Mimas

DQX (JP) English Play Guide

When adding friends to your list, do you need to enter their NAME and ID, or can you do just the ID?

Name and ID.

On that note, I tried to add bluevideogame, but I think he didn't notice my request.

I got this same error as Saigan from the shopping channel. Where do you go to change the channel back to USA and delete it? I'm messing around with my shopping channel because I get this error when trying to go online (already created a new char). I'm guessing it has something to do with the shopping channel being used in another region before? Can someone tell me what exactly it says? Unfortunately I can only read katakana :( Thanks a lot!

Found the answer...have to bring it back to the shop

Ydm0k.jpg

Ugh- having trouble connecting to Wii Shop Channel. I am thinking that the previous owners might have used it before performing a format. It looks like the problem might be here?

If I'm not mistaken it thinks something about the Wii is still American?

EDIT: nevermind Mimas helped me out. If this happens to you it means your wii is still registered to the american shop channel. You'll have to change the shop channel back to USA (code 49) and delete your shop account before changing it back.

8UWRi.jpg

Edited by zygose

Could someone who has the game make a video showcasing the character creation choices for the 5 races? That'd be pretty cool.

How does the skill system work in this? Is it very similar to DQ9? I.e., does it benefit you to take several jobs and work on their skill for the passives? Or is it FF11 style, i.e., you switch to a Thief and have only Thief abilities, thief level HP, etc.

Edited by KiTA

How does the skill system work in this? Is it very similar to DQ9? I.e., does it benefit you to take several jobs and work on their skill for the passives? Or is it FF11 style, i.e., you switch to a Thief and have only Thief abilities, thief level HP, etc.

Similar to DQ9. Though there are a few skills that are class specific such as a theif's steal. Stat boosts carry over. But unlike 9 extra stat points can't be used in other classes.

Skills initially look like they work in 9. I haven't switched jobs to see if points carry over in any way.

Similar to DQ9. Though there are a few skills that are class specific such as a theif's steal. Stat boosts carry over. But unlike 9 extra stat points can't be used in other classes.

So like in 9, your best bet early on is to get every job to say, 10 or 20 (past the newbie areas) so you're properly strong going forward?

Name and ID.

On that note, I tried to add bluevideogame, but I think he didn't notice my request.

How do I find your request? I haven't been on in a few days.

So like in 9, your best bet early on is to get every job to say, 10 or 20 (past the newbie areas) so you're properly strong going forward?

That helps a lot, yeah. But some people seem to be doing quite well sticking to one class, so I don't know what is the superior way of playing. But mastering more classes makes it easier to switch when your party needs a different class in it, so for social reasons alone it is a big plus.

How do I find your request? I haven't been on in a few days.

It disappeared when you logged out without responding. I will have to send you another one when you are finally online again. A Drakey flies in to tell you when you get a request, and you answer the request from the main menu. First item on the top, which is not in a column either.

Hi!

Thanks so much for this thread! Between here and a thread at another forum I decided it was worth attempting to import DQX two weeks ago. I've been playing the last two weekends and have been enjoying myself so far. Now a level 14 elf warrior. Starting as warrior so the gameplay would be simpler at first, though I hope to switch to a mage-type.

My understanding of japanese is that of a really slow kindergartener. This means the game is incredibly rewarding as I get super happy every time I figure out a menu or read a word right. I've been studying alongside (and on/off for some time before) so we'll see if that improves with time.

As far as gameplay (aside from not discovering hiroba.dqx.jp until I was logged into the online portion) I've been slowly puzzling things out. There's the dqx info site saigan posted which I've been using with google translate to figure out quests. Last night I unlocked the bank and the adventurer's bar (hopefully I'll have earned something on logging back in!). First time taking the train! Woo woo.

Is there a wiki site for play guides/translations anywhere? I've seen stubs but all there is is this thread and another one with slightly more info.

I'm pretty independent but could use some help figuring out how to use the bazaar and what the warrior skill lists are. I figured out the categories (sword/2h/axe/shield/courage) but haven't figured out the skills yet so my points are all queued up. A number of the settings menus are a mystery to me as well, but I'm just taking it one small section at a time.

thanks again, sorry for the long ramble!

Edited by dormando

Is there a wiki site for play guides/translations anywhere? I've seen stubs but all there is is this thread and another one with slightly more info.

As far as I know, not at the moment. What is the other thread you are talking about?

I've been meaning to add more her, but I keep playing the game instead. :emb:

I'm pretty independent but could use some help figuring out how to use the bazaar and what the warrior skill lists are. I figured out the categories (sword/2h/axe/shield/courage) but haven't figured out the skills yet so my points are all queued up. A number of the settings menus are a mystery to me as well, but I'm just taking it one small section at a time.

Here is a Japanese page with the skill. Tell me anything in particular that you are curious about. I'll try and get to putting up a translation of more of the settings later.

As far as I know, not at the moment. What is the other thread you are talking about?

There's this neogaf thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=485052 - it links back here, but it was interesting/useful to read about others' experiences playing it, and I'm using hints from them discussing how features work to figure out the game.

I've been meaning to add more her, but I keep playing the game instead. :emb:

I can understand this :D I'm pretty happy with it. *please* let me know if there's anything I can do to help. I took a bunch of menu screenshots so I could translate during the week, but I think they're slightly tilted. I could re-take and post if it'd save you some time putting things together?

Here is a Japanese page with the skill. Tell me anything in particular that you are curious about. I'll try and get to putting up a translation of more of the settings later.

That's really useful, thanks! Now i don't have to take screenshots of it. Unfortunately google translate is making a hash of some of it. It never does terribly well with colloquialisms or technical terms.

The skill system seems the same as DQIX, except the skills are often different and I'm not sure I understand them. Like the tree under Courage... that first item says "Protect 8 (Accounting)". I could make assumptions, but you can't reassign skill points :) Where should I be putting my points as a warrior? It seems that maxing out a weapon skill doesn't let you equip it on different classes as well, so that could be a waste.

I'm trying to figure out the best strategy for building gold at the moment, so I'm curious if selling environmental pickups at the bazaar is a worthwhile effort? Or if I could be buying up my level14 gear much cheaper through there than at the shop (and if I should be selling my previous gear there than back to the store). I'm assuming yes but it's pretty kanji heavy and will take me time to figure out. Any help there would be greatly appreciated!

There's this neogaf thread: http://www.neogaf.co...ad.php?t=485052 - it links back here, but it was interesting/useful to read about others' experiences playing it, and I'm using hints from them discussing how features work to figure out the game.

Oh, they have a list of players. Wonder if I should friend any of them or if that would be rude. Considering the IP Block, I've just felt it was safer not to give out what ID's belong to foreigners on the net, but it does make it hard to play with other English speakers.

I can understand this :D I'm pretty happy with it. *please* let me know if there's anything I can do to help. I took a bunch of menu screenshots so I could translate during the week, but I think they're slightly tilted. I could re-take and post if it'd save you some time putting things together?

Any screenshots you post I will translate. Nice ones of the menu I will move into the first post as well.

The skill system seems the same as DQIX, except the skills are often different and I'm not sure I understand them. Like the tree under Courage... that first item says "Protect 8 (Accounting)". I could make assumptions, but you can't reassign skill points :) Where should I be putting my points as a warrior? It seems that maxing out a weapon skill doesn't let you equip it on different classes as well, so that could be a waste.

Yeah, I'm not putting much into weapon skills because of that. The thing that Google is translating as "Accounting" actually is a completely different word and means that you can only use that skill with that class. That is the skill translated in IX as "Whipping Boy". But you can only use it when you are a warrior.

I'm trying to figure out the best strategy for building gold at the moment, so I'm curious if selling environmental pickups at the bazaar is a worthwhile effort? Or if I could be buying up my level14 gear much cheaper through there than at the shop (and if I should be selling my previous gear there than back to the store). I'm assuming yes but it's pretty kanji heavy and will take me time to figure out. Any help there would be greatly appreciated!

I just tend to not buy much new equipment, waiting 14 levels instead of 7 to buy new things. But yeah, the bazzar can make you a lot of money if you know what sells for good prices and where to find it. Or to make it. Selling previous gear doesn't do you much good since you have to sell it to a normal shop on top of everything. You might need it when you switch classes anyway. I at least never like to run around in my underwear.

Edited by Mimas

Oh, they have a list of players. Wonder if I should friend any of them or if that would be rude. Considering the IP Block, I've just felt it was safer not to give out what ID's belong to foreigners on the net, but it does make it hard to play with other English speakers.

I think a good number of them are in japan, but yeah I was wondering about that. I'd love to join in but supposedly it takes 6-12 months for account verification. I just play with my "no keyboard" sign up on the "no keyboard" servers and mostly avoid grouping... I have a feeling that IP block could be mainly to help mitigate gold farming and rampant abuse, though.

Any screenshots you post I will translate. Nice ones of the menu I will move into the first post as well.

Exellent, thanks! I probably won't have time until the weekend, but I'll try to do something thorough. Last night I went back to the bazaar and actually figured it out. Bought my current-level weapon (with two stars?) for 400g instead of 1450g! huzzah! Equipment matters a ton for the warrior class, sadly. Oddly though, armor prices don't seem to be nearly as low as weapon prices? Prices in general on the bazaar seem really weird.

Thank you very much for the guide, it helped a lot.

I just finished setting up my vpn and registering for the game, and am going online for the first time now.

I think a good number of them are in japan, but yeah I was wondering about that. I'd love to join in but supposedly it takes 6-12 months for account verification. I just play with my "no keyboard" sign up on the "no keyboard" servers and mostly avoid grouping... I have a feeling that IP block could be mainly to help mitigate gold farming and rampant abuse, though.

I'm mostly playing with people in Japan. As long as they are playing at 10:00pm I'm good. Yeah, I meant to suggest the "no keyboard" sign as a way to not put off people when you can't type in English. You can also choose the "I'm playing by myself" icon which even keeps people from being able to ask you to play with them.

Exellent, thanks! I probably won't have time until the weekend, but I'll try to do something thorough.

No problem. Thanks!

Thank you very much for the guide, it helped a lot.

I just finished setting up my vpn and registering for the game, and am going online for the first time now.

Glad to hear it is working out for you.

I keep seeing those classes. Are they the only ones available in the game now?

Yeah right now it is the same basic classes as DQIX

Yeah right now it is the same basic classes as DQIX

Ah, hopefully they fix that in updates.

Do you guys know this website: http://dq10-memo.com/ ? It's an online guide to DQX that seems to be regularly updated. It's all in Japanese, of course, but if your languages skills are lacking, the google translate version isn't horrible, per se...

Edited by zanchan

Sorry I'm a bit late on building up my screenshots... I *do* still intend to do it.

Uhh, though, anyone else using Overplay suddenly unable to connect to the wii store? DQ won't load, the wii store is giving me an awesome HTTP 401 (unauthorized) error via its Tomcat servers.

I noticed the Overplay IP I'm getting today is in amazon's EC2 cloud in tokyo, but usually it's an IP address Overplay actually owns in another datacenter. I can't seem to choose which tokyo server it tries to connect to... I was going to try setting up a VPN via EC2 since you can get a micro instance for free for a year, but it's starting to seem like nintendo already banned their IP block.

EDIT:

I got in... and this is good since I'll just set up my own VPN and stop paying overplay this weekend (might be able to let a few others of you on as well).

So: It seemed that nintendo is blocking Wii channel accesses from Amazon EC2... either that or it was a temporary error and I'm talking out my butthole right now. In case someone else hits it and comes to this thread here's what I did to get back in:

- Disable the VPN on the router I'm connecting the wii through

- Fire up DQX. The first thing it does when you select to go online is validate with the Wii store (checking your points status and other stuff). This will work with an american IP address, so far as I can see?

- DQX runs its autopatcher. Which is way faster without the VPN, heh.

- DQX then gives you the square-enix login screen.

- At this point I re-enable the VPN on the router (without disabling the wireless, though I don't know how necessary that step was)

- Then I clicked login

- It worked fine.

This was after half an hour of reconecting to the VPN and running internet tests, reloading the wii store, etc, and not getting it to work at all. Ugh.

EDIT 2:

I'm on crack. I guess EC2 couldn't get to the nintendo servers for a while, but now they can. The above is still useful if you need to fetch a big patch or there's another connectivity issue with nintendo's servers but not the DQX ones.

Edited by dormando

hiroba.dqx.jp/sc/topics/detail/e2c9a7c213be7996789b47e599d4240c8feb48ae/

3x genki balls? Don't really understand the text for how to redeem :( Do the offline adventure + log on once + go inside somewhere?

Uhrr maybe it's some spell you can cast once to give you an item code? So weird. will try later.

edit: From the hiroba site -> item code tab thing a new menu bar appears about the "present". selecting that, then select a character, but then you need to "enter the spell of presents" which is 10 character hiragana?

trying to figure this out in short breaks during a long work day :P

ooh! From the news item I linked, the hiragana in red (thanks everyone!) is the ten character "spell code" :P copy/paste (or type) it into the box and it let me select the 3 xp balls to redeem.

maybe some other poor english player will stumble on this and save some time. either that or I'm the dumbest foreign player!

Edited by dormando

Sorry for the late reply.

I did not have any issues with Overplay this last weekend, though on ocassion I find that I have to log in again

I'm glad you figured out the "Present Spell". For those who haven't gotten it, the cut off date is the 9th.You can enter the code on the Hiroba or from the login for the game (where you pay for more days)

Edited by Mimas

Hi, i got dragon quest X today. i finish the offline mode until we can go online. I was not connected when i was playing so when i choose my race and class it give me a error DQ-100-025-X i think mean theres no network

then the wii reset. when i go back to offline mode, my character don't exist anymore.

Edited by yukin