Sign in to follow this  
FranckyFox2468

DQ at E3 2012.

lmao, mhollen you do make me laugh. I'm not comparing MH to DQ as two different series. But as the userbase difference between japan and europe/america is almost identical. If you want to continue to argue that, please go ahead even if it's pointless XD Monster Hunter and Dragon Quest just have a similar fate, extremely popular in japan, a niche series here in the states or europe. Though europe has got less DQ games then america, so over there it's allowed.

Now that that is covered, if you're still with me, I know this is hard to follow lol. Capcom realized that MH doesn't sell well. And if they wanted it to thrive outside of japan, they would need to adjust accordingly. Thus the Online fee that was acceptable in japan, was wavered. And MHTri moved on to surpass Brawl and become the most played game on the wii. So it would seem that their gamble paid off yes?

Alright now onto DQX. It does have a few things going for it where Tri didn't. First off if they release X straight to the wii u early on in it's lifetime, it will jump the gun on other RPGs and may bring in the peeps that way. In which case the fee could work. But it would only keep a small number of players playing past the first month. However, if nintendo and square are able to overcome the fees, waver them, and launch the game as free to play beyond the purchase, then it has the potential to be a hit. And a big hit. They have to think carefully, because if they pull it off right. Dragon Quest X has the potential to be the best selling DQ title in the states and europe.

See? If you look at the market, it's not hard to see where it could go based on a business standpoint. I have no idea where you thought I was comparing the games as games or whatever, so I appologise for that. But don't put words in my mouth when you assumed wrong of my speculation. It could go either way, but I don't give three flaps. I just want DQ to be popular outside of japan.

Also the hate for the wii U and it not being a viable platform for this MMO? That's pretty radical don't you think? Do you honestly think that horii and the entire team behind this game, the executives at square and the people who approved it at nintendo just said. LETS DO EET!? They also analyzed the market, and tons of peeps have poured everything they had into this game. They believe it would be a success. So why don't you?

And the reason I still have faith it will come here, is Nintendo's comitment to helping the series in america. it was iwata that came on stage when both DQ IX and X were announced for development, and it was he himself who said that nintendo would work hard to make both entries successful outside of japan. And I believe them, I have faith, and I will take how well DQ IX did as testament to something greater to come.

Isn't this just like Monster Hunter?

• Upvote 1

Isn't this just like Monster Hunter?

il1jaw.gif

• Upvote 1

Right?

mhp3rd_dragonquestix_thumb.jpg

lol be carefull how you say that around here apparently

also dwaine lol, nice

*twitch, flames*

I actually don't have a lot of hate for the Wii U, but a lot of hate for Nintendo's online strategy. Unless they just let Square do their own thing and provide the entryway technology, I do NOT see DQX succeeding. But if Nintendo had their way, DQX would be a friend-code-filled "funfest" with locked DLC-quests on the disk and... bah, I'll have to see it succeed to believe it.

Unless Nintendo starts using an account-based (( Example, your Club Nintendo account )) system for their games, or allows Square Enix to have it's own account system (( and likely a channel or app that would be tied to it, I'll get into that in a moment )) it would be awkward.

What I see?

I come home from class and fire up the Wii U. There's an app/channel for DQX on the main screen that shows I have a message from... let's say you, LordRoto. You want to party when I log in. I fire up DQX, and log in using an account, and I go to the main hubworld, where there's plenty of people/vendors/etc.

We meet up, and go have a good-ol-time.

OR.

Nintendo's way, I log in, possibly have an app, fire up the game, and we connect to each other via friend-codes and it's just us with nobody else.

I don't want to see that.

Lastly, I will continue to beat that dead horse, DQX will have fees here. Of some kind. I honestly see the title having a -low- fee in the US to get gamers to come, probably the equivilant of 400MSP a month (( $5, I think Nintendo's point system is similar to Microsofts )), or it will have a large shop with cosmetics (( Example would be the cosplay gear from DQIX )) and some perks.

I just can't see a MMO suceeding without a money-cash flow. Like I said, even Guild Wars eventually made a shop.

Well there we go, the only difference in the end, is I'm more opimistic than you, or rather, you look at the future, examine the best case scenario, then look at the worst, then go with the worst. And if that's how you choose to. Who am I to complain XD

All I do is watch the market, I follow the paths that have the rumors of an account tied to your system, that it spans the web. That nintendo will have a cloud like service to host profile data.

I find it funny though, that you would bash nintendo and say they use disk based DLC. When, till the most recent fire emblem, has never charged for extra content like that, the DLC quest for IX? I didn't remember them costing anything. They were created to keep the player playing, not paying. I know they look the same, but one word has an l in it. Sneaky! lol I'm just being a goober.

I realize this topic is about speculation, about hopes, and about doubts. And that not getting your hopes up is an easy way to go about it, so that you don't get hurt. But I love this series too much. So I will always fight for it, and think of a posative future. That's why I make videos of Dragon Quest, thats why I try so hard to get new gamers, younger gamers, to join in, and have their own adventures.

I pray mhollen, that your negative view, doesn't make you any more bitter. When we have so much fun, and new adventures to look forward too.

With that, I will see ya'll after e3. Then we'll see what path Nintendo will follow.

For what it's worth, I'm sorry you got so frustrated by my point of view, and reguardless, when DQX comes out in the states, in whatever form, I will be happy to party up with you :)

Edited by LordRoto

No, I never said that they use it (regularly), but they likely will. DQIX's "dlc" was all on the cartridge, and easily unlocked via Action Replay. :P

I'm personally hoping that with the Wii U Nintendo DOES "get it" and embrace some of the things they've taken for granted.

Although I will forever be extremely bitter about Nintendo's smartphone bias, I'd LOVE, LOVE to see iOS ports of VC titles. I'd pay $5 for Legend of Zelda (again).

I actually don't have a lot of hate for the Wii U, but a lot of hate for Nintendo's online strategy. Unless they just let Square do their own thing and provide the entryway technology, I do NOT see DQX succeeding. But if Nintendo had their way, DQX would be a friend-code-filled "funfest" with locked DLC-quests on the disk and... bah, I'll have to see it succeed to believe it.

Someone's stuck in the past, I see. If Nintendo had their way, there'd be one friend-code. The one linked to your Wii U, which is the SAME THING as an account. This would also mean you don't have to log in, which is just a waste of time. (Or they could go the Monster Hunter Tri route, but you seem firmly convinced that that's not happening...)

Nintendo's way, I log in, possibly have an app, fire up the game, and we connect to each other via friend-codes and it's just us with nobody else.

You SURE this isn't Monster Hunter? That said, not having a hub rather defeats the purpose, and as demonstrated in the Japanese beta, isn't how it goes.

Lastly, I will continue to beat that dead horse, DQX will have fees here. Of some kind. I honestly see the title having a -low- fee in the US to get gamers to come, probably the equivilant of 400MSP a month (( $5, I think Nintendo's point system is similar to Microsofts )), or it will have a large shop with cosmetics (( Example would be the cosplay gear from DQIX )) and some perks.

Microsoft goes with 80 points to a dollar. Nintendo used to use 100 points to a dollar, but as of the 3DS has said "**** it" and just has a digital wallet.

No, I never said that they use it (regularly), but they likely will. DQIX's "dlc" was all on the cartridge, and easily unlocked via Action Replay. :P

Yeah, those poorly hacked codes that put in viral dummied quests were totally awesome! (No, they really weren't and aren't.)

Although I will forever be extremely bitter about Nintendo's smartphone bias, I'd LOVE, LOVE to see iOS ports of VC titles. I'd pay $5 for Legend of Zelda (again).

Ah, you're one of those people. While they would be great for the consumer, it would kill Nintendo. Let's face it, when the biggest motivation for anyone to buy your company's hardware is to play your software, it's an idiotic move to put your software on things that AREN'T your hardware. This specific suggestion would help Apple significantly more than Nintendo, especially given Apple's iOS policies. (Nice cut they take.)

Edited by RPG Wizard

I could also point out Everquest Online Adventures for the PS2 which handled all of its patches just fine. Regardless of your feelings about Monster Hunter as an MMO/not-an-MMO I think we are all in agreeance that Everquest is in fact an MMO. It was released on the PS2 and did not require an HDD. The Wii is a pretty slick system and it doesn't get near enough credit.

qU09P.jpg

it's too early for a international release of X.

don't expect one until December or early next year.

qU09P.jpg

Mask_Salesman_rage.gif

bC4pR.gif

I never said anything against Everquest. O_o

The PS2 console ports/semiports of MMOs worked fine from what I saw, I had FFXI on the PC, however.

Yeah, those poorly hacked codes that put in viral dummied quests were totally awesome! (No, they really weren't and aren't.)

Yes they were. At the time of my owning DQX, I did not have access to reliable WiFi, and those codes royally helped me out. That and the skip dialogue code for replays.

Ah, you're one of those people. While they would be great for the consumer, it would kill Nintendo. Let's face it, when the biggest motivation for anyone to buy your company's hardware is to play your software, it's an idiotic move to put your software on things that AREN'T your hardware. This specific suggestion would help Apple significantly more than Nintendo, especially given Apple's iOS policies. (Nice cut they take.)

They take 15-30%, depending on app cost. And it wouldn't kill Nintendo. At the least they could release a couple smartphone/iOS titles that are based on IP. Hell, the first Four Swords title would be perfect on an iPod Touch / iPhone / iPad. Nintendo just has a bias. They've said it in interviews and such that they are more than just "not interested", it was more of a "haha, no way in hell" because of their reliance on hardware. I'm not saying they should port Zelda to the 360, but a couple Nintendo smartphone apps would sell really well.

And what's with the anime girls going ":o"? I don't get it.

Edited by mhollan3

Thanks for breaking the chain...

• Upvote 1

Yes they were. At the time of my owning DQX, I did not have access to reliable WiFi, and those codes royally helped me out. That and the skip dialogue code for replays.

And the increased run speed, alchemy ingredients never decrease, spawn fights with a button combination from your monster book..all royally helping people out! Misses my point about the fact that pretty much anyone who used the "all quests" cheat has a dummied quest that virally afflicts anyone they ever choose to play multiplayer with. (Yes I'm annoyed about it, because I now have to sit down and figure out how to remove it...and that'll probably require a chest device.)

They take 15-30%, depending on app cost. And it wouldn't kill Nintendo. At the least they could release a couple smartphone/iOS titles that are based on IP. Hell, the first Four Swords title would be perfect on an iPod Touch / iPhone / iPad. Nintendo just has a bias. They've said it in interviews and such that they are more than just "not interested", it was more of a "haha, no way in hell" because of their reliance on hardware. I'm not saying they should port Zelda to the 360, but a couple Nintendo smartphone apps would sell really well.

15-30% that could instead stay in the developer's pocket of they had a means for selling their media. And I question what world you live in where choosing to release your software on competitor's products so that they can take up to 30% of the profits is a smart business decision, especially when you have your own content delivery system. You're essentially saying "Put Zelda on a Windows Phone", which while not the 360, is just as ludicrous a business decision. It's already known that Nintendo software sells really well on app-phones, as demonstrated by the several bootleggers who sold Nintendo software before getting busted for it. I mean, did you not hear about the Pokemon Yellow app on iOS? Sold ridiculously well. Giving up marketshare by putting your million-selling software on a competitor's product is just stupid business. Unless you're expecting Nintendo to go the way of Sega, (which, let's face it, has been struggling and nearly dead for years) it's just not going to happen.

And what's with the anime girls going " :o"? I don't get it.

XzQWi.jpg

speaking of DQ announcements at E3 i hope they announce something more about TW3d in the near future if not next year. but also DQX. all i know is that nintendo is really shooting themselves in the foot right now with the fact that there is not really any games coming out until after E3.

and DQ needs to get out of the whole MMORPG phase. seems like every game is on the bandwagon on that now. which is why im sticking with handhelds

and DQ needs to get out of the whole MMORPG phase. seems like every game is on the bandwagon on that now. which is why im sticking with handhelds

After how well DQ9 did... forget about it, it's over.

mhollan, you're kinda ruining this forum for me

now shut up and go play DQ8...

mhollan, you're kinda ruining this forum for me

now shut up and go play DQ8...

Buy me DQ8.

And someone needs to counteract all this misplaced optimism.

Edited by mhollan3

Get a job, hippie.

• Upvote 1

I go to college full time.

Update your site for DQX, hippie.

• Upvote 1