Sign in to follow this  
Mr. RPG

If anyone is playing the game, a rip of the music would be nice

The music is pretty good, from what I've heard of it.

The music is quite good- I have no idea how to rip it though haha

Even if you just record as you are playing (if you got your cable problem figured out that is :) and make it a youtube video? Any ISOs of it out there yet to try to get some assets out of it?

Even if you just record as you are playing (if you got your cable problem figured out that is :) and make it a youtube video? Any ISOs of it out there yet to try to get some assets out of it?

I have the DISC 1 and DISC 2 ISOs, but haven't had enough time to find what I need. The format is quite different from what I was expecting and is quite different from Swords, Fortune Street and Battle Road Victory. Part of the problem I think is that the discs are used to install the DQX Channel (Disc 1) and to install the game content (Disc 2) to your Wii / USB stick. If the game ran straight from the disc, the content would likely be more accessible. As it is, I haven't directly found any of the audio files or 3D models or graphics files. I have found a bunch of WAD files, so I might need to extract those from the ISOs and then extract the game content from those.

It's a bit of new territory for me, due to the added complexity of the Wii Channel / USB stick install. I bet Flute_Warrior would be all over this if he were around. In any case, once I can get those large ISOs transferred to my work PC, I will have more tools (and more time) to dig around.

In the mean time, does anyone know what the content of the USB stick looks like after a complete install? I would love to dig around the USB files as well and see if they are more accessible like a regular Wii ISO.

Hmm... Perhaps the easier route would be to poke around the UMD stick rather than the discs themselves?

It looks like a lot of the music from VIII was slapped in to this game (like in IX)

That is just so lazy to me. Sugiyama can do so much better than this.

V - VII music was just absolutely stunning.

It looks like a lot of the music from VIII was slapped in to this game (like in IX)

There are plenty of new tunes in the game.

There are plenty of new tunes in the game.

I hope so.

and I always hope, that after this game, they take a break from the cell-shading art style.

To be honest, I'm getting a bit bored of it.

Every game after VII looks the same to me.

The only songs I can think of that were reused from VIII in IX were the church theme and the alchemy pot. Those both return. The other song I've heard reused from an older Dragon Quest is the DQIV shrine theme, the above mentioned church theme, and the train theme from IX. Otherwise, every song has been new. At least that I've heard.

Edited by Megalosaro

I remember being a bit disappointed that the ship theme in DQ9 was the same as from DQ4. The nostalgia is nice, but new music is nice too. Also, the grotto music in DQ9 was cool at first (DQ3 dungeon theme), but after running so many grottoes, in retrospect it would have been cooler if each different grotto environment used a different dungeon theme from DQ's 1 - 8. That would have increased the nostalgia factor and would have kept the music a bit "fresher".

I haven't heard much music from X yet, but I am looking forward to it.

The USB is formatted in such a way that my computer doesn't recognize it.

I have the DISC 1 and DISC 2 ISOs, but haven't had enough time to find what I need. The format is quite different from what I was expecting and is quite different from Swords, Fortune Street and Battle Road Victory. Part of the problem I think is that the discs are used to install the DQX Channel (Disc 1) and to install the game content (Disc 2) to your Wii / USB stick. If the game ran straight from the disc, the content would likely be more accessible. As it is, I haven't directly found any of the audio files or 3D models or graphics files. I have found a bunch of WAD files, so I might need to extract those from the ISOs and then extract the game content from those.

It's a bit of new territory for me, due to the added complexity of the Wii Channel / USB stick install. I bet Flute_Warrior would be all over this if he were around. In any case, once I can get those large ISOs transferred to my work PC, I will have more tools (and more time) to dig around.

In the mean time, does anyone know what the content of the USB stick looks like after a complete install? I would love to dig around the USB files as well and see if they are more accessible like a regular Wii ISO.

My guess is this, the game is not the usual wii game. it has 3 main wads that probably are installed into the 16gb usb. This way the game can be updated using the usb.

The wads you are looking for are:

S4MJ256 (disc1)

S4MJ257 (disc1)

S4MJ258 (disc2)

There are a bunch of other wad files, but I think those are the installer of the game.I recomend using Dolphin emulator to get those wads, and then using wadmii from wadtools to extract them.

I couldn't extract the first one completely (I got out of space). I couldn't do anything with the few files I extracted from that first wad. Probably the second and third wads are more interesting.

Those files are really big and it takes quite a good amount of time to extract them. Also your computer my not respond while you are extracting them.

As an alternative, probably opening the usb installed game in a computer will be faster and a better option, but I don't have a 16 gb usb, and I doubt I will install it if I need to put the wii in japanese...

The only music I found you can directly extract from the disc are the installer music.It's in DSP format, but you can play them using winamp and some plugin that reads that file.

Edited by Natreg

My guess is this, the game is not the usual wii game. it has 3 main wads that probably are installed into the 16gb usb. This way the game can be updated using the usb.

The wads you are looking for are:

S4MJ256 (disc1)

S4MJ257 (disc1)

S4MJ258 (disc2)

There are a bunch of other wad files, but I think those are the installer of the game.I recomend using Dolphin emulator to get those wads, and then using wadmii from wadtools to extract them.

I couldn't extract the first one completely (I got out of space). I couldn't do anything with the few files I extracted from that first wad. Probably the second and third wads are more interesting.

Those files are really big and it takes quite a good amount of time to extract them. Also your computer my not respond while you are extracting them.

As an alternative, probably opening the usb installed game in a computer will be faster and a better option, but I don't have a 16 gb usb, and I doubt I will install it if I need to put the wii in japanese...

The only music I found you can directly extract from the disc are the installer music.It's in DSP format, but you can play them using winamp and some plugin that reads that file.

Ha ha. Well, that's good to have some confirmation on that. I was just digging around last night and found that these three wads were substantially larger than all the others, which led me to believe I should focus on them. I have them extracted now and will start unpacking those wads tomorrow (my home PC lacks the resources needed, but my work PC will do the trick).

Hopefully when I unpack those wads, the brres files (3D models) and brstm files (audio) will be readily available.

Thanks for the tips!

Ok, I've got those WADs unpacked, and I have further unpacked the resulting .app files. I have found a bunch of great stuff including:

1) game script

2) forbidden word list

3) monster 3D models and animations

4) character 3D models and animations

5) equipment models

6) game music

7) cutscene movies

8) continent map (2D and 3D)

9) world map (2D and 3D)

The problem I am having now is that the formats of the above are different from what I was hoping. The 3D models and animations are in .trb and .rps (instead of brres) format, the audio is in .scd (instead of brstm) format, the movies are in .mo format (instead of .thp format) etc...

If anyone has any tips on how to display / play any of these formats, I would really appreciate it. Otherwise, I will keep on digging. I saw some forum posts talking about FF13 using the .trb and .rps model format, so hopefully I can find a tool that will help with those.

About the 3D models, have you tried opening them with brresviewerv4. Sometimes even though the extension is different the file is the same. If that does not work, I googled a bit and found a program called mokka that can open TRB files. Problem is that I don't know if that means the same kind of TRB or there are more files with that same extension.

The SCD file, is it just a big file (a container) or each of the tracks is in a separate scd file?

If you can send me one of those SCD files, maybe I can try to find how to open it.

About the 3D models, have you tried opening them with brresviewerv4. Sometimes even though the extension is different the file is the same. If that does not work, I googled a bit and found a program called mokka that can open TRB files. Problem is that I don't know if that means the same kind of TRB or there are more files with that same extension.

The SCD file, is it just a big file (a container) or each of the tracks is in a separate scd file?

If you can send me one of those SCD files, maybe I can try to find how to open it.

Hey, thanks for the suggestions. I tried opening the models in brresviewer and they didn't work, unfortunately. I have done some sniffing around and found a tool called Noesis that supposedly supports .trb format (and many others). I will try it out tomorrow.

As for the scd files, they are in fact a large number of files. They seems to be pretty clearly named with some being BGM#### for what looks like the main music pieces and things like eft#### for what is likely the sound effect files. The file sizes are consistent with what I would expect music and SFX audio files to be. There is a single file with the extension .brsar in the sound folder as well, which could be important. I checked the binary headers of the .scd files and they contain a format tag: SEDB (I think... I will need to double check that tomorrow). In any case, I can definitely send you some sample scd files and the brsar file tomorrow. I will PM them to you.

As for the cut-scene movies, I cracked them open in a hex-editor and found the format tag which indicates that they are mobiclip codec version 5 files. That makes sense since DQ has used mobiclip for the recent games and since Nintendo has purchased mobiclip and is using them in their Wii U development. I am now searching for something that can play mobiclip version 5 files. I have definitely seen mobiclip players, but they seem to be exclusively for mobile devices. I have yet to come across a PC-based mobiclip codec, but I haven't had a lot of time to look.

And that's where we are at with things. Hopefully will have a breakthrough soon. Thanks again for your help on this.

Hey, thanks for the suggestions. I tried opening the models in brresviewer and they didn't work, unfortunately. I have done some sniffing around and found a tool called Noesis that supposedly supports .trb format (and many others). I will try it out tomorrow.

As for the scd files, they are in fact a large number of files. They seems to be pretty clearly named with some being BGM#### for what looks like the main music pieces and things like eft#### for what is likely the sound effect files. The file sizes are consistent with what I would expect music and SFX audio files to be. There is a single file with the extension .brsar in the sound folder as well, which could be important. I checked the binary headers of the .scd files and they contain a format tag: SEDB (I think... I will need to double check that tomorrow). In any case, I can definitely send you some sample scd files and the brsar file tomorrow. I will PM them to you.

As for the cut-scene movies, I cracked them open in a hex-editor and found the format tag which indicates that they are mobiclip codec version 5 files. That makes sense since DQ has used mobiclip for the recent games and since Nintendo has purchased mobiclip and is using them in their Wii U development. I am now searching for something that can play mobiclip version 5 files. I have definitely seen mobiclip players, but they seem to be exclusively for mobile devices. I have yet to come across a PC-based mobiclip codec, but I haven't had a lot of time to look.

And that's where we are at with things. Hopefully will have a breakthrough soon. Thanks again for your help on this.

Final Fantasy IV used something called sedb sscf for sound that turned to be ogg files. Maybe renaming them to Ogg could do the trick.

It could also stand for somthing like Square Enix Data Base, or something like that. In that case if it's a format created by Square Enix recently there could be a problem to find a player for that.

Edited by Natreg

Hey, thanks again for helping with this. I checked the file headers again and they do say SEDB SSCF. I tried changing the extension to .ogg as you suggested, but that didn't seem to work for me.

In any case, I have zipped up the sound dump and PM'd it to you. Let me know if you have any luck figuring out how to play these files. Also, let me know if you would like any other sample files from the dump (like movie files or model files) and I will make them available for you.

Thanks!

well, I haven't yet downloaded the music, but I found this program for kingdom hearts

http://www.pspgweber...3bd82893a2b1ea4

In theory the model viewer can open FFXIV models, so my guess is that it will be able to open DQX too.

Also I think it can also work with SEDB SSCF but I will have to find how.

I also found this:

http://www.ffevo.net...gg-audio-files/

It seems the SEDBSSCF files are ogg files, but encoded somehow. Sadly that program there seems to do the contrary to what we are looking for, but I'm quite sure there should be a FFXIV program somewhere that can convert those files

EDIT:

I think they are DSPs instead of OGGs. I found this site explaining how to decode them: http://forum.neko-sentai.com/showthread.php?t=12120&page=1

I also found out that http://www.hcs64.com/ is trying to decode it, so in the end we could play the same SCD files using vgmstream for winamp

Edited by Natreg

Any progress lately?

No real progress to note at this time. The scd audio files are in a new encrypted format and need to be worked on a bit before they will be supported in VGMStream. It looks like SE used formats, encryptions and codecs that will be implemented on the Wii-U, presumably in order to reduce effort in porting media content to the new system (I guess it would have been a bit of a pain to convert the 3D models, audio files and video files to the new formats during the development).

In any case, I have a request in on the VGMStream forums to add support for these new scd files. They have a pretty quick development cycle, so I am hoping that they will be able to address it rather quickly. It sounded like they were already working on it, which is a bonus.

I am going to keep monitoring it and will update if we have any breakthroughs. The first priority will be a music rip. Once that's done, I will look more into the models and possibly the video cutscenes too. The mobiclip video codec is pretty annoying though, which is why I am saving that as lowest priority. Music shows the most promise at this point.

I am going to keep monitoring it and will update if we have any breakthroughs. The first priority will be a music rip. Once that's done, I will look more into the models and possibly the video cutscenes too. The mobiclip video codec is pretty annoying though, which is why I am saving that as lowest priority. Music shows the most promise at this point.

The codec that was available for the PC got pulled sometime after Nintendo bought mobiclip. I went to look for it quite sometime ago myself.

The codec that was available for the PC got pulled sometime after Nintendo bought mobiclip. I went to look for it quite sometime ago myself.

I wondered if something like that might have happened. There are references to it around, but no one seems to have it anymore. I guess Nintendo did a good job with the clean up. Thanks for the info.