Sign in to follow this  
thps48

Got OST?

Play-Asia's CDs are more affordable than their games, but CDJapan and AmiAmi are still the way to go when it comes to importing music. I always import CDs (unless of course they're released domestically) rather than purchase them on iTunes or illegally download them. The money helps support the industry, I get a nice set of physical goods (discs, the case, booklets, etc.) and the music is of a (marginally) higher quality than if I had obtained it digitally because I can rip it in a lossless format.

I prefer purchasing it on iTunes. It still supports the industry, and they get more of the profit than they do for CD sales. An actual artist gives up at least 50% of their total sale by going the CD route, they can go through digital distribution and get around 70-75% of the CD's total profit. Those CDs? They crack, fade, scratch, etc. The booklets? The same thing happens. Hell, I have a copy of the Wind Waker OST that I imported. I only opened it to burn it, and it got scratched anyway.

CDs are so fragile. I'd rather they put music on flashdrives or SD cards or something.

I tend to simply rip my music once to a PC and then indefinitely retire the CDs to being a collector's piece, so I've never had any problem with wear and tear. If I used them continually like in the car or something yeah, that'd definitely happen.

I'll give you that there's likely greater profit for the artist through digital distribution, I really don't doubt that. Still though, I tend to prefer my music at the highest possible quality even when there's little audible difference (sometimes its drastic though, with things like orchestrated music) which is something only CDs can offer. Stores like iTunes tend not to offer music in a lossless format, since it's primarily intended to be a smaller in size for iPods and iPhones. I'm not really attached to having a disc; as you suggested, should music ever be offered on an SD card or flash drive at the same quality as a CD, I'd be all for it.

I just hate CDs with a passion. It's why I have a Steam account. (( That and for Indie titles. ))

Understandable. My collector mentality prevents me from purchasing anything but the physical option for things like games and music. I've never purchased anything from Steam but have come close a handful of times because they tend to have such great sales. It's certainly nice for PC gamers on tight budgets, though.

If you haven't, I would definitely look into it. Torchlight is a great example.

Heh, when I asked for the DQMBV OST, I didn't get nowhere near this many hits. XD

Anyway, cool, thanks

NP. But DQX is a flagship title, I'm not sure if anyone actually ripped the OST from that.

Dragon Quest X Symphonic Suite was announced for release on December 5th. I lost the link to the initial announcement I read, but you can see its listing here on Amazon Japan...

EDIT: Oh, here's a link with a cover image and a track listing...

Edited by zanchan