Sign in to follow this  
zanchan

Gameplay journal

The mage gear I got for my birthday did wonderfully in the battle.  Mimas played as a Paladin, Matt and I were Mages, and Krw played as Priest.  Great jobs all around, a good team victory.

It was quite honestly exactly what I needed at that point in time. Tried the week previously and the attempts were basically complete busts with a lucky win on a practice, and tried earlier in the day with kei resulting in a 3 loss streak with none of them even close. Our first attempt together only went slightly sour due to Mimas not wearing trip guard boots and even then it was still manageable. Then we left, got the boots and... yeah... is there really anything to say? Basically every fight was like that video.

I know it goes without saying, and I already basically said it in-game but it doesn't hurt to say it again. We are completely ready for Ruin and those runs were awesome.

A little while back, I did some more preparations for Regnad basically doing slight gear touch ups, buying some useful items, and grabbing a few gems to really get the most out of mage. I decided that on my next day off, if it was Regnad III or IV that I would take an honest shot at going to him with randoms. I had Monday off and as luck would have it the strongest version of Regnad was the version of the day.

Granted, I didn't try very hard to find randoms until I confirmed that Cran and Mimas were working, as I didn't want to ditch them if they wanted to go. I also didn't do a direct invite so they wouldn't have to turn me down because of work. No guilt trips here, just confirming if anyone wanted to go and then having at it because otherwise I would spent another day off crafting or doing boring grinding again.

The first party I went with was rather great. We were on pace in dps in every single attempt, but we could not seal the deal. The most heart-breaking of all was the very last attempt... it was going completely perfect with Regnad far, far, FAR into red and then...

激怒 (Infuriation)

Random infuriation to a spell... not anger which is also semi-random but usually based on how much damage you do to Regnad after he reaches 50% so it is more predictable. Roared, Paladin forgot to apply pressure, and we did not recover. There was 6min left on the clock and we basically had a flawless victory torn away in an instant by a complete disaster. Cooking ran out, and this being a 1 cooking use duration party, we said our goodbyes. I wanted to keep going!

I threw myself on party finder while I looked for another party and surprisingly got an invite rather quickly. You can only see 30 people at a time on party finder and there are like dozens of mages so I figured I had no chance. This party was clearly not as good as the previous one I went with and it looked like it was going to be the start of a very long day of attempts for me. However, despite this it was not hopeless, we were still very much on pace in every attempt in terms of dps (yellow at 12min left) so we still had a legitimate shot to down him before the 20min timer crushed our dreams.

I was using quite a bit more Yggdrasil Dew with this party as the priest seemed to fall behind on healing. It didn't bother me as I had my eyes on the prize, and going all out to prevent a horrific disaster like I had experienced with the first party when we totally had it... well, we were nearing the time limit on our cooking again and this was indeed a 1 cooking usage time only party. Regnad in red, several minutes left on the clock... and... AND...

AND!!!!

314051758_zpslbdu0ccl.jpg

2016/03/15

常闇ã®ç«œãƒ¬ã‚°ãƒŠãƒ¼ãƒ‰ï¼©ï¼¶ã‚’ã¯ã˜ã‚ã¦å€’ã—ãŸï¼

常闇を切り裂ã者ã®ç§°å·ã‚’å¾—ãŸï¼

17:22 clear time.

Oh yeeeeeeeah! Completely caught up in the victory and finally grabbing the title was one thing but that wasn't even the best part of it. The priest of the party was a little worried about the item usage I was forced to do during the battle. So much so that the paladin (I assume they're friends) actually traded me 5 Yggdrasil Dew to compensate for the ones I used.

I couldn't help but do a little conversing in Japanese after the trade that basically went like this:

"First clear of IV!"

Which was met with the usual round of congrats and then followed by something that you could easily paraphrase into. "Wait... WHAT?"

The priest was rather surprised that it was my first clear of Regnad IV, saying that it's pretty hard to believe that a mage like me didn't have the title yet. Noting that at least in the future it will be way easier for me to find parties obviously referring to having the title which is the definitive proof that you've cleared it.

I, of course, did not mention that I had never cleared III either and that I've only defeated Regnad 10 times in total. The heart attack caused from saying it was my first clear of IV was enough.  :P

Speaking of III:

314083468_zps2zw4ynv4.jpg

常闇ã®ç«œãƒ¬ã‚°ãƒŠãƒ¼ãƒ‰ï¼©ï¼©ï¼©ã‚’ã¯ã˜ã‚ã¦å€’ã—ãŸï¼

After the reset he just happened to be the next day's version of Regnad. So I quickly grabbed a victory on him too, it's pretty fun to see the entry for III basically right after IV in my journal on the hiroba site.  :)

I have channeled my frustration of watching others going to Regnad without me into saving my gold towards my 3 part Regnad plan:

40% Breath Resistance Top

40% Breath Resistance Shield

+50 Weight Boots

I am determined to become a valuable Paladin for this.  The 40% breath resistance top goal I have achieved.  It cost me 3,890,000 gold.

I've been working very hard on getting more gold to my name in pursuit of the remaining two.  I've even been getting up late at night to squeeze an extra material run into the day.  I've gone from 0 to 2 million in a relatively short time.

I will be invited to Regnad again, I vow it!

Yesterday Ashes and I tried out the battle road arena.  If you're not familiar with this, it allows you to play the monster arena and co-operate with other people.  This means its not PVP, you are fighting against computer controlled monsters.

There are 3 difficulty levels, which correspond to the number of prizes you receive.  The more prizes you get, the harder the battle is.  But the hardest is far and away what I will call the "Boss" fight.  Unlike the normal battles, this is not 3 rounds.  It's only 1 round, but you face very formidable foes.  As of the time of this posting, only the first boss is available.  The next should be released later today.

It is worth noting that the game will do auto-matching if you don't have a full team but it won't just do purely random matches, it always wants a healer in an auto-matched party.  You might consider going as a Heal Slime yourself if you're solo.  You're probably a lot more likely to get matched if you play a healer yourself.  Ashes and I had a lot of trouble getting matched up.

Today was filled with a loooot of co-op battle road aaaaand...

de9d6deade.jpg

71353a860d.jpg

"Where's Waldo?"  Yeah, I got that ugly outfit.  Had a stream on the side mentioning there were 15 more minutes before they appeared, so I rushed to Episu Hills since I wasn't doing anything productive at the time.  Took ~7 tries to get into the map with all the players already there.  As ugly as that outfit is, though...

fa5ff6f804.jpg

Pukos make it look good.  This dwarf, however...

06fc93f5f8.jpg

Cannot unsee.

Edited by Phanir

After a few rather crazy requirements in the palace the last few resets, it seems that the change to make that "X amount of people dead = fail" restriction show up less often is working, haven't seen it for the last few resets but I am sure it'll pop up again eventually. The current setup for rooms 1 to 3 is rather surprising though as even without that strict restriction the 2nd and 3rd rooms are usually difficult...

316373014_zps37htbfjy.jpg

This time? They are not... the boss battle is the 2 False Heroes fight so you'll want paralyze, seal and dark resist.

Room 1: 20min time limit, cannot use yggdrasil leaf, yggdrasil dew or elfen elixir. Don't worry about accidentally picking them, they are greyed out in your item list in battle.

Pretty much standard requirements for room 1 at this point. If you find yourself low on healers you may want to pick a class that can revive since you can't use items for it.

Room 2: 18min time limit, Tamer, Item Master, Priest only, must know 150 skill for your class.

The most difficult of the 3 rooms this time but that isn't really saying much. The difficulty depends on the rest of your party, I swear the item masters I got matched up with didn't have a clue what they were doing... guys, you have hammers? Please stun shot the boss I am walling for you so they don't kill me. Or y'know, wall them after I blind them because as a tamer I'm supposed to be a dps...

Room 3: 16min time limit, Thief and Sage only, Whips and Magic Staffs only, must know 140 skill for weapon.

Assuming you are familiar with thief and why they are so blatantly strong for these fights, it will come off as no surprise that this fight is easy. Kumono works from time to time to trip either boss, they can be blinded by spark shot, and surprise  rush/treasure hunter can create a very long string of stunlocks. Sage can remove their scapeguard buffs as well, not to forget that the 140 whip skill also removes buffs (although if they get a physical damage guard that won't work).

You don't even need that many thieves. My group had 3 including me and it was a complete smackdown.

When I saw the requirements this time I i knew they'd be easy, but this easy? For the first time ever I can say that it is possible to clear all 3 rooms within an hour with randoms without any crazy luck.

I was out of town this weekend for Easter, so here is what might have happened had I been here.

I may have run several material runs over the 3-day weekend and earned the 1,300,000 gold I need for 50 weight boots.  This might have gotten me that last item I need to be ready for Regnad, and we totally might have taken him on.

We might have brought Meimei to the fight, and then unleash a fury of magic on him as I kept him away and laughed off his breath attacks.  This totally might have happened.

Then, we might have encountered Terry in a magic labyrinth and he might have had a Ruin accessory for me.  I might have then done 2 fusions on my accessories and got an awesome bonus!  This might have been!

Next, Krw and I might have gone to Pyramid 8 and 9, and we might have shouted at those pesky room 8 bosses that love to spam golden shower and roar moves.  It might have been a very frustrating fight!

Finally, we may have gone to the dark temple.  I totally might have gone in as a class completely unprepared for the fight, and spent 20 minutes running in circles screaming as the bosses chased me.

This is how the weekend might have been had I been here!

I was out of town this weekend for Easter, so here is what might have happened had I been here.

I may have run several material runs over the 3-day weekend and earned the 1,300,000 gold I need for 50 weight boots.  This might have gotten me that last item I need to be ready for Regnad, and we totally might have taken him on.

We might have brought Meimei to the fight, and then unleash a fury of magic on him as I kept him away and laughed off his breath attacks.  This totally might have happened.

Then, we might have encountered Terry in a magic labyrinth and he might have had a Ruin accessory for me.  I might have then done 2 fusions on my accessories and got an awesome bonus!  This might have been!

Next, Krw and I might have gone to Pyramid 8 and 9, and we might have shouted at those pesky room 8 bosses that love to spam golden shower and roar moves.  It might have been a very frustrating fight!

Finally, we may have gone to the dark temple.  I totally might have gone in as a class completely unprepared for the fight, and spent 20 minutes running in circles screaming as the bosses chased me.

:'( (Is sad that you and I might not have done anything together this weekend)

;)

On a serious note, I've been having problems with my primary Internet, so I haven't been able to be on DQX for almost 2 weeks....... Hopefully I'll be back soon...

:'( (Is sad that you and I might not have done anything together this weekend)

;)

On a serious note, I've been having problems with my primary Internet, so I haven't been able to be on DQX for almost 2 weeks....... Hopefully I'll be back soon...

Looks like you're okay to me.

Hm?

I can use my phone's network for little stuff like posting here, but my data plan isn't big enough to handle playing DQX... ^ ^;

Edited by MKVarana

Last night, just as I was about to log off and go to bed, a Japanese player messaged me.  I think this is someone that I accidently added to my friend list as I don't really know them and don't really recognize them.  They messaged me in Hiragana, but Google Translate gave a nonsensical translation so I really had no idea what they were asking me.  So I gave a fairly generic answer of "OK!" and figured I'd see what happened.  I get a party invite from them, so obviously I've agreed to help them do something.  I just don't know what.

I accept the party invite.  Having no idea what I have gotten myself into, I decide to change classes to Warrior.  Just about anything we are doing, I can go to as a Warrior and there isn't already one in the party.  There don't appear to be any objections to me being a Warrior.  I notice they are starting to warp to the pyramid.  Oh, so that's what I've agreed to.  Well, Warrior actually does Pyramid just fine so I'm a good class.

Inside the pyramid, one of them says something specifically to me after I get onto my 2-person mount.  I'm not sure what they are saying, but based on them having just seen my mount and getting off their own mount, I'm guessing they want a ride.  So I let them catch up to me.  Yep, that was it.  They wanted to ride on it.  Sure, no problem.

We end up doing 4 pyramid rooms, and then the group starts saying goodbye.  Looks like someone had to go.  So the party gets broken apart.  I log off and head to bed.

I'm not sure if any of them realized that I wasn't understanding what they were saying.  But to my own credit, I did pretty well at communicating without words, and figuring out what was going on just by watching them and guessing at what they wanted based on the context of what was going on.

The good thing about me being a Warrior is nobody really had to tell me what to do.  Axe meet monster, that's the bulk of it.

Yesterday Mimas and I took on the battle road.  All of the bosses have been revealed now, with the final one being none other than Killer Crimson!

Fortunately you do not have to fight all the bosses in order, so per my request we skipped ahead and took on Crimson.

Unlike the normal version of Killer Crimson, here you only fight 1 of them.  He may not be quite as strong as his normal form, but he is still quite formidable.

Once he gets to about 50% health, he summons a smaller robot to the field.  This robot won't stay around for long though; he'll sacrifice that robot to put regeneration on himself, which heals him for 200 HP per tick.  If you gang up on the robot immediately, you just might be able to take it out before he can sacrifice it; easier said than done as he wastes no time in sacrificing the bugger.

Blindness can work on Crimson, and I'd argue it's almost essential to have it.  We had a Battle Rex on our team that knew blindness and it was essential to our victory.   You also definitely want someone to have a special ability that restores the party's MP; this is an arduous and very long battle, and once you're out of MP, you're toast.

I want to say it took us something like 25 minutes to beat him.

One huge tip, it's possible to dodge his ground based attack by jumping.  This requires some pretty precise timing, but it's possible.

Thanks to being partnered with some really good randoms, we actually beat Crimson on our first attempt, but I can definitly see this guy taking multiple tries to top.  He is no pushover and an unprepared team is unlikely to outlast him.

I am not sure if this has been asked, but what is Estark's role in DQX? And how powerful is he in it? What did he do?

I am not sure if this has been asked, but what is Estark's role in DQX? And how powerful is he in it? What did he do?

Estark and all other old DQ bosses (Nocturn, Baramos, etc) are all just for fun. There's a nice long quest chain, but it was never intended to be a permanent part of the game. He was just so popular Square-Enix kept him around.

So! April fools was today in Japan! So what did we do? We got a painting... IN THE RAIN! I mean look at the quality of this thing!

W3nlwfq.jpg

But really it took you to a neat boss fight with this little guy....

9Y9Xz1i.jpg

That angle was about the only angle I could get where he'd even MOSTLY fit on my screen. You also get 1 gold per HP that he has! The rest is hush hush!

Edited by Ashes

I am wondering, can someone tell me what the final boss was trying to do in this story, if that causes spoilers, can someone PM me? I am trying to collect lore for the Dragon Quest series. 

Just search "story" in this forum. That gave me a LOT of results to read through. However, I had a thread a while back (over a year ago) where I had gave my rendition of the 1.0 story. Plus, I think there are wiki posts with the information you're asking for.

Regnad didn't go quite as I'd hoped, and I found that I need some additional equipment.  I've resumed my material runs and aggressive gold earning in pursuit of what I still need.

I can see why a lot of people don't like to play as a Paladin.  There really is a lot of pressure put on you in the role.

I miss you guys! Hopefully I'll be able to play again soon.

Once I get my gaming pc, I'm going to be all over this. Do you still need a vpn?

Last night was fun.

94a0fc5c25.png

So much progress made hanging with Krw, Polan, and Arc.  Cheers!

613385854c.png

The weekend was a mixed bag.

Let's start with the good.

Last weekend, I got the news that I still needed an expensive piece of gear for Regnad.  A bit frustrating, but I set out for it and continued the hard work.  I rasied what I needed and purchased both the pants and gloves I needed.  As far as gear goes, I'm probably now the most well equipped Paladin we have for Regnad.

Now, it's a matter of practicing the battle itself.

One of my main goals was taking Meimei to Regnad and getting her a victory.  Regnad was level 1 on Saturday so we went for it.  In the end, we did get her the victory, though not quite the way I had imagined it.  Someone else ended up playing the Paladin and I was a Mage.  I am glad that we won and that I was a part of the victory, but next time I do want to pull it off as a Paladin; that is what I spent all this time and effort working towards after all.  At least with practicing, that is something I can do with AI to my hearts content.

I have noticed something though, and that is that these really tough bosses seem to be tearing the team apart, in that we keep fighting amongst ourselves.  We have to be mindful about how we treat one another.  Often times we end up being our own worst enemies.

I did some training against Regnad with AI.  I lasted nearly 9 minutes against his level 3 version with my all AI team-mates.  And we apparently got him below 75% health as he started using the lightning attack.

I'm working on trying to predict his roar and "slap dodge" it, but the AI stands so close to me that it's hard to judge if I did it right or not.  This is definitely a risky move.  If you do it too early, Regnad runs directly to this chosen target and unleashes his fury.  It's better to get hit by the roar and knocked down for a bit than to mess it up and give Regnad a clear path to his target.

Hey guys.

Just wanted to let you know that my internet issue has FINALLY been resolved, so I intend to be back this weekend!

Edited by MKVarana
  • Upvote 1

I think I'm going to order v3 while I'm in Alaska so I can play when I get home. From where should I order a physical copy? Pay-Asia?