Cairne Gotha

Pokemans!

I've never gotten Pokérus during a game...ever.

If you can somehow do a trade to evolve it, Scizor is pretty awesome.

My Platinum version lacks a save file to do any trading(I do have more than one DS system though), so I'm avoiding trade evos like Scyther>Scizor.

I do plan on getting a Scyther tomorrow in the bug catching contest to help in the scout team(False Swiper).

Pokerus wise, this is the third time I've encountered the status in game. The first was in my original gen 2 playthrough many years ago, the second was in Platinum(I think, mainly because I have several Pachirisu that got it and if I remember correctly Trucy was what I named my character in Platinum).

Team Penny assemble!

Main team so far:

Bayleef - Mabel

Female

Nature: Modest

Flaaffy - Jerin

Female

Nature: Bold

Heracross - Videl

Female

Nature: Quirky

Eevee - Cleo

Female

Nature: Bold

Intentionally got a female Hercross because Attract is annoying in the third gym. With Eevee, I did it because it's the rare gender. I'm evolving Eevee into Espeon. I'm toying with Cloyster for my water type(I've never used one before) and Growlithe for my Fire type unless I can find something else later on.

Scout team so far:

Noctowl - Bubo

Female

Nature: Calm

She'll be of help in the next gym(along with Cleo). After that, Bubo will be getting a break and become my designated flyer.

Furret - Lars

Male

Nature: Impish

He's my Cut, Rock Smash and Headbutt mon. I might add Surf on him later on.

Butterfree - Dipper

Male

Nature: Quirky

Helper for the bug catching contests and such, my go to status slinger.

Edited by Stepchan

I'm in a Wii U mood lately so I booted up Pinball: Ruby and Sapphire. Forgot how fun it was, I regret giving away my original copy. Dunno why I did that, I played it a lot. Maybe I'll actually try to complete the Dex, though it feels like getting the harder Pokémon may be frustrating (some of the stuff you've gotta do to get Jirachi for example).

I've actually decided to go for Lapras later this week since it can be obtained sooner than Shellder(I'm taking my time at the moment anyway).

Had ridiculous luck in Pokémon Pinball. I had kind of resigned myself to never being able to complete the Dex, but now I'm not so sure. I might actually be able to do it. Kyogre, Metagross and a couple other three-stage evolutions, and Jirachi, which is pure luck. I still have a bit of a climb ahead of me, but I knocked out some of the tougher Pokémon.

I can't wait to get Fly, it will make Apricorn Farming alot easier. Next up is Lapras after midnight(I have to go by the DS clock, since it's not set to Daylight Savings Time).

Minor Scout team update:

Scyther - Cutman

Male

Nature: Gentle

Side note: The first one I caught had Technician, so awesome! Cutman is my top favorite robot master from Mega Man, so I named it after him.

Edited by Stepchan

I have the fifth gym cleared, grinded on Voltorb Flip for a Thunderbolt TM. I'm never playing that annoying game ever again.

I'm now grinding for the sixth gym.T

Team update:

Bayleef - Mabel

Female

Nature - Modest

Ability - Overgrow

Flaaffy - Jerin

Female

Nature - Bold

Ability - Static

Hercross - Videl

Female

Nature - Quirky

Ability - Guts

Espeon - Cleo

Female

Nature - Bold

Growlithe - Garth

Male

Nature - Lonely

Ability - Flash Fire

Note: Caught after getting Eevee and before the Burnt Tower and fourth gym. Leveling him up until he knows Flamethrower and Crunch. Named after Garth from Alpha and Omega.

Lapras - Lapis

Female

Nature - Naughty

Ability - Water Absorb

Note: Kind of funny how my last two mons ended up with abilities that grant immunity like that. She's named after the same character from Steven Universe.

Scout Team:

Furret - Lars

Male

Nature - Impish

Ability - Keen Eye

Note: Packs Cut, Headbutt, Rock Smash and Surf

Noctowl - Bubo

Female

Nature - Calm

Ability - Insomnia

Note: My flyer, she helped in the main team until the fourth gym(She was a massive help against Gengar).

Butterfree - Dipper

Male

Nature - Quirky

Ability - Compound Eyes

Note: My Sleep Powder and Stun Spore slinger.

Scyther - Cutman

Male

Nature - Gentle

Ability - Technician

Note: The master of holding back using False Swipe. Lucked out getting it's best ability.

Togetic- Rhys

Male

Nature - Quirky

Abiltiy - Hustle

Note: Knows Flash and Rock Smash. Named him after the first generation main character in Phantasy Star III(Admittedly a random decision).

Edited by Stepchan

*shudder*

My sincerest apologies, Stepchan. Voltorb Flip is a torture nobody should have to go through.

Bumping into Latios and Latias in Pokémon Pinball is a 1% chance, so I was lucky to encounter Latios. Last major obstacle is Latias and Rayquaza, who is exceptionally hard to catch, considering how long you need to play before you can catch him.

My Dex is at 120+ now.

*shudder*

My sincerest apologies, Stepchan. Voltorb Flip is a torture nobody should have to go through.

If I remember right, Voltorb Flip became a thing because of the Europe's rating systems marking simulated gambling as 18+. Yes, Pokemon was in danger of getting a rating equal to the dreaded AO rating at the time.

Because of this, I do at least understand why they had to make a change. I just wish they could have thought of something other than a minesweeper style game. The highest I cleared was level 6(8 is the highest level).

Voltorb Flip would be more tolerable if it's payout was a better overall(getting around 27-54 tokens at level 1 isn't that great. around 100 would have been better for a starting level) or the prizes costed less.

Yeah, and the rating change happened after the Japanese release; Japanese copies of HGSS actually have a traditional Game Corner, with slot machines and all. The change happened during localization only.

It wasn't 18+, though; it's actually only 12+. The Red, Blue, and Yellow VC releases, and more recently, the Gold and Silver VC releases, all received ratings of PEGI 12+. I guess they want to keep the series going at the general "everyone" rating, so they phased it out.

It was sad to see that the Game Corner existed, but was closed down in ORAS.

It's like GF doesn't actually know, or acknowledge, the general age range of the playerbase. It isn't just young kids anymore, and hasn't been for quite some time.

The anime started to recognize it starting with 5th Gen. And especially 6th Gen.

Dose romantic moments. ; )

It's like GF doesn't actually know, or acknowledge, the general age range of the playerbase. It isn't just young kids anymore, and hasn't been for quite some time.

Just because it isn't just young kids anymore doesn't mean it isn't meant for young kids in the first place.

Uhh Young kids still watch the anime. Even tho some more older themes are brought into it.

You CAN make things for All ages yknow.

Just because it isn't just young kids anymore doesn't mean it isn't meant for young kids in the first place.

Never said it wasn't, so what are you getting at?

Uhh Young kids still watch the anime. Even tho some more older themes are brought into it.

Disney does that well with a lot of jokes in their movies for us adults!

Disney does that well with a lot of jokes in their movies for us adults!
They gotta pump out weekly episodes and they've been doing it for like 20 years. The writing can only be so good with that kind of crunch. Earlier episodes had a lot more going on then the ones coming out in the last 10 years.

All eight of the Johto gyms are cleared. Never been all that found of Clair. Making you have to go out of the way just to prove you earned your victory.

Yeah, and the rating change happened after the Japanese release; Japanese copies of HGSS actually have a traditional Game Corner, with slot machines and all. The change happened during localization only.

It wasn't 18+, though; it's actually only 12+. The Red, Blue, and Yellow VC releases, and more recently, the Gold and Silver VC releases, all received ratings of PEGI 12+. I guess they want to keep the series going at the general "everyone" rating, so they phased it out.

It was sad to see that the Game Corner existed, but was closed down in ORAS.

I'm confused, because of this:

The replacement of slot machines with Voltorb Flip was likely due to stricter PEGI guidelines which required that any game deemed to "encourage or teach gambling" be classified 18, which had previously caused the replacement of slot machines with game machines in European versions of Pokemon Platinum.

Source:

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Voltorb_Flip#Replacement

Does 18 mean 12+ in Pegi? Because that sounds rather odd.

Hm, that is strange. The PEGI 12 rating for the Gold and Silver VC releases can be seen in this article, which has a picture of their Europe special physical releases:

http://www.siliconera.com/2017/08/18/pokmon-gold-silvers-virtual-console-release-will-get-packaged-versions-europe/

Similarily, Red, Blue, and Yellow's PEGI ratings can be found on their site:

http://www.pegi.info/en/index/global_id/505/?searchString=pokemon

So either Bulbapedia is incorrect on what the rating would be bumped to, or it would've been PEGI 18 at the time of HGSS's release, and the regulations on the gambling aspects have since been lowered from PEGI 18 to PEGI 12.

Caught Ho-oh yesterday, in a Love Ball of all things. It kept breaking out of the best balls I could use at the time(Ultra, since it wasn't night), so I started throwing different balls at it.

Went through Victory Road and am now leveling for the Elite 4.

Hm, that is strange. The PEGI 12 rating for the Gold and Silver VC releases can be seen in this article, which has a picture of their Europe special physical releases:

http://www.siliconera.com/2017/08/18/pokmon-gold-silvers-virtual-console-release-will-get-packaged-versions-europe/

Similarily, Red, Blue, and Yellow's PEGI ratings can be found on their site:

http://www.pegi.info/en/index/global_id/505/?searchString=pokemon

So either Bulbapedia is incorrect on what the rating would be bumped to, or it would've been PEGI 18 at the time of HGSS's release, and the regulations on the gambling aspects have since been lowered from PEGI 18 to PEGI 12.

Admittedly, putting gambling up that high is pretty silly regardless of if it were the case or not. I know gambling and Lottery require someone to be of legal age in real life, but still.

It's not like it's Manhunt(I remember the sequel getting an AO rating which caused them to censor it since AO pretty much means it might as well not exist) or the Grand Theft Auto series(The latter I know being M rated, but remember the Hot Coffee mod from the dummied out data in the San Andreas, that forced them to removed it or else it would have given from the AO rating).

I find the rating AO to be pretty funny, much like the movie rating NC-17. This is because the X rating gets used a lot more often than them.

Edited by Stepchan

Startlingly good luck in Pokémon Pinball. After catching Latios, I decided to only focus on the Sapphire board in the off chance I manage to catch a Latias while also trying to complete the rest of the Dex. First time back I pick the Sapphire board and BOOM. Latias. Like the third Pokémon I encounter. A 1% chance for both of them, the two I thought I'd be least likely to catch, and I've got them both.

Rayquaza still stands in my way and, naturally, my new problem is catching the same Pokémon I already have so I might have to start keeping track of which Pokémon can be caught where and which ones I need. Luckily the manual has that info available for me.

Whenever I start playing a game super half-assed, it ends up being my best run with it to date. You know, when you're just like, "maybe I'll get a feel for the final boss before I fight him for real. Oh, wait. I just beat him." That kind of thing. So I've been on the Sapphire board for like three hours with only like one life left just endlessly catching Pokémon, whether I need them or not. At first I was just trying to end it since I had a bad start and went down to my final life in half an hour. Then, 28 Pokémon later I catch Rayquaza...

Now all that's left for any sort of challenge are the starters and their evolutions and maybe 40 random Pokémon and then Pokémon Pinball will be completed.

• Upvote 1

I applaud you for your endeavor, as I never attempt to complete the Pokédex in mainline Pokémon games, and I'd never even think of trying in Pokémon Pinball.

I have fully filled in one Pokédex throughout the years, and that was in Pokémon Yellow. Had everyone registered, including Mew.