Cairne Gotha

Pokemans!

New trailer from early today

Japanese trailer

I won't go into a super deep analysis but it seems these are the changes

1. Mini has her own trial
  2. Expanded Alolan dex (more Pokemon available in game is nice)
  3. Mantine surfer
  4. Necrozma comes out of a wormhole

Two biggest things for me:

-Mantine surfing looks fun.

-My boys Mareep and Larvitar are gonna be around! Ampharos and Tyranitar are a go, baby!

All these new features sound like updates you'd patch into an existing game over time, not include as features on a brand new $40 version of a game that came out like a year ago.

• Upvote 1

All these new features sound like updates you'd patch into an existing game over time, not include as features on a brand new $40 version of a game that came out like a year ago.

This is Game Freak you're talking about; the company that barely tried to innovate the series until Sun and Moon came along. Of course they'll stick to doing it the way they were used to.

And no, I'm not defending that. They really need to get with the times.

This is Game Freak you're talking about; the company that barely tried to innovate the series until Sun and Moon came along. Of course they'll stick to doing it the way they were used to.

It's like it's their company culture. The bugs are more legendary in the originals then the actual legendary Pokémon. No matter how big they get, they continue to develop games like amateurs.

It's like it's their company culture. The bugs are more legendary in the originals then the actual legendary Pokémon. No matter how big they get, they continue to develop games like amateurs.

You think they'd at least try to make bigger strides in improving.

It's rather impressive how many Trails quotes can be used for different situations.

A recent press release reveals some new information

The island challenge returns but this time some of the challenges will be different and there is a new additional trial. As players work through the island challenge they will be confronted with trouble involving the legendary pokemon Necrozma. Trainers will meet mysterious people and pokemon as they witness the new dangers closing in on the Alola region.

In Ultra Sun and Moon you can ride the waves on the vast ocean thanks to the brand new mantine surf. Mantine surf isn't just a way to go between the islands of Alola, but it also is a sport in its own right with trainers competing for the highest score by pulling off a variety of radical moves.

Become a pro and pull off some super cool tricks across alola's sea with mantine surf.
When players take photos with their pokemon, the pokemon will become more affectionate towards them

It's rather impressive how many Trails quotes can be used for different situations.

About halfway through I started pausing at each screen to read and think of a scenario if I could use that quote. For those of you who this annoys, don't worry, a couple more weeks and those photos will be too far enough down my recent photos list for me to bother pulling them up. Besides, I'm easily distracted.

I'd debate that changes started becoming noticable with 6th Gen.

I havent played Sun or Moon but I remember X and Y being pretty decent.

X and Y were a huge technical leap forward but the game was practically falling apart as you played it because it wasn't optimized well for the hardware.

The games themselves were fine but I didn't appreciate the hand holding and running into your 90 different friends in every town.

The hand holding was annoying at times but I got over it. I'm the type of player that over-prepared for Gyms anyway so this was ultimately just a time-saver for me.

The friends I actually liked. Less the one that was about the dancing pokemon cause he was a bore.

But the other ones I remember being decent.

I got tired of your friends in Pokemon basically always being POKEDEX and POKEMON BATTLES.

That got old really fast and the one in Gen 4 was especially awful.

At least Bianca in Gen 5 was an attempt to flesh out a friend character and giving her a personality.

And the friends in Gen 6 were an attempt to do the same thing. Since Shauna was all about making friends and Calum/Serena were interested in Mega Evolution and not just challenging you over and over. Tho that did eventually happen.

I admittedly liked just having another Pokemon Generation which didnt take itself too seriously.

Edit: Oops. Didnt realize I started rambling. My apologies. XD

Edited by Tesla

Gen 6 is...lacking in a few places. I haven't run across many fans who like it over other generations. And it was still the same old game, just with a few extra things here and there. Sun and Moon is where they finally did something a little different.

The hand holding was annoying at times but I got over it. I'm the type of player that over-prepared for Gyms anyway so this was ultimately just a time-saver for me.

The friends I actually liked. Less the one that was about the dancing pokemon cause he was a bore.

But the other ones I remember being decent.

I got tired of your friends in Pokemon basically always being POKEDEX and POKEMON BATTLES.

That got old really fast and the one in Gen 4 was especially awful.

At least Bianca in Gen 5 was an attempt to flesh out a friend character and giving her a personality.

And the friends in Gen 6 were an attempt to do the same thing. Since Shauna was all about making friends and Calum/Serena were interested in Mega Evolution and not just challenging you over and over. Tho that did eventually happen.

I admittedly liked just having another Pokemon Generation which didnt take itself too seriously.

Edit: Oops. Didnt realize I started rambling. My apologies. XD

I know your levels for the Pokémon League vary with each game (gen 3 you can average about level 45 and be good, I once beat gen 1 remake with level 35+ Pokémon), but I have level 80 Pokemon in gen 6. Wtf? It was incredibly easy to level up.

By handholding I'm referring to not being able to go into another town without bumping into another friend and having them drag you around. I miss caves. They could've kept them without having Flash. I miss TMs that could only be used once. I miss HMs that couldn't be forgotten without talking to a guy. I miss a lot of features that got cut.

Edited by eal

I wasn't that high in my X playthrough. I was roughly around the Champion's levels. I bounced between having the Exp. Share on and off, though.

Sun and Moon inverts it a bit by using scaling experience, which makes it harder to level to 100. It's actually the only real criticism I have towards the games. The Battle Buffet really could have used a Blissey trainer and the route connected to the Battle Tree could have used Chansey as one of the random encounter possibilities(I find the Champion defense matches to drag on a little too long).

The main reason for this is because of Hyper Training, which requires Pokemon to be at level 100. I was able to cushion it a little bit with Rare Candies via Pickup, but still.

Edited by Stepchan

I can't recall if I've mentioned this game before, but I'm looking forward to Phoenix Rising more than USUM. Makes me wish GF would look at some of these fan projects for inspiration.

https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=351035

Game looks damn good.

Wow. Actual changes to Pokemon that dont suck. I'm already interested.

Hope it actually gets finished. : )

The Pokémon fangame community makes fantastic stuff; if you're a fan of the Pokémon series and haven't checked out at least a few fangames and ROM hacks, PLEASE do. Pokémon Uranium is my personal favorite, and I'd recommend it to all fans of the series. There are lots of other cool fangames for the series as well. I've had my eye on Phoenix Rising, it looks good!

Edited by gooieooie
  • Upvote 1

I can't recall if I've mentioned this game before, but I'm looking forward to Phoenix Rising more than USUM. Makes me wish GF would look at some of these fan projects for inspiration.

https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=351035

Game looks damn good.

Wow! That looks incredible.

Edited by cprmauldin

Been playing like an hour a day of Moon. Maybe I'll actually beat it this year.

• Upvote 1

Here's where the live Ultra Sumo battle will take place

https://go.twitch.tv/nintendoitalia

They had issues during that battle demonstration, it crashed 3 times.

Edited by Stepchan

^ What was it? I hadn't seen any announcement of anything. 

^ What was it? I hadn't seen any announcement of anything. 

Nothing due to tech difficulties. They may reveal something tomorrow or else do a mini direct to make up for it. When new information comes you know I'll be around to post it