Sign in to follow this  
zanchan

Gameplay journal

Guess who's human again!?

This handsome fella!

gallery_7080_34_56223.jpg

Edited by Saigan

Hey, I know all of you are all posting your online adventures in here, but it's not a problem if I also talk about offline content too is it?

So, I went through the tutorial and bid farwell to my "main" character, and then moved on to take control of the sibling, whom is the main character for me!

Cranberry Dragon Quest X style!

c17257f447a58db380125e78c8b330295be2117.jpg78835d614117acf8da5d842f276960b2bde70c0.png

Though you all here probaby don't know about her, Cranberry is a re-occuring character of mine, and I really like how accurately Dragon Quest X lets me portray her. Even the red hair bow is available!

It took me a while to figure out how to get to the first shrine. I actually missed the Alchamy place tucked between the Inn and storage place at first. I actually ended up accidently deleting the character when I was working my way through the Japanese menues, but I re-created the character and worked my way through offline again, this time knowing things a lot better and having a better feel for the alchamy system.

The beach near the town is very atmospheric. How about a pleasant stroll?

bbb15744a0d48d2b6ef48fb83cd44b1241651fb.png71235ba64284ac09dad28a3b2c030a96cf957d6.png6a91534fadd28c26f9af4caf0fd5e0b37b2d9a8.png

The last one really reminds me of the "Seaside" area on Phantasy Star Online Episode 1 & 2. It really is a beautiful place at night. The costume here is a result of alchamey. Its defensive stats are lacking but it seemed appropriate for a night time beach scene. The colors blend well with the background and present a nice appearance.

Speaking of alchamy, it took a bit of effort but I was able to get some nice armor.

1f125234bfa88da18b52770deb9cb10a3c6d97b.pnge3c15d4ba9d18c2a27a735ee4f64e163518240f.png

This reminds me of "Erdrick's Armor" from Dragon Warrior 1. I really like the look of it. It looks so regal and elegant. It really gives the character a serious and competant look to her, something you wouldn't really expect from a young girl like this. But the armor really makes a difference with the impression the character leaves.

I have several pages of notes where I've scribbled down what the japanese names represent for items that I needed for alchamey ingrediants. It's hard to make stuff when you can't read anything, but I was able to piece things together and totally completed my alchamey listings. I was also able to complete all 12 offline quests and figure out what everyone is wanting. I'm thinking about writing a guide for the offline mode. I've noticed there are no english guides out there, and even the Japanese guides seem to be really bare-bones for offline mode.

I recently completed the offline campain, and while I don't understand the story, it was a lot of fun. This is a really nice take on the Dragon Quest series and I really enjoyed exploring my little chunk of the Dragon Quest world here. I plan to revisit the shrines and see if there might be any hidden secrets hidden in this little world.

I still need to get around to the offline portion of the game. Does finishing it unlock anything special for the online portion of the game?

One of the Japanese guides I looked at and did a google translate to said this:

"Adventures in offline now complete. Side data online, has been awarded the equipment there."

And another guide I google translated had this statement:

"After the event, "aゴキゲンhat" is delivered by mail to the character of online."

Now, during the ending sequence of the offline mode, my character seemed to be praying or meditating, and sent some kind of light flying into the sky. This scene might have been to signify that my offline character was sending something to my online character, and the translations here of those Japanese guides, especailly the second one, seems to support that clearing offline has an online benefit. Based on the second statement, it sounds like some kind of hat is delivered via mail to your online character after you clear the offline campain. Since I have no online access, I am unable to verify this. But based on those guides and the in-game "light to the sky" event, it certianly looks like you'll get something for your online character.

I still need to get around to the offline portion of the game. Does finishing it unlock anything special for the online portion of the game?

You get the silly hat for online mode lol.

About a week ago Mimas and her mother took Yukin and I through our first random dungeon which holds some similarity to the DQIX grottos. Here's the vid!

It was pointed out to me recently that I messed up the name in Katakana of my character and the name was Ku Ra N Be Ru. So I remade the character and fixed the name.

01c350bc4ad5a98fd234872722a73bd59a6acf3.

That's better, Ku Ra N Be Ri- Cranberry! I re-played the offline campaign and utalized alchamey to get my gear back, including this rather regal armor that I'm wearing, which as far as I can tell is the best armor available in the offline mode. I have really been enjoying this game, and I really didn't mind re-playing it. It's a bit short, but it's been quite fun.

When I first started the game, I didn't know anything at all. Everything was a mystery to me and especially with no english guides anywhere, I was totally on my own. Through trial and error, and matching up text with item names, I have as far as I know, figured out everything there is to with the offline game. I've determined how to clear all 12 client quests, and I've figured out all of the alchamey recipies. I'm in the process of writing an engish guide for the offline game that I plan to submit to GameFAQs, and with a little help from a friend I got some spell descriptions translated so I could understand what a few of the spells were doing, and he translated the stats page for me too.

Fortunately, the stats seem to be exactly the same as Dragon Quest X, except with the addition of a Weight stat.

Here's the stat page translation, and special thanks to DeviFox for providing initial translations, which I've then changed into Dragon Quest 9 terminology:

7a6355db42c6a1add89f86e22a2c65d6f707285.

From top to bottom in order:

MAX HP
MAX MP
Attack
Defense
Magical Might
Magical Mending
Strength
Agility
Resilience
Deftness
Charm
Style
Weight

The 3 categories at the top are: Base, Equipment, and Set respectively.

I've also done some testing to see if there was any difference other than appearance between a male and female character.

At level 20, I compared the smallest girl to the tallest male that you can make. They both had identical stats. In fact, as odd as it sounds, even their "weight" stat was the same. In offline mode, the only difference is that females can wear the Dangerous Bikini Top and Dangerous Bikini Midrift and males can't. There is no male exclusive armor that I have found offline. The bikini has the highest Style bonus available in the offine game, thus females can get a higher style than males should they choose to wear this. It's defensive stats are quite weak though so you probably wouldn't want to wear it into a serious battle despite it's nice style bonus; you'll likely take quite a pounding if you try it. Aside from the bikini availability, the genders are equal offline.

As far as I can tell, there is no way to change your vocation offline. I'm not even sure what your vocation is offline. The character reminds me of the protagonist from Dragon Warrior 1, with a nice balance of strength and magic. If I had to guess, I'd say you are basically a special "Hero" class just like in Dragion Warrior 1 and 3.

Offline, I've not seen any other races, except for monsters of course. Everyone I've encountered that isn't an enemy has been a human. I have not yet found any post-game additions to the offline mode. I'm going to take another stroll around the world and leave no stone unturned, but so far it doesn't look like there is anything extra to do offline once you've finished the game. I haven't given up hope yet that there might be a bonus dungeon or some secret boss to fight. If I find anything, I'll be sure to post it.

Edited by Cranberry

It is a bit late.... but Mimas was pretending to be a Mimic.

gallery_7080_34_53959.jpg

Edited by Saigan
  • Upvote 1

Cranberry Vs. Balzack in a 1-on-1 battle in the offline mode.

He's quite a challenge without any party members to back you up!

Edited by Cranberry

This seems to be a topic on our play experiences so I shall post here.

I have played the game for about 3 days now and I am enjoying it so far.

The first portion of the game was relatively easy though it did take me a bit of time to figure out exactly what was going on. I managed to defeat it within a day and went into the online mode soon afterwards. I was then struck by the vast difference in power level between the online and offline versions of the game, especially with the amount of gold you get off of monsters.

I decided to play an elf primarily because I wanted to be purple though I also think the wings are a cute feature. The principle storyline of the elf seems to have a lot of intrigue especially since it feels so Japanese in both setting and characters. I have only made it to level 18 so far as a monk but I am enjoying what story I am able to understand and read. (Fuura's doll is so cute). 

There don't seem to be many people near the beginning towns anymore but the hub cities are chock full of actual players. I guess I missed the initial rush of the game back in august. I have seen some of the strangest outfits and costumes on these people and I wonder how they get them. Probably events. 

Once I get to level 20 and can change my job, I want to try the other classes and level them up as well, it seems much easier since I never seem to make enough money to keep up with equipment. I also have not yet decided on a craft because I don't know where any of the trade guilds are. The people at crafting locations in Azlan, for example, keep telling me to go to other cities to learn the trade.

By the way, am I only able to choose one profession or can I change it later like my job? Thanks in advance for answering. I was thinking alchemy since that feels traditional to the series.

Regarding the skill system after level 10, I have looked at some of the skills and the class specific skills seem more powerful than any of the weapon or shield type abilities. Hence, I have been putting all my points into Shinko (for the monk) and I plan on doing the same with other classes. Both the active abilities and passive abilities seem far better, at least on paper. Hopefully, this is the correct choice, at least at first. 

It also seems that exploring is very much rewarded in the game with both chests and ingredients for item crafting. The landscape of the game looks really nice on the WiiU and the music is nicely orchestrated and feels properly placed.

So far I am having fun and feel free to give any first time advice on my approach to playing the game. I plan to level all the classes at some point because variety is the spice of life. I know that will make it take much longer to get to the higher levels but the game seems to encourage it. I plan to focus on class specific skills as well. Those are my major choices so far. Let me know if I'm doing something wrong.

Thank you for reading.

A brief update on my own ravels: Purple Key Emblem obtained! I was disappointed with the Megistorisu quest for the emblem as there was no real dungeon to visit and both boss fights involved were in the same tower in the same room.

There don't seem to be many people near the beginning towns anymore but the hub cities are chock full of actual players. I guess I missed the initial rush of the game back in august. I have seen some of the strangest outfits and costumes on these people and I wonder how they get them. Probably events. 

Once I get to level 20 and can change my job, I want to try the other classes and level them up as well, it seems much easier since I never seem to make enough money to keep up with equipment. I also have not yet decided on a craft because I don't know where any of the trade guilds are. The people at crafting locations in Azlan, for example, keep telling me to go to other cities to learn the trade.

By the way, am I only able to choose one profession or can I change it later like my job? Thanks in advance for answering. I was thinking alchemy since that feels traditional to the series.

Regarding the skill system after level 10, I have looked at some of the skills and the class specific skills seem more powerful than any of the weapon or shield type abilities. Hence, I have been putting all my points into Shinko (for the monk) and I plan on doing the same with other classes. Both the active abilities and passive abilities seem far better, at least on paper. Hopefully, this is the correct choice, at least at first. 

All the good equipment is at the bazaar. You can change the color of equipment by going to Megistorisu and using flowers and money to dye the outfit.

For crafting you can change crafts until you reach level 10 in a craft. Then if you take a quest to get past level 10 in that craft you will not be able to change any more.

Weapon: Glen

Sewing: Jyuretto

Armor: Dowarmu

Craft Tools: Rendoa

Lamp Alchemy: Rakkuran

Jar Alchemy: Rendoa

For Priest going with the Shinkou Trait is the best idea. You might find putting skills into claws handy for leveling up faster for martial artist. You can change them latter (for a price) so you don't have to worry too much about it.

A brief update on my own ravels: Purple Key Emblem obtained! I was disappointed with the Megistorisu quest for the emblem as there was no real dungeon to visit and both boss fights involved were in the same tower in the same room.

I don't like that story.

So far I am having fun and feel free to give any first time advice on my approach to playing the game. I plan to level all the classes at some point because variety is the spice of life. I know that will make it take much longer to get to the higher levels but the game seems to encourage it. I plan to focus on class specific skills as well. Those are my major choices so far. Let me know if I'm doing something wrong.

Thank you for reading.

Not sure if you want these suggestions now, but keep them in mind for later use.

The easiest way to level is to get ã°ãã‚Œã¤ã‘ã‚“ in the ã‹ãã¨ã† tree. Especially because all classes can use it. Furthermore, you want to get as much ã¡ã‹ã‚‰ã€€passive from all the classes to maximize the damage. Also +MP passives to keep you leveling longer.

Items wise, you'll want to get ã²ã‚‰ã‚ãã®ã‚†ã³ã‚ ASAP, it is a very crucial accessory that regenerates MP after each battle, パワーベルト, a +damage accessory, and ã¡ã‹ã‚‰ã®ãƒšãƒ³ãƒ€ãƒ³ãƒˆ, another +damage accessory. These are all small medal items. I believe 55~60 medals in total. Not that hard if you count the black chest medals and 100 monster reward medals.

Back to passives, I recommend getting these skills early:

Any Class That Has It: ã°ãã‚Œã¤ã‘ã‚“ (level 47 in one class [盗賊 recommended, since you won't immediately need its passives], or 100 points spread across multiple classes)

æˆ¦å£«ï¼šã€€ã¡ã‹ã‚‰ï¼‹ï¼• (level 20) ã¡ã‹ã‚‰ï¼‹ï¼• (level 31)

æ­¦é—˜å®¶ï¼šã€€ã¡ã‹ã‚‰ï¼‹ï¼‘ï¼ã€€(level 31)

é­”法使ã„: 魔çµç•Œã€€ï¼ˆyou need this to unlock 魔法戦士), MP+10 (level 20)

These classes you will need help unlocking:

é­”法戦士: ã¡ã‹ã‚‰ï¼‹ï¼‘ï¼, MP+10 (level 19)

ãƒãƒˆãƒ«ãƒžã‚¹ã‚¿ãƒ¼ï¼šã€€ã¡ã‹ã‚‰ï¼‹ï¼•ã€€(level 16)

After that, work on getting the HP passives from 戦士ã€ã€€æ­¦é—˜å®¶ã€ã€€ãƒ‘ラディンã€ã€€é­”法戦士 which is relatively high up the tree. As well as completing the ã¡ã‹ã‚‰ã€€passives and MP passives.

Around the level 40 mark, ã°ãã‚Œã¤ã‘ã‚“ will not be as effective on leveling, so you'll want to pick up a weapon somewhere. Rerolling ã‹ãã¨ã† into 爪 might be best (rerolling requires a relatively tough quest, though. Ask for help.). With the タイガークロー skill, Level 盗賊 as much as possible, since having higher levels allow you to hire higher level support, which will help with further leveling.

Figure out which class you want to main, then plan your further leveling.

Edited by kensou

I don't like that story.

Got the Kamiharumui Key Emblem last night, I enjoyed it more than the Megistorisu but it still didn't feel as epic as the Gatoranto arc.

Currently lv21 on Thief and Warrior with 2/5 of the beginner key emblems collected. Other than the emptiness of my friends list, it's been tons of fun so far and the benefits of joining late are definitely showing. The established in-game market makes it super easy to make money and the amount of players with high HP/MP counts and Multifist that are up to hire as AI partners makes levelling and advancing the story much easier for players without those passive bonuses.

That being said, the grind is definitely starting to show. It takes me quite a bit of time to level at Arrow Imps but that may be because I've been using a full party rather than just one support.

Just one question. Where do I change my standing animation at? I know it can be done and the default animation is kind of dull.

And I really need to stop using this free vpn. I swear it likes to lag spike at the worst possible times.

Edited by krw703

Currently lv21 on Thief and Warrior with 2/5 of the beginner key emblems collected. Other than the emptiness of my friends list, it's been tons of fun so far and the benefits of joining late are definitely showing. The established in-game market makes it super easy to make money and the amount of players with high HP/MP counts and Multifist that are up to hire as AI partners makes levelling and advancing the story much easier for players without those passive bonuses.

That being said, the grind is definitely starting to show. It takes me quite a bit of time to level at Arrow Imps but that may be because I've been using a full party rather than just one support.

Just one question. Where do I change my standing animation at? I know it can be done and the default animation is kind of dull.

And I really need to stop using this free vpn. I swear it likes to lag spike at the worst possible times.

You must be really fast, because I only just got to level 20 on my monk ( I don't think priest is the proper translation of that word). It takes me some time to get through events because I don't recognize some of the Kanji. I decided, by the way, to go for lamp alchemy because the abilities it offers are quite useful in certain situations. As far as getting money, I don't use the trade shop very much primarily because it seems wasteful of all those components that you might need later. I will, however, probably be able to make money using my alchemy once I get it high enough.

I haven't fully noticed a slow down quite yet, but I have been taking my time since the beginning.

You must be really fast, because I only just got to level 20 on my monk ( I don't think priest is the proper translation of that word). It takes me some time to get through events because I don't recognize some of the Kanji. I decided, by the way, to go for lamp alchemy because the abilities it offers are quite useful in certain situations. As far as getting money, I don't use the trade shop very much primarily because it seems wasteful of all those components that you might need later. I will, however, probably be able to make money using my alchemy once I get it high enough.

I haven't fully noticed a slow down quite yet, but I have been taking my time since the beginning.

Not really, like kensou mentioned, Multifist (ã°ãã‚Œã¤ã‘ã‚“) is really good for levelling for quite some time and you can easily find people to hire with low level Advanced classes that have that skill learned. Hire a few and go to a place with fairly strong enemies and let them work their magic for you. I did 1-21 on Warrior and 1-20 on Mage without buying a single piece of equipment within 3-4 hours each.

I really wish I was strong enough to handle the Magic Knight unlocking quest... that +10 Strength and +10 MP for almost no SP is just too good to pass up but I'll have to wait until I level Thief more. 

I really cant wait till E3, we will know for sure if we will get DQX US/EU or not.

I wouldn't pin our hopes on E3.  Is Square Enix even going?  I know Nintendo has mentioned they might not attend or have a big presence.

Myself, I'm sitting here with my debit card in hand, agonizing about going down and buying a Wii U today, for Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate.  I have the 3DS but am getting close to the point where I need to consider going online to continue with the game, and the 3DS version only has local, no online. 

If I knew DQX was being localized this would be a complete no brainer, I'd already be back from the store buying one.

I really cant wait till E3, we will know for sure if we will get DQX US/EU or not.

I wouldn't pin our hopes on E3.  Is Square Enix even going?  I know Nintendo has mentioned they might not attend or have a big presence.

Myself, I'm sitting here with my debit card in hand, agonizing about going down and buying a Wii U today, for Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate.  I have the 3DS but am getting close to the point where I need to consider going online to continue with the game, and the 3DS version only has local, no online. 

If I knew DQX was being localized this would be a complete no brainer, I'd already be back from the store buying one.

The media really screwed up with Nintendo's E3 announcement. They're there, and there's gonna be new games, but no big stage presentation. The new games will very likely be shown in the forms of Nintendo Directs over the course of the expo.