Cairne Gotha

Pokemans!

Now I hear it. :thumbsup:

My whole team is fully evolved now.

Emboar, Azumarill, Ampharos, Lilligant, Espeon and Cinccino.

Skyla's gym is really annoying.

That's quite a team there. Pretty well-rounded.

The only downside(a mild one at that) about it is that most of the team are single type Pokemon. While not necessary, it's usually nice to have at least 2 or 3 duel types(more attacks getting STAB).

While going insane from Route 5's hidden grotto, I had stumbled upon this FAQ, which I had read up on. (I was trying to find a hidden grotto FAQ at the time)

The early tips are probably what interested me more than the ingame tier list(which varies greatly from the competitive one), as the author brings up some interesting points.

He shoots down these tips that other's tend to spout:

Having a full team is the best way to play.

Your Pokémon needs a diverse moveset. Don't double up on STABs.

Ugh, items are for noobs. Don't use them.

Legendary Pokémon are cheap and dishonorable. Don't be an uber noob.

What he lists to do instead:

Don't use a full team- He does make a good point about a full team of six being higher maintenance(more leveling to do). How useful this one is depends on what the player likes to do ingame. I actually like to use a full team, but do agree that it takes longer.

Diverse movesets are grossly overrated- In other words, having four different element attacks. He mostly refers to tacking moves onto a Pokemon that are a bit rougher to work with(like Wild Charge on Emboar, when it super effectives those that whip Emboar with ease, although if the Pokemon is a fast sweeper this isn't a really a big issue) being a bad idea.

Using Legendary Pokemon isn't a sin- I've always found it silly when people diss others for using Legendaries(even the less powerful ones), so I definitely agree with him on this one.

Seriously, use items- Wait, there are people who don't use items ingame? Seriously though, it refers to those who try to show off by not using a healing items and such. Also listed are the X items, which tend to get passed up by most players(I'm even somewhat guilty of this, with Pokemon Pearl being my first time using a lot of them).

Don't know exactly where I was going with this, guess I'm just bored and wanted to share. :P

Well, if you do't use items you're either overpowered or you're making a trip to the pokemon center every second...

I don't even think you can beat the elite 4 without them. And Pokewood makes it extremely easy to have tons of money and items (considering you're ready to loose an entire day in it at first).

Sometimes it's hard to have a diverse moveset (The Klink Line and Magnezone come to mind)

I use a full team, but it's more because I want to try every Pokemon I cross...

I usually don't use legendary. Not because of any elitism, just because I already have my full team already, and lack any emotional attachement with legendary.

And Legendary aren't that cheap. I rremembered my lv70 Rayquazza being whiped completely by an Ice Beam in Emerald.

Well, there is only one important rule anyway : Have Fun ! This is an extremely fun game, so if you want to be overpowered, do it. But if you want chalenge, go ahead too.

If you want to quit being aTrainer and become the biggest PokeStar/The Legend of muscals, then do. That's not really the main goal, butwhy not ?

There's one thing I love to do, it(s trying to have a strange ending with every Pokemon on my main team, to have every one having the Star Entrance.

...My team is constitued of Samurott (Ludo), Magnezone (Tesla), Drifblim (Winston), Lucario (Rico), Volcarona (Mothra), and Flygon (Libera). Lv 83 (Thanks, Bly Skyscraper !). I don't have a lot of time at the moment, so I can't really advance in the game...

The point of the diverse movepool one is in cases where you tack something like Aqua Tail on Serperior, which it would only be able to super effective fire types(a bad match up) with, since grass also SE's rock and ground. The only point being that it's best to avoid moves that would be used in a bad match up(although this is still a YMMV scenario).

The only other reason to put Aqua Tail on Serperior is to neutral hit Steel types.

Lilligant is also another shallow movepool one. Grass, normal, Psychic(Dream Eater only) and Hidden Power. My Lilligant has Hidden Power water. Umm... yeah.

So with my Lilligant, I have to do one of these movepools:

Petal Dance

Giga Drain/Magical Leaf

Hyper Beam

Quiver Dance

Petal Dance

Dream Eater

Quiver Dance

Sleep Powder

Petal Dance

Giga Drain/Magical Leaf

Dream Eater

Sleep Powder

Honestly, it wouldn't have killed them to give the Petilil line Earth Power as an move tutor option. I'd snagged that ASAP.

I've had a Legendary as part of a team in one playthrough, Victini to be precise.

With the items thing, it refers to those who think they need to amp up the challenge by not using items during battle. Some of stuff mentioned is about some LP'ers catering to the item haters by not using them during the Elite 4 battles(only inbetween).

I do the diverse moveset, but I try to stick with move categories that make use of that Pokemon's highest stat (i.e. my Arcanine's highest stat is its Special Attack, so I gave it mostly Special Moves. Heat Wave, Flamethrower, Extremespeed- the "hit-first" mechanic has saved my a$$ several times- and Hidden Power- it gets Electric-type Hidden Power) For my Dragonite, with a high Attack stat, I loaded it up with Physical moves (Fire Punch, Thunder Punch, Dragon Rush and Stone Edge).

I've done plenty of them with diverse sets as well. Never hurt my playthroughs.

I made my HG Arcanine have Heat Wave, Extremespeed, Dragon Pulse, and Reversal.

Edited by Democrobot

I do the diverse moveset, but I try to stick with move categories that make use of that Pokemon's highest stat (i.e. my Arcanine's highest stat is its Special Attack, so I gave it mostly Special Moves. Heat Wave, Flamethrower, Extremespeed- the "hit-first" mechanic has saved my a$$ several times- and Hidden Power- it gets Electric-type Hidden Power) For my Dragonite, with a high Attack stat, I loaded it up with Physical moves (Fire Punch, Thunder Punch, Dragon Rush and Stone Edge).

Well, that sounds obvious. My Lucario is the only one with a mixed set, but both of it's stats are extremely high, so it's OK.

...And Aurasphere and Extremespeed are both awesome move, so it's hard to chose.

EDIT :Wow, Samurott and Drifblim both have Mix Sets. Drifblim, because it doesn't have good physical Ghost attacks.

Samurott... Well it have Surf and Waterfall. And Revenge for some reasons...

Lucario also have Dragon Pulse and Shadow Claw (Strength in Dungeons)

Edited by Holy Slime Knight

Here are my members current movepools, some are definitely subject to change.

Espeon: Psychic, Psybeam, Shadow Ball and Hyper Voice

Lilligant: Petal Dance, Magical Leaf, Hyper Beam and Quiver Dance (This one is the final set for her)

Cinccino: Return, Tail Slap, Bullet Seed and Rock Blast (I love Skill Link)

Emboar: Flamethrower, Heat Crash, Brick Break and Bulldoze

Azumarill: Aqua Tail, Surf, Ice Punch and Return

Ampharos: Strength, Discharge, Power Gem and Thunder Wave

I have doubled up on Stab for now, mainly because I have some uncertainty about what some of them should have. Also have Strength on Ampharos and Surf on Azumarill for field purposes.

Saw this recently:

Can't hear the music very well, but amusing nevertheless.

It's wintertime! Time to go to Icirrus and Twist Mountain to get them items.

It's wintertime! Time to go to Icirrus and Twist Mountain to get them items.

Yeah! Easier way to get fossils as well! Woohoo!

Check it out:

255043_498893556798270_1470332626_n.jpg

I'd love to have an adventure in that region.

My city's a blue dot. :P

My city's a blue dot. :P

Lucky. Mine isn't even on the map

Hey guys. I recently read a creepypasta that suggests that the Red you fight in Heartgold/Soulsilver/Gold/Silver is actually his ghost, unable to cross over to the afterlife until someone can defeat him. I've come to the conclusion that this is most likely true. The evidence: He doesn't have ANY actual text programmed, just "...", "...?", "...!" and "...!!". When you beat him in Gold/Silver/HG/SS, he just dissapears. And finally (and this I JUST found out) when you beat him in the Champions Tournament, he DOESN'T appear in the lobby amongst the others that you beat in that run. (ex: I beat- in this order- Cynthia, Red, and Wallace; Only Cynthia and Wallace were waiting in the lobby.)

Sounds familiar.

Have you read Lost Silver? That one actually gave me big chills.

...And he suicide is Pikachu in every fight.

No need to thanks me....

EDIT : And now, I'm wondering what happened to BLack/White Hero...

Edited by Holy Slime Knight

I just bred a Flawless IV'd Shiny Charmander on my White 1. Yay, me.

Gonna make an awesome Solarbeam/Power Herb Charizard. Perfect Nature, too!

Edited by ryangroovy

....You....Managed to breed..... a Shiny Charmander? .................FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

*and now for a little intermission while DragonGaurdian regains his sanity!*

I can trade you one. It's not flawess or nicknameable, but you can have it.

(If you have internetz. :P)

Thanks, but that'd take the fun out of trying to breed my own. I just have to trade all my good stuff from my White version over to my Black 2, put the female Charizard into the daycare with one of my foreign Pokemon in either the Field or Dragon (i think) Egg Groups and then PRAY HARD that the Masuda method works in my favor.

Has anybody come to a reasonable way as to how Legendaries are born since they can't be bred(in game at least).

For a lot of them, it's the same question as how God/gods came to live, you know...

Still a really interresting question, though...

The one I'm the most curious about is Manaphy. This one can breed, but not breed himself.

So Phione should be able to become a Manaphy, but how ? Is it possible to have more than one Manaphy ?

The only one we can explain how it was born is Mewtwo. We also know why It can't breed.