Sign in to follow this  
zanchan

Gameplay journal

Thought a thread where we DQX players could share our daily in-game experiences might be fun.

For example, I just killed my first metal slime about an hour ago and it was ridiculously exciting. Also I happened to be within those magical thirty minutes of 元気タイム (genki time), so all my experience was doubled. In a party of 4, I wound up with 2600P and all four of us gained levels. Cheers and celebration all around :)

I played a lot today. I had the day off from work, so I basically spent the whole day in front of the TV. Went from Level 18 this morning to Level 22 this evening. I went exploring for the first time. I've stuck entirely to my home base so far, but today I hopped on the train and visited each different city. Turns out my home city, ジュレットã®ç”º (Julette? Maybe?) is probably my least favorite of the bunch. I hate how it's designed with all the different staircases. I can never seem to remember how to get around. Eventually I wound up in 岳都ガタラ (how are we translating that? Just Gatara?), which I really like. Compact, rugged, easy to navigate. Nice town.

So I spent a lot of the day leveling with Dwarves. Good times.

What have you guys been up to?

Edited by zanchan
  • Upvote 4

I decided to finally progress my story, starting with Glen.

Once again I went with Yuu, along with a second friend to fight Oren so that I could get the grail. I had asked a third friend, who I had just been playing with until he had to leave for a bit to get lunch, if he would join me. He turned me down, and I felt kind of sad about being rejected. As we headed off though, I looked at my friend list and his location was listed as in the canyon area where Oren is located.

Here is the automatic shot of his defeat.

1671443.jpg

Then I went back to the Glen and listened to the next area that I was supposed to go to. Looking at my friend list again, that friend was once again in the area near where the boss was located. Indeed when I got to the portal that took you to the boss battle my friend was sitting on some of the snow covered stones right by the portal! I greeted him, and then went into battle.

Winning shot again.

1677039.jpg

After the all important photo shoot in the boss area (not included here) we returned, and I thanked my friend for watching over me. Got my first key emblem after another great scene and then rode the train for my first encounter with a certain sage.

All the story I've seen so far has really been great. Touching, funny, exciting. At this rate DQX may surpass DQVI as my favorite.

• Upvote 1

How do you get those screenshots??

And I agree, DQX might be my new favorite, too. Though I really do have to get back to the story. Have you joined a guild? I keep meaning to...

• Upvote 1

You use the in-game camera to take pictures. In the さくせん command there is even a command to automatically take pictures at the end of boss battles for you. You then can download the pictures from your character site on the Hiroba. Go to 旅のあしあと then おもいでアルバム. I don't know the buttons for the classic controller, but you start the camera up by holding the 2 button down on the Wii Remote.

If by guild you mean like the Lamp Alchemy, I've switched between them a bit, but I am not ready to stick to any yet. As you probably know after a level 10 guild quest you can't switch anymore. If you mean teams, I'm a member of a 3 person team one of my friends set up. But I'm in trouble because another group of friends wants to start a team. I need to try and get the first friend to be friends with the second group so that I can be in a team with everyone.

This evening (noon in Japan) maintenance cut into my time. I teamed up with some of my friends to raise our levels in our lower classes. Especially thanks to a metal slime I made it from 14 to 16 in priest. I also got a mini medal, so now I have 3 and can finally get my third Rula Stone.

• Upvote 1

Oooh, okay. I'll have to try that.

And yeah, I meant like Lamp, or sewing, or blacksmithing, etc. I haven't tried any of them yet. Actually, what have I been doing in the game?? Really just running around killing things and making friends, I suppose. Gotta get serious this weekend...

Sorry to clutter the journals with my curiosity, here, but how is fighting metals in this game? I was wondering how the shift in mechanics might affect battles against them. Is it harder? Easier? About the same, yo?

Also, that second boss is one awesome looking monster. It looks like Lleviathan combined with one of the plesiosaur monsters. Too bad it's head got cut off from the rest of the shot :P

Logged in today after having to reset once and sitting through a long black screen to find that one of my friends single handily got me over 1000 experience points. But friend chat wasn't working so I couldn't send my thanks. After a long loading screen to get to the train I decided to log off, and was never able to get back on. They started maintenance again so I won't be able to play till I get back from work this evening.

Sorry to clutter the journals with my curiosity, here, but how is fighting metals in this game? I was wondering how the shift in mechanics might affect battles against them. Is it harder? Easier? About the same, yo?

Also, that second boss is one awesome looking monster. It looks like Lleviathan combined with one of the plesiosaur monsters. Too bad it's head got cut off from the rest of the shot :P

Metal Slimes appear randomly with other monsters, so you can't farm them. As far as actually fighting them, I think they might be slightly less likely to flee, and you might have a bit better chances at not hitting them. But their rarity balances it out.

My friends described the monster as looking like a pokemon.

Went doing a couple of little fetch quests last night. Re-found the story, so I'm back on track with that. And spent some time leveling with a few pals I've made. Haven't had much time this week (what with silly work getting in the way), but I have the day entirely to myself today, a few bottles of Diet Coke in the fridge, and am ready for a marathon...

Been trying to level up some of my other classes to experiment with skills to see what carries over and what doesn't. Imagine my surprise bumping into one of these guys and then actually killing one!

metal slime Dqx

Been trying to level up some of my other classes to experiment with skills to see what carries over and what doesn't. Imagine my surprise bumping into one of these guys and then actually killing one!

Isn't it the best? I ran into my first Slime King today, and that was pretty exciting, too. Not in terms of XP, but simply because it had me squealing in delight :slimeking:

Otherwise, I've been questing around Julette a bit. And I finally started trying out the different guilds, so I've been doing some sewing. Sort of exciting to wake up to mail waiting with gold from the Bazaar :tounge2:

Such a heavy emphasis on grinding in this game that that seems to keep me busy most of the time. Being an adult is the worst (IRL, I mean) in terms of not having any free time to play! So I'm still only level 23 or 24 (I forgot... :( ) Oh well, c'est la vie...

Edited by zanchan

Yesterday I was invited to a group and decided to go for it... 3 hours later when everyone was done, nobody made me for a foreigner. It's a secret to everyone. Even though it was mostly chat macros, everyone was very polite. I went to unlock the concierge and thought according to the online guide that I had to fight some crazy monster over in orufea. Then I was randomly fighting the "numbness broadswords" near my rula point and they turned out to have the same item drop, woo hoo! It's pretty sweet that the genkidama's count from when the character is created, vs when you unlock the concierge. I started out with 246 hours to redeem.

Saw my first metal slime, but the booger hoofed it. :(

I've been playing slowly. A few hours during the week but mostly weekends... When I started I said "I'll figure this out on my own until I get stuck" and so far I haven't gotten totally stuck, and the things people have posted online were a great help in getting started. Most of the menus I *can* translate with enough time, and the game is still fun to play. So I figure out some system or quest, then go grind a while. The more I play, the more it feels like a fairly well refined "classic" style MMO. Lots of little annoying things are tuned (like how autofollow is managed), and adding hp/mp resource management breaks up the mototony.

• Upvote 1

Sorry I didn't get around to posting for a bit.

Elf

1993156.jpg

Pukuripo

2301418.jpg

Weddi

2492177.jpg

Dwaves

2546951.jpg

Murder Suicide (I was the first victim. The Orgre in red ended up beating the boss by herself.)

2562874.jpgand more Gatlant

2567028.jpg

And here are some humans I took a picture of. Saigan, can you recognize anyone?

2794094.jpg

Tenko, Kamiyo, and Yuu? :D

Spent some time running quests and exploring tonight with Mimas and Gloomy. Finally saw the Fairy area, it has a traditional Japanese feel.

Dqx bridge

Dqx table

Tenko, Kamiyo, and Yuu? :D

Bingo! Though not in that order.

Today the last of the freinds I play with frequently turned human, so I might have to go as human a bit more now.

Is that.... Clift's costume?

Yes.

I haven't gotten to play much recently but here's some more of the offline adventure.

Catching up a bit.

Got the second Pukland Key Emblem.

3578450.jpg

5062404f.jpg

Second Elf Key Emblem

5597165.jpg

5607603.jpg

Over the long weekend I was able to make it to level 40 so I was able to do the quest for the theifs key, and then I went to all of the Black treasure chests with mini medals in them so that I had enough for a Hirameki.

Then I mistakenly agreed to go with a group of people who were in the same part of the story as I left off, and I ended up progressing my story such that I couldn't get the treasure that was in the dungeon we had gone to.

5794056.jpg

Luckily I was able to get a friend who hadn't progressed the story to take me there again.

I also got invited to help with the second Dwarf Key. I didn't view the cut scenes myself so I will have to do the bosses again some other time to get it.

5807590.jpg

5812089.jpg

I've also gone back and helped people with some of the bosses I already beat, but I haven't kept as much track of that.

Saigain: How high of quality are your original video captures? Would they be good enough to get stills from?

Mimas: Do you care if I take your shots and repost them?

Very cool stuff Mimas and zangan. Keep up the great work. I would just you though am just not feeling the fever unfortunately.

Mimas: Do you care if I take your shots and repost them?

No. I don't think it should be an issue though I believe Square Enix would like a link to their copyright: http://sqex.to/cau

Very cool stuff Mimas and zangan. Keep up the great work. I would just you though am just not feeling the fever unfortunately.

I am not exactly sure what you are saying here.

Been a while since this was updated and my LP won't be up for a few days so I'll share what I did last night.

As soon as I logged in the little sister from Itene Village appeared, spoke a lot of Japanese and gave me the funny looking hat from the opening of the game. Thanks sis! It took me a good 30-45 minutes of running around to get used to playing online again due to forgetting a fair portion of the already small amount of Japanese I know. Finally I discovered I needed to go to a place called "The Lake Above the Clouds", being level 21 I was afraid my level might be too low but I set out anyways.

The trip wasn't terribly long but once I neared the top of Landon mountain I was greeted by a Sanguini type monster and Yetis of various size. These monsters, while tough were not impossible and I found they gave good experience during the last legs of my journey. I reached a travellers gate which was marked on the map with Kanji matching my next destination so I shut my eyes and stepped into the gate.

D-R-A-G-O-N

Yep, a Dragon Boss.

I fought him for almost 20 minutes before the last party member fell with the boss at critically low health. So close. I picked myself back up, returned to Glen and hired a new party balanced for the fight. I marched back up the mountain, gaining another level along the way and punched that dragon right in his stupid mouth. I was rewarded with what appeared to be a fruit of magical nature being dropped into the chalice that Mimas, Gloomy and I took from Swordmaster Oren months ago.

I beat the game back in September if I recall. They have extra story quests that comes out twice every week. The thing Saigan got about going to Shishimon (Lion's gate) was one of those. Gives you the backstory for the Swordsman Oren.

Mostly just leveling up with friends at this point.

Oh, and I am a level 30 "Item" smith (I make the items that other jobs use like hammers, pots, lamps, sewing needles. Not things like herbs.)

I've been making some good progress recently, trying to finish up the main story before the end of the month. Not long to go now, but goons are getting expensive and I'm tending to see less and less people online when I'm on, stupid timezones! Spent a while beating on parrots to get from 40 to 41 yesterday, but the internet cut out before I could get to 41, will get there on Monday. Good to see people are still having fun!