Cairne Gotha

Pokemans!

Them not making more Pokémon would 100% be worse than a mixture of previous generations of Pokémon. Fans wouldn’t be happy about it, it would kill interest with each subsequent game without new Pokémon, and they would be leaving millions of dollars on the table in merchandising. A lot of the pre-release hype is built around seeing new Pokémon. As soon as I stopped seeing Scottish memes about the new protagonist, they had their Pokémon Direct and now people are going nuts over Wooloo and the newly revealed legendaries.
Well they can't keep making them indefinitely. If this is the solution to the ever-ballooning number of pokes then it's cost is too high for me. It feels a bit like throwing the baby out with the bathwater to ditch old Pokes simply so they may add new ones.

This argument, I feel though, us rather moot. They should just delay the game till Spring. Or at least add support in for all Pokes later once the Home app releases. Instead they're making it their official policy for all games going forward that they won't have all Pokemon.

I'm really not trying to sound like a stubborn old fool but this has made me reconsider if I even want to continue playing. I'll be frank, the games haven't been holding my interest in a long ass time. The remakes always appeal to my sense of nostalgia and the only reason I seem to play the new entries is so I can get to the post game and transfer all of my legacy teams to take online.

I don't know if it's my age but I find almost all of the new designs since X & Y to be less interesting/forgettable. Maybe I just don't like Pokemon anymore except for the old games or maybe there has been some decline in quality in the art designs for the mons...

But it's like this change has totally crushed what remaining enthusiasm I had for the series. Which is sad for a game that's been a part of my life since I was 10.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, AustNerevar said:

Well they can't keep making them indefinitely. If this is the solution to the ever-ballooning number of pokes then it's cost is too high for me. It feels a bit like throwing the baby out with the bathwater to ditch old Pokes simply so they may add new ones.

This argument, I feel though, us rather moot. They should just delay the game till Spring. Or at least add support in for all Pokes later once the Home app releases. Instead they're making it their official policy for all games going forward that they won't have all Pokemon.

I'm really not trying to sound like a stubborn old fool but this has made me reconsider if I even want to continue playing. I'll be frank, the games haven't been holding my interest in a long ass time. The remakes always appeal to my sense of nostalgia and the only reason I seem to play the new entries is so I can get to the post game and transfer all of my legacy teams to take online.

I don't know if it's my age but I find almost all of the new designs since X & Y to be less interesting/forgettable. Maybe I just don't like Pokemon anymore except for the old games or maybe there has been some decline in quality in the art designs for the mons...

But it's like this change has totally crushed what remaining enthusiasm I had for the series. Which is sad for a game that's been a part of my life since I was 10.

That's the thing about long-time series, eventually they will disappoint & people move on. You're not the target audience any longer, 10 year-olds are. I started playing Pokemon in my mid-20s after it'd been out a while. I played them like any other RPG: beat the game, sell it on eBay, so yeah, I have zero nostalgia for the series other than I enjoy each game as it is and soon pass along to something else, no game ever takes me more than 30 days and with their around Thanksgiving entries, I can't recall a title I have played recently into the next calendar year.  In fact I try hard to beat them quickly to sell and get that high resale value before Christmas!  I've heard lots of people like you that feel the series is declining, and possibly it is or possibly it's just not changing anymore and what was once cute 20 years ago isn't anymore, so yeah the nostalgia factor is high and nothing new really sparks an interest. Honestly I couldn't tell you more than a handful of Pokemon names past Gen 1 either, so I'm with you there on new designs: completely unmemorable.

I feel like that’s one argument in favor of cutting some Pokémon from future games. Cutting out unmemorable Pokemon, some of the gimmicky ones with crazy requirements for evolution (Feebas and Milotic, for example).

Regardless, in terms of quality Pokémon is probably one of the most yoyo-ing franchises in video games. Pokémon is like The Simpsons: everyone says hey love it, but they probably only really, genuinely love one or two generations (or, in The Simpsons case, seasons).  The original games aren’t good, quiet honestly, and the designs as presented in the games are hideous. Gen 1 being unbalanced and buggy as hell is well known, but it gets a pass for being the first and developed by a small team. Gen 3 had an incredibly convoluted National Dex (in which you couldn’t get every Pokémon without like 4 different games and a GameCube and Pokemon Colosseum). Gen 4, oh, my God, literally the worst requirements for catching or evolving new Pokémon ever with ridiculous gimmicks.

That's the least of our concerns now.

5 minutes ago, AustNerevar said:

That's the least of our concerns now.

After reading the last few posts, I can see that. Still, this is the Pokémon topic, and that article popped up in my news feed. So I figured I’d share it.

While I appreciated that a predominant number mega evolutions were Gen 3, I felt it was kinda gimmicky and I’m not all that surprised that it isn’t making the jump into the next gen.

So apparently there are Pokémon fans who are so dissapointed with Pokémon Sword & Shield that they are making a comparison video between Pokémon Sword & Shield and Dragon Quest XI S.

Whilst I'm personally not a fan of Pokémon, I do feel for Pokémon fans.

The thing that’s throwing me about this whole kerfuffle is that, up to this point, Pokémon fans mostly accepted features being added and stripped out, the slow pace of evolution, for lack of a better word, in the franchise’s graphics and quality of life improvements and all the other stuff inherent in modern games. Now this is the last straw and everyone’s grievances are being aired like its Festivus. 

I guess I don't understand a single complaint about graphics. It's a freaking Gameboy game that's made tiny improvements each generation. They basically said to the 3DS for years, releasing on the DS for a bit after everyone else upgraded. They remade the first game for the billionth time for the first Switch version. I mean, this is what the series does. Maybe if people are really mad they should play other games.

I guess I don't understand a single complaint about graphics. It's a freaking Gameboy game that's made tiny improvements each generation. They basically said to the 3DS for years, releasing on the DS for a bit after everyone else upgraded. They remade the first game for the billionth time for the first Switch version. I mean, this is what the series does. Maybe if people are really mad they should play other games.
Well, to be fair, I hear people saying they want to get Dragon Quest XI S and try it out after seeing the comparison between Dragon Quest XI S & Pokémon Sword & Shield.

Just now, Dakhil said:
8 hours ago, Plattym3 said:
I guess I don't understand a single complaint about graphics. It's a freaking Gameboy game that's made tiny improvements each generation. They basically said emoji867.png to the 3DS for years, releasing on the DS for a bit after everyone else upgraded. They remade the first game for the billionth time for the first Switch version. I mean, this is what the series does. Maybe if people are really mad they should play other games.

Well, to be fair, I hear people saying they want to get Dragon Quest XI S and try it out after seeing the comparison between Dragon Quest XI S & Pokémon Sword & Shield.

Great news!

So in light of the National Dex announcement, I've decided to complete the Alola Dex in Ultra Sun, which will also serve as an archive of sorts for events and old party members since Black 2 and so on.

So far, nearly all the remaining pages have been filled by GTS trading, although I did have to actively evolve some boxed 'mons.

First time I've actively tried to fill a regional dex since Emerald, and I just need six Pokemon for a complete Hoenn dex.

• Like 1

Wow, I didn't know there was so much turmoil about Sword and Shield. There are some HARDCORE Pokemon Fans out there, and they seem to be pretty divided. While I've always considered myself a fan of Pokemon, I've never been super hardcore into the video games. I have played and beaten most of them. But some of the core fanbase will play and play and play doing things that I have never even dabbled in. 

I am absolutely going to get Sword or Shield because while I have varying levels of love for each release, I have yet to be truly disappointed. 

That being said, I hope Poke-fans find a way to love the games, since they have so much vested in the series. 

while I have varying levels of love for each release, I have yet to be truly disappointed. 

True. Nor especially enthralled enough to do post game. It's a good series I enjoy, but don't spend much time with.

Alola Dex completed!

And to think that blasted Goodra would be the last one I needed, and additionally, had to level up (with the aid of Poni Plains Chansey/Blissey encounters), since I could find no good GTS offers for it.

Now that I have the Shiny Charm, I kinda want to breed Chikoritas and Wonder Trade them until I get a shiny one.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

True. Nor especially enthralled enough to do post game. It's a good series I enjoy, but don't spend much time with.

Precisely. 

And I suppose I end up lacking in disappointment because I go in lacking in expectation or anticipation for such things. 

• Like 1

New Regional Forms are a thing.

That Galarian Weezing is A+ lol. Also like that Linoone seemingly has an evolution exclusive to his Galarian form and that there’s a Pokémon who has a “hangry” form.

That Galarian Weezing is A+ lol. Also like that Linoone seemingly has an evolution exclusive to his Galarian form and that there’s a Pokémon who has a “hangry” form.
I thought Galarian Weezing was even more ridiculous than Alolan Golem.

I like the new look for Zigzagoon and Linoone. I remember thinking a black and white version of Zig would be cool way back when I played Ruby. Neat to see Linoone has an evolution too in the new region.

Weezing....I’m not gonna lie, that was a funny look. The fancy mustaches and the top hat chimneys were pretty funny. It’s the sophisticated poison Pokémon.

28 minutes ago, AustNerevar said:

I thought Galarian Weezing was even more ridiculous than Alolan Golem.

Second coming of Alolan Exeggutor.

I like how all these regional forms just add mustaches and beards.

Edited by eal
  • Like 1

Second coming of Alolan Exeggutor.
I like how all these regional forms just add mustaches and beards.
They should jack up the teeth pretty bad.

Love the new Weezing. He's become one of my favorites lately and that form is hilarious. I might end up picking up Sword on release day...I had been on the fence.