Sign in to follow this  
Megalosaro

Slime-themed keyboard

It's awesome :3

I am supposed to push function-slime, which one! :)

No we're talking! I was just thinking that I could use a Japanese keyboard for that game since there are small differences in the keyboard layout (like where the ^ is located).

That is so very awesome. I must have one!

I laughed when I saw the king slime face plastered on the space bar :P

I've been thinking about where I would get a compatible keyboard, since I'd want one for DQX. This'd be awesome, but would they bring it over if we get the game? And if we don't get the keyboard, would importing be a good idea? I don't know if that region blocking also applies to the controls and what not.

Keyboards don't face any region blocks.There are some key differences though. Click here to see a picture of a Japanese keyboard (since you can't zoom in as well on the Slime one). and compare it to your own you will notice that above 6 isn't ^ instead its &. Now, this means that if you plug your computer keyboard (assuming it is USB) into your Japanese Wii if you type SHIFT-6 it will produce a & sign instead of the ^ sign on the key you pressed. Computers set up for a Japanese keyboard and Japanese Wiis convert a keyboards "SHIFT-6" into & no matter what the keyboard key claims it should be producing.

So if you are planning on connecting the Slime Keyboard to a Japanese Wii it will be better than a normal keyboard. If you want to plug it into a NA Wii or computer than you will need to have memorized the layout of all they keys.

people named chitoshi are lucky. Their name is the equivalent of our asd keys. What does shift do on a Japanese keyboard, Mimas? Katakana?

I laughed when I saw the king slime face plastered on the space bar :P

I've been thinking about where I would get a compatible keyboard, since I'd want one for DQX. This'd be awesome, but would they bring it over if we get the game? And if we don't get the keyboard, would importing be a good idea? I don't know if that region blocking also applies to the controls and what not.

Should be safe to import, I used the Gamecube keyboard controller that ASCii japan put out for Phantasy Star Online. Aside from some key placement to get used to it worked great.

For those worried about it being Wii only, don't worry -- it's likely going to be a standard USB Keyboard.

Looks awesome!!! I want one!

I am buying this for sure, but I don't think I will actually use it because I want it to stay nice looking. I will have it on display near my games like I do with my other Slime stuff (PS2 controllers and DS Speaker Stand)

Kicking this back up because I actually got this, and it arrived last week. I've been using it regularly at home. Mimas, did you end up getting it too?

268330_10151071697614674_1958002741_n.jpg

When it's connected to my PC, it functions just like an American keyboard. The buttons do what they would on an American keyboard, even if the stuff printed on it isn't the same. The only things I had to get used to were, because it's Japanese, the tiny backspace button and tiny spacebar. Haha.

I'm not even sure if I'll use it when I get DQX because I'm enjoying it so much as a regular use keyboard!

Edited by Michi

Yep, I got mine this week as well. I will post pictures of it latter. It is adorable, but I can't say that I am 100% happy. It has a nice long cord so that I can sit on the couch and play, But it isn't very study, so it might be better off not being used. Mine ended up falling on the floor, and not only did all the slimes and the stairs fall off, but also the space key. I was able to put it back in but it hasn't been the same. A dog tail can also send the slimes flying. But boy the thing is cute. Same problem with the key location of course, but I will get used to it. I need to refind special character keys as well. Even when I studied abroad I didn't get close to mastering a Japanese keyboard.

So, Michi, when are you getting the game then?

I haven't had any issues with it on my desk, but man! I can imagine it not feeling sturdy on your lap/trying to play, so yeah, this will stay as my PC keyboard.

I won't be getting Dragon Quest X until it comes out in America... I can't really justify a Japanese Wii or Wii U AND the game right now. :( I hope it comes out on Wii U here.

I went to buy a slime keyboard with my copy of the game but it went ouf of stock while I waffled on my decision :(

Was googling around a bit but can't tell if that was a one-time special or if it'll actually come back into stock at some point... I hope they do another run!

I won't be getting Dragon Quest X until it comes out in America... I can't really justify a Japanese Wii or Wii U AND the game right now. :( I hope it comes out on Wii U here.

Guess I am just going to have to get an American Wii U as well. Though it would be nice if they have some sort of server overlap.

Guess I am just going to have to get an American Wii U as well. Though it would be nice if they have some sort of server overlap.

The extent to which I wish Wii U would be region-free is nearly unexplainable. I've basically resigned myself to the fact that I'm only ever again playing Nintendo games in Japanese, which is honestly fine since I am basically comfortable in Japanese, but it would just be nice to have the choice!

And I sure hope the Wii U version of DQX shares the same servers. I'd hate to lose my character.

I went to buy a slime keyboard with my copy of the game but it went ouf of stock while I waffled on my decision :(

Was googling around a bit but can't tell if that was a one-time special or if it'll actually come back into stock at some point... I hope they do another run!

I hate to be the bringer of bad news, but a few different shops here in Tokyo told me it was a limited run and they don't expect them back. If you search it on biccamera.com, they don't even have the listing, er, listed anymore.

That said, Mimas is totally right about the build quality. The slimes sit up there just DYING to fall off at the slightest brush of a hand or controller cable. Even the keys themselves aren't terribly pleasant to type on. It's definitely the cutest thing ever, but practical it ain't.

I hate to be the bringer of bad news, but a few different shops here in Tokyo told me it was a limited run and they don't expect them back. If you search it on biccamera.com, they don't even have the listing, er, listed anymore.

That said, Mimas is totally right about the build quality. The slimes sit up there just DYING to fall off at the slightest brush of a hand or controller cable. Even the keys themselves aren't terribly pleasant to type on. It's definitely the cutest thing ever, but practical it ain't.

Argh! I was holding out hope since it's still listed at the square store: http://store.jp.square-enix.com/detail/4961818017870 (out of stock, nothing seems to say it will or won't restock). It's also listed on the hori website. You're probably right though, thanks!

For me, DQX is all about impracticality. I don't know the language, and had to go through quite a few hoops to even get the game and get online. So a flimsy slime keyboard would be right up that alley.

Now I'll debate if it's worth paying a premium from some store :/ ...and hope someone didn't steal the item codes out of it already. I thought the game was coming out in september for some reason, so I wasn't ready with preorders. had to scramble two days after it launched.

The extent to which I wish Wii U would be region-free is nearly unexplainable. I've basically resigned myself to the fact that I'm only ever again playing Nintendo games in Japanese, which is honestly fine since I am basically comfortable in Japanese, but it would just be nice to have the choice!

And I sure hope the Wii U version of DQX shares the same servers. I'd hate to lose my character.

Yeah, I figured that I would just get a Japanese Wii U (I just can't even hope for it to be region free after the 3DS) and play everything in Japanese. But with all my freinds on the Den getting it in English, I will need to find some way to play with them. (At this point I think I would be happy just being able to use the same server an be way overpowered ^_^;.) They already confirmed that the WiiU will be on the same servers so the only thing you will not be able to move over is the offline game (since they don't even allow that to get copied).

This reminds me of how I'm probably just going to get a Japanese 3DS if they don't hurry up and announce Rocket Slime and Dragon Quest Monsters for America.

I dunno, I've been using it regularly for a month now and I've gotten pretty used to it. :)