Sign in to follow this  
thps48

Got OST?

That time of the decade again. Anyone got a rip in the works or do you guys got a source or whatev'? Thanks. :D

Also, is there a legal thing keepin' you from uploadin' Symphonic Suites? :T

I think you can check FFShrine.org for the suites, but I don't think there's a release of DQX's OST yet.

If there is, link me to it and I might be able to find it for you.

The audio files from the dump are encrypted and packed in a complicated way. The good guys who develop VGMStream are working on it right now and we will have a dump on the site as soon as we can get it running.

As for the Symphonic Suites, that's a good question. I think originally the idea was to keep those off here so as not to detract revenue from SE. However now that we game music rips here, I am not sure if that policy has loosened. That would be a good question for Woodus I think.

To be honest (( And I'll be making a rant topic on this )) I don't see the point of importing music. Buying it from iTunes if available, sure, but not importing.

You don't see the point in owning anything legally though.

See my piracy rant, which is getting a new post. I'll go to Wal-Mart (( and I dId )) to grab a copy of say, DQ6 and play it legally (( Which I did )), but I won't buy a copy of DWVII off of Ebay, because I'd be getting ripped off.

If this guy buys this OST, he'll be getting ripped off unless it's from an American retailer. And even then...

Generally speaking, importing an OST isn't that much more expensive than buying it domestically in Japan. CDs in general are just expensive there. At least Japanese-created music. You can go there and buy American pop CDs for about the same price as you would here.

Even still, you can buy it for $20 in Japan, likely less. And then the reseller tacks on 125% or so to make a big profit.

Nah, bro. Check this out.

Playasia has Dragon Quest Symphonic Suites ranging from 35-45 dollars

http://www.play-asia....f6j.html<br />http://www.play-asia....f6m.html<br />http://www.play-asia...en-70-3f6o.html

When I was last in Japan, I visited Tower Records. They were selling each CD for around 3000 - 3500 yen. With today's exchange rate, that is $38-$45.

So yeah. I mean, yeah, if you could probably buy it used at someplace like Book Off for a lot less, but if you want to buy it new, you're going to have to pay comparable prices.

Edit: I mean, yeah, you're going to have to pay shipping and that can be pricey, but that certainly isn't the importer's fault.

Edited by Megalosaro

I dunno, I still don't like the idea of an importer making a lot of money off me. The only time I ever bought stuff from one is when I got a bunch of New Super Mario Bros keychains, I'll buy small things like that. But not music, or something that should be released here.

There's plenty of video game music on iTunes, even stuff like the Ys series is on there. Dragon Quest will be one day, and when that happens, that's when I'll trash my "pirated" DQ stuff and buy some of the music.

They have practically the same mark up though. They're making maybe a dollar or two more. What is the difference between giving an import store money rather than buying it from a store in Japan itself?

I mean, yeah, I'm not going to knock you for buying stuff off itunes. That's cool that you're doing that. But you really can't complain about an import store charging Japanese prices for physical media

Edited by Megalosaro

Importers HAVE to tack on a few extra bucks to make a profit. What you are seeing is both the cost of shipping overseas AND some extra so the importer can make money. If their job is importing they need to make profit.

I, until I heard Saro, assumed that japanese media was the same price as the US. I may be wrong, but that doesn't mean I have to like the idea of importing a DQ OST for $40-50.

I think it's asinine when there's a free alternative. They need to get on the ball and put the $#!& on iTunes or something.

Back to the OST, I have completed the rip now. See here for the details.

Edited by King Zenith

Zenith, you are da man! Can you send me a link?

Zenith, you are da man! Can you send me a link?

Sorry about that. I thought the link I provided before went straight to the post where I provide a link. I fixed it now, and the link provided below will take you to the post where I provide the d/l link. I don't want to repost the link directly here because I will probably remove it once Woodus gets the files up on the Den.

Back to the OST, I have completed the rip now. See here for the details.

The audio files from the dump are encrypted and packed in a complicated way. The good guys who develop VGMStream are working on it right now and we will have a dump on the site as soon as we can get it running.

As for the Symphonic Suites, that's a good question. I think originally the idea was to keep those off here so as not to detract revenue from SE. However now that we game music rips here, I am not sure if that policy has loosened. That would be a good question for Woodus I think.

Yeah, I don't think I want to host those. You can buy those if you want, you can't buy a CD with the in game music

I think some research should be done first, as the DQ series isn't on iTunes. If the suite cannot be bought new, then why not host it? I'm sure DQ3's suite is pretty old now.

http://www.play-asia.com/paOScore/19-71-99-49-en-15-Dragon+Quest+Symphonic+Suite.html - According to this, these two have been out of print for years. Why not host the ones you cannot buy new? Or at least provide Youtube links or something similar. This'd be akin to emulation by preservation.

edit: wrong topic

Edited by Megalosaro

No, responding to Woodus and why he doesn't want to host the old old DQ Symphonic Suite. There's some quite old ones.

I edited my post because I posted here something I meant for another topic. You're quite on topic. I noticed that some of the soundtracks you pointed out aren't really out of print though. You just have to search for them the right way.

Try checking "Symphonic Suite Dragon Quest" instead of "Dragon Quest Symphonic Suite" Playasia's search engine is silly like that and will come up with totally different results.

Edited by Megalosaro

The two I pointed to are. O_o I guess. I looked it up and only saw two, now with your suggestion there was two pages worth.

Imma make a post in the suggestion thread.

The symphonic suites seem to get regular reprints and I tend to see new copies occasionally online, they are pretty darned expensive compared to US music prices though.

And folk wonder why I pirate.