on the GBA. About an hour in. Just as good as I remember. 

• Like 1

Fun times with Emerald on my modded GBA 

387CF1DE-3354-4D0B-A901-61831CD0F656.jpeg

387CF1DE-3354-4D0B-A901-61831CD0F656.thumb.jpeg.8246fe44ab13a5baed8b60f37d664d23.jpeg
That GBA looks like you could throw it in the pool and float on it! It's so bright and pretty!

1 hour ago, cprmauldin said:

387CF1DE-3354-4D0B-A901-61831CD0F656.jpeg

Does that GBA have a backlight/lit screen like the GBA SP?