Cairne Gotha

Pokemans!

Thank god I already have a Celebi stored in Bank.

So I need some clarification: is Ultra Sun/Moon a sequel game, or an updated version? I haven't followed any news other than what I saw in the direct, and I'm getting mixed signals here. By the sounds of it it's an updated version of Sun/Moon.

So I need some clarification: is Ultra Sun/Moon a sequel game, or an updated version? I haven't followed any news other than what I saw in the direct, and I'm getting mixed signals here. By the sounds of it it's an updated version of Sun/Moon.

Seems to be an updated version with new story elements, locations, and etc. Like the third versions of past generations (Emerald after Ruby and Sapphire, Platinum after Diamond and Pearl, etc.) They actually haven't stated it explicitally, though they used the phrase "Sun and Moon have been powered up", making it seem like a third version kind of deal.

Not gonna lie, I would totally buy Silver and one of the new 3DS games just to get Celebi.

Did I miss something? Are they gonna do the Celebi event again in Silver and Gold? I would buy a copy just to do that, and I already got a Celebi. Get a chance to do an event I missed out on!

I remember the days when we'd all be spreading rumors on how to catch super rare unknown mythical Pokemon. "Beat the Elite Four 100 times!," "Catch all the Unown in alphabetical order!" That's sort of why I appreciated the unique ways you had to catch the Regi Pokémon. "You go there and do this thing and try to decipher the Braille then go to this place and do that."

I just miss when mythical Pokémon were this, well...mythical things that we only heard about in rumors and required all this trickery. Now it's, "mythical Pokémon that was found in code two months ago revealed to be given away online through the month of July."

Edited by eal

^ The Celebi event actually wasn't ever programmed into Gold and Silver at all, so acquiring the GS Ball via hacking or glitches has no use. They'd have to add it back in from Crystal's code. Would be cool though!

What Yangus is talking about is the announcement in today's Direct, where they said that buying Gold or Silver on VC gets you a free Celebi for any Gen 7 game for a limited time.

Pretty sure it was going till next September if I remember right or at least till 2018, so it's not like you only have a month to rush out and get it if you want it.

^ The Celebi event actually wasn't ever programmed into Gold and Silver at all, so acquiring the GS Ball via hacking or glitches has no use. They'd have to add it back in from Crystal's code. Would be cool though!

What Yangus is talking about is the announcement in today's Direct, where they said that buying Gold or Silver on VC gets you a free Celebi for any Gen 7 game for a limited time.

I actually originally had Crystal (dirty thieves) so I assumed that the Celebi event was for all three games.

Seems kind of pointless giving out a Celebi. They gave one out just last year. I do have a newbie friend who is going in a weird release order (played the original Pokémon, playing the newest one) so I could get her to play Silver and she'd be happy to get the Celebi. She'd probably think it's adorable and want it.

Edited by eal

As far as old rumors go, nothing beats the craze that the old truck on the S.S Anne's dock started. God, I remember those days well.

Ultra Sun and Moon is directed by Kazumasa Iwao (The guy who worked on Platinum's battle system) alone the one responsible for the higher ingame AI of Generation 4. Iwao was also responsible for the following :

> game battle design director in SM

> game battle design director in ORAS

> map design director in XY

> worked on general game design in BW2

> worked on ui, map in BW

> worked on trainer teams and the battle subway in BW

Unlike the other key developers and designers on Gamefreak, Iwao is primarily involved in battling mechanics. His last public interview was in 2015 where he talked about his stat choices for Mega Slowbro/Salamence where he influenced the stat distributions of many mons.

USUM has had very little press coverage. Masuda hasn't done the usual round of pre-release interviews about the games and Nintendo don't seem as interested in promoting it like they were for S/M. The only things we've been shown is the Alola Photo Club and the new look trainers, which are probably the most casual-palpable new features in the game.

In a video interview with GameInformer, Iwao demonstrated the Photo Club and said "There are lots more new features that we can't tell you about yet" In the same interview, he said players will want to move their Pokemon from the original S/M, implying that USUM is aimed at people who completed S/M despite not being sequels.

Dusk Lycanroc appears to be geared more competitively than Midday/Midnight forms addressing issues in its relatively low power for the original forms. There was a lot of complaints that Lycanroc was a cop-out competitively.

What does this imply?

Nintendo/GF already know that the game isn't aimed at casual players so they aren't putting too much into the promotion of the game because it won't pay off.

The remaining new features Iwao mentioned aren't interesting enough to the average casual Pokemon fan to feature in Corocoro or to warrant interviews with magazines, meaning they are probably aimed more at dedicated fans.

With Masuda is focusing on Pokemon for the Switch and is leaving Iwao to his own devices. We know this because of the credits and the change in leadership. Naturally they will have their best man for the switch title.

Interesting theory, it does match up with the lack of excitement by normies and casuals on social media, they only care about the Switch games. With the track record of third versions they must know by now that mostly the core fanbase buys them, most social hype only show up during new gens.

It is also interesting to note that this is the first game to introduce new Pokemon to a generation of Pokemon. Ultra Sun and Moon are looking to be top sellers.

Some small things to note from the direct

Meinfoo line is in the Alola Dex

Mantine has Poke Ride gear

Hau stands by Hala against UB Assembly

Lillie got a tiny redesign (she's marginally taller)

Rockruff is #126 in USUM instead of #103

So in short pretty talented guy. ; )

Ultra Sun and Moon is directed by Kazumasa Iwao (The guy who worked on Platinum's battle system) alone the one responsible for the higher ingame AI of Generation 4. Iwao was also responsible for the following :
Unlike the other key developers and designers on Gamefreak, Iwao is primarily involved in battling mechanics. His last public interview was in 2015 where he talked about his stat choices for Mega Slowbro/Salamence where he influenced the stat distributions of many mons.
USUM has had very little press coverage. Masuda hasn't done the usual round of pre-release interviews about the games and Nintendo don't seem as interested in promoting it like they were for S/M. The only things we've been shown is the Alola Photo Club and the new look trainers, which are probably the most casual-palpable new features in the game.
In a video interview with GameInformer, Iwao demonstrated the Photo Club and said "There are lots more new features that we can't tell you about yet" In the same interview, he said players will want to move their Pokemon from the original S/M, implying that USUM is aimed at people who completed S/M despite not being sequels.
Dusk Lycanroc appears to be geared more competitively than Midday/Midnight forms addressing issues in its relatively low power for the original forms. There was a lot of complaints that Lycanroc was a cop-out competitively.
What does this imply?
Nintendo/GF already know that the game isn't aimed at casual players so they aren't putting too much into the promotion of the game because it won't pay off.
The remaining new features Iwao mentioned aren't interesting enough to the average casual Pokemon fan to feature in Corocoro or to warrant interviews with magazines, meaning they are probably aimed more at dedicated fans.
With Masuda is focusing on Pokemon for the Switch and is leaving Iwao to his own devices. We know this because of the credits and the change in leadership. Naturally they will have their best man for the switch title.
Interesting theory, it does match up with the lack of excitement by normies and casuals on social media, they only care about the Switch games. With the track record of third versions they must know by now that mostly the core fanbase buys them, most social hype only show up during new gens.
It is also interesting to note that this is the first game to introduce new Pokemon to a generation of Pokemon. Ultra Sun and Moon are looking to be top sellers.

Well...I certainly consider myself casual when it comes to the Pokemon franchise.

I haven't played anything since Alpha Sapphire, but want to try Sun/Moon. I figured the timing of US/UM would fall around when it will be time for me to buy a new game, which resulted in my plan to buy one of the titles. Would you recommend I just buy Sun or Moon for a lower price, based upon the fact that I may not even be at the proper level to appreciate the remakes/sequels?

Also tall, dark, and handsome Yeah, pretty much. He has a decent amount of influence with the series.

What does this imply?

Well...I certainly consider myself casual when it comes to the Pokemon franchise.

I haven't played anything since Alpha Sapphire, but want to try Sun/Moon. I figured the timing of US/UM would fall around when it will be time for me to buy a new game, which resulted in my plan to buy one of the titles. Would you recommend I just buy Sun or Moon for a lower price, based upon the fact that I may not even be at the proper level to appreciate the remakes/sequels?

I would say get Ultra Sun/Moon. From what I can tell it is looking to be along the lines of Crystal/Emerald/Platinum in that it'll possess the same plot as the predecessors but with certain story elements altered. And as with every 'third' game they add additional content so you'll get more bang for your buck with them.

Also tall, dark, and handsome Yeah, pretty much. He has a decent amount of influence with the series.

What does this imply?

I would say get Ultra Sun/Moon. From what I can tell it is looking to be along the lines of Crystal/Emerald/Platinum in that it'll possess the same plot as the predecessors but with certain story elements altered. And as with every 'third' game they add additional content so you'll get more bang for your buck with them.

Sound advice. Thank you.

And with that, I cancel my preorder. No need to pay for or play the same game I did last year. Too casual to do that again.

If it's an updated version of Sun/Moon, I'd consider getting it. Granted I say that every time, but unlike the 4th and 6th generations this one does interest me.

If it's an updated version of Sun/Moon, I'd consider getting it. Granted I say that every time, but unlike the 4th and 6th generations this one does interest me.

If you do, I'm sure most people who frequent this thread would be happy to help you get the hang of it again after being away for 3 generations. ;)

And with that, I cancel my preorder. No need to pay for or play the same game I did last year. Too casual to do that again.

Yeah, that sounds like I'll be giving it a pass too. I haven't even finished Moon yet...

I always tend to double dip and get third versions, mostly because the little changes they have are nice and can make the experience better. Take the fourth generation. Diamond and Pearl were fun games, but the Pokédex had a severe shortage on Fire types, and the battles were sluggish as hell. In Platinum, not only was the Dex fixed in good ways, but the battle system was much faster. I think Platinum may have even had a Battle Frontier. It is pretty much superior to D/P in every way.

I always tend to double dip and get third versions, mostly because the little changes they have are nice and can make the experience better. Take the fourth generation. Diamond and Pearl were fun games, but the Pokédex had a severe shortage on Fire types, and the battles were sluggish as hell. In Platinum, not only was the Dex fixed in good ways, but the battle system was much faster. I think Platinum may have even had a Battle Frontier. It is pretty much superior to D/P in every way.

You are, indeed, correct. They rectified the Pokedex issue from D/P and added much more post game; this includes the Battle Frontier, where we meet Barry's father.

A live Pokémon Ultra Sun & Moon Battle will be shown at the Milan Games Week in Italy

Kazumasa Iwao (Director of Pokémon Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon) & Shigeru Ohmori from Game Freak will be in the center stage having a Pokémon Battle at the Milan Games Week

Milan Games Week will be held from September 29 until October 1.

This is a great time to showcase Burst and Assembly, as well as the new Z moves. They could even drop some new reveals during this time. Definitely interesting news.

What does this imply?

I definitely find it interesting that they've added actual new Pokemon(as far as I can tell) mid-gen. While they are UBs, it still counts. Which is similar to the previous gen adding extra Megas and such.

Interesting to note; a new promotional piece of artwork has been released for the game via posters in Japanese retailers, and in it, Lillie is holding a Pokéball (which is significant if you played the originals), and there are some villainous looking characters that didn't exist in Sun and Moon. This suggests that the story could be substantially different from Sun and Moon; maybe the assumption that they're like third versions is incorrect? Or maybe these new things are part of a new, scenario, like ORAS' Delta Episode.

aJY8ogP.jpg

Edited by gooieooie

Oh, another thing; the Ash Hat Pikachu has finally been released outside of Japan! Using the code PIKACHU20, you can get one of them. There's a different one available every week for six weeks, and each one is wearing Ash's hat from a different season of the anime! If you've got both Sun and Moon and can reset one (or you don't mind resetting your main copy), then you can get every one of them by resetting the game and using the code each week, and putting each Pikachu into Bank.

They go in order, so the Pikachu with the Kanto/Johto series hat is available this week! Hoenn is next week.

Gee, wonder how many people are gonna go for the first one over the rest of them?

Gold and Silver come out on VC tomorrow! If you buy one, you also get that Celebi code for Gen 7, and a free theme for your menu.

If you're anywhere except North America, Gold and Silver have launched! NA has to wait until noon for them to release for some reason, as opposed to midnight like... everywhere else. Disappointing, but oh well! It's not much longer.

I was planning on getting Silver, but I decided to go with Gold to switch away from what I usually go with!

Edited by gooieooie