Cairne Gotha

Pokemans!

Yeah, usually I'm here to post stuff too :P I'm just curious becausd you called it a live battle, but I haven't heard anything announcement-related. Were they just planning to show off a battle to highlight differences in Ultra's engine?

^ What was it? I hadn't seen any announcement of anything. 

Nothing due to tech difficulties. They may reveal something tomorrow or else do a mini direct to make up for it. When new information comes you know I'll be around to post it

From what I garnered, it was just a live battle demo. I don't think they were planning on revealing anything new with it.

Edited by Stepchan

Alright, interesting! Haven't heard anyone talking about that, I guess they were quiet about it.

The point of the battle was to demonstrate the new tweaks to Ultra Sun and Moon while building up hype for the games. In terms of reveals, nothing explicitly new due to be revealed but we had the opportunity to gain further insight into what has been revealed, such as the new Z moves or Ultra Beasts, Burst and Assembly. What really made the battle more interesting was that the two guys who were to face off are the ones who help design the more competitive aspect of the games, including Mega Slowbro's stat distribution, meaning we could expect not only a good battle but a showcase of something we may have overlooked from the pass leaks.

^

I was admittedly still waking up and waiting on an episode on Saturday morning when the stream was happening.

I only really found out about the crashes during it from anons on /vp/. I only really took a few quick looks at it.

Urgh, the Ruby board is the worst. It's so difficult since it's so small and it's hard to get the pinball around the board to initiate Catch 'Em Mode or evolve a Pokémon. I managed to catch Torchic but not evolve it further. It sucks too because most of the starters can only be caught on the Ruby board.

New trailer

Hm. Seems like it's mixing in new characters and villains among the old story. I still can't quite tell if it's a third version or a sequel. It almost seems like it's somewhere in the middle...

The new stuff looks really cool, though!

Hm. Seems like it's mixing in new characters and villains among the old story. I still can't quite tell if it's a third version or a sequel. It almost seems like it's somewhere in the middle...

Third version. It's pretty much just like Platinum.

New trailer

I haven't played Sun and Moon, so I am thoroughly excited for this release :)

• Upvote 1

Glad you all keep posting. I almost forgot to cancel my order. This topic and getting an email from Amazon about EOV's date reminded me to do so. I'm sure it'll be neat, but I'm not enough of a fan to play an enchanted edition 1 year later.

English trailer

I have officially cleared Heartgold's main and post game at the requirements I set. Having cleared all of Kanto, fought the Elite 4 rematch and Red, gotten both a Kanto and Hoenn starter and caught Kyorge(which was caught in one Heavy Ball, that was fast).

I will be keeping the file going in case I want to do any full odds shiny hunts on it.

Edited by Stepchan

Glad you all keep posting. I almost forgot to cancel my order. This topic and getting an email from Amazon about EOV's date reminded me to do so. I'm sure it'll be neat, but I'm not enough of a fan to play an enchanted edition 1 year later.

They totally should have called it Pokemon Sun & Moon: Enchanted Edition.

• Upvote 1

Smart choice. If you aren't that big of a fan, your money is better spent elsewhere.

New releases and full remakes I really enjoy. But I'm not out to catch them all or get a Shiney or IV train. Or really do much post game. Atlus has my attention this coming year. DQ got me with 3 new games last year. Enjoyed Sun & Moon. Will enjoy the next.

"Thank you all for reminding me to cancel my order of this game you're talking about."

"Thank you all for reminding me to cancel my order of this game you're talking about."
Yep. Got distracted, didn't do it.

New releases and full remakes I really enjoy. But I'm not out to catch them all or get a Shiney or IV train. Or really do much post game. Atlus has my attention this coming year. DQ got me with 3 new games last year. Enjoyed Sun & Moon. Will enjoy the next.

I don't bother trying to catch 'em all either. At best I might try to fill a regional Pokédex, but not the national one.

As for shinies, actually trying to actively get one is a fool's errand. The random chance of getting one is just too low. I've only ever caught three or four myself.

Lastly, you don't have too much of a say in IVs without massive breeding sessions and the help of a specific item, which I believe is the Destiny Knot. EVs are much easier to manipulate.

The fact I have no clue about the difference between EV & IV... Trying to recall if I even knew there where 2 things.

As Pokémon games get easier for the layman, they get more complicated for the hardcore obsessive.

• Upvote 1

The fact I have no clue about the difference between EV & IV... Trying to recall if I even knew there where 2 things.

I don't blame you if you didn't. It's really something only competitive battlers bear in mind, and the only reason I know is because I wanted to know just in case I decided to get into the competitive circle. Anyway, if you're curious:

IV: IVs, or Individual Values, are hidden stats that every Pokémon has. They range from 0 to 31 in each stat, and cannot be changed without resorting to cheating devices.

At level 100, each IV adds one point to the corresponding stat, barring some skewing from Nature. That means up to 31 points per stat (again, ignoring Nature). As stats scale with level, you'll get less effect at lower levels; for instance, at level 50, it takes two IVs to make one stat point.

EV: EVs, or Effort Values, are another hidden stat that indicate the Pokémon's training. Defeating enemy Pokémon, eating Vitamins, going through Super Training... these are all ways to gain EVs.

You have much more control of EVs than IVs, but there are limitations upon them. Most notably, Pokémon are limited to 252 EVs per stat, and 510 EVs across all six.

EVs only matter in groups of 4. At level 100, ignoring skewing by Nature, each set of four EVs applied to the same stat adds 1 to the stat. The maximum of 252 EVs comes to 63 stat points, and 510 EVs all around means 127 are available between all six of your stats (and two EVs are useless, which can be considered insurance from screwing up slightly). Again, lower levels scale this and nature skews it.

That's a basic explanation.

Ok, that IV explanation is exactly what I recall, but yeah, EV is completely something new to me. Interesting.

EVs matter quite a lot in the competitive scene. A Blaziken with 252 EVs in Attack is gonna hit quite a bit harder than one that doesn't have those EVs, which could be the difference between an OHKO or a 2HKO.

I have another fan project to share with you guys, though it's a ROM Hack this time: Pokémon Gaia Version!

https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=326118

Definitely give this one a try, as it is pretty good. One of the better hacks I've played for sure.

• Upvote 1