We Demand More Dragon Quest in the USA!

JOIN THE CAUSE

Yo yo, most of you guys know me as JessicaAlbert13. If you don't know me then pop over to DQ-HQ http://superybertv.webs.com/ to see me in all my glory. I am a die-hard Dragon Quest fan. There's no other girl in the world as crazy about Dragon Quest as me! I once created a fake paypal account with a giftcard just to get my hands on Dragon Quest Heaven figures. I disgusied myself as a Chinese woman you see. Still kinda dealing with the aftermath of that... but hey! I got my Psaro figure! My computer and my room are a shrine to Dragon Quest! I sleep on a King Slime pillow every night and give it a little kiss every morning! I am DQ devoted!

Anyways I am here on the Den to share with you important news. I have a friend who started a DQ facebook cause. The cause is titled: We Demand More Dragon Quest in the USA! Our goal is to have Dragon Quest X released in the USA, and maybe have some more Dragon Quest goodies translated into English. Japan needs to know that Dragon Quest has a huge American fanbase following! And we would love to have more Dragon Quest in the United States of America!

In fact I am so desperate for more Dragon Quest games, manga, and anime I will throw my hat into the next election! And my only campaign will be bringing Dragon Quest to America! (and maybe fixing the terrible debt USA is in, but that would just be a side project)

You can help the cause! In fact we need you! I NEED YOU! Join the cause and sign the petition. It's as easy as slime pie!

http://www.facebook.com/#!/WeDemandMoreDragonQuestInTheUsa

Pretty pretty PLEEEEASE join the cause! It would make me so happy! :overjoyed2:
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As I said on FB...

Good luck.

Oh god.

As you can see, the link is in my signature as well.

Keep those signatures coming! Signal the troops if necessary! :evillaugh:

Wow, it's like 1998 all over again.

While I appreciate the enthuiasm, localization on modern Dragon Quest game takes time. While I don't doubt we will get more games, I don't want Nintendo to cheap out and hire inferior localization teams just for the sake of getting them out the door.

I think my annoyance is the lack of any communication. They could calm all of us down by announcing that they plan on bring DQX and DQM1R over to the US, and that they'll have more information "soon". But, nothing but crickets so far.

Wow, it's like 1998 all over again.

While I appreciate the enthuiasm, localization on modern Dragon Quest game takes time. While I don't doubt we will get more games, I don't want Nintendo to cheap out and hire inferior localization teams just for the sake of getting them out the door.

This is not the intent. Remember- the price of liberty is eternal vigilance. We don't plan on trying to tell anyone to rush things. This is simply lobbying to make our voices heard that we do not want to devolve back into the sad state we were in years ago. I'll never forget when I wrote to a Nintendo Power game counselor back in 1995. My gameplay question was about Mortal Kombat 2. My other question was concerning the rumor concerning "Dragon Warrior 5". Though the personal reply I got in the mail said "It IS true.", the day never came...

This is simply to remind Nintendo, SE and the rest... please don't forget us in the future.

I want the translation and localization done properly. I don't want another Dragon Quest IV. Dragon Quest V, VI, and IX were done beautifully. I don't want the translation to be sloppy with mistakes and bugs. I just want to a guarantee that sometime next year or the year after that or the year after that we'll see Dragon Quest X in America.

I'd also like Dragon Quest to get more attention net-wise. Perhaps find a translation team willing to work on the Abel and Dai anime. The only Dragon Quest manga fully translated on the net is the Dai manga, but there's so many other DQ series! The Dragon Quest VI manga is ten volumes - I'd give up a kidney to see that manga translated! This isn't only a call to Nintendo, SE, and the corporate big-wigs. We Dragon Quest fans need to come together and make our demands known! Dragon Quest is rising in popularity and we need to back DQ up!

Without giving too much away, pretty soon you'll have some understanding as to why DQ localizations take so long.

Without giving too much away, pretty soon you'll have some understanding as to why DQ localizations take so long.

I'd take guesses, but I'm not here to start rumors. You've always had scoops for us heathens, but I just got promoted to a management position at Wal Mart. I was sworn to secrecy about getting the job for almost a week until everything was officialized, so I totally understand what keeping things hush hush is all about.

Again, like Jess13 said, this is about unifying the DQ community. Keeping the demand to get a supply. My new job includes keeping counts in my department, so I see pretty clearly that getting the wearhouse to send more then one tub of green peppers a day is more vital than ordering more organic carrots. (I can't wait to get the needed options on my scanner and the needed training to actually implement this- I had to alter the features near the front of the department to make the display fluffy since we had a bunch of big wigs come in today). If we suddenly get a huge demand for cactus pads, I'll have to order some and adjust my mod shelving. Last time we got in cactus pads, we sold a whopping zero- no demand, no longer carried.

The moral of the story- I don't want Dragon Quest to turn into cactus pads. (All that for that). :P

Perhaps find a translation team willing to work on the Abel and Dai anime.

Actually, the Abel anime was dubbed, but they only did 13 out of the 43 episodes before getting canceled due to a combination of poor timeslots and legal problems (eg. Akira Toriyama not being credited).

Dai no Daibouken still hasn't been dubbed in English yet, but it has been in Europe (Italy, Spain, and France in particular).

The bit about Toriyama not being credited was a rumor that began in the early days of the internets and evolved into fact. There's nothing to back it up. It was done by Toei, which Toriyama has worked with for, what, 30 years?

I think my annoyance is the lack of any communication. They could calm all of us down by announcing that they plan on bring DQX and DQM1R over to the US, and that they'll have more information "soon". But, nothing but crickets so far.

well they were like just released for few months, maybe like 3-4 months and we'll see if DQX and DQM1R would get their attention or not.. Lets hope for the best since they both could be tough to get to US and others (Not really sure so many knew DQ1M, and DQX is online, so its kinda complicated, never knew localizing stuff that much...)

I typically expect a 1-year window between Japan and US. Remember the DQ 6 debacle though? All the fuss we caused (petitions, FB page, etc.) pushed it up to 1 or 2 in Nintendo Power's want list for DS games. Again, I want to keep the demand flowing more than anything. I do not encourage a hashy, rushed localization.

When I mentioned getting a team together to work on the Dai or Abel anime I was actually thinking....um.... a dubb team. Ya know? Animecrazy(dot)net kind of thing? I've been trying to find a translation team that'll work with me but they keep shutting me out! Everyone keeps telling me to learn Japanese on my own! And I'm trying! I got hiragana and katakana down sorta! Learning another language ain't easy especially with no teacher! I learn best when I have a teacher on my side, not a computer!

And what's with the Wa character in Japanese anyways? You always add Wa after the noun but that's not the Wa character that's the Ha character WHAT IS UP WITH THAT?

Ahem, anyways, I was hoping to find some intelligent people who can help me translate some DQ anime and manga. I have the entire Heaven Manga on my computer and have been trying to find some people to work with me on that but still I get slammed in the face cuz "no one reads DQ." Freakin' manga dubbers only care about the popular manga that'll get them fame. The entire Dai anime is online but only the RAW forms. I'd love to see the Dai anime in English (I don't speak Spanish or French :cry2: )

It's so hard to find true Dragon Quest fans willing to step up... and language barriers are hard to step around....

But back to the cause... obviously Mr. Woodus and Mr. Steve know more about the corporate mumbo-jumbo than I do. If it were up to me I'd just march up to Nintendo and slap them in the face until they submit but that won't work.

This petition is to bring Dragon Quest into the spotlight. Make gamers and corporations see that the fans want more! Let the big shots upstairs know there's money to be made releasing Dragon Quest in other countries! Let Dragon Quest set sail from Japanese shores and explore! :thumbsup:

Mimas and Dwaine might know this, but in order to sub a show, you need raw video. Has Dai or Abel ever been released on DVD? I know there was a sub group back in the day doing Dai, but their video quality was bad. It didn't seem like an encoding problem. It seemed like they were working on a VHS tape transfer.

As for petitions... They're kind of silly now a days. And in any case, we don't have the resources to make something like this happen where it would get noticed. For one thing, the goal is too vague. "Bring more Dragon Quests to the US" is fine and all, but in order to reach out to a corporation, we would need something much more specific, such as "Release Dragon Quest X for the Wii U". We would also need to have a way to have our message heard without it being able to be tossed aside casually, or responded to with a pre-generated email. Something like a Occupy Square Enix campaign or something (not that I'm advocating that).

Abel had a full box set about...four years ago? Expensive, too! Almost tree fiddy. Never seen a torrent of it. Japan's bad about that sort of thing. Or good, depending on your perspective!

I really don't see Nintendo paying attention to a petition. They didn't even pay attention to Operation Rainfall, the only reason those titles were localized were because publishers picked them up, seeing potential $$$.

We might, MIGHT see Dragon Quest X, but if we do, it'll be on the Wii U, and it'll have a monthly fee, which will turn a lot of folk off. (( If someone is going to argue with me on this, don't bring up Monster Hunter Tri, it was a Crapcom title, and if MH was as popular here as it was in Japan, it would have had it's fee for it's sparse features. Dragon Quest is a full-fledged MMORPG, and it will require regular maintenance, content, etc to keep its playerbase happy. That costs money. ))

Reading Derpametric and Megalosaro's posts made me sad.... Actually I was hoping if we got enough notice and Nintendo saw all us fans together they might think "OH! Dragon Quest will make us money over here!" Then start releasing DQ X, Terry's Wonderland, and Rocket Slime 3DS across other countries. Those are the games the fans want! That's what the petition is about!

But I don't think there will be such a big ruckus as "Occupy Nintento." That sounds like bad news. We'd all have to get plane tickets and tents and someone will have to bring snacks... I think a petition with about 150 signatures could do the trick. 500 signatures would be better...

But onto the subject of DQ anime and manga. Sadly we'll never see Dai manga or DQ 4Koma hit American stores. We'll have to rely on dubbers and translators.

Hm, I don't know about dubbing DQ anime... But I could gather a team to try and translate the Dragon Quest V Heaven Manga! I have every page of that series on my lappy and computer! We can release it here and on DQ-HQ! Maybe even mangafox! Perhaps I should start another post in the manga section and see if I can gather support?

If Mr. Dwaine and ya'll shoot it down I'll give up, but if there's a small chance I can find some talented Japanese-speakers willing to help me out. I can only translate into romaji and you can't just type in romaji and get a pure translation. I'm still studying Japanese grammar. (Noun, verb, object in English. In Japanese it's noun, object, verb and the past tense and negative of verbs! MASHITA! MASEN! MASEN DESHITA! WA! WO!)

(and don't even get me started on my pronunciation :kiss: )

The "We Demand More Dragon Quest in the USA" has... 21 signatures. Hey, yesterday there were only 17! Maybe in about two months time we'll get up to 100! Though I'd prefer 500....

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/releasedq/signatures

Archived