Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Saigan

DQ Podcast Pilot planning

Hey all I'm back from my Diablo 3 gaming coma and back to planning the podcast. Currently I have 5 people in mind for heading up this project on a regular basis, note that we may have guests in the future as well.

Here are those at the top of mylist for cast/crew-

Gloomy, with your radio and RSS experience I would greatly love your help in this project even if you'd prefer to shy away from the microphone and assist with the technical aspects.

Dwaine, you're both an active Den member and webmaster for the DQ Shrine. Your posts are clear and rational... or amusing pictures.

Mimas, no one brings us DQ news from Japan like you do. Even if you only want to do a news segment having you around would be a huge help!

Destructor526, you have extensive game knowledge and I'd love you to assist/lead a DQMJ2 segment on the show.

LordRoto, like Destructor you have both in-game knowledge and experience in being a well-known voice to the English speaking DQ community.

Pilot:

I expect the first attempt to record this will be largely technical as we try and get recording software and volume levels worked out. My plan is to use Skype and simply record the audio off of it to be edited and produced/published afterwards. If anyone has a better method I am all ears.

As far as the podcast for the Pilot is concerned...

Introductions - this part is obvious.

Discuss - since it is the pilot I feel it is fitting that after we introduce ourselves we will each take a turn to share how we got into Dragon Quest and share what our first game in the series was, as well as what our favorite game in the series is.

Entry Point - I'm sure we'll get several listeners who have never *gasp* played a DQ game before, so a discussion on the best entry point could be valuable.

I typically have fridays open all day and can make time saturday evenings. The rest of the week I work but can work in two hours of free time later in the evening those days. Let's work towards our first recording date.

Suggestions? Concerns? Any input from the community as a whole is welcome.

Sounds awesome. I'm glad to see this is moving forward. Good luck with coordinating it all.

Up for whatever though five or so people might be a bit too many for a 'cast, would be happy to do behind the scenes stuff as well. Either way I'm in.

Sweeeeet. And techically that's 6 people with saigan himself. But word up this is exciting. I s'posed we'll just have to work on a good way to let others know somebody is ready to speak, last thing we'll want is people being always cut off. Then the listener doesn't know what's what :D But still Radical. Feel free to add my Skype "LordRoto" any tizime. Looking forward to this

awesome! can't wait.

I'd have to learn how to get a Skype account, hopefully one of my computers can handle it. My laptop should be able to, at least audio which is all we need. This might force me to buy a smartphone sooner which I did want to do anyway :).

Might as well say when I'm available. I currently work Monday through Friday 9AM-5PM Eastern Standard Time. I get home around 6 so any day is probably fine provided it's after 6, but weekends are fine if I get notice and Friday night is cool too. Starting June 11th, I might have a different schedule as I'm still in training. My guess is it will still be around 9-5 or 10-6 (should still be off for weekends), but it seems like weekends or Friday night is what probably works best for most people.

Oh and thanks for keeping me in mind. Never done a podcast, but am excited about trying it.

Thanks very much for the invitation! Sounds good so far. I've been meaning to get Skype for some time now, although I don't have a microphone and not sure how well the one with my laptop's webcam will work. Full disclosure about my voice, though. My throat closes up from time to time making me occasionally stammer. Most of the time I'm OK and it's been something I've been working on. If you think I sound too terrible, just let me know.

Sounds interesting. I'll be watching or listening whichever might be right.

Dwaine you'll do fine lol as will everybody I'm sure, as long as everybody finds a suitable mic XD

Sweeeeet. And techically that's 6 people with saigan himself. But word up this is exciting. I s'posed we'll just have to work on a good way to let others know somebody is ready to speak, last thing we'll want is people being always cut off. Then the listener doesn't know what's what :D But still Radical. Feel free to add my Skype "LordRoto" any tizime. Looking forward to this

Yep, I had a hard time removing any of you from consideration.

Gloomy- that would be just fine. Is skype an appropriate tool for us to use for a voice conference? Do you have software suggestions?

Dwaine- don't stress the stuttering. We'll see how it goes- this first podcast is largely experimental.

Destructor and LordRoto happy to have you with us! I know not everyone is going to have a good microphone just hanging around but I'm sure something can be worked out.

Still waiting to hear from Mimas :D

Looks like both Destructor and I can swing Friday or Saturday evenings, is everyone ok working on eastern time?

I'm Pacific Time. I don't get home until 6:30 pm, so that is 9:30 ET. Hope that isn't an issue.

Dwaine- don't stress the stuttering. We'll see how it goes- this first podcast is largely experimental.

Like I said, most of the time it's not bad. Phones and giving orders at a restaurant are my weakness. I'm on central time, which is an hour behind eastern. Some days I'm home on Saturday, some days I'm home on Friday. I'll know closer to the date.

Mimas, glad to have you. Looks like we are definitely aiming for a fri/day evening.

Up for whatever though five or so people might be a bit too many for a 'cast

I have to agree with this. At least, too many to continuously be on the mic. I haven't listened to many podcasts, but I know in radio 3's the magic number. Good luck either way.

Saigan: A lot of people tend to use Garageband for Mac OS or Audacity for Windows, you can approach the recording in a lot of ways. Each person records one track then emails them to someone to edit together, one person records the whole thing using their computer, and there are various software, wiretap for Mac OS, Skype Recorder for Windows.

Any time I've had to do anything like this I've used Garageband and recorded all the audio on one computer, so that's a way to go. Can talk you through if you need help.

Up for whatever though five or so people might be a bit too many for a 'cast

I have to agree with this. At least, too many to continuously be on the mic. I haven't listened to many podcasts, but I know in radio 3's the magic number. Good luck either way.

As long as we make sure nobody talks over anyone, it will probably be OK. If it goes forward people could also alternate weeks.

yeah, we have to find a good way to let everybody know we have something to say, and even if there are pauses between, we can always cut that out in editing

yeah, we have to find a good way to let everybody know we have something to say, and even if there are pauses between, we can always cut that out in editing

Well, with Skype you can be using the chat (messenger) with the group while also carrying on the conversation. Perhaps this can be used to some extent to control who speaks. You just have to make sure the key-board typing doesn't come through the microphone. You can always mute your mic while typing.

I like the idea of cycling people actually- for the pilot let's have myself, LordRoto, Destructor, and Dwaine. We can introduce Mimas for japanese DQ news and Gloomy as our production/technical advisor.

As far as tech is concerned I still plan to use Skype and I'm going to use Skype Call Recorder which is pretty bare bones but I don't want to invest in any fancy software until we know that this will move forward past a single episode. The first night we do this I will be in and out of the call tweaking sound levels and getting a solid recording with the software, Gloomy are you comfortable with handling some light editing and committing this to RSS/etc? I know Roto and myself can put it up on our youtube channels but I know it would also be seen elsewhere.

Mimas, has there been any recent news from japan? News on the beta? TW3D? Slime Mori Mori 3?

Destructor, Roto, Dwaine- since the focus in the pilot will be an introduction to both ourselves and the series think on which games got you into the series and why as well as which ones you would recommend to a newcomer. For me DW1 got me into it, my dad and I took turns playing and we both beat the game same day, I would suggest either DQ3,8, or 9 to anyone looking to get into the series. DQMJ2 to a pokemon fan :P If we have overlapping opinions that is a good place to generate some discussion.

I want to push for getting the pilot recorded as soon as mid-June if it all possible.

edit: grammar

Have you drafted any ideas as to what to name the podcast or refer to the group collectively?

What will the recorder format those as when you save them? Do you want me to start a page to store them here?

Have you drafted any ideas as to what to name the podcast or refer to the group collectively?

Nope! Open to suggestions!

What will the recorder format those as when you save them? Do you want me to start a page to store them here?

It saves as MP3s, yes a page here on the Den would be a great place for them :D I think I'll also poke around the SE forums, if we link to them there we can probably get some more listeners.

Well, the question on news is how old of news do you want to have. Whats new news now won't be new news when the podcast is recorded, and it won't be as new after the podcast is edited. Is the news segment going into the pilot, or the second edition? If the podcast is monthly, should it be a months worth of news? Are we discussing the news, or just giving it?

For conversations I agree that using the Skype messaging makes sense. I would suggest that when someone wants to talk they type "REQ" or something, and the MC (Saigan?) would then type out who gets the next shot.

I was thinking perhaps we could do an informal chat between the people involved. Not an episode, but more of to get to know each other so it could possibly help us for our first episode and others. Could help with chemistry.

koZky.gif