Sign in to follow this  
JessicaAlbert13

Nera Unknowingly Spoils the Plot

I like Bianca more, she is tougher and cuter than the other 2. I never liked Flora and that redhead is too forgettable. 

Edited by Shun 'Kanamee

I like Bianca more, she is tougher and cuter than the other 2. I never liked Flora and that redhead is too forgettable. 

Bianca = Blonde Flora/Nera = Slimehead Deborah = Black-haired girl I'm pretty sure there is no redhead to speak of.

Bianca = Blonde Flora/Nera = Slimehead Deborah = Black-haired girl I'm pretty sure there is no redhead to speak of.

Deborah, I remember her having red hair. But I like Bianca as a character. She is not some prissy rich girl.

No one in DQV has red hair.  Heck I think that it's one of the few games in the series (past the original trilogy) that lacks a red haired party member, or even a red haired NPC.

Something weird I noticed when I played through the end scenes (victory tour that ends up at Gotha):

In the versions with Bianca and Nera, all of the women partners twirl at the end of each step.  In the version with Debora, the Hero does the twirling. Debora (who doesn't twirl) is dominant to the end.

I also noticed, that in the beginning of the game in Whealbrook, if you follow Pankraz out the door, you see him take off on the raft towards the right side of Whealbrook Adit (where he stored the Zenethia Sword.

(Edited to add content)

Edited by Tom Barrister

That said, I came away with the impression that none of them actually were in love with the Hero.  Debora wanted the Hero because Nera was going to get him. Nera accepted her fate, because she was supposed to be obedient to her father; she probably would have preferred Crispin.   Bianca accepted the proposal because the Hero gave her a chance to live life more fully that she would have gotten to had she stayed in her village and cared for her father.  The writers were even clever enough to cure Whitey so that Bianca wouldn't have any feelings of guilt in leaving him.

I agree.  I've seen discussions where people claim DQV to have a "romance subplot" or even call it a "love story" when I though the marriage choices were more strategic than romantic.  It's left up to the Hero to declare his feelings for one of the three brides, though (personally) I just wanted the Zenithian Shield!  Though I love DQV, I've always felt that the marriage subplot was a weak point in the game, it seems forced, and the wives are more of a cute waifu to tote around in your party rather than a living, breathing character.

What this all boils down to is that video game romance is fake. Ignoring the obvious reasons, it's also because it must build a solid enough foundation on which the player can believe that the love between the two characters is realistic enough despite the fact video games will never be able to recreate it. In real life, it takes similarities between the two people, dates, and time spent together just being in a relationship to foster love. In video games, you get a choice of about three or four women to choose from and you pick based on who you like the most. The only games that come close to this are dating sims, whose entire gameplay is based around convincing a character to fall in love with you. And of course, these games cater to a group of people that have a hard time experiencing love in real life so they have to play it out in a video game.

It also doesn't help that there are cultural differences between Japanese romance and the American idea of romance that doesn't translate all that well.

Fire Emblem: Awakening.  That's all I have to say.

• Upvote 1

Actually, in the time period that this game was set (presumably pre-1900, many marriages (especially in countries other than the U.S.) were either arranged by families, done for financial reasons, or on the spur of the moment.   There weren't always long courtships, and much of the time the bride had no say in the matter.

I like Nera and all but I still prefer the canon choice.