Sign in to follow this  
zanchan

Gameplay journal

It's been a while since I updated the Gameplay Journal.  Today I went to a mysterious location and advanced the story there.  With the PC version being released later this month I don't want to be too big on spoilers here so I'll keep this vague.

I went through quite a bit of story sequences and cut scenes that ultimately took me to a lava filled dungeon packed with formidable foes.  After performing some tasks to open the way, I reached a pretty fierce boss.  Before I got too far into this area, I had a bad feeling about being a Warrior and having no magic of my own, so I made a very long detour to return to town and class change back into a Minstrel.  After thoroughly exploring the dungeon, I finally reached the boss.

A very tough battle, and I leaned heavily on my magic to try and gain some ground against him.  After a long and arduous fight...

82615c45a8d2862200a92a802cd6e5c2efc6c30.

ã€ã‚·ãƒŠãƒªã‚ªã€‘守護者ラズãƒãƒ¼ãƒ³ã‚’ã¯ã˜ã‚ã¦å€’ã—ãŸï¼

According to Google Translate, that says:

"I defeated the first time [scenario] guardian Razuban!"

I have to give some credit to Saigan. He wasn't in my party, but his Let's Play videos allowed me to know where to go and advance the story so I could reach this boss and begin the battle.

As the demo progress will be kept for the retail version, I should start keeping track of my gameplay, shouldn't I? ;)

Day 1:

Not many surprises here. I knew the offline campaign from the beta phase, so I finished it pretty easily. I tried to create the same online character that I had in the beta, but I think I messed up the skin tone. :/ I plan to fix this, once I reach the beauty salon (which I saw in the DQX 1.5 trailer). I rushed through the initiatory campaign of the Weddies (except for the boss fight) and grinded up to level 10. Oh, btw, I decided to start as a thief this time, but I plan to change my class to Martial Artist later.

Day 2:

I cleared the storage quest and grinded up to level 11. Then I headed for the "dark fiancée" and beat it without big trouble. I traveled to Juretto, cleared the tavern quest and logged off for the day.

Day 3:

After logging in I received 4 friend requests. While 2 of them were Otana and Cranberry, I don't know who the other 2 were - I accepted anyway.

Screenshot%20-%2017_09.png

I decided to go for level ups south of Juretto and hired some offline players to accompany me. While we were fighting Man o' Wars an Ogre girl observed us. She talked to me, made that "thumbs-up-and-stars-flying-gesture" (I hope you know what I mean :D) and invited me to her party. Well, I accepted and tried to talk English to her in party chat. It didn't really work out. She kept using Kana and I kept using English ^^. We fought some monsters together, but weren't able to communicate.

That was when Cranberry contacted me! I greeted her and asked if she could help me in my current situation ^^. Well, she told me how to say "Do you speak English" in Romaji, but the answer of my new Japanese friend was neither ã¯ã„ nor ã„ã„ãˆ, so I don't know XD. We fought some more monsters, then she disbanded the party.

As Cranberry wasn't busy anyway, we decided to meet and level up together (finally someone I could understand :D).

She taught me how to reactivate party members and then we went top side of Juretto, a region I never saw before, as it was locked in the beta!

We avoided land mines (that appeared to be spawn item), waved to lifeless rocks (that appeared to be living Grinades) and had to deal with calamaris that were able to summon help AND revive their dead buddies. I died several times, but Cranberry's priest and Cranberry herself helped me up again and again. She even was so kind to share a Super Genki Dama with me, which doubled gold and EXP for the whole party - thanks again!

Later we collected blue shells in the underwater cave south of Juretto. They sell for more than 500G at the bazaar, so that's highly recommendable if you need money! One shell was guarded by a Tortoceratops, but Cranberry managed to defeat it without big trouble :).

Next we used the train and visited the Dowachakka continent (home of the dwarves). We quickly left Gatara and headed for the desert, a beautiful location with interesting monsters. We leveled more (or should I say, I leveled and Cranberry received some EXP? ^^) and even stopped at Doruwamu, the capital city of Dowachakka.

I had reached level 18 when Den member RagingAvatar contacted Cranberry! We decided to grind together and met him at Orufea on the Pukurando continent. Unfortunately he couldn't stay long, but it was late for me anyway, so I wasn't able to stay much longer as well. The funny thing was, that we had two RagingAvatars in our party :D, his warrior (offline) and his priest (online).

Screenshot%20-%2017_09%20005.png

He gained some levels and even used a 10 minute Genki Dama before he had to say goodbye.

It was pretty late in Germany and Cranberry was online for 7 hours anyway, so we decided to go for level 19 for my char and bid farewell afterwards.

I learned a lot while I traveled with Cranberry, so I'm glad she took the time to help me out! According to her request, to say thank you I serve a tasty slice of marshmallow pepperoni pizza! :D

marshmallow_pepperoni_pizza_by_mighty_tu

Some random shots:

Screenshot%20-%2017_09%20002.png

Screenshot%20-%2017_09%20003.png

Screenshot%20-%2017_09%20004.png

90915317_zpsc4526254.jpg

I actually remembered to take a picture of that Idol pose we got for the monster slaying event earlier. Not much going on for me since Kids Time is 1am-3am during weekends and I don't really feel like staying up that late.

However, I did level from 70 to 71 on nothing but EXP from people hiring me.

So ever since the first day I started trying the beta, which is 3 days ago, I've been helped by Cranberry to do lots of stuffs. Did some necessary quests to gain access to lots of things, and she helped me grind all the way to lv 20, on top of that she helped me with the Ranger quest and I became a ranger in just 2 days. I'm so thankful to her for showing me the ropes, hopefully in the future I can meet other Dragon Den's members too and play together!

Earlier today I went to grind all by myself, but then someone from my friendlist contacted me and asked me if I wanted to party. I accepted the offer and we fought some monsters in Glenn, using my very limited japanese skill to converse. At one point I had to apologize that I'm not really good with Japanese and I can't read kanji, he was surprisingly very cool with it and started using only hiragana and katakana for the rest of the day. We played and talked a lot after that. He then invited me to join his Team. I asked him if it's really okay since I don't speak japanese that well, but he said it's perfectly fine and so I joined his team, and gained access to his Team's uniform. It was cool!

I already bought the full game, and can't wait for it to arrive. I want to continue the main story as well.

We didn't do much yesterday story-wise, but bjaxx87 and I did explore a bit followed by some heavy exp grinding with Chimeras in the Juretto region. During the exp grind, we managed to get some type of scroll which I am not sure what they are really for, but bjaxx87 says they might be some kind of recipe? And I managed to clear a quest without really knowing about it (quest 23) where you have to deliver some Puku Berries I think they are called. We then proceeded to the addicting bazaar, where I found a decent staff for 300G, but I wasn't content and went for a higher priced, but better damage-output staff.

The slime stack has an awesome slime rain attack :)

20131004-1645_93588510_zps6b84188d.jpg

20131004-1647_93588689_zps16104ee8.jpg

20131004-1904_936039461_zpsf822ba50.jpg

20131004-1742_93595337_zpsf3b5fee6.jpg

The scrolls that drop are special request quests.  They ask you to fight a certain number of certain enemies for a reward.  Once you've accomplished the task it asks for, you report to a man in the pub in the northern island resort town to claim the reward.

You can also sell them for 100 gold to this same man if you don't think its worth doing the request.

I usually need Mimas's help for these since they are not numbered quests and since they are all random in what they want you to do, you can't just look up what they are asking.

I'll find you eventually Flute_Warrior.  We'll get a game in together sooner or later. 

The scrolls that drop are special request quests.  They ask you to fight a certain number of certain enemies for a reward.  Once you've accomplished the task it asks for, you report to a man in the pub in the northern island resort town to claim the reward.

You can also sell them for 100 gold to this same man if you don't think its worth doing the request.

I usually need Mimas's help for these since they are not numbered quests and since they are all random in what they want you to do, you can't just look up what they are asking.

Thanks for the info! These seem interesting. Guess I'll hold on to them for a while. So the rewards also vary in rarity? And might as well ask this while I'm at it, do certain monsters drop "better" scrolls?

I'll find you eventually Flute_Warrior.  We'll get a game in together sooner or later.

Speaking of which, I noticed my Hiroba character profile's location is stuck. I did move some settings in-game while attempting to find out the helmet disabling thing, though I made sure to put every option in its default setting after toying with them. Hopefully I didn't accidentally trigger some sort of communication option with my profile. I'll see if this fixes next time I log in.

EDIT: Nevermind. It seems to tell me my current location (whether I am online or not) only when I am logged in, though I don't remember it doing that before. Then again, I actually haven't played much to know how the profile interacts with my character :)

Edited by Flute_Warrior

Thanks for the info! These seem interesting. Guess I'll hold on to them for a while. So the rewards also vary in rarity? And might as well ask this while I'm at it, do certain monsters drop "better" scrolls?

Higher level monster = Better/Higher range of scroll rarity.

The reward is randomly decided on the scroll drop and is based on the number of stars it has.

You'll get the best results out of using them in a party of 4 people. That way everyone gets the reward. But y'know, they kind of clutter the inventory after a while, so if you're like me and have 20 different ones... you may want to go the less optimal approach and do some of them solo.  :P

I'm thinking since I've got a long weekend coming up (day off for Thanksgiving on Monday) that I might try to stay up for Kid's Time on Friday or Saturday and get a gameplay session in. I'm literally flooded with Super Genkidamas (19/20 and maxed on other types) and could use some help going through them. Dunno what I'll level, maybe Battle Master or something.

edit: Ugh scratch that, not feeling well.

Edited by krw703

A lot of magic water was spilled, but hey, I got my first key emblem! :D

By the way, if you haven't noticed they added a new feature to the hiroba website.

If you've refreshed your character pic recently you'll have a 3D option instead of the "zoom" option which never actually did anything. Opening this will load your character model in their battle stance in your browser, you can zoom in with the mousewheel, and rotate by clicking and dragging.

Very nice.

I, Mimas, and Cranberry challanged Dragon Gaia!

(and failed miserabily...)

I don't have a video of it, but today I fought Gaia Dragon again. This time, I was the one that had a card for him.

Mimas and I were talking about the problem of not having a proper party available to face him with.  I ended up asking Kei for help with this one.  Kei went as a Paladin and brought along a priest friend.  Mimas went as a Sage and I went as a Minstrel.

I have to give credit to Kei.  He really came through for us.  He pushed the dragon away from us, and was pretty good about getting away from the roar in time.  The Dragon managed to slip past him a few times, but he was quick to get back in front of it and push it away again.  The dragon did not like Mimas at all.  It would go straight for her when it got past Kei.  When that happened, I quickly revived Mimas and we got the situation under control again.  Mimas used attack magic and disruptive wave when the dragon made himself invulnerable.  The priest was on top of the healing and Kei was keeping him away from us, so I used my ice spells and long range fan abilities to add to the damage.  Working together like this, we were victorious!

To make the victory even better, the treasure chest contained the accessory!  This accessory increases HP by 25.  This is sure to be useful in my future battles!

Thanks to everyone who made the victory possible.

Ugh Dragon Gaia, I have no idea how I'll fit into the fight now that I think about it...

- 570 Defense so my MA only scratches for 10 damage without attack buffs... Wing Blow is an option for the fixed damage of the second hit or Cranberry since she's a Minstrel and... uh yeah... why am I worried about damage?

- If I do go on MA, I'll definitely need to buy gloves for the occasion. Henatos (atk down) is extremely helpful for it.

- Mage is only 62 (it says 61 but it'll be 62 when I login)

- I'll take no damage from his breath attack, but his double attacks would definitely instakill me.

My card for this runs out sometime Saturday (maybe earlier, but if it runs out before I return on Friday I do have a Dragon Gaia coin) so if I can't manage it with either MA or Mage then I'll just have to let the card expire. Afterwards we can totally do Atlas again, since I have a card for him, and bring Ashes with for sure.  :thumbsup:

Yessss! I am Best MP Battery NA! That said I don't have much competition since you know you can count the number of NA players on Magic Knight main on your hand.  Cause you know... 1.

On that note, I am at +90 HP.

Edited by Ashes

mage 62 is fine

keys are paladin and priest

best time for me and my teammate to be helper is around 19.00-22.00 japanese time

any jobs

Edited by kei

Yeah, you can do a much better job of offensive then I can as a Sage with your level 62 Mage. The only thing I had going for me was my high chance at spells going Haywire.

just finished King Hydra yesterday (newest boss)

setting = Fighter / Fighter / Priest / Priest

gears and preparing

Fighter

- breath damage defense 30%+

- dance defense 100%
- antidode (just 5-10 is ok)
- food = merasoma yakisoba

- Goldfinger / Tiger claw / Breath Wall / Limit break

Priest

- fire/ice breath damage defense (Water suit + shield)

- dance defense 100%

- kirakirapon etc.

walkthrough

- run behind wall if got angry (tanker; all must be wall if need)

- start fight with Breath Wall all member

- if poisoned, heal yourself

- when heads start talking > gold finger

- keep kirakirapon on

- hp 400+ for avoid 1 hit kill

10mins recorded

easier than baramos

About to pass out so I don't think I'll be able to make it online to do Dragon Gaia before the card expires. I do have a coin for it so can we make an attempt whenever.

Resubbing tomorrow morning, I'll see you all then!

Well I have 3 gaia dragon, 1 baramos, annd a belial cards that expire in 500ish hours soooo... if you guys want we can do those. I also have a bunch of the FF boss coins too. 

Well this was a pretty crazy weekend, started off with the Valentine's event:

\125493578_zps513ea106.jpg

Those chocolate Slime stacks were savored last in every single one of my battles for some reason.

Next up we did a marathon of the FFXI bosses which in the middle of doing we ran into:

125567847_zps503391a0.jpg

Woooo! Free money!

After that marathon we broke and I did some Superstar grinding to make my Angel Slime hat worthless. Eventually we decided to take a crack at the pyramid!

125721159_zpse55d8ebe.jpg

125743206_zps1ac4485a.jpg

Despite our cockiness, for various reasons we couldn't make it past the second room. The less we talk about those epic fails the better... at least we got to take it out on Atlas afterward and he dropped another Battle Choker.

As for today I just did a bunch of grinding to get Superstar to lv43 and Minstrel to lv44. I'm going to try a reasonable amount of grinding this time so I don't burn myself out and not want to see the game for a few weeks. :P

edit: Tried out AI in the pyramid to see how far I could get and cleared room 1 and 2 yesterday (2 gold bars... whyyyyy?!). This morning I gave room 3 a shot and it was absolutely no contest, the healing AI cannot keep up with the damage, those pink swords have way too much HP to take out quickly, and the spawn rate is really, really high for some reason.

Guess that's as far as I can get on my own.

edit: Go figure, just another bad party setup. Room 3 is very easy to do with AI with 2 Mages and 2 Priests.

Cran and I tried room 4 a few times after that, but a combination of enemy enemies spamming spells on her and the AI priest resulted in our deaths a few times. Oh, that and the spawn time for the next mobs are randomized and we got a really, really quick one.

Still kind of tired from being on for like 10 hours yesterday and was up til 2am, so I only wanted to try a few attempts. Sorry I had to duck out there.

Edited by krw703

Hello! I'm new to the forums and I started playing Dragon Quest X yesterday.

I ended my day yesterday by beating the first Boss in online mode...I forgot his name though.

Currently going strong as a level 8 Rogue/Thief (what's the appropriate translation for 盗賊?).

Looking forward to explore more of the Dragon Quest X world :)

Edited by Reizouko
  • Upvote 1

Today we tackled Baramos and King Hydra. The 2nd was added at the end of January to the labyrinth. Both fights were pretty crazy, and I ended up being the hydra's chew toy quite a bit. However, we persevered and won the day! HOORAY! 

EQxYIFI.jpg

Oh and obligatory dance party afterwards.

x1dZjpJ.jpg

Looks like you went with an unconventional party (every one seems to do this with two fighters and two priests)

But then, so did I. :)

I don't have much of a choice though since Paladin is the only class I can fight a coin boss with.  It's the only one I even have over Lv 60 really (except for theif which I just use to steal stuff).

Still, I had to beat the stupid thing 8 times to make the hydra belt since it wouldn't give me anything but fragments. :P

Edited by Sai

Took another stab at the pyramid with an all AI party again this week:

Room 1 (MA, MA, Magic Knight/Minstrel, Priest)

- This room is like clockwork, it's so ridiculously easy with this setup that you basically cannot lose. Got a gold stone... so I guess it showed me.

Room 2 (MA, MA, Magic Knight/Minstrel, Priest)

- As long as your AI has a great amount of HP (aim for 420 or more on all) it is just as easy as the first room. Y'know, provided that you don't get spammed with desperate attacks when the boss spawns. Got a gold bar for this one... Shoot

Room 3 - 1 (2 Mages, 2 Priests)

- Wiped out early on. Those pink and gray swords get me so often.

Room 3 - 2 (same)

- Swords spawned as the first groups, made it easy to take them out early since they spawn in a group in the middle rather than at the corners. Easy win. Got the attack increasing broach for my MA.

Room 4 (2 Mages, 2 Priests)

- I think this room was basically pure luck for me. The boulders didn't use Megante so I didn't die, I made sure to take them out one at a time in order to reduce the chances several would be at low HP. AI Mage ran out of MP several times so make sure to bring MP recovery items if doing this with AI. Got the Weight-increasing broach for this win.

I stopped here since I don't really know what classes to bring to room 5 or 6, was getting tired and there was like no one in the pyramid... on server 1... to revive if I died. Still 4/6 rooms with AI and only 1 wipe out? Very impressive. :thumbsup:

Yes it is...  I tried doing pyrimid with Support membrs the first time to see how far I could go and struggled through the first level, and then was soundly pummeled in the second.  I said to myself, "Never again..."