Cairne Gotha

Pokemans!

19 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

They're all just nameless tool, like my demons in Strange Journey.

spacer.png

Wait. Abra, Kadabra, & Alakazam aren't in the game? Ugh.

Wait. Abra, Kadabra, & Alakazam aren't in the game? Ugh.
Get used to that feeling.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I still remember how much of a nightmare trying to complete the Pokédex was in Gen 3 and 4. I finally finished Gen 4 last year after over 200 hours, and even then I took a shortcut and did online trading back when it was still a thing for those games. As for Gen 3, there were some Pokémon you could only get through Pokémon Colosseum or XD, which required a GameCube and GameBoy Advance Player. I never did Gen 5 so I don’t have a frame of reference on the challenge to complete a Pokédex for that generation. For generation 6, I don’t know about X/Y (though I think some you could only get from transferring from older games), but I read that you can complete the Pokédex with just ORAS. I remember playing Omega Ruby and doing all this weird #$*! to catch a cartoonish number of legendaries through various strange methods and thinking to myself, “this is untenable.” There were just too many Pokémon.  Cutting the Pokédex in half, removing nearly every older legendary, and making it so that you can complete it with just Sword and Shield, takes me back to the simplicity of the first two generations. Nearly all my favorites are gone, and I wish they had included at least one starter from each generation, but I’m finding myself enjoying filling my Pokédex.

And I’m not some fanboy apologist sucking off Game Freak. I didn’t really have much fun with Omega Ruby despite being a remake of a game I love, I’ve grown to really dislike X/Y, and I didn’t touch Moon all that much, but I get really excited just thinking about jumping back into Shield when I’m not playing it. Maybe my opinion will change over time, but I’m enjoying it a lot more than I have some of the more recent games.

P.S. I’m aware people would hypothetically complete the Pokédex in Sword and Shield by transferring Pokémon from their older games, but I’m of the opinion that this method of completion should be considered a shortcut for people that can, so this wouldn’t resolve the situation of integrating 800-900 Pokémon into Sword and Shield as Pokémon that you can capture and evolve from within just the two games, which, as I mentioned seemed like a nightmare in ORAS.

Edited by eal
  • Like 1

I still remember how much of a nightmare trying to complete the Pokédex was in Gen 3 and 4. I finally finished Gen 4 last year after over 200 hours, and even then I took a shortcut and did online trading back when it was still a thing for those games. As for Gen 3, there were some Pokémon you could only get through Pokémon Colosseum or XD, which required a GameCube and GameBoy Advance Player. I never did Gen 5 so I don’t have a frame of reference on the challenge to complete a Pokédex for that generation. For generation 6, I don’t know about X/Y (though I think some you could only get from transferring from older games), but I read that you can complete the Pokédex with just ORAS. I remember playing Omega Ruby and doing all this weird #$*! to catch a cartoonish number of legendaries through various strange methods and thinking to myself, “this is untenable.” There were just too many Pokémon.  Cutting the Pokédex in half, removing nearly every older legendary, and making it so that you can complete it with just Sword and Shield, takes me back to the simplicity of the first two generations. Nearly all my favorites are gone, and I wish they had included at least one starter from each generation, but I’m finding myself enjoying filling my Pokédex.
And I’m not some fanboy apologist sucking off Game Freak. I didn’t really have much fun with Omega Ruby despite being a remake of a game I love, I’ve grown to really dislike X/Y, and I didn’t touch Moon all that much, but I get really excited just thinking about jumping back into Shield when I’m not playing it. Maybe my opinion will change over time, but I’m enjoying it a lot more than I have some of the more recent games.
P.S. I’m aware people would hypothetically complete the Pokédex in Sword and Shield by transferring Pokémon from their older games, but I’m of the opinion that this method of completion should be considered a shortcut for people that can, so this wouldn’t resolve the situation of integrating 800-900 Pokémon into Sword and Shield as Pokémon that you can capture and evolve from within just the two games, which, as I mentioned seemed like a nightmare in ORAS.
You didn't have to complete the pokedex. It was always an optional challenge after they dropped the catch em all tag.

This was a solution to a problem that never really existed. Now we just have a game that, to me, feels too small-scale for what should have been a Breath of the Wild level of huge.

16 minutes ago, AustNerevar said:

You didn't have to complete the pokedex. It was always an optional challenge after they dropped the catch em all tag.

This was a solution to a problem that never really existed. Now we just have a game that, to me, feels too small-scale for what should have been a Breath of the Wild level of huge.

I’ve never in my life seen someone refer to the main draw of the game as an optional challenge. Every game starts with a character telling you that this is the end goal of your journey.

I’ve never in my life seen someone refer to the main draw of the game as an optional challenge. Every game starts with a character telling you that this is the end goal of your journey.
I once got all 150 in FireRed. Back in the GBC/GBA days when I got all monsters in DWM2 also. I think it was ~312. That was... 2006ish (check my signature). I've literally never felt such a desire again.

That honestly stopped being the main draw a long time ago. As I said, there was a reason why they stopped saying Gotta Catch Em All. And it was optional from the very beginning though it was more of just an extended post game for the first few gens.

7 minutes ago, AustNerevar said:

That honestly stopped being the main draw a long time ago. As I said, there was a reason why they stopped saying Gotta Catch Em All. And it was optional from the very beginning though it was more of just an extended post game for the first few gens.

Collecting Pokémon and completing a Pokédex was always the end goal of every game. It’s the mission statement of the whole franchise. Just because they don’t brand games with “Gotta Catch ‘Em All” anymore doesn’t mean that’s stopped being the case (they briefly brought that tag line back with X/Y). It’s optional in the sense that it’s not required to beat the story, but I haven’t met a person in my life that plays Pokémon for the story, especially when it comes to Gen 6-8.

Edited by eal

Collecting Pokémon and completing a Pokédex was always the end goal of every game. It’s optional in the sense that it’s not required to beat the story, but I haven’t met a person in my life that plays Pokémon for the story, especially when it comes to Gen 6-8.
I was about to raise my hand, but then I realized I don't. The last 4 generations have been about rolling credits, pure & simple. Nothing more. Meh story and never seriously attempted to catch many/most/all.

42 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

I was about to raise my hand, but then I realized I don't. The last 4 generations have been about rolling credits, pure & simple. Nothing more. Meh story and never seriously attempted to catch many/most/all.

(cue eal saying play Pokémon Mystery Dungeon Explorers of Sky if you want story in a Pokémon game)

I’ve never seen capturing every creature as the end goal of any of the games. Once you beat the Elite 4 it’s up to you on what you want to do. Train teams to battle friends or online, explore new areas that open up, tackle a Battle Frontier equivalent, or if you are inclined, get all the Pokémon. The end goal beyond defeating the Elite Four is up to the player.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

(cue eal saying play Pokémon Mystery Dungeon Explorers of Sky if you want story in a Pokémon game)

I’ve never seen capturing every creature as the end goal of any of the games. Once you beat the Elite 4 it’s up to you on what you want to do. Train teams to battle friends or online, explore new areas that open up, tackle a Battle Frontier equivalent, or if you are inclined, get all the Pokémon you can.

Saying capturing every Pokémon is the end goal of every game is silly when there really isn’t an end goal beyond defeating the Elite Four. Once you do that, you can do whatever for the rest of the game.

Play Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky if you want a good story in a Pokémon game, and I mean that unironically.

The reason I say it’s the end goal is because the leading voice of Pokémon in whatever region you’re playing gives you this task, he will rate you on your current progress whenever you speak to him, and when you finish it, Game Freak in-game gives you a certificate congratulating you for doing so.

There are obviously other draws to the main series, but none of them besides finishing the story has a clear-cut conclusion. Battling your friends and all that. Collecting shinies, creating a living Dex, Nuzlockes, and min/maxing and breeding are goals created by fans to stretch their time with it as far as it can go or to get the most out of playing Pokémon based on what draws them to it. But the main selling point, and what the game asks of you, is collecting every Pokémon.

Just because it's the end goal for you and your friends doesn't mean it is for everybody. Nobody I know attempts to catch them all anymore.

And the sentiment I've seen on the net reflects this tbh. Pokedex has turned into a completionist thing.

Changing topic apparently there is a random mouse cursor in the end credits.

Its in this video:

As well as this one at around 12:20

What the hell GF? So I'm guessing they rendered the cutscene in whatever CAD software they use, but instead of exporting it to a file they used screencap software? And on top of that left cursor capture on??

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, AustNerevar said:

Just because it's the end goal for you and your friends doesn't mean it is for everybody. Nobody I know attempts to catch them all anymore.

And the sentiment I've seen on the net reflects this tbh. Pokedex has turned into a completionist thing.

...because there were so many Pokémon in the game that completing it became untenable. By shrinking the number of Pokémon by more than half, it became an achievable goal again.

This isn’t a “me” thing. The game tells you to complete the Pokédex within the first hour and Game Freak rewards you for doing so when you do. Just because people don’t want to do it doesn’t mean it’s not the path the game sets for you. If other people don’t want to complete the Pokédex and want to challenge themselves in some other way then that’s fine, but aside from defeating the Elite Four, their really isn’t any other goal in most games than to finish the Pokédex.

The only game I can think of that wasn’t a complete genre change spin-off where that isn’t the case are those recent Let’s Go games, where you can pretty much Just dump every Kanto Pokémon into the game from Pokémon Go before you even finish the story. In that case, it’s more about defeating all the Master Trainers. So I’ll give you that one, but aside from that, I personally think my point still stands.

10 hours ago, eal said:

I never nickname Pokemon either but I’m feeling pretty casual with this playthrough so I thought I’d experiment because people say they’re closer with their Pokemon when they’ve given them nicknames.

I never nickname either, though not because I consider them tools. I changed up this time though, and I've given nicknames to quite a few of my mons. 

Also, get used to seeing Hop. And a few others.

16 hours ago, eal said:

Started Shield a couple hours ago. One thing I didn’t like about Y was how you couldn’t enter a town or walk around a route without your rival or some other random person halting your progress. I’m hoping that this is just early stuff and I won’t see much of Hop soon.

I’m nicknaming everything I catch, because what better way to remember Pokemon names like giving them new names lol.

When I was a kid I'd only nickname a few but I've gotten into the habit of trying to nickname each one lately. I was so creative back in the day with my nicknames...a Ferligatr that I cloned 5 times called Killer, a Togetic named Flyer, a Gyrados named Beamer. Now I just do stuff like naming my male Cutiefly, Dude (Dudifly...get it?).

9 hours ago, Sword_of_Dusk said:

I never nickname either, though not because I consider them tools. I changed up this time though, and I've given nicknames to quite a few of my mons. 

Also, get used to seeing Hop. And a few others.

2 hours ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

When I was a kid I'd only nickname a few but I've gotten into the habit of trying to nickname each one lately. I was so creative back in the day with my nicknames...a Ferligatr that I cloned 5 times called Killer, a Togetic named Flyer, a Gyrados named Beamer. Now I just do stuff like naming my male Cutiefly, Dude (Dudifly...get it?).

I've never really been interested in nicknaming. Mostly because for all my life I've identified specific Pokemon by their species name, both in the TCG and the video games. 

I've got nothing against it though. 

• Like 1

Most of my nicknames are references.

Axel (Cinderace)- Named after Axel from KH.

Lancelot (Corviknight)- Arthurian legend, and famous knight.

Galahad (Sirfetch'd)- Same as above.

Roxie (Toxtricity)- Named for the Virbank City gym leader in B2/W2.

Misako (Pangoro)- Named after Misako from River City Girls. Would've been called Bancho had it been a male.

That's just a few of my nicknamed mons.

• Like 1

I remember nicknaming Pigey to something obnoxious every time I caught one. I think one time all I did was name it “BIRD!!!” and another time it was “SQUWAK!”

Did the same with Zubat. I think it was in SoulSilver I named it “REEEEEEEE,” because of how much you encounter them. Personally I’ve always liked Zubat and it’s evolutions, but it was funny nevertheless.

My current team’s nicknames are:

Hopper (Raboot), which sucks because your rival is named Hop...

Woolie (Wooloo), named after Woolie from Two Best Friends Play

Noir (Duskull)

Dig Dug (Diggersby)

Zeb (Linoone)

Kitsune (Thievul)

My team is:

Lady (Arcanine)

Groovy Boi (Ludicolo)

Death Baloon (Drifblim)

Dimitri (Inteleon) after the Sly Cooper character 

Slob (Swinub) part Weezer song, part him being a pig

Dumbo (Cufant)

Other nicknames I've used:

Captain Snap (Dreadnaw)- It's a snapping turtle, or based on one.

Carmen (Thievul)- Named for Carmen Sandiego. Thievul kinda looks too gentlemanly for the name though, unlike Nickit.

Alena (Tsareena)- If you guys can't figure that one out, I'd be shocked.

Daisy (Eldegoss)- Just a flower name. Nothing special. 

Feedback (Boltund)- Generic electric term.

Rockstar (G. Zigzagoon)- Come on, you can see why.

Cap. America (Rufflet)- When it evolves, it'll be America's bird.

I’ve been naming Tyrogue after fighting game characters. The two I have so far are Terry and Ryu. Others include: Bumble (Snover), Patty (Krabby, get it?), Drillby (Drilbur, a pun on drill and trilby hats), and Dinary (Rolycoly, because he looks like ore, as in, ore-dinary). One weird one is I named a Natu Shiei, because Hiei from YuYu Hakusho has a third eye, but the one I caught is female, so she’s Shiei.