Cairne Gotha

Pokemans!

It's actually not too tough. Just lots of luck. It just sounds hard because when playing mainline games you have it in your head that catching, say, Salamence is gonna be hard, but it's just as as easy evolving an Azumarill in Pokémon Pinball. Most of the legendaries are easy too. Rayquaza is just an endurance test and Latios/Latias are total luck, as is Jirachi sort of.

It's actually not too tough. Just lots of luck. It just sounds hard because when playing mainline games you have it in your head that catching, say, Salamence is gonna be hard, but it's just as as easy evolving an Azumarill in Pokémon Pinball. Most of the legendaries are easy too. Rayquaza is just an endurance test and Latios/Latias are total luck, as is Jirachi sort of.

And in Gen 6-7 it's even easier to catch them all, thanks to Pokemon Bank

Ready for the Elite 4 now. Also found out that Arcanine can't learn Earthquake from the TM. Considering that Meganium can learn it, that's pretty odd.

Team Penny:

(All of them are at level 48)

Meganium - Mabel

Female

Ability - Overgrow

Nature - Modest

Item - Miracle Seed

Moves - Petal Dance, Magical Leaf, Return, Earthquake

Ampharos - Jerin

Female

Ability - Static

Nature - Bold

Item - Magnet

Moves - Thunderbolt, Discharge, Signal Beam, Rock Smash

Heracross - Videl

Female

Ability - Guts

Nature - Quirky

Item - Black Belt

Moves - Close Combat, Brick Break, Night Slash

(I recently deleted Strength, since it's not as badly needed post game, just waiting to learn Megahorn now)

Espeon - Cleo

Female

Ability - Synchronize

Nature - Bold

Item - Shell Bell

Moves - Psybeam, Confusion, Shadow Ball, Swift

Arcanine - Garth

Male

Ability - Flash Fire

Nature - Lonely

Item - Charcoal

Moves - Flamethrower, Flame Wheel, Crunch, Dig

(I'm happy I lucked out getting a Fire Stone before the E4)

Lapras - Lapis

Female

Ability - Water Absorb

Nature - Naughty

Item - Nevermelt Ice

Moves - Surf, Waterfall, Ice Beam, Body Slam

Minor update on the Scout team:

Gyarados - Sangria

Male

Ability - Intimidate

Nature - Quirky

Sidenote - Yeah, this is the shiny Gyarados you can catch in game, I taught him all the water HMs and Strength.

Psyduck - Dingus

Female

Ability - Damp

Nature - Brave

Sidenote - Lucked out getting one good for countering exploders.

Seriously, I'm such a casual fan, this came as a surprise today. b7ffec0900d0822aab2aa50bd1c15bf2.jpg

Platty, that's late even by casual standards.

Better start thinking of names because that b***h is late.

Edited by eal

We can see a new direct with information as soon as the 13th. The Chinese have a locked video on YouTube and another Pokemon channel uploaded then quickly deleted a video. Evidence is suggesting new information soon and given how we got Alolan forms leaked in a direct around this time it is reasonable to assume we may get the same kind of treatment this time around.

Seriously, I'm such a casual fan, this came as a surprise today. b7ffec0900d0822aab2aa50bd1c15bf2.jpg

I didn't realize this until a few years ago myself. It was an "A-ha!" moment once I caught on to it.

I think it goes along with my 1 playthrough and never again mentality too. But yeah...

We can see a new direct with information as soon as the 13th. The Chinese have a locked video on YouTube and another Pokemon channel uploaded then quickly deleted a video. Evidence is suggesting new information soon and given how we got Alolan forms leaked in a direct around this time it is reasonable to assume we may get the same kind of treatment this time around.

That makes sense, considering UltraSun and UltraMoon come out fairly soon, but also since Gold and Silver are coming to VC even sooner. (the 22nd of this month) I'd guess that a Direct would update us on what features the Gold and Silver VC releases have that the originals don't (like wireless communication and Bank compatibility), as well as more on USUM, which they've kept mostly under wraps through development.

--------

Platty; every region has a naming convention for the cities. Kanto's is the most well-known, but Johto has its cities named after trees/plants and colors (like Mahogany, which is both a tree and a color, and Olivine, a mixture of olive and vine), Hoenn usually mixes a plant/metal with a geographic features of some kind (like Slateport and Rustboro), Sinnoh, although less clear, is based off of the city's defining traits (like Sunnyshore and Oreburgh), Unova names the cities after cloud formations and terms (like Accumela and Nimbasa), Kalos names them after flowers (like Vaniville based on vanilla), and Alola simply names its locations after Hawaiin words (Hau'oli means happy, Lanakila means victory). 

There are lots of neat little tidbits to learn. Here's one that took years before it dawned on me; did you know that every berry is named after a fruit of some kind? For example, Oran Berry is based on orange, Grepa Berry is grape, and Razz Berry is raspberry. :)

Hoenn's naming I like in particular since it ties in with the importance of land, sea, and sky the 3rd generation has. That naming scheme was one I picked up on, with your examples (especially Rustboro and Sootopolis) being what helped clue me in, gooie.

Granted, gen 3 was the last gen I really cared about so that probably explains WHY I noticed it back in the day.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

Notice that the berries also tend to look like the fruit they're named after.

I've noticed one or two of those in passing but never noticed a whole generation similarity. Cool.

Also all the professors are named after trees.

You used to (still do?) run a Pokémon club or something in your school, how did none of this register?

Also all the professors are named after trees.

You used to (still do?) run a Pokémon club or something in your school, how did none of this register?

Because that's what I'd sit around and talk to 2nd graders about...

Yeah, I'm completely Pokegnorant.

Made my money on that club last fall and haven't done it since.

For those planning on picking up Gold and Silver on the Virtual Console, which version are you planning on getting? Probably going to grab Silver myself, and then likely Gold later on down the road.

Also, I've been thinking about the VC releases and how some things are going to work on 3DS. For example, in Gen 2, shinies are based on DVs (basically an older version of IVs), which can be manipulated through the Ditto glitch in Gen 1, and then tossed over through the Time Capsule into Gen 2, where they'll be shiny. Are they planning to fight this somehow, or will these shinies pass through Bank fine? Another thing is the code execution glitch with the Coin Case; people have found ways to do pretty crazy stuff with that, so I wonder what'll be possible there!

Looking forward to it! Just 12 days until release! :)

Edited by gooieooie

If I do get one of the games, it'll be Silver.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

If I buy any Johto title, it'll be another copy of Heart Gold to replace the one I lost. I've no desire to revisit Gen 2 in that old state. Fire Red and Leaf Green are as far back as I go.

• Upvote 1

Silver and Gold aged incredibly well. It's one of the most playable old games out there from that era. And you say FireRed and LeafGreen are the oldest you go but....what about Ruby and Sapphire? They're about as old.

For those planning on picking up Gold and Silver on the Virtual Console, which version are you planning on getting? Probably going to grab Silver myself, and then likely Gold later on down the road.

Also, I've been thinking about the VC releases and how some things are going to work on 3DS. For example, in Gen 2, shinies are based on DVs (basically an older version of IVs), which can be manipulated through the Ditto glitch in Gen 1, and then tossed over through the Time Capsule into Gen 2, where they'll be shiny. Are they planning to fight this somehow, or will these shinies pass through Bank fine? Another thing is the code execution glitch with the Coin Case; people have found ways to do pretty crazy stuff with that, so I wonder what'll be possible there!

Looking forward to it! Just 12 days until release! :)

Then there's that glitch that raises the levels of your Pokémon to 100. Edited by eal

If I buy any Johto title, it'll be another copy of Heart Gold to replace the one I lost. I've no desire to revisit Gen 2 in that old state. Fire Red and Leaf Green are as far back as I go.

Ditto. Hard to go backwards in playability.

I have six gyms cleared in Kanto on Heartgold, currently hunting a Chansey with a Lucky Egg using the Repel trick.

I've decided my next Pokemon purchase will be Ultra Sun or Ultra Moon.

The last one I played through was Alpha Sapphire, so it should be a fun adventure come November.

• Upvote 1

I've decided my next Pokemon purchase will be Ultra Sun or Ultra Moon.

The last one I played through was Alpha Sapphire, so it should be a fun adventure come November.

Aside from not going to know what the story differences from Sun and Moon will be, that's not a bad choice.

New UBs. (Didn't watch the Direct, I was busy leveling in Heartgold)

I got lucky with getting a Lucky Egg yesterday(I wasn't paying attention to Frisk message, so I used Thief just in case).

Not gonna lie, I would totally buy Silver and one of the new 3DS games just to get Celebi.

• Upvote 1