• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

All is darkness. The Dragon King has captured the Princess and stolen The Legendary Hero's Ball of Light!    You are the Legendary Hero's heir. You have been assigned a most dangerous task: to rescu

Just a little small update for you guys.   New Overworld Maps(Didn't want to make the page so large)     These are the current overworlds in the game. I am incorporating a day and night system

Oh, that's fine. Is some ideas interlope I don't have a problem with it. Originally I wanted to do a totally new DQ fan game with these graphics but I wanted to teach myself discipline with working on

It's a shame this is in rock as it means I can't play it on my win 7 machine

...what?

Oh, perhaps that's an autocorrect of RM2K? I play RM2K games on my win 7 box all the time. No compatibility issues.

I meant rm2k3 lol. My tablet autocorrected the spelling. The problem with rm2k3 is the rtp doesn't install on win 7 machines

• 2 weeks later...

Also there's no way to download the game off the site you linked

The game itself won't be downloadable until August 2015 as the target date. There' s a lot of monster vs. stat balancing, minigames, bonus areas, and overall playability issues that I don't have enough time to swiftly iron out. It'll be well worth the wait when it arrives.

However, if you want to test the game, PM me and I'll let you know how you can become a tester. This'll give you a sneak peek of how the game is going thus far.

Edited by Ljink

Also there's no way to download the game off the site you linked

The game itself won't be downloadable until August 2015 as the target date. There' s a lot of monster vs. stat balancing, minigames, bonus areas, and overall playability issues that I don't have enough time to swiftly iron out. It'll be well worth the wait when it arrives.

However, if you want to test the game, PM me and I'll let you know how you can become a tester. This'll give you a sneak peek of how the game is going thus far.

I'd love to be a beta tester. I'll shoot you a pm

• 1 year later...

Hey guy's it's been a while hasn't it! I've been updating all of Dragon Quest +'s profiles and am now updating this site. I mention, "Father" a lot so here's the reference: http://rpgmaker.net/manage_games/6208/images/

Here's the blog that was recently posted:

This game is still very well in development but if you haven't noticed I've pushed the release back at least 6 months. I hate to pull a Eiji Aonuma but there's a method behind my madness.

I kinda REALLY want this game to be as faithful to Dragon Quest as possible. In essence, this really boils down to the integration of the battle system. Ideas from Father are being mixed with ideas from Dragon Quest in their own ways. While working on the battle system for Father I realized that this is just a dumbed down Dragon Quest battle system that I'm working on. So now I will replicate the traditional on screen battle system.

It's quite simple and to do this I will be using the actual algorithms from the NES and SNES games to calculate damage, level up stats, and basically render 2k3's engine as basically a text display engine. I want to do my own battle system because in 2k3 it's very hard to do a Dragon Quest game because of how stats are calculated. Another upside to this is now, you can fight on your own terms. I will not be using random battles or custom step counters. It'll be more like Dragon Quest IX.

The game will also be using the Japanese translation so no more "thous" and "thee". This makes it easier to release translations for French and Spanish. I currently have a team on deck that will help in the French translation over on the Dragon Quest Fan site. I think I will be able to handle the Spanish Translation by myself. So be ready for names like Garai instead of Garinham and Ludatorm instead of Tantegel.

The shops will also be a modified version from my other RPG, "Father". I'm having a lot of fun working on this game and I want this to be a truly great project. Of the 3 years this game has been in development, I probably spent around 4 months full time on this game. To put that in perspective, the 6-8 months that I expect to work on the battle system and shops, I will probably use 1-2 months on the game.

I am a HUGE Dragon Quest fan and I'm doing my beast to make an authentic experience on a game engine that's 12 years old. I urge you to wait just a bit longer, it'll be well worth the wait.

Also, here's a sneak peek at one of the bonus dungeons, Orochii Volcano

Orochii_Volcano.png

I'm going all out with this one, it will be extremely faithful to Dragon Quest but will also provide extras that should keep you playing for a few hours extra. I'm currently working on the battle system and I must say, it's going smoother than I expected. A lot of pointers and coordinates but nothing too bad.

Edited by Ljink
  • Upvote 1

;) I LOVE the idea of fixed encounters and looking at the screen shot of your game I got to say I look forward to giving your Dragon Quest + Game a spin. I'm sure it'll be a wonderful experience. I DO hope to see some more screenshots in the near future. 

EDIT: If you're still looking for Beta Testers I am more than happy to offer my services in that department :)

Edited by Slime Master

;) I LOVE the idea of fixed encounters and looking at the screen shot of your game I got to say I look forward to giving your Dragon Quest + Game a spin. I'm sure it'll be a wonderful experience. I DO hope to see some more screenshots in the near future. 

EDIT: If you're still looking for Beta Testers I am more than happy to offer my services in that department :)

I actually just came into a realization today that I will be reverting back to random encounters. I did this because I wanted to give Fairy Water or Holy Water better use. Sorry to change that aspect so quickly.

As for beta testing, I really want to wait to recruit more testers once I get the battle system up and running. The latest demo is about a year old and it's really no good. If you want to still test that one, I can get you on board but it won't be anything like the new one that I'm currently working on. Aesthetics have changed, event code has changed, it's overall more stable but there's no battle system as of yet. Currently converting my notes into the engine, which should take a good couple of months to complete.

However, if you'd wish to test the old version, I welcome you. All you need to do is PM me so I can give you the details.  I know this game will be a blast for Dragon Quest fans. I want this to be a very special game. Thanks for your support!!! :thumbsup:

;) You're welcome and I may just take you up on your offer to test out the old version some time, I'm a fairly patient guy though so I'm more than willing to wait for the new version since it looks like it's gonna be amazing and from what you're saying far better than your current work. (I know how that can be, considering I'm working on an RM2K game myself :3 )

;) You're welcome and I may just take you up on your offer to test out the old version some time, I'm a fairly patient guy though so I'm more than willing to wait for the new version since it looks like it's gonna be amazing and from what you're saying far better than your current work. (I know how that can be, considering I'm working on an RM2K game myself :3 )

No pressure! I would urge you to wait as well. Once I get the battle system in check, the game will be in much better shape. RPG Maker 2003 isn't an engine that promotes Dragon Quest style gaming and had I known that before hand, I wouldn't have used it. But now, I'm using my own formulas, the game will be much more balanced. Kudos to waiting! I hope your game goes well, if you need any resources...I just ran into a ton of them and they're really good and haven't been seen on this site or any other resource site. Hit me up if you want them. They're from DQ3,5 and 6 SNES.

;) Awesome stuff man, and thanks for the offer, incedently I have some resources myself if you would like me to pass them on. Some of them are repaints of monsters ripped from Dragon Quest IV-VI DS and Dragon Quest VII :3 (I even have some Torneko Monsters and characters too) Of course the ripping was done by a couple of awesome friends of mine, I only did the colors :laugh:

Kudos to waiting! I hope your game goes well, if you need any resources...I just ran into a ton of them and they're really good and haven't been seen on this site or any other resource site. Hit me up if you want them. They're from DQ3,5 and 6 SNES.

You mind sending them my way? I've been ripping resources for the GBC version of 3 but it's taking significantly longer than expected.

So, you're changing graphical styles then? I'll send you the zip file soon.

Kudos to waiting! I hope your game goes well, if you need any resources...I just ran into a ton of them and they're really good and haven't been seen on this site or any other resource site. Hit me up if you want them. They're from DQ3,5 and 6 SNES.

You mind sending them my way? I've been ripping resources for the GBC version of 3 but it's taking significantly longer than expected.

So, you're changing graphical styles then? I'll send you the zip file soon.

Most likely. The only benefit for the GBC version is it'll be far easier to create custom character sprites, but I'll figure something out.

And thanks!

It's easier, indeed. It's your game but I liked the GBC graphics you use in your game. I hope you find help in the resources but I'd also consider taking up Jamirus's offer. The GBC graphics makes your game stand out imo.

• 2 months later...

Hiya folks, new update: This is the blog I posted on the site btw.

We're here guys. The final stretch of Dragon Quest +. The battle system, although still being worked on, is coming together nicely. The menu system won't be like Classic Dragon Quest games. It will be recycling my other game's menu system but it will be re-arranged a considerable amount.

The extra content is also coming together nicely and will entail getting a ship that can sail undersea, a flying carpet, a volcano, ice cave, and 4 towers placed in the overworld and under the sea that allow you to reach the game's last final boss(es). I don't want to give out too much but it's gonna be worth the wait.

I implore you to wait a years time to get everything tight and compact. With the games that I have released and games that I didn't release, they were incomplete and lacked direction. At least with this one, I'll see what a finished game takes to be completed. I can't wait for everyone to try it out.

Changes being made to game:

-No more party members. You are the only party member in the main and post game. This'll be a great journey to take by yourself though.

-Menu doesn't follow Dragon Quest's simple menu system. It's much more visual. You will get a taste of Battle and Menu systems in June.

-1 extra continent will be added to Alefgard, thus breaking the "canon" of the game if you will.

Just a small update for you guys. From here on out, it's gonna be a stretch but my hope is that this game becomes the best version of Dragon Quest 1 you can play. Thank you for your patience.

And some new screens:

Suno_Continent.png
The new Suno Continent. It's Japanese for snow.

Deep_Sea_Map.pngDeep Sea Alefgard

Underwater.png

Mercado.png

Final Overworld:

Final_Overworld.png

I hope you are all looking forward to the final game.

Edited by Ljink

That is looking amazing.  Nice work and thanks for the great update.

Thanks! Glad you like it :D

Beautiful stuff mang! I'm glad this project is still alive and in the works!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, some new screenshots that outline some custom systems.

Custom_Menu_Inital_Design.png

Everything basically works. I'm debating overlapping images like traditional or an all in one menu like the one above. The benefit of this one is everything is easy access and it's much easier for me to do events for. It's getting positive feedback on rpg maker.net so I think I'll stick with it.

Hero_Name_Screen_Initial.png

And, this is the hero name screen. You can only use upper and lower letters, 0-9, Underscore and Exclaim. And yeah, it's 4 letters. The good thing about doing a custom name system is that your name is tied to a number, so depending on what additive number your name makes, your stats will change. So if you're name is AAAA, your additive number will be 4 which does something to how you grow. I'm not telling what percentile does what but one name and one name only will get you double XP and Gold.

Just a little update for you guys. Nothing major, hope you're excited for the game.

Damn. Beautiful (love the menu)!

Thanks for your support! Glad that it's getting a good response.

Ljink, while I personally prefer the traditional DQ menu system, I've got to say what you have there looks really well done.

• Upvote 1

Ljink, while I personally prefer the traditional DQ menu system, I've got to say what you have there looks really well done.

I have to say I would agree with you. I prefer the overlapping menus with text, I'm as oldschool as it gets. It's just that RPG Maker 2003 is old, it isn't made for this type of game as it doesn't support many on screen images at one time. If there is a future project, I will most definitely not be using RPG Maker 2003. But it's fun working with limitations, it makes you get creative :D Glad you like the final outcome though.

• 1 month later...

Just a few new screenshots to keep interest:

New_Ludatorm.pngChurch.pngCharacter_Portrait.pngLudatorm_Castle.pngRain_Shrine.png

The main take away from this is the hero now has to gain the legendary armor and weapon in order to be depicted in Roto's Armor. Yes,Roto. I'm using the official Japanese Translation for this game, so Fireball, Ludatorm, Garai, Zoom...get used to it. No, thou or thee unless it's in the Japanese script which isn't often.

Currently working on the Battle system. RPG Maker 2k3 is giving me trouble because it's not really supposed to be able to do the DQ style battle system on screen. So that's a challenge but I'm working through it. I'll show off first battle screens sometime in June. Hope you are looking forward to the game.

Hope you are looking forward to the game.

Indeed I am! It definitely is one of the neatest and cleanest looking DQ fan games out there. Can't wait to see how the battle system shapes up.